Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - ART BY KEI!
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ART BY KEI!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LillitOfBa'el
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: ART BY KEI! Reply with quote

Hey everyone! I decided to keep all of my fanart on one thread, so this is where I will be posting it ^^ Feel free to comment or ask questions! I like getting to know people.

Enjoy! - Kei
LillitOfBa'el
Streetrat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay! Here we go -

First, here is my OC Lillit - she's a golden djinn ^^

I'll be updating this profile sooner or later - it's kinda old and her design has become a bit more streamlined since.

Aaaaaaand obviously, I pair her with Genie. ^^

I'm writing a comic series that explains a lot about their relationship as well as relationships with other djinn, but mainly it's the story of how Genie finds out where he came from, etc. ^^

I also do X rated work but it's hidden deep in the internet, haha. If you're at all interested in taking a look at that stuff, hit me up :B

I love comments! All of the awesome comments I got last time were deleted so please feel free to comment again! ^^ Hope you enjoy.

- Kei
LillitOfBa'el
Streetrat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a wee baby Genie (Little Boy Blue!)

....and something I drew for Valentine's Day ^^
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it all Very Happy
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing work as I said before.

Old comments:

"I was never sold on Eden, so I don't mind Genie being paired with someone else."

"One of her interests is 'sex,' lawlz. So blunt."

Quote:
I also do X rated work

Really? Of Genie? :0 Like I said before, I just see Genie as asexual, so imagining him engaging in that sort of activity is so weird to me. I kind of thought everyone saw him that way, so it's really interesting to find someone who does see him as a sexual being.

Last edited by imekitty on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
LillitOfBa'el
Streetrat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imekitty wrote:
Really? Of Genie? :0 Like I said before, I just see Genie as asexual, so imagining him engaging in that sort of activity is so weird to me. I kind of thought everyone saw him that way, so it's really interesting to find someone who does seem him as a sexual being.

I know right?! I realize how weird it is. There are personal reasons but its really complicated, I could probably write a a few pages about it, haha. And not just sexual, but pansexual and polyamorous. I imagine djinn as being evvvveerythiiiing. Surprised They've been around so long that the illusion of heteronormativity kind of dissolves, haha.
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LillitOfBa'el wrote:
imekitty wrote:
Really? Of Genie? :0 Like I said before, I just see Genie as asexual, so imagining him engaging in that sort of activity is so weird to me. I kind of thought everyone saw him that way, so it's really interesting to find someone who does seem him as a sexual being.

I know right?! I realize how weird it is. There are personal reasons but its really complicated, I could probably write a a few pages about it, haha. And not just sexual, but pansexual and polyamorous. I imagine djinn as being evvvveerythiiiing. Surprised They've been around so long that the illusion of heteronormativity kind of dissolves, haha.

Related but as I get older and examine myself more closely I realize that a lot of characters I'm drawn towards are begging for interpretation about the details of their identity (in this case specifically his sexuality) and it's because of Genie. For me anyway, it's not about him being a sexual or non-sexual character so much as the fluidity present in his characterization that allows for him to comfortably fit in to multiple categories since binaries (and to some extent labels) are just not his thing. Genie is a pretty queer character in part thanks to him being a literal shapeshifter and his constant transcending of the text he's written in to, so I think he honors numerous readings because that's just how his character is meant to be read, which is why he's so universally appealing and speaks to a lot of people. Plus, you know he doesn't like to be trapped in to anything Laughing
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Related but as I get older and examine myself more closely I realize that a lot of characters I'm drawn towards are begging for interpretation about the details of their identity (in this case specifically his sexuality) and it's because of Genie. For me anyway, it's not about him being a sexual or non-sexual character so much as the fluidity present in his characterization that allows for him to comfortably fit in to multiple categories since binaries (and to some extent labels) are just not his thing. Genie is a pretty queer character in part thanks to him being a literal shapeshifter and his constant transcending of the text he's written in to, so I think he honors numerous readings because that's just how his character is meant to be read, which is why he's so universally appealing and speaks to a lot of people. Plus, you know he doesn't like to be trapped in to anything :lol:

That is the smartest thing I've ever heard anyone say about anything.

I just really never thought about it before. Genie was always such a side character to me that I never thought about him that deeply, but I like this new perspective a lot.
LillitOfBa'el
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Sorry for my absence - I started another job and it’s been kinda nutty. I’m still drawing plenty of these two and have lots of half-done answers to questions, so hang in there, I’ll be posting sooner than later ^^

Last edited by LillitOfBa'el on Wed May 18, 2016 1:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful, as always!!

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Related but as I get older and examine myself more closely I realize that a lot of characters I'm drawn towards are begging for interpretation about the details of their identity

Interesting!! Like who else?
Streetrat

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:

Related but as I get older and examine myself more closely I realize that a lot of characters I'm drawn towards are begging for interpretation about the details of their identity (in this case specifically his sexuality) and it's because of Genie. For me anyway, it's not about him being a sexual or non-sexual character so much as the fluidity present in his characterization that allows for him to comfortably fit in to multiple categories since binaries (and to some extent labels) are just not his thing. Genie is a pretty queer character in part thanks to him being a literal shapeshifter and his constant transcending of the text he's written in to, so I think he honors numerous readings because that's just how his character is meant to be read, which is why he's so universally appealing and speaks to a lot of people. Plus, you know he doesn't like to be trapped in to anything Laughing

Exactly! This is so well said. That’s why I love seeing other people’s interpretations of what the character means to them. They’re all so different. Mine is kind of a brain-fuck. Neutral If anyone is interested in hearing about it feel free to PM me...it's on the more personal side so it feels weird putting it up on public internet but I'm willing to share 1 on 1. ^^
LillitOfBa'el
Streetrat

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back at this thread it reads like it gives the impression that I'm all about this characters sexuality and that's it. :p Yikes, that's embarrassing. When I say that this thingy im making (it's a subtitled animatic) is personal, I don't mean it in that way at all. I'm working through some very key issues that I felt lent themselves well in helping to tell the story of the magical mass incarceration of an entire species of people through a Necronomicon, haha. Yup, a Necronomicon. It's mentioned in Q'uran.

Speaking of the Q'uran, it says that djinn, a species of demon, were created with a smokeless flame in the way that man is made from the earth. It also explains that djinn, like humans, are born, have families, age, and eventually die, but their aging process takes hundreds of thousands of years. I explain it in my story like this: they start out as babies at the same aging rate as humans, but as they age the process gets slower. So they remain children for a very short period of time considering their lifespan, but it takes them foreeeeeever and damn day to grow old.

My dorky-ass fan thingy explains why djinn were all trapped in the first place, their culture and social structure before the Impriosnment, why Genie has no name (other djinn refer to him as a 'Nameless'), and where he actually came from, and how Aladdin was basically destined to free him, how he grew up in his lamp, why the hell he knows so much about modern pop culture, etc etc. We discover as he does, because he starts out the story just as clueless about himself and his kind as we are. And yeah, it might get a little dark at times, but it's mainly got a lot of humor and heart to it...or at least that's what I tried to do. :B

And I'm in no way taking from the Q'uran like its the end all be all here, I'm not at all a religious person. ^^ Like the guys on Aladdin in the late 80s, Ive taken inspiration from a ton of weird sources haha. The way I see it, Agrabah is to the Middle East as Camelot is to Great Britian, both places based on a culture, but because they are fantasy worlds with lots of magic, all the rules go out the window ^^
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looking back at this thread it reads like it gives the impression that I'm all about this characters sexuality and that's it. :p Yikes, that's embarrassing.

I didn't read it that way at all!
Quote:

Speaking of the Q'uran, it says that djinn, a species of demon, were created with a smokeless flame in the way that man is made from the earth. It also explains that djinn, like humans, are born, have families, age, and eventually die, but their aging process takes hundreds of thousands of years. I explain it in my story like this: they start out as babies at the same aging rate as humans, but as they age the process gets slower. So they remain children for a very short period of time considering their lifespan, but it takes them foreeeeeever and damn day to grow old.

Have you read "The Golem and the Jinn" by Helene Wecker? I HIGHLY recommend it. One of the main characters is a Jinn, and a lot of the things you mention here are explored in that book. (Of course the author makes some stuff up too, but I love it.)

Quote:
The way I see it, Agrabah is to the Middle East as Camelot is to Great Britian, both places based on a culture, but because they are fantasy worlds with lots of magic, all the rules go out the window ^^

Good comparison!
Streetrat

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Have you read "The Golem and the Jinn" by Helene Wecker? I HIGHLY recommend it. One of the main characters is a Jinn, and a lot of the things you mention here are explored in that book. (Of course the author makes some stuff up too, but I love it.)

Ooooh! No I haven't. It sucks because I have so many books I need to catch up on, I love reading but I don't put the time in to do it Razz Gotta fix that...
But yeah I guess a lot of djinn stories have their own version of that basic storyline, and then the creator adds all of their own flairs, which is super cool. ^^
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same way. I plowed through the first 3 Harry Potter books last semester (I've never read them before, if you can believe it) and have been stuck on the same page of the fourth one for months. Razz

I read the first of the Jinni wars series too. It was okay. Kinda read like a fanfic IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum