Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Aladdin series DVD
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aladdin series DVD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fez_Head wrote:
Someone's high maintenance. :P

NO ONE messes with my favorite animated character's design and lives to talk about it. These artists are all dead to me! >:[

Nah, but really, I love looking at Glen Keane's model sheets (for all of his characters, not just Al) because they're so wonderfully detailed and expressive. He's really awesome at character design, so it just pains me to see Aladdin look so weird and/or plain when Glen's design for him is so unique and specific.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fez_Head wrote:
And which Anastasia DVD cover? I tried to do a quick Google search and quite a few unattractive ones popped up.

Good!

BAD - VERY BAD

Also pretty bad, but not as bad

This one's okay. Modeling is off, but they got the characters' attitudes right.

Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imekitty wrote:

NO ONE messes with my favorite animated character's design and lives to talk about it. These artists are all dead to me! >:[

Nah, but really, I love looking at Glen Keane's model sheets (for all of his characters, not just Al) because they're so wonderfully detailed and expressive. He's really awesome at character design, so it just pains me to see Aladdin look so weird and/or plain when Glen's design for him is so unique and specific.

Oh yeah, definitely not high maintenance Razz

I love looking at the animators', not just Glenn Keane's, model sheets. The expressions, the fluidity of the characters, I just can't. I wish I could draw. Sad

As for those Anastasia covers, those were the ones I saw. I just didn't know the specific one you were referring to. God, that second one is atrocious. Her eyes are... Shocked And Dimitri, good lord! That chin is massive!

You know what's also terrible? Have either of you ever seen The Swan Princess by past Disney animator, Richard Rich? The first three movies, which I have on VHS, were hand drawn animation (which was good, but definitely nothing compared to Glenn Keane or others), but then the company went with CGI for the next films!

Normal Odette!

CGI Odette!

You want to talk about ugly! This is horrendous. Like, why? Who made this choice and what were they smoking? Was it the same people with that Anastasia cover?

Rogers sums it up pretty well, I think.

AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a CGI Swan Princess movie??? Shocked
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were three! The Swan Princess Christmas, The Swan Princess: A Royal Family Tale (I think that's the one I got the picture from), and one that came out this year called Princess Today, Pirate Tomorrow. Yeah...Shocked
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..............................why.
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The directors like to shit on our childhoods?
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I love looking at the animators', not just Glenn Keane's, model sheets. The expressions, the fluidity of the characters, I just can't.

Yeah, they're all great, BUT Glen definitely uses the best expressions. They look so...real? Like they're actually looking at something, actually feeling something. But I agree, all of the Disney artists are wonderful, extremely talented.

AS for SP...

No. There were no CG Swan Princess films. You are mistaken. They never happened. Say it with me...never...happened.

The first Swan Princess movie wasn't that good, but it came out at a time when I was young enough to like it. I saw the two sequels after it, but never any past that...certainly not the CG sequels...since they never happened.
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Repeats words as imekitty holds up Jafar's snake staff to my face*
"There was no CGI Swan Princess movie, there was no CGI Swan Princess movie..."
*Suddenly breaks from the spell* "But that's wrong!"

Honestly, I only remember bits and pieces of the first movie, which was ok at best. It's not an amazing film, but it was nice how it subverted the whole "love at first sight" trope with them getting to know each other as kids and "learn" to fall in love, even if it felt forced, especially if compared to Disney couples.

I also love Rogers. "You should write a book: how to offend women in five syllables or less." Snarkiness at its best. Very Happy
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the beginning of SP when they're kids. That's the one and only SP song I have in my iTunes collection. The movie certainly had some potential, but they should've left such a story to Disney.
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that song too. It was kinda cute, watching them hate each other. And then they turned into rather blah adults.

I wonder how Disney would have handled the story. A retelling of Swan Lake was actually one of the potential story ideas Ron and John could have made a movie for when they chose to do Aladdin. The other was King of the Jungle, which eventually became The Lion King.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I freakin loved The Swan Princess. I have heard of the CGI movies and watched a 3 minute YouTube clip and thereafter decided to deny their existence.

CGI moves that look like bad videogames just should not be.

---

TSP was one of those that I loved until I watched it with a friend who had never seen it before. The whole time they were like... wtf is this.

I secretly still love it.

Whereas Thumbelina I liked as a kid and stopped liking it as an adult just on my own.

---

Barbie did Swan Lake. Not the best CGi, but I remember not hating it?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually watched Thumbelia a few weeks ago and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. That song with the beetles is meaner than I remember though Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember noticing a ton of obvious Disney knock-offs in it but still enjoying some of the songs. But I also remember thinking Thumbelina just whines her whole way through the movie, literally right up until the actual second Cornelius comes back. And I thought "wtf she didn't learn anything or become less annoying. Her prince doesn't come back until she is literally whining for him."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen Thumbelina in forever! I was never a big fan of it as a kid. I mean, it was always more like, "Oh look, it's Thumbelina. I could watch that or Kiki's Delivery Service for the twenty-third time this week..." Yeah, you could say I liked Kiki's Delivery Service. A lot. Smile

I hated that beetle guy and the toads. That mama toad is seriously what nightmares are made of.

Meesh wrote:
I seem to remember noticing a ton of obvious Disney knock-offs in it but still enjoying some of the songs.."

Story based off of a Hans Christian Anderson story like The Little Mermaid? Check!
Main character is the speaking voice of Ariel (Just found this out, yet always knew Gilbert Gottfried was the beetle. My priorities as a kid were skewed Laughing ) Check!
Prince Cornelius takes Thumbelina on a magic carpet.. I mean, magic bug ride and sings "Let Me Be Your Wings" which is eerily similar to "A Whole New World," complete with Thumbelina bending down and caressing the water? Check!
Bug totally ships them like a famous sentient rug? Check!
Thumbelina's dress colour changes from blue to pink to blue to pink again and finally back to blue? Check!

These are just a few I noticed after watching a clip of their duet on YouTube.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum