Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Hypothetical KoT Musical...
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hypothetical KoT Musical...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Hypothetical KoT Musical... Reply with quote

Figured I'd move this to a new thread because we're full-on geeking out now Razz

Originally here: http://aladdincentral.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5041&start=120

Fez_Head wrote:
Those are some great points, Meesh. Especially the one about Aladdin deciding to, unlike Cassim, go back to Agrabah to own up to his mistakes. I always loved that scene in the movie.

It's my favorite scene!!!

Fez_Head wrote:
The only reason I would be a little apprehensive of a Genie and Jasmine song would be how it would be performed. I wouldn't want something too cutesy and cheesy, if that makes sense.

I hear you for sure - it would be a challenge, but we could do it! It could also a great opportunity for the genie to have a big showy solo number that you know the audience wants Razz

Fez_Head wrote:
I'm with you: I want to know about Saluk's and Cassim's relationship when they joined the thieves. His jealousy towards Cassim is a main factor in his characterization and I want to know what happened in the past that made that happen.

Yes!!!

Sidenotes:

1. Would we go with the original movie/series canon or the musical canon? If we went by the musical canon, we've had Babkak, Omar, and Kassim. Iago would still be trapped, and the Genie would still be off being free. (Maybe they use the Oracle to find him? Razz ) It could also be, theoretically, right after Aladdin: The Musical ends, since there'd be no series in between.

2. I wonder if there's a way to work in "Forget About a Love" because I LOVE that song. If we brought back Iago, we could use "I'm Looking Out For Me."

3. I feel like the space Jasmine gives Aladdin in KoT shows a lot of growth in their relationship, but as a fan I want to see her more in it! Maybe we could explore the Jasmine + Genie relationship, since I feel like that dynamic is rarely used.
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You kitten me right meow? I'm always full-on geeking out...

I don't have time now, but I definitely want to discuss! DISCUSS ALL THE ALADDIN THINGS!
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Mmm, good question. I think we'd have to go with musical canon? But myeh, I don't want to have to include Babkak et al.. Can we just say they died? No? We'd have to change the story quiet a bit...unless we want to somehow combine it with RoJ. No, I've changed my mind now. Let's just make it movie canon. I want Iago to be in it!

2. "Forget About Love" - maybe when Aladdin returns, and Jasmine is wondering if she can still marry him after breaking his father out, thus breaking the law? Maybe Aladdin could actually be in real trouble, like the sultan can't just let him off the hook and has to think about what to do?

3. More Jasmine, yes. You know, maybe we wouldn't even really need Genie at all? We could just say he's off exploring the world still. He just seems to not have much bearing on the plot. :b

We talked about Aladdin singing a reprise of Out of Thin Air after leaving his father. I was too much of a geek to not think of some lyrics. Not entirely happy with some of the words/rhythm, but what do you think?

You don't understand
I know the path that you prefer,
But just think, if you can
What being abandoned would be like for her
I may be your son, but I won't live your life
To ask me to isn't fair

To let her think I don't care
It's something I couldn't bear
So, I won't run away; I won't fade into thin air

Someone call up Brad Kane. Tell him we need him to sing something...
Fez_Head
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hypothetical KoT Musical... Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
Figured I'd move this to a new thread because we're full-on geeking out now Razz

May I ask when are we NOT geeking out over something on this forum? Laughing

1. I was also a bit undecided whether or not we should do musical vs. movie canon. Both definitely have their pros and cons, but I think we should stick with movie canon for now. That way, we would have more to pull from in regards to songs, characterization, etc. if necessary.

2. That's a good idea, especially in that context. I do think that the demonstration of it may have to alter. What I mean is, in the film, it's sung in a reverse psychological way to forgive Aladdin when he straight up dun goofed with Iago. Here, if we were to go with imekitty's idea, I think that the song would have to be more sombre in tone, as if Jasmine must really be forced to forget about Aladdin due to his crime, instead of merely forgiving him for lying to her again. I hope that made some sense.

Random thought, but this idea makes me wonder if by the end of the song Jasmine (who obviously wants to still be with Al, no matter what he did with Cassim) would try and break him out of prison like she did in the episode, "Riders Redux." Like I said, random thought. Although it would definitely show potential growth on Jasmine's part.

3. Doth my ears deceive me? No Genie! I don't know how I feel about that, I would want Big Blue around. I mean, he's a pretty significant character in the films. I do think his characterization would have to be altered quite significantly, if he were to be in it. In the film, he doesn't do much because the directors were like "OMG!! Robin came back and let's make the Genie like, uber funny and cool again. Oh, he actually had a role in the film? Who cares? He's only comic relief. GENIE!" Here, his relationship with the core gang, not just Aladdin, could be explored in a rather interesting manner.

4. Of course you did Laughing These lyrics are really good. Some words could be changed around a little to help with rhythm and what not like you said, but I think the overall message of it is really well done.

Quote:
Someone call up Brad Kane. Tell him we need him to sing something...

If only it were that easy. *wishful sigh*. He is a writer now, so maybe he could help us. Actually, so is Scott. Wow, who knew the prince of Agrabah would become a writer in the future? Very Happy
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ton of work to get to, but I just wanted to post this real quick. I'll come back later and post more.

You're right, we can't leave out Genie. I just remembered that he has the super important role of giving Aladdin his dad's clothes for some pretty sexy cosplay. That is important.

(I'm totally not being sarcastic, by the way. It is very important to me that Aladdin gets those clothes...because fangirl...)
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I feel like the forums need to be in sync with each other, as in I think it would be jarring for the two musicals to not be in the same canon. But I'd also want Genie and Iago to be in it. Iago was just arrested at the end of the musical, so we wouldn't even need to worry about writing off Jafar to include him. He could meet Cassim in the dungeon and hit it off... !

But then what would we do with B, O, and K? I feel like they would be easier to represent on stage than Abu, but we'd have to write them a part. Best men for Aladdin? Interested in joining the 40 thieves? They were appointed advisors to the sultan, so they could talk Sultan or Jasmine in to letting Aladdin off the hook?

This is just my opinion though Smile

2. I like imekitty's idea for the context, and I like Fez_Head's idea for the break-out! Could be B, O, and K + Jasmine number. We'd probably have to re-write the lyrics to the Aladdin + Jasmine part to make it a bit more plot-relevant though.

Like Aladdin and Jasmine are about to get married and lead a kingdom. And, if it's musical canon, they haven't known each other for long (which is an interesting concept to explore). So the fact that he just committed this crime against the kingdom might be really legitimately scary to her. We might need this song to make her remember/realize how much he loves her.

3. I don't think the show would be very successful without the Genie - he is the show-stopper! Plus he is important to the plot, as Fez_Head pointed out, and he has 2.5 musical numbers!

4. imekitty - I almost cried! I love how you incorporated "thin air" at the end there too! Just needs some rhythmic re-working. Maybe when I get a moment Smile
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MYEEEEEEH, okay, Babkak et al. can be in it. I would just be concerned that they would be distracting (kind of like Genie was in KoT), but if we have to have them, then okay. (Maybe we should have one of them dating Sadira? Haha.)

I wouldn't want them to be there when Aladdin finds Cassim for the first time, though. I think that would make it less meaningful? I'm glad Genie wasn't there for that reason. I like the idea of them being the ones to convince the sultan to let Aladdin off the hook. It would make sense...perhaps it would involve a big song and dance? :b Or perhaps they're the ones singing "Forget About Love" instead of Iago? Which prompts Jasmine to break Aladdin out, and then the sultan is forced to let it all go because he can't have his daughter arrested, too? That would definitely give Jasmine more of a part, too, more of her own internal conflict.

If Iago meets Cassim in the dungeon, then that means he won't have a big role until that point. Are we okay with that? Or is there some other way to work him in earlier? Maybe he knows about the Oracle (from Jafar; I'm sure Jafar would've known what it was right away?), so they need his help to figure out how to work it?

I do like Father and Son a lot, actually. :3 And I like the scene when Genie meets Cassim for the first time. Always makes me laugh.

Aw, I'm glad you like my lyrics! I tried to make them as poignant as possible. The only line I don't really like is this one:

What being abandoned would be like for her

The meaning is good, and I like how it reflects the line from the original lyrics, but the rhythm isn't right (something to do with the word "abandoned"). :/ So, if you have an idea to make this line sound better but have the same meaning, that'd be neat.

Not happy with the word "fade" either. It implies that he'd be going away gradually when it would actually be sudden. "Vanish" would be better, but that's too many syllables. So, again, if you have a better idea for this that would still work with "thin air."

And yes, Brad Kane does seem to be doing some writing now. I've seen some of Fringe, but not any of his other stuff. But honestly, I just want him to go back to singing. I adore his music (am I the only one, though...? I guess it is kind of melancholy stuff, but I just love it).

Last edited by imekitty on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:38 am; edited 2 times in total
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we could work in other deleted songs, too? I love Count on Me and How Quick They Forget...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum