Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Aladdin the complete sociopath
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aladdin the complete sociopath

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Aladdin the complete sociopath Reply with quote

I think this article was written as a joke since the points it makes are based largely on obvious conjecture, but I still found it amusing. I just wish I could let the author know that Abu was corrupted long before Aladdin met him. XD

https://www.ranker.com/list/why-aladdin-was-a-sociopath/zack-howe?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=comicspost&pgid=763663430350503&utm_campaign=why-aladdin-was-a-sociopath

Also, has it ever really been confirmed how old Aladdin is supposed to be? He sort of implies that he's seventeen in the TV series, but then not really because what he actually says is that he's been on the streets for seventeen years, and what does that really mean? And does Aladdin exist in a floating timeline, or does time move normally?
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a style guide Disney use to mail out to companies doing marketing and merchandise for the movie and it says he's 17. When he says that line he probably meant from birth (since we know he wasn't from a particularly well off family) to until he got engaged (which he's looking back on in that episode since I think we calculated a long time ago that the series takes place over like 5 or 6 years).

But age is kind of a nebulous concept in Disney movies Laughing
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving an old post, I know, but...and I don't even know why this entered my head, but he says "I’VE lived in these alleys for seventeen years," not "I lived in these alleys..."

The "I've" implying that he still "lives in the alleys."

So...is he still seventeen in The Prophet Motive? And then wouldn't that make him at the oldest sixteen in the movie?

Unless it's a floating timeline, which I think is probably more likely...
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the feeling he still considered himself living "on the streets" until he got married. Like, he had his own room in the palace obviously, but there's that line in "From Hippsodeth with Love" where Iago is like "I guess we're staying here tonight" and Jasmine emphasizes it's "JUST" for tonight, which means they don't stay there. The boys were living in the hovel throughout the series, too, and we saw them sleep there plenty.

So either Aladdin moved in, didn't like, and moved back out for various reasons (needed space, felt more comfortable and like himself still living in his hovel, Iago/Abu/Genie did something to get them kicked out Laughing, found he worked better with a closer ear to the streets, etc.).

or

with as long of an engagement that they had (roughly five-six years), it might have been....hard to resist sexual temptation if they lived together, so he moved out to prevent any rumors or speculation or impulses. Plus, with them being unmarried, it might not have looked good in the eyes of their country/religion/culture/whoever deems that inappropriate (also depicting an unmarried cartoon couple living together in the mid 90s might have been iffy, but I was young enough to not notice if it was).

At some point Jasmine probably had to convince him it's time to move in officially, though, because you really can't have a future royal living on the streets no matter how much he can take care of himself. By the time it's KOT, it feels like he hasn't been there in a while, so he could have moved back in during the end of the series and thus off the streets for good now, but not before "The Prophet Motive".
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think they'd buy him a nicer house though geez Razz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's trying to stay humble Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, another thought, the Prophet Motive happens relatively early in a lot of fan attempts to put the series in chronological order. So he very well could have moved in during ROJ like Iago says, at some point between ROJ and the series moved out (maybe the events of ROJ is what caused him to move out?), and then still have that line make sense because nothing has really changed for him within that year or so where two movies and a few episodes of the series takes place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum