Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Live-action Aladdin cast found
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live-action Aladdin cast found
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly sure if I should be happy about this or not. New songs can be good and all, but I fear they would create the problem the creators wanted to avoid in the original movie: having too much songs that would put the movie to a halt. Hope they won't do this mistake and actually execute this well enough.

Still a bit skeptical about the movie though, despite wanting to see Aladdin getting some attention again. It's sure they try to make their own unique version (which I appreciate a lot especially after Beauty and The Beast), question is how those changes will effect the overall story and the characters? I know I will have a hard time accepting Will Smith as Genie in it (more worried about how he does the emotional scenes since those parts what got me to love Genie in the first place), but I hope I will be prove wrong and will be able to enjoy this new version of Aladdin just fine.

Hope the first trailer comes out soon, just to see what we can expect.
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
And Arabian Nights officially has more verses than all songs combined Razz

Ten minute intro, here we come Laughing

I appreciate them going back to Howard's original vision for the music, but I'd rather them extend the material with more scenes than songs even if this is a musical. I'd kill to hear more of Aladdin and Jasmine's conversation as they walked through the city on the way to his hovel. I don't need another duet, you know?

zitagirl wrote:

Yeah, I'm shocked there hasn't even been a teaser trailer yet (or at least one that's available for everyone to see and not just the press) when the movie is due out in less than nine months. Even Mulan has a teaser pic when it's due two years from now. Like, what event are they waiting to attach it to so they can debut it? Seeing it I think will calm some fears since they more or less left us hanging for a year about what's going on with this film.
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Meesh wrote:
And Arabian Nights officially has more verses than all songs combined Razz

Ten minute intro, here we come Laughing

Inb4 kids will fall asleep during this long intro. xd

Seriously though, I think they might go back to that concept of at certain parts of the movie, we will go back to the story-teller (is he even in this remake?) and that1s when the song is continued.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I appreciate them going back to Howard's original vision for the music, but I'd rather them extend the material with more scenes than songs even if this is a musical. I'd kill to hear more of Aladdin and Jasmine's conversation as they walked through the city on the way to his hovel. I don't need another duet, you know?

Totally agree with you. We already have very good songs in it, would rather see how the relationships grow between the characters with more interactions. Plus we have some new characters in as well, I rather not see them ending up as just fillers with no real reason to have them.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
zitagirl wrote:

Yeah, I'm shocked there hasn't even been a teaser trailer yet (or at least one that's available for everyone to see and not just the press) when the movie is due out in less than nine months. Even Mulan has a teaser pic when it's due two years from now. Like, what event are they waiting to attach it to so they can debut it? Seeing it I think will calm some fears since they more or less left us hanging for a year about what's going on with this film.

Welp, 25th anniversary was last year and don't really know any events that could be tied well to Aladdin. Kingdom Hearts 3 maybe? (Though I heavily doubt as it seems Agrabah is completely absent from the game) Still, it's quite worrying we don't have a single teaser and the movie comes out in May. Are they worried about getting hatred for possible questionable design choices?
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zitagirl wrote:
Seriously though, I think they might go back to that concept of at certain parts of the movie, we will go back to the story-teller (is he even in this remake?) and that1s when the song is continued.

I have wondered if they're going to bring back the reprises sprinkled throughout the movie like the musical, or are they going to just do this one big number and be done with it. It sounds more like the latter if they're adding a new verse since it's the only song from the original it sounds like they've tinkered with.

zitagirl wrote:
Totally agree with you. We already have very good songs in it, would rather see how the relationships grow between the characters with more interactions. Plus we have some new characters in as well, I rather not see them ending up as just fillers with no real reason to have them.

Yeah, really, that short list of new characters they announced made me nervous. I imagine this movie is going to be significantly longer than 90 minutes, too.

zitagirl wrote:
Welp, 25th anniversary was last year and don't really know any events that could be tied well to Aladdin. Kingdom Hearts 3 maybe? (Though I heavily doubt as it seems Agrabah is completely absent from the game) Still, it's quite worrying we don't have a single teaser and the movie comes out in May. Are they worried about getting hatred for possible questionable design choices?

I do think some of it is trying to shorten the length of the inevitable criticism, but they should be use to it at this point Laughing. But the teaser they did show was positively received a few months ago so....?

(See, I think they might be holding out on announcing Agrabah as a world or waiting until it releases in Japan because people were a little tired of visiting if they couldn't go to some other area besides the marketplace and the cave of wonders/random generic ruins. Everyone was the same way with Pirates of the Caribbean, but lost their minds at the E3 trailer when it showed up because it appears as if Nomura fixed a lot of their issues with the world. There's no way the only worlds we're visiting are the CGI Disney and Pixar films without a riot starting Laughing. Plus, Gilbert Gottfried mentioned he did some voice work for the game, so unless Iago is just gonna randomly show up as a summon there's still a chance. They gotta finish the trilogy Laughing)
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I have wondered if they're going to bring back the reprises sprinkled throughout the movie like the musical, or are they going to just do this one big number and be done with it. It sounds more like the latter if they're adding a new verse since it's the only song from the original it sounds like they've tinkered with.

We can only speculate, but yeah, it might be just 1 big song and never come back to it. Just hoping it will be good.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Yeah, really, that short list of new characters they announced made me nervous. I imagine this movie is going to be significantly longer than 90 minutes, too.

It definitely needs to be longer than 90 mins if they want to get good results with these changes. Sure, it's good they don1t try to just copy-paste the original movie *cough BatB cough*, but if it's not well-thoughout, it will end up ruining the movie.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I do think some of it is trying to shorten the length of the inevitable criticism, but they should be use to it at this point Laughing. But the teaser they did show was positively received a few months ago so....?

(See, I think they might be holding out on announcing Agrabah as a world or waiting until it releases in Japan because people were a little tired of visiting if they couldn't go to some other area besides the marketplace and the cave of wonders/random generic ruins. Everyone was the same way with Pirates of the Caribbean, but lost their minds at the E3 trailer when it showed up because it appears as if Nomura fixed a lot of their issues with the world. There's no way the only worlds we're visiting are the CGI Disney and Pixar films without a riot starting Laughing. Plus, Gilbert Gottfried mentioned he did some voice work for the game, so unless Iago is just gonna randomly show up as a summon there's still a chance. They gotta finish the trilogy Laughing)

I thought they would ready to get some criticism when they started to work on this live-action remake XD. Guess I was wrong. And yes, I do remember the teaser was well-received. Disney is weird.

I would scream in excitement if Agrabah would be in KH3, but I'm not too sure if they would add in. Agrabah has been featured in almost all games of the franchise, people may not want to see it again due to it being generic and such as you said.

I think featuring only these types of movies is more of a business move and maybe Nomura being tired of working on the same worlds over and over XD I do remember though that they mentioned downloadable contents to be added after the game is out for a while. Maybe new worlds are included?

Inb4 Gilbert is voicing someone else or that Iago is the summon for Agrabah (his voice confusing enemies so hard they end up dying Laughing )but yeah, we need to end the triology! Give us KoT (and maybe some series-exclusive characters Razz )
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zitagirl wrote:
It definitely needs to be longer than 90 mins if they want to get good results with these changes. Sure, it's good they don1t try to just copy-paste the original movie *cough BatB cough*, but if it's not well-thoughout, it will end up ruining the movie.

It definitely doesn't sound like a copy and paste situation from the bits and pieces we've heard, but there's a lot of new things going on that make it sound like chunks of the movie are completely different so we'll see. I'm probably most excited to hear the score remixed. I want some big orchestra arrangements.

zitagirl wrote:
I would scream in excitement if Agrabah would be in KH3, but I'm not too sure if they would add in. Agrabah has been featured in almost all games of the franchise, people may not want to see it again due to it being generic and such as you said.

I think featuring only these types of movies is more of a business move and maybe Nomura being tired of working on the same worlds over and over XD I do remember though that they mentioned downloadable contents to be added after the game is out for a while. Maybe new worlds are included?

We've been going to several worlds over and over again for years. They can suck it up for Agrabah one last time. It would be weird not to have it at this point. It's like not having the Coliseum or Winnie the Pooh. But maaaaaan, if we went through KOT I'd die of happiness. The animation would be in higher quality than the movie Laughing

I think they also said something about it being easier to add those movies since they already have the 3-D model renders for the c characters (but at the same time they had the most restrictions and rules because of it in terms of building the world whereas with Pinocchio, for example, they could make up whatever they wanted). When KH2 was out, Disney was only really starting to venture in to the CGI world, so it makes sense to include the direction the company went but, like, we need variety.
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
It definitely doesn't sound like a copy and paste situation from the bits and pieces we've heard, but there's a lot of new things going on that make it sound like chunks of the movie are completely different so we'll see. I'm probably most excited to hear the score remixed. I want some big orchestra arrangements.

I'm mostly interested in the plot and how they will handle the characters and all the relationships. I just hope they actually thought it out and won't turn out to be a mess.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
We've been going to several worlds over and over again for years. They can suck it up for Agrabah one last time. It would be weird not to have it at this point. It's like not having the Coliseum or Winnie the Pooh. But maaaaaan, if we went through KOT I'd die of happiness. The animation would be in higher quality than the movie Laughing

Lel, so true. The animation would be much better for sure XD (closest thing to a remake), although seeing how they handled Return of Jafar, they might change a lot about KoT, if they end up doing it in KH3.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I think they also said something about it being easier to add those movies since they already have the 3-D model renders for the c characters (but at the same time they had the most restrictions and rules because of it in terms of building the world whereas with Pinocchio, for example, they could make up whatever they wanted). When KH2 was out, Disney was only really starting to venture in to the CGI world, so it makes sense to include the direction the company went but, like, we need variety.

It's a double-edged sword and I think they are aware of that, although we don't know the exact reasons why they chose these specific worlds. While I don't mind the CGI worlds (let's face it, quite a few of them are actually very good) I rather not see them being priority. I already dislike how they abandoned hand-drawn animation, I don't want them to only feature these worlds in KH3, when we have tons of classics that could work quite well. Don't be ashamed of your old stuff, Disney! They are just as great as your newer ones and people will appreciate seeing them once again (and not just turn them into live-action movies).
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I'm probably most excited to hear the score remixed. I want some big orchestra arrangements.

The score is absolutely the #1 reason that I'm excited for this movie. First thing I checked when I heard they were doing the movie was who was scoring it.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I'd kill to hear more of Aladdin and Jasmine's conversation as they walked through the city on the way to his hovel. I don't need another duet, you know?

I'm trying to keep an optimistic/open mind about changes and new songs, but yes I would kill for more conversation as well. The Al/Jas dynamic is one of my favorite elements of the movie/story.

I also hope they maintain her fun and stubborn personality without making her a cookie cutter feminist *coughaladdinthemusicalcough* *coughbatbcough*

AladdinsGenie wrote:

Yes longer is good, as long as it's not longer due to taking 10 minutes to learn about backstory that opens a new plothole and adds nothing to the plot *coughbatbcough*

You and I seem to have caught the same virus - thoughts and prayers Wink

---------

On the topic of KH, I've never played it because I've only ever had a PC and a Wii Embarassed I've watched some of the Agrabah walk-through on YouTube though. I'll be on team Agrabah with you though, for some distant day when I get my fangirl ass a Playstation or DS.
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more curious about the story and characters overall than the score, but a great score would be lovely as well.

I'm curious about how Genie and Aladdin's friendship will go and how much they will change Genie's character here. I hope it will maintain his core part of his personality (bit of a goofball, but kind-hearted) while Will Smith will be able to add his style on it.

Oh god, pls no more stupid forced backstories that just ruin the movie. As much as I was excited for that prequel about genies, I rather not have 1 here, just what the Peddler says in the movie. Only backstory I would kinda want to see is Jafar's, but only if it's consistent with the story and doesn't make tons of plotholes.

(Also on BatB, I get why they tried to explain them, but honestly, it was just stupid and poorly executed. They tried way too hard to copy the original movie, while also adding these new stuff in that just are not necessary and worsened the movie.)

It's contagious Razz

You are not alone with that. My mother hates video games and only had Wii (mostly with party games on) and PC. I watched walkthroughs of all KH games, and probably will be the same case with KH3. Maybe one day I will get a PS, though I really should focus on other stuff, not on games XD.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
I also hope they maintain her fun and stubborn personality without making her a cookie cutter feminist *coughaladdinthemusicalcough* *coughbatbcough*

After seeing the preview for Wreck-It Ralph with all the princesses, I'm doubting it. Disney's new thing with their female characters is highlighting they've been strong feminist icons all along. Like, I do think some of the criticism thrown towards the Disney Princesses is unfair or reaching at best in these discussions about their movies, but it's so obvious they're only doing this because of the recent focus on representation in the media (and in this particular case the lack of decent female lead roles). I've never seen so much stuff for Pocahontas, Mulan, Tiana and Jasmine EVER until Disney realized they could use them to check off representation AND diversity in their portfolio cause they surely didn't care about them five years ago Razz

zitagirl wrote:
(Also on BatB, I get why they tried to explain them, but honestly, it was just stupid and poorly executed. They tried way too hard to copy the original movie, while also adding these new stuff in that just are not necessary and worsened the movie.)

Laughing so I never got around to seeing the live-action batb film, but all I really heard about was it fixing the whole "grown witch curses ten year old boy for not letting her in his house at night" thing from the animated film. Was there more changes?

I kept up with most of the games thanks to my brothers needing every console that comes out, but I tapped out after Birth By Sleep. Walk-throughs are probably more efficient these days because the stories are so complex now and hardly anyone knows every single detail about what's going on in their stories Laughing
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Laughing so I never got around to seeing the live-action batb film, but all I really heard about was it fixing the whole "grown witch curses ten year old boy for not letting her in his house at night" thing from the animated film. Was there more changes?

The sorceress lives in the town under disguise and treated quite badly (makes you wonder why the townfolks are not cursed, when they are even worse than the prince was), Gaston is now a war soldier and it traumatized from it (Gaston is pretty bad in the movie actually), Belle's mother mentioned numerous times only to find out she died in the plague, there's a book at the Beast possession, that can teleport people anywhere (only used to get him and Belle to Paris to see what happened with her mom) the servants will actually die if no one breaks the curse (kinda feels like they pulled the shorter end, least Beast lives while they remain lifeless objectives just because they were loyal to him).

Plus they changed the minor details in their romance during the movie. Can't really describe them well, but let's just say it's quite lifeless compared to the original: no small gestures or facial expressions on what they think, Beast doesn't show kindness early on, he doesn't give her anything but Lumiere offers the room for Belle (Beast actually gets mad at him for doing that), Beast doesn't give her the library in gratitude but rather just boosts about it and share it with her, and not sure if there's more. Really the only reason they fall in love with each other cause the script of the original movie said so. There's no chemistry, nothing in this new version.

I just really hope they won't do this mistake to Aladdin. I don1t want lifeless supposed relationships and unnecessary dark elements in it, just to change things up.

Last edited by zitagirl on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing wow

I know the library thing was always a source eye rolling to a lot of historians because there's no way in hell he'd have that many beautifully bound books in 18th century France when they were super rare even for royalty, and that kind of hoarding of wealth is part of why the revolution happened (but he and Belle will find that out soon enough Razz), but boasting about it is odd because he can't read them anyway since he along with most of France is illiterate Laughing

And it's always been super unfair the servants were caught up in the curse, but that puts a lot of stress on them to not lose their lives over something their boss did. How is the sorceress not the villain here? Laughing

I'm pretty sure we're gonna get some of this now. Aladdin and Jasmine's mother is probably gonna come up at least.
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing wow

I know the library thing was always a source eye rolling to a lot of historians because there's no way in hell he'd have that many beautifully bound books in 18th century France when they were super rare even for royalty, and that kind of hoarding of wealth is part of why the revolution happened (but he and Belle will find that out soon enough Razz), but boasting about it is odd because he can't read them anyway since he along with most of France is illiterate Laughing

If I remember correctly Belle was reading some romantic story and Beast got slightly annoyed as they are not really that cultured, so he showed Belle his book collection. Belle asked him if he read all of them and Beast say no he didn't, because some of them were in Greek. I know, slight change, but again, takes away from their romance quite a bit.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
And it's always been super unfair the servants were caught up in the curse, but that puts a lot of stress on them to not lose their lives over something their boss did. How is the sorceress not the villain here? Laughing

It was, but least they could keep on living. Here they straight up get killed just for doing their job. Even the movie put more emphasis on them in the final act as there was a long scene where it showed how all servants turn into lifeless objectives when the Beast dies (they legit got more screentime on their deaths than the Beast, the supposed main character).

You know what's funny though? They say they deserve this curse because they didn't stop the Beast in... being educated by his father and eventually be kind of a bad person (would love to know in what place would the servants be able to talk up to their masters. Last time I checked in my history books, servants weren't really allowed to speak up) Also anyone who knew the Beast or the servants pretty much forgot about their existence due to the curse, humiliating them even more.

Because he saved Belle's father and seeing Belle and Beast's love towards each other made her break the curse on them. But yeah, the sorceress is more of a villain than Gaston here, who just lost his charm here.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I'm pretty sure we're gonna get some of this now. Aladdin and Jasmine's mother is probably gonna come up at least.

Yeah, that can be predicted, but I hope it will be way better executed than Belle's mother, meaning it will actually add something to the story or to even the characters.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zitagirl wrote:
If I remember correctly Belle was reading some romantic story and Beast got slightly annoyed as they are not really that cultured, so he showed Belle his book collection. Belle asked him if he read all of them and Beast say no he didn't, because some of them were in Greek. I know, slight change, but again, takes away from their romance quite a bit.

It does, because in the animated film she was literally teaching him how to read. That's huge and lessens the significance of her bringing him in to her world to share in an activity that she longed to share with someone. It loses its charm if he's like "pfft yeah I read whatever" Laughing

zitagirl wrote:
You know what's funny though? They say they deserve this curse because they didn't stop the Beast in...idk, he didn't really look that awful of a person. Also anyone who knew the Beast or the servants pretty much forgot about their existence due to the curse, humiliating them even more.

Because that's not their job! Laughing It wasn't their place to tell him what to do, or at least not without losing their source of income in the process. Mrs. Potts has a lot of children to take care of going by all those teacups in the cupboard, and now she has to take care of another one and raise him to be a decent human being that none of his own family could do because of a bitter sorceress taking it out on everyone.

....the more I think about this movie, the more I realize BATB is a really messed up movie Laughing

Okay, so at least they fixed that part because it really was odd no one in town knew what happened to their royal family and the people who worked for them after all this time.

zitagirl wrote:

Hopefully they'll position it so you find out exactly how long Aladdin was on the streets after her death/before we catch up with him, and use Jasmine's lack of a mother for why things run the way they do at the palace.
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
It does, because in the animated film she was literally teaching him how to read. That's huge and lessens the significance of her bringing him in to her world to share in an activity that she longed to share with someone. It loses its charm if he's like "pfft yeah I read whatever" Laughing

I think they tried to make a connection between the 2, to really start their relationship, but idk, the movie is so copy-pasted but lacks the emotions and feelings while adding these unnecessary stuff, that it just falls apart.

Also found funny how Belle is called off for educating a child and love reading. Okay, it's weird for its time, but come on, she didn't do anything bad.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Because that's not their job! Laughing It wasn't their place to tell him what to do, or at least not without losing their source of income in the process. Mrs. Potts has a lot of children to take care of going by all those teacups in the cupboard, and now she has to take care of another one and raise him to be a decent human being that none of his own family could do because of a bitter sorceress taking it out on everyone.

Yet the movie says it was their responsibility and they failed at it, so sorceress punished them as well. Rolling Eyes

Also Beast mother's died quite early, so his ruthless father raised him and broke him or least that's how they try to explain his behaving here.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
....the more I think about this movie, the more I realize BATB is a really messed up movie Laughing

Well, it is kinda messy Laughing , but honestly the original still great, because the romance and the characters actually work there.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Okay, so at least they fixed that part because it really was odd no one in town knew what happened to their royal family and the people who worked for them after all this time.

Yeah, this was a change that actually made sense and didn't make the movie worse.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Hopefully they'll position it so you find out exactly how long Aladdin was on the streets after her death/before we catch up with him, and use Jasmine's lack of a mother for why things run the way they do at the palace.

Yeah, that would work nicely. Also would be a nice nudge to the fans mentioning Cassim in a way.

Inb4 in the movie turns out to be Jafar killed Jasmine's mother to gain more control over the Sultan and the palace. Unlikely to happen, but wouldn't be surprised to see something like that.

Also forgot to mention this, but Belle actually lies to the Beast and tries to escape right after she gets a room. Again, unnecessary change here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum