Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - The struggle of being male and being a big Jasmine fan
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The struggle of being male and being a big Jasmine fan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward Falcon
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: The struggle of being male and being a big Jasmine fan Reply with quote

It’s so frustrating being a male fan of Jasmine and trying to find content of her that is to your liking. Plus most of the merchadise with her other than the PVC figurines that you can buy at the Disney Store every now and then is intended for females needless to say. And there’s also those who are males and fans of hers that get bullied/picked on occasionally too. Have you ever felt that way? There was a character that you loved so much, and being a fan of them frustrated you to no end? Every day, I keep looking on YouTube and on online stores to find stuff of Jasmine that will he suitable for me that I can be comfortable with and won’t make me feel weird. Her appearance in Disney Infinity is perhaps the most fun I had with her to date, being able to put her in a Marvel or Star Wars-type scenario and not just an Aladdin or Disney-type one. Infinity also inspired a few Jasmine-related photo edits I made around the time too. I’m still waiting for her to be included as a playable character in Disney Heroes, where I hope she will he eventually. I even sometimes think about getting a standee of her to put in my pad, but I do not know where to put it or how to display it without looking like a creep or a weirdo. Crying or Very sad

Sorry, I don’t mean to ramble or complain. I just have nothing better to do right now, and the last couple of days have been a pain in the heyo, and I just randomly started thinking about how frustrating it’s been being such a big fan of Jasmine so much because of all the depression since the past weekend. But I digress.
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever felt that way? There was a character that you loved so much, and being a fan of them frustrated you to no end?

Yes, but mostly because of bad characterizations and fans not knowing when to let go of a popular character before they're ruined Laughing

But especially once the Disney Princess line took off, Jasmine's merchandise has become a lot more gendered and aimed towards young women and little girls. Not that it wasn't before, it always has been, but I think in the 90s they were taking advantage of this being an action/adventure movie young men and little boys could also enjoy by presenting Jasmine as the tomboy/kickass fighter to make the case for more "gender neutral" merchandise for everyone once the series and sequels debuted. Now you can't even find merchandise of Aladdin by himself let alone outside the context of the princess line, and sometimes you can't even find Jasmine in the princess line because she doesn't hit enough of the cliche princess requirements for even that.

Really, my best advice to you is just to own your love for her and buy what you want. It's no different than when guys who are in to comic books and video games unapologetically stan the women there and buy "articulated 1:6th scale character models" when that's just a super fancy term for a doll Laughing. Yes, comic books and video games are geared towards men (or were at one point, I'd argue that's shifted quite a bit in the past ten years), but Jasmine is a character from one of the best selling animated movies of all time. If you can't like great female characters from movies, what's next? You can't listen to music from popular female artists? That's ridiculous.

So don't let those people get you down cause they have issues and insecurities about how they're presenting themselves and coming off to other people, and want you to be less confident or secure about what you love to make them feel better.

I might be able to help you find some stuff that's more to your liking, though. What kind of items do you own now?
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.hottopic.com/product/disney-jafar-genie-t-shirt/11722282.html#q=aladdin&sz=60&start=83

This post made me think of this bitchin shirt at Hot Topic that maybe you'll like Very Happy

---

Honestly, I'm not a dude but I still dislike 80% of Jasmine's merch because it's so fru-fru!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of my favorite Jasmine pieces are from the 90s because they were a lot more mindful of her as a character instead of a princess if that makes sense.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It totally does - I agree
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
https://www.hottopic.com/product/disney-jafar-genie-t-shirt/11722282.html#q=aladdin&sz=60&start=83

This post made me think of this bitchin shirt at Hot Topic that maybe you'll like Very Happy

---

Honestly, I'm not a dude but I still dislike 80% of Jasmine's merch because it's so fru-fru!

Nice find!
Edward Falcon
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
A lot of my favorite Jasmine pieces are from the 90s because they were a lot more mindful of her as a character instead of a princess if that makes sense.

Meh, 90’s, 2000’s, doesn’t matter to me. ^_^
Edward Falcon
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:

---

Nothing much. Just a couple of figurines of her aside from the Aladdin DVDs, BluRays and video games I have.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the 90's... Laughing

https://www.shopdisney.com/aladdin-8-color-ballpoint-pen-oh-my-disney-1488319

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:

Did you see that 90s denim jacket? What were we thinking?! Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward Falcon wrote:
AladdinsGenie wrote:

Meh, 90’s, 2000’s, doesn’t matter to me. ^_^

Well, are you more in to action figures, collectible figurines, artwork....?
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Meesh wrote:

Did you see that 90s denim jacket? What were we thinking?! Laughing

I saw it in person today and really wanted to like it, but just couldn't Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum