Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Saw Alan Menken a few nights ago
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saw Alan Menken a few nights ago

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Saw Alan Menken a few nights ago Reply with quote

So Alan Menken a few nights ago came to our university to do a show called "A Whole New World with Alan Menken." I never in my life thought he'd come to my state, much less my town or the college I teach at, so this was really awesome! I didn't get to meet him but I was the closest I'll probably ever be to him. :3

Anyway, he began the show by playing/singing Prince Ali. Amazing as expected. Great way to start. And then he immediately followed it up with how that song is special to him because he worked it out with Howard Ashman on his death bed and that that is the image he associates with that song.

And ugh, that hurt my heart. T^T
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome!! I saw something similar in NY back in the day. Paid extra to meet him afterwards, but he only stayed long enough to grab a picture and then peaced out.

May I ask what college you attend?
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no option to pay extra to meet him afterwards. :/ Otherwise, I would've done it.

But considering my state apparently Googles "Disney" more than any other state, maybe they figured it would be too overwhelming for him to allow that option. He'd be mobbed. XD So I think just the lucky theatre geeks got to meet him...

I have such burning Aladdin-related questions for him, argh. Maybe someday. Maybe when I'm famous, too. I can dream.

This was at Brigham Young University in Utah. He said it was his first time ever in Provo. So I'm glad I happened to be living here at this time!
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of Prince Ali? The final one? You know there's like 982389423 takes.
Fez_Head
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s so amazing! I am so beyond jealous because I want to meet him so badly. It’s too bad that there wasn’t the option to meet him. If I ever did, he would probably hate me for asking so many questions Very Happy

That just makes “Prince Ali” even more of a special song. The friendship between Howard Ashman and Alan Menken seems like it was so genuine.
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a shortened version of the movie version (is that what we consider the "final" version?). He sang the beginning, the first verse, and then the final verse. All of the songs he sang were shortened because he just has so many and he wanted to sing them all. XD Bless his talented aviator-glasses-wearing heart.

And he ended on "Proud of Your Boy"! As a final tribute to Howard Ashman. Truthfully, I feel like the only person in the world who isn't a huge fan of that song. I think the lyrics are incredible, but the melody is kind of meh. I prefer the melody of "Count on Me." What I'd give to hear Brad Kane sing that song...
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the final cut or mix. His songs aren't too long to begin with, but he has dozens so that makes sense.

I know what you mean, but when POYB is played with an orchestra it gives me chills through the tears Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum