Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Aladdin (2019) Discussion Thread (Spoilers Ahead!!)
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aladdin (2019) Discussion Thread (Spoilers Ahead!!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Aladdin (2019) Discussion Thread (Spoilers Ahead!!) Reply with quote

So, with about two months until the movie, I'm going to start a thread to discuss any spoilers or potential spoilers relating to the film. Try to keep any information you find or want to discuss here just in case someone doesn't want to be aware of all the details going in to theaters (I mean, we know what happens, but still Laughing)

I came across this advanced proof of "Far from Agrabah" by Aisha Saeed. It's an "original novel" that "will tell an all-new story set in the world of the new film", but I think it also doubles as slight spoilers for how they'll handle a few things in the movie as well.

So there's the change from Queen to Sultana, which is interesting because Queen =/= Sultana. I'd be here all day talking about Agrabah's weird succession line and how they've managed to keep Jasmine's bloodline the only family ruling the city, but I'm going to assume this is just one of the ways they updated her since leaving her as a Queen ala the original film meant Aladdin outranked her with power when he became Sultan just because he's a man (which adds another layer to why she was really adamant on who she chose to marry). But with her on the way to being Sultana now, she's the ruling figure head in the same way her father is, and Aladdin doesn't take her place so much as supplements it. It sort of resembles a situation more like the current reigning Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip in the United Kingdom.

"Ababwa" being where he's from is adorable Laughing

And it sounds like they're fixing that age old of question of "how did they get from the middle east to china in two minutes??"
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this little post today. Basically a bit of a talking about the backlash Will Smith Genie got after the trailer was shown: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2019/02/20/disney-reveals-aladdin-blue-genie-now-what/2877176002/

I'm not gonna lie, not fan of the whole blaming the audience for not liking Will Smith Genie. I know they can't admit that it might look off, but was that really necessary? This just gives me flashbacks to how the media handled all criticism towards DW S11 as trolling and such (not exactly the words they used, but rather not use those) when most criticism was towards the writing. Just makes me even more cautious on this instead of excited :/

AladdinsGenie wrote:
So, with about two months until the movie, I'm going to start a thread to discuss any spoilers or potential spoilers relating to the film. Try to keep any information you find or want to discuss here just in case someone doesn't want to be aware of all the details going in to theaters (I mean, we know what happens, but still Laughing)

I came across this advanced proof of "Far from Agrabah" by Aisha Saeed. It's an "original novel" that "will tell an all-new story set in the world of the new film", but I think it also doubles as slight spoilers for how they'll handle a few things in the movie as well.

So there's the change from Queen to Sultana, which is interesting because Queen =/= Sultana. I'd be here all day talking about Agrabah's weird succession line and how they've managed to keep Jasmine's bloodline the only family ruling the city, but I'm going to assume this is just one of the ways they updated her since leaving her as a Queen ala the original film meant Aladdin outranked her with power when he became Sultan just because he's a man (which adds another layer to why she was really adamant on who she chose to marry). But with her on the way to being Sultana now, she's the ruling figure head in the same way her father is, and Aladdin doesn't take her place so much as supplements it. It sort of resembles a situation more like the current reigning Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip in the United Kingdom.

"Ababwa" being where he's from is adorable Laughing

And it sounds like they're fixing that age old of question of "how did they get from the middle east to china in two minutes??"

it also seems like they might try to fix the whole "where's Ali's kingdom" thing, which I kinda like and hope it will be executed well. I do like the premise that Jasmine would actually be the ruler and not her husband, though I'm a bit nervous on this, given how Jasmine is going to be a modern feminist in this (plus what they might do with the characters if they want to empower her this much. We already saw that Jafar is...not exactly himself). he idea is fine, is the execution that worries me basically.

I do say though glad at least in this book they mention that Jasmine seeks freedom from the palace, which is nice to hear especially after how they said in the first articles how Jasmine was just looking for a guy. Hopefully the movie will remember this as well and the theme of freedom will still be important for at least Aladdin, Jasmine and Genie.

Also unsure if this true or not but I heard somewhere that the new maiden character might also be a love interest for Will Smith Genie. I really hope this won't be the case because:
1, That's literally something we would see in fanfics (and actually read similar to this, lol)
2, I think this might take away some importance from the friendship of Genie and Aladdin which I rather not see being less important than it was in the original (what can I say, I just adore their friendship even today).

What do you guys think?
[/quote]
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of making Jasmine escape so she can see the marketplace and connect with her people, rather than just to blindly escape (and not know how money works? gtfo 1992).

I also agree that Ababwa being his land is cute Smile and the ride being him taking her to his land (maybe also answering that "but if he's a literal prince, shouldn't he have literal subjects" question??).

I feel weird that we (myself included) keep bringing up feminism in this movie as a scary thing, because I am a feminist and I believe in feminist characters. I just want to make it clear that I want them to be strong, complex women because that's naturally who they are, with good, compelling writing that serves the plot... not because other characters are going "B-b-b-B-B-b-but you're a GIRRRRL."

Also Genie and the maiden being love interests could be cute, but only if done well IMO
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
I like the idea of making Jasmine escape so she can see the marketplace and connect with her people, rather than just to blindly escape (and not know how money works? gtfo 1992).

I also agree that Ababwa being his land is cute Smile and the ride being him taking her to his land (maybe also answering that "but if he's a literal prince, shouldn't he have literal subjects" question??).

I feel weird that we (myself included) keep bringing up feminism in this movie as a scary thing, because I am a feminist and I believe in feminist characters. I just want to make it clear that I want them to be strong, complex women because that's naturally who they are, with good, compelling writing that serves the plot... not because other characters are going "B-b-b-B-B-b-but you're a GIRRRRL."

Also Genie and the maiden being love interests could be cute, but only if done well IMO

With the first 2 I agree, those are nice details that can add to the story, especially if they are well-implemented and executed.

The basics of feminism is not bad and actually agree with it. However recently, especially in media, feminism has been quite aggressive and even encouraging man-hate in some extreme cases. My fear is that similar to TLJ they will make the male characters less likeable, weaker and even quite bad just to make the female characters look stronger and all.

Like, let's look at what we know about the characters so far just from the trailers and articles: the main focus has been Jasmine by far by telling us how she won't just want a guy (I still can't believe that they said this when just like Aladdin and Genie she had the freedom theme going as well and was actually against marrying before she got to know Aladdin) but instead become a great ruler for her people, she will have a new empowering song plus a new main female character just for her to get to her new goal.

Now despite the whole only wanted a guy in the original part, this is quite a nice premise that with good execution it will give her a nice natural development. However let's look at the other characters.

Genie was quite the topic recently, especially after they revealed his look. They already claimed that he will have quite an ego and even more self-aware. 2 things that already don't really sound fitting for Genie's character imo and unless it's done close to excellently, this can make the character annoying and unlikable way too easily. Then later on they basically admitted that Will Smith will just play himself and even with the design they went it shows that they want us to see Will Smith, not Genie. Again, a very questionable take on the character, especially if you are not really a big fan of Will Smith like me.

Yes I know Genie was Robin Williams from original, but least there his design was unique to not see Robin in him (and we have seen that other VAs could pull him off: Dan Cas. plus Jim Meskimen have done quite a good job with Genie so far) and if you were like me who watched the movie first in a different language, he was still a character you could like on his own, not just because of Robin Williams.

Looking at Will Smith Genie, I'm sorry, but despite the small details of showing him being a prisoner of the lamp, I literally only see a blue Will Smith, not the character he's supposed to play.

Aladdin has been showed quite minimally and even talked about. Outside of him being the diamond in the rough and he falls in love with Jasmine, there's really nothing else about him in this version so far, which concerns me a lot. Aladdin was a quite a well-rounded, flawed but likeable character and actually went through quite a development in the movie (and later on in the other movies and the series). Just weird for me seeing how the supposed main character has like no advertisement or even presence in the trailers so far outside of the few very necessary ones.

And then we have Jafar... Now I didn't expect a Jonathan Freeman (although unsure why they couldn't just ask him to play him, especially how he plays Jafar already in the musical adaptation) but this? The look is fine (although he looks actually younger than Aladdin), but his voice and just how monotone his voice is... I'm sorry, but this is not even the shadow of Jafar (and we know he's still gonna be the villain seeing that pic with the lamp in his hands as he takes over the Palace) and makes me wonder just what are they doing with the character or how come not one person thought that something is off about him.

Lastly the rumor of the maiden will be the love interest for Genie. Now outside of me not being a fan of this (too much fanfic reading) this does make me wonder if they thought Genie needs a better reason to want to become free (guess being a prisoner from the very start of your existence and have no free will is now not good enough for them) so they are adding this little subplot.

All these little things make me think that the current creators want Jasmine to become this powerful female character while underplaying or even making unlikable the male characters. Now I do hope I'm actually wrong and the movie and the characters will be good and likeable. but I can't help but worry seeing and reading all these stuff.
Edward Falcon
Sultan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to be honest. While I was excited about Will Smith as genie, I was a bit doubtful about Naomi Scott as Jasmine, but after the latest trailer, and the picture of her in the slave outfit, I am having second thoughts.
Spartan Girl
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, I haven't been on this message board in years but with the new movie coming out, now is as good as any to return! Very Happy

Even though I know I'm always going to love the cartoon more, I still think it's going to be fun. I know some of you guys think new Jafar is hotter than Aladdin, but I happen to think that Mena Massoud is pretty cute. I mean it's hard to measure up to cartoon Aladdin when we have been loving him for years, but he is easy on the eyes Wink

Anyway, I just read Far From Agrabah and the movie novelization so I know what's going to be different. I like that they've added a bit more to Jasmine with her wanting to actually rule on her own and have an actual say in things -- that was pretty in character with her development in the series ("Riders Redux"). And giving her a female sidekick in Dalia is good because there is a short supply of Disney Princesses with female sidekicks.

Some changes I'm a tad annoyed by because I'm a purist when it comes to Aladdin. For instance [spoiler]they change Al and Jas' first meeting a bit, she doesn't get to pretend to be the crazy sister, which is a shame[/spoiler]. And Will will never be Robin but I'm okay with him doing his own thing.

Anyway I'm willing to keep an open mind and save final judgment til the movie.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is somebody reading the first half of one of the books about Aladdin x Jasmine.

I skimmed it - didn't want to read too much of it, but I did pick up some changes, most notably how Jasmine and Aladdin got separated and how Aladdin meets Jafar. (It stops when Jafar takes Aladdin to the Cave.)

It has a picture of Magnussen as Prince Achmed too Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKHZUGwrGrA

Last edited by Meesh on Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At about 2:30, you can hear the song this Jasmine doll sings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iGJDJ-QzSo

I don't love it but I don't straight up hate it. I've said before I don't think typical drumset beats belong in these songs, but I get it's the style nowadays.

------

Also, here's another book reading:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THTJiOC90Xo

It's about Genie and Aladdin, and stops after Genie saves Aladdin from drowning. It includes some history on some of genie's past masters, and it suggests that Genie likes to trickily take wishes literally (like the "make me a prince" joke in the trailer).

-----

And another book about Jasmine. No spoilers. It does spell the tiger's name "Raja."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC2yq9gbkLI&feature=youtu.be
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm a little freaked out by the fact that there is nooo mentioning or featuring Jafar or his actor. Even the actors who play the Sultan and Hakim are on tour, but not Jafar. Pedrad's character has by now been featured here and there too, but nooo Jafar.

*grimaces*
Elemental

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. Jafar and his actor get like next to no attention. You would think the big villain of the movie would get at least some mentions, but nothing. Heck, even in those new emojis on their Twitter no Jafar (and peeps actually asked about that a lot)

Did something happen between the actor and Disney or the latter simply doesn't think the villain is important now? I kinda can see both options being possible these days.

Then again, from what I got from the trailers and those books... it seems like Jafar really doesn't have much to do other than what the bad guy did in the original tale.

Starting to hate the policy here about movies. Need to wait till Thursday to be able to get a ticket and still unsure if I would actually watch it in English.
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of Prince Ali from the new movie got revealed.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1128148429929164805

Music is fine, some of the visuals are also nice, but I feel like it became very down to earth, not really that impressive as it was in the cartoon. also not gonna lie, but not fan of Will Smith's singing here. I get what he tries to achieve here, but it's simply not my cup of tea.

Also Dalia more and more gives me the vibe of a typical OC character. I'm honestly not too happy on that considering that I have read quite a lot of OC stories back when I was younger. From what I see I already can see the premise and what she will do in the movie and that's not a good sign...
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another new trailer just now with One Jump Ahead.
https://twitter.com/disneyaladdin/status/1128352021600403458
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Dalia looks kind of like a typical rom com best friend so far. Was hoping the version of Aladdin would pass the Bechtel test.

Friend Like Me sounds fine to me, but the cinematography seems mostly pretty static in this teaser. We'll see!
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
Yeah Dalia looks kind of like a typical rom com best friend so far. Was hoping the version of Aladdin would pass the Bechtel test.

Friend Like Me sounds fine to me, but the cinematography seems mostly pretty static in this teaser. We'll see!

I kinda hope she turns out to be a villain to be honest. There's a little clip on her doing the money handsign (really an odd trait for a supposed good character) and considering how the book that focuses on Will Smith Genie hints on him and Dalia having something plus the fact that she gives a very strong OC vibe... I just really it won't go as I expect (plus, if she's really into fortune, I have the feeling she might only like Genie because of what he can provide which is just a big no for me)

Agree, the song itself sounds fine (heck on 1.25 speed it's actually quite enjoyable) but everything else looks static and just bland af. Plus idk, Will Smith sounds very autotuned imo. Not exactly the most hopeful about this.
Spartan Girl
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm the only one that thought "Prince Ali" was fine?

I know it's hard but we can't keep comparing it to the original, the original is always going to be better Very Happy

As for Dalia I think it's nice Jasmine is getting a female friend/sidekick because most of the Disney women don't have female sidekicks: there's just Marian and Clucky, Tiana and Charlotte, and Pocahontas and Nakoma -- and Rapunzel and Cassandra if you count the Tangled series. That's. About. It.
So I don't want Dalia to wind up evil, lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum