Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Aladdin (2019) Discussion Thread (Spoilers Ahead!!)
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aladdin (2019) Discussion Thread (Spoilers Ahead!!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="zitagirl"]
Meesh wrote:
It's alright Mirage, can understand you. I initially really disliked the movie, but after some rewatches I kinda started to accept it and see the good in it. Like I get why the characters are the way they are, even if I personally don1t like it.

Right. Like AG said a couple weeks ago, your first watch you go in already comparing it with the first movie. Your next watch(es), it's easier to watch it as its own thing because you got the comparisons out of your system.
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
Right. Like AG said a couple weeks ago, your first watch you go in already comparing it with the first movie. Your next watch(es), it's easier to watch it as its own thing because you got the comparisons out of your system.

Yeppers. I still have my biases a bit, but I started to look at it on its own and see what is actually good. Reason why I also want to write a little analysis on both Genies because my heart may pull me to OG Genie, but I see now why people find Will Genie really good.
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwEMZPKLOl4

*sighs* Really would love if they stopped this. Half of these points are not even fixes, just minor changes that ultimately don't even effect the plot, yet they act like the new movie is better...

New movie is decent, a strong 6/10 (story and characters are not that well executed imo) yet they don't even try to mention the new movie flaws, just point out how the original is inferior to new movie. Just glad they didn't bring up which Genie is better.
Princess of Agrabah
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about this movie, the reason why I liked the changes (particularly to Jasmine) so much was because cartoon Jasmine was the hero five year old me looked up to, but didn’t really see as me, whereas live action Jasmine I found super relatable as someone who worked in and is going into a heavily male dominated industry and really did and will have to fight to have her voice heard. She’s a character kids can look up to and adults who grew up with the original can see themselves in, and I think that’s really cool.
Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess of Agrabah wrote:
Thinking about this movie, the reason why I liked the changes (particularly to Jasmine) so much was because cartoon Jasmine was the hero five year old me looked up to, but didn’t really see as me, whereas live action Jasmine I found super relatable as someone who worked in and is going into a heavily male dominated industry and really did and will have to fight to have her voice heard. She’s a character kids can look up to and adults who grew up with the original can see themselves in, and I think that’s really cool.

It's weird but I related more to Aladdin. I just could/can see myself in him in many ways, especially when I was depressed. I guess this is why his development in the movie still touches me a lot and why the message "be yourself" is so important to me.

And to Genie I heavily look up to. Seeing the good in everyone, caring about others and just trying to bring smile to others: h's just a great person and wish I could be around him.

Jasmine was fine, I find her pretty good in animated movie, but she was just a little bit behind compared to Aladdin and Genie in terms of how much impact they left on my young self and even adult-self.

Probably the reason why I have a hard time loving the new movie. They changed Aladdin and Genie in many ways, to the point where I even disliked them (mind you I do think they can work as characters) and while Jasmine is good... her actual journey was just not well executed in my opinion, making it hard for me to look up to her even with liking the idea of her arc.

I bet kids can look up to her new version, but for me it just did not work. Maybe I'm just different in that matter.
Princess of Agrabah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was the whole goal too, to take what was in the film already and develop her character for a modern audience. For me this worked way better than Beauty and the Beast did because the changes with respect to Jasmine were organic. I liked how her ambition wasn’t a bad thing, and neither was demanding to be heard.
Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was the whole goal too, to take what was in the film already and develop her character for a modern audience. For me this worked way better than Beauty and the Beast did because the changes with respect to Jasmine were organic. I liked how her ambition wasn’t a bad thing, and neither was demanding to be heard.

I get that, but wish they had executed that better and also let the other characters be as good as they were. I get her arc, but I guess I just can't really relate to? Guess I'm not modern.
Princess of Agrabah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have a different opinion. Nothing wrong with that Laughing Just from where I’m at in my life I found her relatable, but obviously that’s a personal thing and not universal.

I don’t think that anything fundamentally changed to hurt the integrity of the first film, and believe it stands up pretty well on its own as a 2019 take on the movie.
Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have a different opinion. Nothing wrong with that Laughing Just from where I’m at in my life I found her relatable, but obviously that’s a personal thing and not universal.

I don’t think that anything fundamentally changed to hurt the integrity of the first film, and believe it stands up pretty well on its own as a 2019 take on the movie.

I suppose. Guess Aladdin and Genie just got to me more with how I am and what issues I have in real life.

On its own it doesn't, but recently I see people and certain medium trying to push the narrative that the new movie is superior, which irks me as I can see how they cherrypick the stuff in the new movie, while not even mention the actual flaws of the movie. Just feels wrong.
Princess of Agrabah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s the neat thing about Aladdin—you can likely find at least one character to relate to Very Happy

That’s fair—I can see how that would seem intellectually dishonest. For what it’s worth, I don’t think it’s superior because it’s based on the original film which makes it tough to compare them to begin with. I can understand why some people felt this one spoke to them more though.
Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s the neat thing about Aladdin—you can likely find at least one character to relate to Very Happy

That’s fair—I can see how that would seem intellectually dishonest. For what it’s worth, I don’t think it’s superior because it’s based on the original film which makes it tough to compare them to begin with. I can understand why some people felt this one spoke to them more though.

Indeed. The characters are just so lovable even after decades.

My issue is not that they find it better than the original, just when they cherrypick stuff to make their argument better while trying to put down the other. This happens way too much to Bleach even to this day (yes Bleach has many flaws and the ending was rushed, but what people do to just put it down sickens me) and sad to see Aladdin is getting this as well.

Once I get an English copy of the new movie, I should do a deep-in analysis for both movies and try to show what works and what doesn't scene by scene.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving now to finally see it a second time Laughing Excited!
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised it's still in theaters!
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My app still shows showings that are "almost full" when I book! But it is only like 3 AMC theatres near me (and there are loooots in LA)!
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://io9.gizmodo.com/this-exclusive-aladdin-deleted-scene-shows-how-wishes-c-1837174200

A deleted scene!

I can see why they cut it because it makes Genie look mean for being that technical, but that's how genies are supposed to be Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum