Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - What TV shows are you watching?
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What TV shows are you watching?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: What TV shows are you watching? Reply with quote

I get the feeling we have some overlapping interests, so what TV shows are you guys in to or watching or would recommend?
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Tries to remember the last time she watched TV*

Oh boi. Well, I like Doctor Who (not enjoying S11 though), BBC's Merlin, Poirot novels and that's it atm. I overall like a bit odd, not so ordinary stuff with likeable cast (actually was a time where I enjoyed NCIS: Los Angeles just for its characters)

also used to watch Doctor House when I was younger. We simply just called him Dr Jerk XD.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy that's a long list - I watch a good amount of shows!

I'm all caught up on Marvelous Miss Maisel, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Big Mouth, American Vandal, Queer Eye, Love, and Grace & Frankie. They're all great, but I especially enjoy the first few!

Casually working through Call the Midwife, My Next Guest with David Letterman, Fleabag, and Seinfeld. Especially enjoying the first two.

I've recently started Barry and Sex Education, but haven't gotten into them (yet?).

I watched several seasons of Jane the Virgin, Doctor Who, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Arrested Development, Arrow, Orange is the New Black, Jessica Jones/Daredevil, Bones, and Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries but I'm not caught up (I lost interest in most of them tbh).

I'm actually not sure if I'm caught up on Grey's Anatomy or Crazy Ex-Girlfriend too - I like them and should check Very Happy

Completed shows that I watched all the way through include Scrubs, The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, Game of Thrones, Gilmore Girls, House, New Girl, Friends, Fraser, Galavant, Sherlock, and Once Upon a Time (due to obligation).

Wow this list makes me feel like I have no life Laughing And I'm sure I'm missing a bit!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a complicated relationship with Merlin. I was obsessed with that show, and then it got to the last two seasons and I still can't explain to you what happened or what the show ended up being about Laughing. But Colin Morgan is one of my favorite actors and carried the entire weight of that show on his shoulders, so I forgive them if only for that (I adore all the cast though).

In-progress shows I watch: Killing Eve, How To Get Away With Murder, Atlanta, Doctor Who, Mysteries at the Museum (it's the nerdiest thing I watch), Mr. Robot, Preacher (the latter two of which are on their last seasons)

I half keep up with South Park and Elementary, the latter of which is about to finish this year

I keep telling myself to start watching Stranger Things, Barry, and Westworld, and I'm sort of picking through Malcolm In The Middle but haven't fully committed to watching.

Completed shows: Fleabag, Golden Girls, Sense8, Boy Meets World, BBC Robin Hood, Sherlock (they need to accept it's completed so my boy Andrew Scott can live his life and stop having to come back to create excitement for them Laughing), The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Love Lucy, Hey Arnold, Misfits, Orphan Black, My Mad Fat Diary, all of Anthony Bourdain's travel shows, Luther, Saved by the Bell, I Dream of Jeannie...probably some other stuff I'm forgetting....
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually really liked Sherlock. Used to watch it awestruck with just how well done it was in the first 2 seasons.

Merlin got weird... like I still liked the cast, but it was definitely started to go down a bit. Although old Merlin still cracks me up to a great extent (payback time, Arthur Twisted Evil )

I should probably watch more stuff, but I'm simply not keen on getting hooked onto new stuff atm. Rather work on my projects even many series sounds promising.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't care for the last season of Sherlock, but I loved it before that.

BBC Robin Hood, eh? Is it good?

I couldn't get into Orphan Black and Mr. Robot or Merlin. I watched the first (2?) episodes of Merlin way back when but thought it was cheesy I think? Forgot about it. Should I give it another go?

I watched the first season of Stranger Things and the first season of Westworld. Both very good, but I wasn't into them enough to watch the second season I guess.

I also forgot to mention The Good Place, Sex & Love Around the World (docuseries), and the IT Crowd. I'm all caught up/watched all of them!

I keep telling myself I'm gonna watch Avatar: The Last Airbender too, and Golden Girls is gonna be my next sitcom when I finished Seinfeld.

Some of the ones y'all have listed I'm not very familiar with. Do you highly recommend any of them?
Poirot Novels
Killing Eve
How To Get Away With Murder
Atlanta
Mysteries at the Museum
Preacher
Elementary
Sense8
BBC Robin Hood
Misfits
My Mad Fat Diary
Luther
Elemental

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
I didn't care for the last season of Sherlock, but I loved it before that.

BBC Robin Hood, eh? Is it good?

I couldn't get into Orphan Black and Mr. Robot or Merlin. I watched the first (2?) episodes of Merlin way back when but thought it was cheesy I think? Forgot about it. Should I give it another go?

I watched the first season of Stranger Things and the first season of Westworld. Both very good, but I wasn't into them enough to watch the second season I guess.

I also forgot to mention The Good Place, Sex & Love Around the World (docuseries), and the IT Crowd. I'm all caught up/watched all of them!

I keep telling myself I'm gonna watch Avatar: The Last Airbender too, and Golden Girls is gonna be my next sitcom when I finished Seinfeld.

Some of the ones y'all have listed I'm not very familiar with. Do you highly recommend any of them?
Poirot Novels
Killing Eve
How To Get Away With Murder
Atlanta
Mysteries at the Museum
Preacher
Elementary
Sense8
BBC Robin Hood
Misfits
My Mad Fat Diary
Luther

Porirot novels is fine, just with how they are based on Agatha Christie's work, might not surprise you much if you are familiar with the novels. Still, the acting, music and overall it works well. Just pacing can be bit slow for today's standards.
Edward Falcon
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally Spies. I have known about it for years, but it was only last year I decided to start watching it, and it really grows on you the more you watch it.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally Spies! What a throwback. Clover is my bf and my #1 name if we decide to have a baby (and it's a girl).
Elemental

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward Falcon wrote:
Totally Spies. I have known about it for years, but it was only last year I decided to start watching it, and it really grows on you the more you watch it.

I used to watch that when I was a kid. I'm not exactly sure if it did any good to me though Laughing
Edward Falcon
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
Totally Spies! What a throwback. Clover is my bf and my #1 name if we decide to have a baby (and it's a girl).

Awesome!
Edward Falcon
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zitagirl wrote:
Edward Falcon wrote:

I used to watch that when I was a kid. I'm not exactly sure if it did any good to me though Laughing

lol
Princess of Agrabah
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the last free summer of my life before I start law school in the fall so I’m trying to work through as many shows as I can Laughing. I’m currently watching The West Wing for the first time, and all of the CW’s Arrowverse shows (I’m a comics geek). I’m also watching The Office, Parks and Recreation, The Good Wife, Amazon’s Jack Ryan, and Burden of Truth. I also do love Call the Midwife but I’m very behind on it. And I’m waiting with baited breath for the next season of Anne with an E.
Elemental

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like several seasons of Power Rangers, although I need to catch up to current season. Hopefully better than the Neo-Saban ones.

Also there's one more series that just got better rewatching it as an adult, but... it will take a little more from me to really explain it. Embarassed

If we can add anime here as well, I would like to mention Magi, Madoka Magica and Seven Deadly Sins (manga). I actually really like all 3, even though I avoid Madoka Magica when I'm feeling down. Razz
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:

BBC Robin Hood is in the same boat as BBC Merlin since they were airing around the same time. They are kinda cheesy, but are also good fun when you want something kind of low stakes and light to watch. Merlin, in my opinion gets better from season 1, but then declined after series 3 because the show runners didn't build up to anything in the end that made watching five seasons of it worth it. It ended up being a "spot the Arthurian legend reference" game instead of watching how any of those characters become the literary icons we know them as today. Robin Hood has three seasons but I only acknowledge the first two Laughing

Preacher and Misfits are both really cool (and very dark/black humor) takes on the comic book/super hero mythologies, which I have no interest in but those managed to catch my eye. Preacher I believe is based off a DC comic, and Misfits is about a storm that gave everyone super powers based off their personalities but you follow the series through five people doing community service. It launched the career of Robert Sheenan who stars in the Umbrella Academy (another show I've been told about but might watch some day).

If I had to recommend anything from that list, though, it would be Killing Eve. It was the most critically acclaimed show of 2018 and is one of the most solid pieces of television I've watched in a long time.

How To Get Away With Murder and Elementary are in the same boat if you want to watch lots of episodes about murders and criminal cases and how they're solved each week, but then also deal with a larger plot in-between for each season. So there's ups and downs like any series with 50+ episodes would have.

Luther is very similar to Sherlock, but way darker, more serious, and became infinitely more frustrating as the series went on because Idris Elba and Ruth Wilson's dynamic took over the show in a way they weren't anticipating (in a good way). So of course the writers had to ruin it and break it so they can go back to talking about what they wanted to talk about, which prompted very odd narrative choices that frustrated audiences, only for them to go back to their dynamic again anyway but it wasn't the same and omg I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it Laughing But it starts off as a solid show for the first three seasons and the acting is always great so idk what to tell you.

Sense8 is the sorest spot on this list cause I'm still mad netflix canceled it, but it's amazing and I recommend it but it's not G-rated in the least so proceed with caution Laughing People were so mad it was canceled they brought it back in a special to close off the series, though, so it won't leave you hanging.

My Mad Fat Diary is also a really good show that I believe is based off a book, but some of the subject matter can be pretty heavy as shows about teens can be. But it'll make you laugh and break your heart at the same time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum