Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - What TV shows are you watching?
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What TV shows are you watching?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Meesh wrote:
Some of the ones y'all have listed I'm not very familiar with. Do you highly recommend any of them?

BBC Robin Hood is in the same boat as BBC Merlin since they were airing around the same time. They are kinda cheesy, but are also good fun when you want something kind of low stakes and light to watch. Merlin, in my opinion gets better from season 1, but then declined after series 3 because the show runners didn't build up to anything in the end that made watching five seasons of it worth it. It ended up being a "spot the Arthurian legend reference" game instead of watching how any of those characters become the literary icons we know them as today. Robin Hood has three seasons but I only acknowledge the first two Laughing

Preacher and Misfits are both really cool (and very dark/black humor) takes on the comic book/super hero mythologies, which I have no interest in but those managed to catch my eye. Preacher I believe is based off a DC comic, and Misfits is about a storm that gave everyone super powers based off their personalities but you follow the series through five people doing community service. It launched the career of Robert Sheenan who stars in the Umbrella Academy (another show I've been told about but might watch some day).

If I had to recommend anything from that list, though, it would be Killing Eve. It was the most critically acclaimed show of 2018 and is one of the most solid pieces of television I've watched in a long time.

How To Get Away With Murder and Elementary are in the same boat if you want to watch lots of episodes about murders and criminal cases and how they're solved each week, but then also deal with a larger plot in-between for each season. So there's ups and downs like any series with 50+ episodes would have.

Luther is very similar to Sherlock, but way darker, more serious, and became infinitely more frustrating as the series went on because Idris Elba and Ruth Wilson's dynamic took over the show in a way they weren't anticipating (in a good way). So of course the writers had to ruin it and break it so they can go back to talking about what they wanted to talk about, which prompted very odd narrative choices that frustrated audiences, only for them to go back to their dynamic again anyway but it wasn't the same and omg I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it Laughing But it starts off as a solid show for the first three seasons and the acting is always great so idk what to tell you.

Sense8 is the sorest spot on this list cause I'm still mad netflix canceled it, but it's amazing and I recommend it but it's not G-rated in the least so proceed with caution Laughing People were so mad it was canceled they brought it back in a special to close off the series, though, so it won't leave you hanging.

My Mad Fat Diary is also a really good show that I believe is based off a book, but some of the subject matter can be pretty heavy as shows about teens can be. But it'll make you laugh and break your heart at the same time.

So I'm gathering that I should check out Killing Eve and Sense8, and the others are at least worth looking into? The concept of Misfits sounds really interesting too.

Princess of Agrabah wrote:
I have the last free summer of my life before I start law school in the fall so I’m trying to work through as many shows as I can Laughing. I’m currently watching The West Wing for the first time, and all of the CW’s Arrowverse shows (I’m a comics geek). I’m also watching The Office, Parks and Recreation, The Good Wife, Amazon’s Jack Ryan, and Burden of Truth. I also do love Call the Midwife but I’m very behind on it. And I’m waiting with baited breath for the next season of Anne with an E.

I watched like 5 seasons of Arrow before I lost interest. My family watched Supergirl and The Flash, and they seem pretty fun. It's just a bit much to keep up with. I also watched the first seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones, and they were great. It's just too much! I've never heard of Burden of Truth, and I don't know much about The Good Wife or Anne with an E. Would you recommend them?

Also congrats on Law School!
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zitagirl wrote:
If we can add anime here as well, I would like to mention Magi, Madoka Magica and Seven Deadly Sins (manga). I actually really like all 3, even though I avoid Madoka Magica when I'm feeling down. Razz

I've also wanted to try giving anime a go, but the idea is kind of intimidating. I used to loooove Sailor Moon, but that's pretty much as far as I've gone into that world.
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:

I watched like 5 seasons of Arrow before I lost interest. My family watched Supergirl and The Flash, and they seem pretty fun. It's just a bit much to keep up with. I also watched the first seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones, and they were great. It's just too much! I've never heard of Burden of Truth, and I don't know much about The Good Wife or Anne with an E. Would you recommend them?

Also congrats on Law School!

I'm only on Season 3 of Arrow and it really took a lot of effort to get there Laughing I'm too used to Justin Hartley's Green Arrow in Smallville. Supergirl is the only one of the lot that I'm currently up to date on, and is probably my favorite right next to The Flash. Legends of Tomorrow is pretty fun too! It's a ton to keep up with. I haven't seen any of the Marvel ones except Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter, but I've heard good things!

Burden of Truth is a Canadian legal drama about this big city lawyer coming back to her small town to help out with a case that involves an environmental crisis sickening these school children. It's really good, I highly recommend it! Anne with an E is on Netflix and it's also Canadian--it's based on the Anne of Green Gables books, which I haven't read, but so far it's very good. The Good Wife is another legal drama--I'm still in Season 1 because I've seen bits and pieces of it over the years and wanted to watch it from the beginning, but I'm enjoying it so far. It's about this politician's wife who returns to practicing law after her husband has an affair and loses his job.

Thank you!
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
zitagirl wrote:
If we can add anime here as well, I would like to mention Magi, Madoka Magica and Seven Deadly Sins (manga). I actually really like all 3, even though I avoid Madoka Magica when I'm feeling down. Razz

I've also wanted to try giving anime a go, but the idea is kind of intimidating. I used to loooove Sailor Moon, but that's pretty much as far as I've gone into that world.

Just treat it as any other show or series. It's just a medium with its own strength and weaknesses. Has its own share of good and bad stuff. Look into genres you are interested in and I'm sure you will find some good stuff.

And how the hell I left out Bleach, lol? Laughing I even still play Brave Souls because least there we get the last arc and the novel and even Kubo collaborates with the devs there.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh Smallville is another series I'd like to watch.

What's a good anime to get my feet wet with?
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
Ahh Smallville is another series I'd like to watch.

What's a good anime to get my feet wet with?

Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bepop, Madoka Magica , One Punch Man, Steins Gate. These ones that come to my mind now and think are good and aren1t long-ass like some of the ongoing anime atm.
Princess of Agrabah
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallville is probably my favorite TV show ever. I love it!
Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite all the flaws Bleach has, its highlights are still just close to perfection. Reread some chapters and ended up reading a manga-exclusive part where Ichigo gets his true Zanpaktou. Let me just say... it's brilliant.

A quick summary to what happened before this, so you can get why these 2 chapters hits hard: Quincies started to attack Soul Society Ywach as their leader, heavily damaging the shinigmais, including Ichigo as they break his bankai (if a bankai breaks, it remains broken and weakened forever unless 0. squad's zanpaktou creator forges you a new one) and since he was not fitting to understand the asauchis (long story, but basically they are the basis for zanpaktous: artificial souls that become a part of the shinigami's soul that represents the wielder's power and personality. Ichigo did not have an asauchi, since his zanpaktou was never created in Soul Society but rather as he awakened his powers under the training of Urahara. It's bit weird, although him having both hollow and quincy powers do explain this extraordinary case) so he was sent back to the Living World where his father told him who and what happened to his mother.

Long story short, his mother was a pure-blood quincy who got attacked by a white hollow created by previous big bad guy, Aizen and in order to stop the effects of the hollow, the father had to connect his soul to hers (father was a Captain level shinigami) to keep the hollow inside of her at bay. But because the hollow still being there, Ichigo inherited it when he was born (because eventually the 2 fell in love with each other), along with both powers from the parents (nice hybrid we have here).

His mother died though as Ywach awakened and took all non pure-blooded quincies' powers to strengthen himself and due to the hollow attack, she became inpure as well (hollow is like poison to them actually) and when the hollow Grand Fisher attacked her and young Ichigo, she died while protecting him (Ichigo actually blamed himself for her death till he found out the truth and this is the real reason he wants to become strong: so he can protect people and never have him or anyone experience this again).

After this, he goes back to the Soul King Palace via some help (0. squad are basically guards of the Soul King and lot more powerful than ordinary captains) and starts to work on his Zanpaktou, but before that it turns out who he thought to be Zangetsu (that's how his Zanpaktou is called which means Moonslayer and bankai is called Tensa Zangetsu which translates to Chained Moonslayer) is actually a fraction of Ywach who represents his quincy powers and all this time he tried to suppress hollow/shinigami powers in order to keep Ichigo from danger).

Rest is told in the 2 chapters, but damn it's just so well done. Not only we get to understand "Zangetsu" even better than before, the way Kubo represents Ichigo's emotions and thoughts (they are in his inner world where the buildings represent his hope and faith and cloudless sky shows him being fine emotionally. When it rains and slowly turns the world into an endless ocean it shows Ichigo being in true despair and hopelessness as the buildings crumble (it was raining when his mother died as well, so you get the connection)) it's just touching. Just looking at Ichigo's face in chapter 541 makes my heart aching and want to hug him.

And chapter 542's ending... just brilliant. Despite all the emotions dwelling him from all the stuff he learnt within hours, Ichigo is not angry or mad, he's only sad and slowly accepts reality and finds out that all this time both the inner hollow and "Zangetsu" were all along not only his power, but himself as well and thanks them for everything while claiming from now on he will fight on his own (accepting them as being him basically).

You can watch the chapters themselves here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXpu2nRqxOs (sorry about the long explanations, just rather gave some info to show why I find this so good).

I know both Bleach and Kubo got tons of criticism over the years and can understand why. Neither are flawless and rushing the ending of the manga didn't do much good either, but moments like these reminds me why I got into it and still love Bleach and even look up to Kubo.

I just hope we will get the last arc in anime (and potentially fixing some stuff such as the rushed ending) because I so want to see moments like these adapted to animation, with all the music and voice actors giving in their heart and soul.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started Killing Eve last week! I'm 3 episodes in.

First thing we learn about the character is that she sang AWNW the night before, so obviously it's my new favorite show Laughing

I'll probably go through it slowly. For some reason, I'm a little bit TV-showed out and have been doing some self-discovery and podcasts and stuff.

--

P.S. AG - I hope your boat trip went well Smile
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the moment I knew this show was going to be my new favorite Laughing Isn't it amazing?

I'm probably gonna start on these recommendations soon cause pretty much everything I watch ends this year/early next year so it's time to replace them.

It did! I had more fun on the cruise ship than off it, but I figured that might have been the case given the cliche, diet version of their countries and cultures that locals have to give tourists.

But I got to impress some art gallery directors with my pseudo-knowledge of Thomas Kinkade solely because I waited forever for him to paint an Aladdin piece for his Disney series Laughing
Edward Falcon
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still bingewatching Totally Spies. That’s the only show I am really watching at the moment. I wish I had become a fan of this show years earlier. I missed out on a lot here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum