Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Series Rewatch Thread&Discussion
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Series Rewatch Thread&Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: THE BOOK OF KHARTOUM

AladdinsGenie wrote:
ngl I'm bored with these Mozenrath episodes cause it's just him looking for ways to take Genie's power over and over again.

Same, but this ep in particular bores me. I feel like it's a waste of Eden. Like we get ONE follow-up ep with her, and she spends the whole thing in a bottle. I WANNA SEE THEM DO STUFF TOGETHER AND GROW.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Wait, no one stayed behind with Dhandi? For once, Iago could have stayed and we get hilarious hijinks as a side plot of him trying to keep her entertained

This is actually brilliant.

-------------------------------------------

Ahhh Tony Jay. The sound of cartoon villainy in the 90's.

Khartoum says they need cosmic power, and Mozenrath immediately goes to capture Genie. Hasn't he heard the spiel? NEARLY COSMIC. NEARLY.

Okay so Aladdin's face awkwardly freezes when Iago is talking on his shoulder kind of often, but I have a new theory that time freezes for us to hear Iago's inner dialogue. There was one time when Aladdin's face was frozen in this where Iago was thinking out loud ("very loud"). And a few seconds later, same shot, Iago was talking to Genie, and Aladdin's face was NOT frozen.

Why is Genie getting into a carriage in the middle of nowhere and just assuming it's okay.

Eden: Genie! Are you alright?
Like... He's clearly not alright...

Genie: I always thought we'd grow old together, Eden, but not this fast.
Eden: (blows Genie a kiss) At least we had Agrabah.
^^ Gotta appreciate the dark humor as they are essentially dying.

Genie calls her "sweet love." That's so sweet.

So Genie and Eden are presumed dead, it starts to rain, and Iago says literally nothing except to complain that he doesn't have an umbrella. Two seconds later, Genie and Eden are revealed to be alive, and he yells YEAH and high-gives Abu. Fair-weather friend, eh?
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:

Mirage: It's a fact of life, my dear. The pretty face of youth just doesn't stay with us and then the man we love wants another pretty face.
Iago: She's right. I've seen guys do it. Heck, I’ve done it... several times!
Jasmine: Iago!
Iago: What? I got a problem with commitment. I admit it.
^^ I'm gonna need the TEA on this

I always wondered if that meant he broke up with Thundra

Quote:

Genie covering the tunnel of wind hole... Does this mean that dog thing is just gonna spend its life going up and down, constantly getting its heads smacked into metal? Sounds kinda dark. Also what about people in the future who need to get to the tree?

That image is so funny Laughing

Maybe Genie removed it once they got to the tree and traveled back unless they just avoided that tunnel all together, which would beg the question why didn't they just fly around until they found the tree in the first place?

Quote:
Aladdin taking the lotion to become like Jasmine is the most romantic thing to ever happen in fiction. @me

All these other Disney princes are out here trying to go back to being human, but nah. Aladdin gave up his humanity to be with Jasmine. Again, when will your favs????
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHILE THE CITY SNOOZES

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Genie went to college?

Yeah! He majored in mamluk battling at ah, school Laughing

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Who wrote this episode? It has amazing dialouge Laughing . Also we need more Aladdin and Jasmine adventures without the gang

Agreed on both accounts!

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I mean, it's obvious all these people in here died from falling asleep, but no one moved their bodies after they closed the box? Cause someone had to manage to close it. They just left them there?

Motivation/warning to not fall asleep + scary, so maybe gets blood racing a bit to help stay awake?

--------------------------------------

I was mostly going to quote all the great lines in this one, but you did it for me Laughing

Ah yes Deus ex Fasir, right on time.

Is this Fasir nearing death? Or just falling asleep? Either way I'm calling it late in the series because they both are pretty cozy with him.

Disappointed because I thought this was the Aladdin-in-his-underwear episode, but that was the one when Iago is a ghost isn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
RE: THE HUNTED

I haven't watched The Pagemaster or that version of The Three Musketeers. More movies to add to the Covid Queue Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:

AladdinsGenie wrote:
So here's something I don't understand - if these ambassadors want their money and they're in Agrabah, why not just take a chest with them when they go back home?

I just figured that the marauders would attack them on their way home.

Right, so why are they on Agrabah's case about it? It's like "I don't care if you have to wage war with the marauders, we want our money!!" Okay, then take it home with you if you feel like you can do better. The goal was to get them their money and they're here now, so just take it and be gone. They just didn't want to take responsibility if it gets stolen again cause then it wouldn't be Agrabah's problem since they would have technically settled their debt when they accepted the payment.

Quote:

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I like how the ambassadors are taking Rasoul at his word that he heard Aladdin defect, but Aladdin needs "credible witnesses" and a corroborated story to prove he's working undercover

Classism. Do the neighboring lands not know who he is yet?

There's a loooooot of classism in the series, especially towards Aladdin and he just deals with it cause it makes this transition easier Confused

Quote:
Is this the same Zorasto from Sands of Fate?

You know, I never thought of this but maybe? His face is covered in Sands of Fate, but if it is him he put on a lot of muscle Laughing

Quote:
Which Riders of Ramond ep are we saying comes first?

I use to think this one cause Aladdin seems *_* about the riders being there, but after rewatching Sands of Fate I noticed Aladdin doesn't recognize them at all. He calls them "three horsemen" as if they were just some guys who needed help in the desert and Fasir has to tell him who they are.

Quote:
The whole exchange where Jasmine goes to rescue Aladdin while also being annoyed at men. <3

Aladdin: *rambles profusely*
Jasmine: shhh stop talking <3

This is absolutely not a plot they'd do today for sure, or at least not this blatant with the sexism she'd face and ways it would surface outside of her speaking up. Even the live action movie only managed to brushed on this.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: TWO TO TANGLE

AladdinsGenie wrote:
So maybe this is his last episode cause he's pretty much at the end of his life from the sound of it

I have always thought so.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Mozenrath: I need a new body...one that's young and agile.
*cuts to Aladdin*
This is how fanfic starts

Laughing

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Mozenrath, as Jasmine: I’m tired of playing, Aladdin. Why don't we go for a walk in the garden? *takes his hand*
This is also how fanfic starts

You're joking, but you're not.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
these worms look like the netherworld ones from beetlejuice

I've never seen anything Beetlejuice. They kind of reminded me of giant worms from an episode of 90's Saturday morning Superman though.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I never understood this ending with the cup filling back up again. Does this mean even if they spilled the elixir, more would have appeared so they have nothing to worry about?

Yes, but they'd have to put it back on the pedestal I guess.

-------------------------------------------

Ah yes, the rape-y Mozenrath episode #2

I legit used to think the real-life saying was "It takes two to tangle." It still makes sense, right?

If all Mozenrath needs is a nimble, young body, why doesn't he go with somebody easier to subdue? Why Aladdin? He's so obsessed.

Iago: Um, is it just me, or is Al a little goofy?
Aladdin: What's happening to me, guys?
Iago: Uh, let's just put it this way, Al. I wouldn't operate any heavy machinery if I were you!
Laughing

Why does Mozenrath feel the need to announce that he's going to take over Aladdin's body? Why doesn't he just do it?

Aladdin: You're a snake, Mozenrath!
Mozenrath: A snake am I?
Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Meesh"]
Quote:

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Wait, no one stayed behind with Dhandi? For once, Iago could have stayed and we get hilarious hijinks as a side plot of him trying to keep her entertained

When they get back Iago has taught her how to gamble and Dhandi's use of slang has grown massively Laughing

Quote:
Khartoum says they need cosmic power, and Mozenrath immediately goes to capture Genie. Hasn't he heard the spiel? NEARLY COSMIC. NEARLY.

I wonder what other magical being in this series would be considered completely cosmic, though. Maybe nearly with Genie is as close as you can get, I think.

Quote:

Genie: I always thought we'd grow old together, Eden, but not this fast.
Eden: (blows Genie a kiss) At least we had Agrabah.
^^ Gotta appreciate the dark humor as they are essentially dying.

And the pseudo Casablanca quote referencing the night before the Nazis invaded Paris Laughing

Quote:

So Genie and Eden are presumed dead, it starts to rain, and Iago says literally nothing except to complain that he doesn't have an umbrella. Two seconds later, Genie and Eden are revealed to be alive, and he yells YEAH and high-gives Abu. Fair-weather friend, eh?

I was gonna say maybe he didn't want to be emotional about him dying and made an awkward joke instead, but he's been immediately emotional thinking Abu or Aladdin has died, so idk. I know him and Genie 'fight' but not in a way that would warrant that kind of response (unless he knew they'd be okay afterwards cause Genie has blown up before)
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:

Is this Fasir nearing death? Or just falling asleep? Either way I'm calling it late in the series because they both are pretty cozy with him.

That line about him fighting Mirage for too long makes it seem like he's dying, but I think it's just him nearing the end of having the strength to continue fighting her cause if he continues he will die, if that makes sense. I get the feeling if the series went on longer Fasir was going to be a bigger deal.

Quote:

Disappointed because I thought this was the Aladdin-in-his-underwear episode, but that was the one when Iago is a ghost isn't it?

Yes, when he goes in to his dream Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
This does make me curious to know if the other villains knew of Jafar and if he knew of them....

Apparently, if he did, he did not share the info with Iago.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I wonder why he's getting "older' and she's not. Even Mozenrath gave his right hand for power and it was literally killing him in his early 20s. I wonder if Mirage was human once and gave up her "humanity" to become an evil cat

If that's true, then her method of turning Jasmine into an animal is even more poignant. Because it also subconsciously tells her that Fasir still loves her too.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Meesh wrote:

Mirage: It's a fact of life, my dear. The pretty face of youth just doesn't stay with us and then the man we love wants another pretty face.
Iago: She's right. I've seen guys do it. Heck, I’ve done it... several times!
Jasmine: Iago!
Iago: What? I got a problem with commitment. I admit it.
^^ I'm gonna need the TEA on this

I always wondered if that meant he broke up with Thundra

Same!

AladdinsGenie wrote:
...which would beg the question why didn't they just fly around until they found the tree in the first place?

I wonder this every time. I just blame it on magic and/or not knowing the way without the markers? idk

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I haven't watched The Pagemaster or that version of The Three Musketeers. More movies to add to the Covid Queue

I haven't seen The Pagemaster since I was a kid, so I can't speak to it now. But I did rewatch The Three Musketeers a few months ago. Still cheesy and a lot of fun, but the writing of the female characters didn't age particularly well.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
You know, I never thought of this but maybe? His face is covered in Sands of Fate, but if it is him he put on a lot of muscle

What if Zorasto is the title name?

AladdinsGenie wrote:
This is absolutely not a plot they'd do today for sure, or at least not this blatant with the sexism she'd face and ways it would surface outside of her speaking up. Even the live action movie only managed to brushed on this.

I think it's interesting how blatant the sexism is in Rider's Redux without anybody nobody actually coming out and saying they were treating her differently because she is a woman.

Why don't you think they'd do it today?

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Meesh wrote:

AladdinsGenie wrote:

When they get back Iago has taught her how to gamble and Dhandi's use of slang has grown massively Laughing

And/or she can do a perfect impression of somebody.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:

If all Mozenrath needs is a nimble, young body, why doesn't he go with somebody easier to subdue? Why Aladdin? He's so obsessed.

Okay, you watch Beetlejuice and I'll watch the Pagemaster Laughing

It would have been so funny if every so often Aladdin fights a new person, but it's just Mozenrath in a different body each time.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:

AladdinsGenie wrote:

I think it's interesting how blatant the sexism is in Rider's Redux without anybody nobody actually coming out and saying they were treating her differently because she is a woman.

Why don't you think they'd do it today?

Because once Disney shifted their characters to being more homogenized for their group franchises, Jasmine having to deal with blatant sexism, misogyny, etc. (even if it was rarely framed as such - I'm thinking of Murk saying she can't come with them because "she's a woman") turned into a generic "Someone told Jasmine she couldn't do something but she just kept trying and succeeded" message.

The live-action movie re-shifted this message to Jasmine being "silenced" yet she found a way to use her voice, but it's still generic in that it isn't saying why she was specifically being treated that way in the first place when I thought that would have been the one outlet they'd out right say it. We keep dancing around the reason now since I guess they want the princesses to be more relatable to everyone regardless of gender.

I think Disney got it in their heads that their 90s heroines were too...I don't want to say "strong" but mirroring real life in a way that made them harder to relate to them individually, so the nitty gritty forces influencing what these girls had to deal with were swapped with subtle antagonism when I think transparency is key to understanding where some of the princesses are coming from in their stories (especially since we don't water down those forces when it comes to the heroes. You know why Aladdin, Tarzan, Quasimodo, etc. are being treated the way they are).
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ethereal

Ahhh yes the one where they actually kill a main character. (but not permanently obviously)

AladdinsGenie wrote:
So I noticed they always says "____'s gone" instead of "____'s dead" despite using "death" and "die" in the series.

https://www.instagram.com/theydidntdie/

I like how they know what hail is.

I like how built-up the creatures of destruction are, and they're literally 2 giant scorpions that slowly attack like 2 citizens.

Aladdin: *tackles the ethereal*
Me: A malevolent, omnipotent being shows up and you tackle her?!
Iago: A malevolent, omnipotent being shows up and you tackle her?!

Aladdin just lets Jasmine go off with this killer mystic. I feel like early Aladdin would get all macho and protective.

Okay Agrabah's library looks a lot like the library from BatB but with Eastern flair.

"Genies under 2000 eat free." I like how this restaurant in Agrabah is actually trying to attract Genies.

I wonder how historians would look back on Agrabah's demise. Like how would they explain that? Others she had visited have explanations.

Okay that killer cube lowers from the sky, and all I can think of is the killer pyramid in Kung Pow. Anybody?

My man Aladdin (and Carpet) flying right in front of the killer mouth to throw the spear in!!

Omar: From now on, free apples for you and your monkey!
Me: Dang I should have been paying attention to whether or not Aladdin and Abu steal from Omar for the chronology!! Laughing

They like actually kill Jasmine. Like Aladdin feels her pulse and everything. His line "Why spare us now?" THE DRAMA

When I was a kid, I was all like "wow this ep is so deep" and now I'm like "wtf she is destroying an entire people because their leaders weren't reading her mind" also "wow she is destroying innocent 'great' people because they... are underrated ??"

Ethereal: Remember the lesson learned here today. Cherish your people, or, should you forget, I shall return.
... Sooo is this why Agrabah doesn't exist anymore? Or are we sticking with an alternate universe theory where Agrabah is the center of the world, and everybody magical and non-magical prospers together? Smile
... Also hopeful that she doesn't keep up with American politics Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

America could use a spinning cube of death right now. Point it right at the White House Laughing
Dark Rose
Goth Genie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
The Ethereal

Ahhh yes the one where they actually kill a main character. (but not permanently obviously)

AladdinsGenie wrote:
So I noticed they always says "____'s gone" instead of "____'s dead" despite using "death" and "die" in the series.

https://www.instagram.com/theydidntdie/

I like how they know what hail is.

I like how built-up the creatures of destruction are, and they're literally 2 giant scorpions that slowly attack like 2 citizens.

Aladdin: *tackles the ethereal*
Me: A malevolent, omnipotent being shows up and you tackle her?!
Iago: A malevolent, omnipotent being shows up and you tackle her?!

Aladdin just lets Jasmine go off with this killer mystic. I feel like early Aladdin would get all macho and protective.

Okay Agrabah's library looks a lot like the library from BatB but with Eastern flair.

"Genies under 2000 eat free." I like how this restaurant in Agrabah is actually trying to attract Genies.

I wonder how historians would look back on Agrabah's demise. Like how would they explain that? Others she had visited have explanations.

Okay that killer cube lowers from the sky, and all I can think of is the killer pyramid in Kung Pow. Anybody?

My man Aladdin (and Carpet) flying right in front of the killer mouth to throw the spear in!!

Omar: From now on, free apples for you and your monkey!
Me: Dang I should have been paying attention to whether or not Aladdin and Abu steal from Omar for the chronology!! Laughing

They like actually kill Jasmine. Like Aladdin feels her pulse and everything. His line "Why spare us now?" THE DRAMA

When I was a kid, I was all like "wow this ep is so deep" and now I'm like "wtf she is destroying an entire people because their leaders weren't reading her mind" also "wow she is destroying innocent 'great' people because they... are underrated ??"

Ethereal: Remember the lesson learned here today. Cherish your people, or, should you forget, I shall return.
... Sooo is this why Agrabah doesn't exist anymore? Or are we sticking with an alternate universe theory where Agrabah is the center of the world, and everybody magical and non-magical prospers together? Smile
... Also hopeful that she doesn't keep up with American politics Laughing

I knew 2000 was a babby Genie age... Not to bash Eden (especially since I'd rather be in love with Carpet, and besides I hate members of the community bashing her for "stealing their waifu") but I knew their age gaps were messed up Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shadow Knows

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Man I don't remember this episode

I only remember this one because the last time I watched it, I remember thinking "Man I don't remember this at all" Laughing Pretty sure it's the one where Ayam tries to steal their shadows. Also I remember thinking the queen of the shadow world had a cool design.

AladdinsGenie wrote:

Talk about shadow-boxing

Laughing

FURTHER THOUGHTS...

What's this title supposed to be paying homage to?

The banishment spell Ayam is talking about... Is that at the end of "As the Netherworld Turns"?

I'm still kind of confused about the after-lives in this world. Is the netherworld separate from just regular old after-life? Because Hades/River Styx is also a thing. And Aladdin will die someday...

Iago: Al, did we have to get up this early? If I don't get a full night's sleep I'm grouchy all day.
Laughing

Okay now I'm actively noticing their shadows and, if I'm curious about how their shadows are drawn in other eps now... but not curious enough to go check.

Aladdin: Ayam Aghoul? Is that you?
Me: Don't say you're a shadow of your fo-
Ayam's shadow: Let's just say I'm a shadow of my former self. (laughs
Mad

Man this ep has a lot of terrible Ayam puns. I'm curious if any of them are recycled from other eps... but not curious enough to go check.

Okay... did the shadows miss the part where they die too? I feel like I would stress that if I were the gang.

I'm confused by Carpet's speed in the series. Because sometimes he's so fast he can out-fly the sprites and levitate a whole-ass palace. But other eps he's caught fairly easily.

Okay we need to watch this with an Ayam pun drinking game.

I feel like they could all be super protected by hanging out under some intense light Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 25 of 26

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum