Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Good Books?
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Books?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Good Books? Reply with quote

Do y'all have any good book recommendations? Especially ones that an Aladdin fan would enjoy? Laughing
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Books? Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
Do y'all have any good book recommendations? Especially ones that an Aladdin fan would enjoy? Laughing

*looks at Bartimaeus triology* I honestly only started to read that because the title character is a genie. Embarassed

It's set in a rather modern time England where wizards have powers thanks to these spirits that they can summon and command. Storyline follows a young wizard called Nathaniel who summons Bartimaeus to steal an amulet from a powerful wizard. Rest would be spoiler, but it has quite a well-built world with interesting characters and interesting storyline.

Warning though, it's not a happy story. It gets rather dark just from the first book, having quite a pessimistic outlook on the world and its history that only Bartimaeus' sassy jokes light it up from time to time.

There was also a 4th book set 2k years before the events, but you can skip that with no issue. Doesn't add anything to the triology, even if it wasn't a bad book.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went to the Amazon page for the first book, and all of the reviews are for Eric Carle's The Hungry Caterpillar (?)*shrug*(?)

Anyways, sounds great - thanks for the rec!!
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
I just went to the Amazon page for the first book, and all of the reviews are for Eric Carle's The Hungry Caterpillar (?)*shrug*(?)

Anyways, sounds great - thanks for the rec!!

Amazon is funny I see.

Don't mention it. Hope you will enjoy the book!
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i highly recommended The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker

https://www.amazon.com/Golem-Jinni-Novel-P-S/dp/0062110845

In The Golem and the Jinni, a chance meeting between mythical beings takes readers on a dazzling journey through cultures in turn-of-the-century New York.

Chava is a golem, a creature made of clay, brought to life to by a disgraced rabbi who dabbles in dark Kabbalistic magic and dies at sea on the voyage from Poland. Chava is unmoored and adrift as the ship arrives in New York harbor in 1899.

Ahmad is a jinni, a being of fire born in the ancient Syrian desert, trapped in an old copper flask, and released in New York City, though still not entirely free

Ahmad and Chava become unlikely friends and soul mates with a mystical connection. Marvelous and compulsively readable, Helene Wecker's debut novel The Golem and the Jinni weaves strands of Yiddish and Middle Eastern literature, historical fiction and magical fable, into a wondrously inventive and unforgettable tale

It jumps between historic NYC during the immigration boom and ancient Middle East, following ~a dozen characters, and ties it all together wondrously.
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also read The Fire Wish, the first book of the Jinni Wars series. It was fun but kinda read like a fanfiction. I felt a little old for it or something.
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latter doesn't seem that interesting (very fanfiction-y), but that other book sounds quite interesting. Probably gonna go and see if I can get it here either in English or Hungarian.
Hussar_303
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
i highly recommended The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker

https://www.amazon.com/Golem-Jinni-Novel-P-S/dp/0062110845

In The Golem and the Jinni, a chance meeting between mythical beings takes readers on a dazzling journey through cultures in turn-of-the-century New York.

Chava is a golem, a creature made of clay, brought to life to by a disgraced rabbi who dabbles in dark Kabbalistic magic and dies at sea on the voyage from Poland. Chava is unmoored and adrift as the ship arrives in New York harbor in 1899.

Ahmad is a jinni, a being of fire born in the ancient Syrian desert, trapped in an old copper flask, and released in New York City, though still not entirely free

Ahmad and Chava become unlikely friends and soul mates with a mystical connection. Marvelous and compulsively readable, Helene Wecker's debut novel The Golem and the Jinni weaves strands of Yiddish and Middle Eastern literature, historical fiction and magical fable, into a wondrously inventive and unforgettable tale

It jumps between historic NYC during the immigration boom and ancient Middle East, following ~a dozen characters, and ties it all together wondrously.

Thanks, this sounds quite great! Now comes the true challenge: finding a place that has it in English (or French) but ships to Russia, as I work there now... This is going to be fun. I hope there's a version for e-readers...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum