Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Aladdin Becomes The Third Film Of 2019 To Cross $800 Million
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aladdin Becomes The Third Film Of 2019 To Cross $800 Million
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Aladdin Becomes The Third Film Of 2019 To Cross $800 Million Reply with quote

Exactly one month after the debut of Disney's Aladdin, the remake of the animated classic is now sitting at a worldwide total of $810.1 million (which far surpasses the original 1992 film which made $504 million worldwide). It joins Avengers: Endgame and Captain Marvel as the only movies so far to reach that mark. Congrats! Very Happy

Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine being Mena, who has like no film credits before this!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a lot of pressure to be under and he's super chill about it all (the whole cast is, actually). It's impressive.
Mirage
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Earnings Reply with quote

And what about when the 1992 film is adjusted for inflation? Smile
Favorite Quotes: "I do love a tragic ending."
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Earnings Reply with quote

Mirage wrote:
And what about when the 1992 film is adjusted for inflation? Smile

Still lower, although I wouldn't say the new movie is better because more income. Don't forget it was different time and new movie has the benefit of people having nostalgia that grew up on the animated movie.

Anyway, congratulations to them! I may not love the movie, but glad the movie did well (although I did expect that). I'm sure this will help both Mena's and Naomi's carrier. Very Happy
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various online inflation calculators are putting 1992's sum to a little over 900mil today.
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
Various online inflation calculators are putting 1992's sum to a little over 900mil today.

Oh it does? Huh, I did not know that. The more you know...
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically:

(US) $217,350,219 USD ($396,733,088.27 adjusted)
(worldwide) $286,700,000 USD ($523,318,434.78 adjusted)
-------
$504,050,219 or $ $920,051,523 adjusted

Either way, give it a few more weeks and I'm sure it'll pass that number too. It's doing amazing and that fills me with evil glee Laughing

Adjusted Gross income has always been really silly, though, if only because it's literally impossible to compare two films released decades apart. Not just because of ticket prices going up, but because of shifting markets, constant changes in currency worldwide, re-releases, home video/television income being included or not, the entire equation of the Chinese market being added or not added to a total, etc.

That's why Gone with the Wind is the number one movie of all time when you know there's no way people in the 1930s spent the equivalent of almost 2 billion dollars watching it in the midst of the depression.
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Basically:

(US) $217,350,219 USD ($396,733,088.27 adjusted)
(worldwide) $286,700,000 USD ($523,318,434.78 adjusted)
-------
$504,050,219 or $ $920,051,523 adjusted

Either way, give it a few more weeks and I'm sure it'll pass that number too. It's doing amazing and that fills me with evil glee Laughing

Adjusted Gross income has always been really silly, though, if only because it's literally impossible to compare two films released decades apart. Not just because of ticket prices going up, but because of shifting markets, constant changes in currency worldwide, re-releases, home video/television income being included or not, the entire equation of the Chinese market being added or not added to a total, etc.

That's why Gone with the Wind is the number one movie of all time when you know there's no way people in the 1930s spent the equivalent of almost 2 billion dollars watching it in the midst of the depression.

Yeah I'm well aware of this and reason why I try o ignore the income of a movie or series when it comes to quality. Sure it's nice to see something doing well, but doesn't exactly imply how good it actually is. Just hope people will be smart enough and won't bring this up a lot in arguments and discussions.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, no one brought up it's "quality" just now but you, so I don't know why that's a concern on this thread....?
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I mean, no one brought up it's "quality" just now but you, so I don't know why that's a concern on this thread....?

I did not mean this thread... my bad, didn't mean to stir up anything.

I really should stay off social media for a bit..
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to do that! Laughing

All we're doing in this thread is celebrating something positive about the film by talking of its monetary success, which yes, I personally agree with you that - in general - cultural popularity, critical acclaim, or overall money made at the box office are not important factors to me when thinking a movie is good or not, or if it's something I personally find enjoyable or of value. I think I have a healthy mix of all kinds of movies that span the opinion chart on if they're "good" or not.

But what this film is accomplishing right now financially IS a big deal for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with why you personally hated everything about the film and hope no one brings up how well it's doing as a reason for why they personally loved the film or think it's a good movie in future discussions - be that here or some place else. Maybe I should have discussed why this is important, but I also don't feel the need to start off all talk of any aspect of this film with "You know, Aladdin (2019) has its flaws, but...."
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week old, but relevant and adorable

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naomi said this looks like an "ethnic engagement pic" that each family sends out to announce the wedding and I haven't stop laughing since cause it's so true Laughing
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
You don't have to do that! Laughing

All we're doing in this thread is celebrating something positive about the film by talking of its monetary success, which yes, I personally agree with you that - in general - cultural popularity, critical acclaim, or overall money made at the box office are not important factors to me when thinking a movie is good or not, or if it's something I personally find enjoyable or of value. I think I have a healthy mix of all kinds of movies that span the opinion chart on if they're "good" or not.

But what this film is accomplishing right now financially IS a big deal for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with why you personally hated everything about the film and hope no one brings up how well it's doing as a reason for why they personally loved the film or think it's a good movie in future discussions - be that here or some place else. Maybe I should have discussed why this is important, but I also don't feel the need to start off all talk of any aspect of this film with "You know, Aladdin (2019) has its flaws, but...."

Okay fine, I get what you mean and yes I know this is a very big deal and honestly I'm happy about that the movie does really well. I may not love the movie (solid 6/10 on its own honestly or even better), but I see why people love it and I'm okay with that, just reading too much social media I also saw the not so nice side of people.

Aside from this do you guys think they will win awards on the Teens Choose Awards ting? I have seen them getting nominated for almost everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum