Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - The Little Mermaid (Live Action)
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Little Mermaid (Live Action)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fez_Head
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the video Meesh posted about the lyrics being changed in this live action has me wondering how many other live action movies have had the same thing happen to them. I know for Aladdin, new lyrics were added to Arabian Nights and the reprise of One Jump Ahead or that the lyric "Sunday salaam" was changed to "Friday salaam" to reflect the day of prayer in Islam, but I can't recall the other live actions doing such significant changes.

Does anyone know if the other live actions have undergone lyric changes like this? Just curious...
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they did alter the lyrics of Arabian Nights, the part where originally had the "where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face" to "where you wonder among, every culture and tongue" which I actually quite like and definitely much better than the original alteration.

No idea if they altered the lyrics in the Hungarian dub too. Hang on a sec *boots up Disney+*. Nope, we still got the "Ahol minden sivár, mindig perrzsel a nyár" (where everything is barren, summer always burning).

I do know they tried to make Friend Like Me more hip and well...it hurts my ears to this day. Does not help that the dub voice for Will Smith could not hold a candle in terms of singing compared to OG dub Genie.

Now I wonder if they will change the Kiss the Girl in my language, because here it's already called "Csókra vár" which means "she's waiting for (the) kiss" which idk about you guys, but seems like her consent is loud and clear Razz
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little BTS:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CsBUQ5PojLK/

Also, the soundtrack is out but only on Amazon Music Unlimited:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-little-mermaid-2023-soundtrack-listen-stream-buy-online-1234732453/
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clip of "Under the Sea"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgrqAgDqg0Y
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mena Massoud got into a little hot water by predicting TLM won’t do as well as Aladdin:

https://amp.tmz.com/2023/05/13/mena-massoud-aladdin-delete-twitter-little-mermaid-backlash/
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to understand why he would think that. If the other three of the "Big 4 of The Disney Renaissance" made it to a billion, why would The Little Mermaid not? Ariel's fans show up for her - including Miss Jodi Benson, before you even get in to nostalgia hungry millennials who love the original film. I actually think overall it's going to do the same or a little better than Aladdin's $1.1 billion as it has a lot less controversy weighing it down and causing people to stay away if we're keeping it real ("Controversies" is the alternate title "Aladdin", I swear Laughing)

Plus, Disney has done a lot for the marketing of this film and targeting particular demographics to ensure it's successful - not because they have to work hard to get audiences to want to see it - but because we're in a "post-covid"/high-inflation market where people have to be really picky about where their money goes. The theater industry overall is still in a slump with the occasional burst of a big - usually superhero - movie here and there. And while Disney traditionally owns the box office around Memorial Day weekend, they can't assume people are going to spend $18+ per person on tickets - especially for something they've technically already seen - as easily as they would have before.

I don't think it's getting a sequel, though, even if it is successful. The Lion King getting another movie is weird on its own even with making $1.6 billion, but I imagine the logistics of doing voice overs is easier (and way cheaper) than trying to pull together a cast of actors with busy filming schedules throughout the year. However, I doubt that's why the proposed Aladdin sequel is dead in the water, though, but I didn't think that was going too far either way (along with that supposed Prince Anders spin-off for Disney+ that literally no one asked for Laughing)
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought that Mena Massoud's tweet was a little bizarre because out of all the Big 4 live actions, I could see The Little Mermaid making MAJOR money. Everywhere I turn on social media, there is some news article or some video talking about the movie coming out.

Aladdinsgenie, I agree with you that the proposed sequels for these live action movies are just plain weird, especially that Prince Anders one. I honestly want to know who at Disney decided that the most annoying character from the live action Aladdin movie needed his own movie. Is there anyone who even liked the character enough to warrant that type of thinking? Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Fez_Head and AG - I thought his tweet was strange too. I just read it like he was hype-manning himself like "MY TEAM IS #1 AND WILL ALWAYS BE #1" Laughing I think TLM will do extremely well, and I agree it might surpass Aladdin.

Re: The Aladdin sequel/spin-offs. 2019 was so long ago - nobody even thinks about the live action anymore. I don't even think about it anymore. It was a fun thing that happened once. Not sure if a sequel or spin-off will be exciting enough to be worth it anymore. Maybe if it somehow came out like the same year (2019) people would be excited about it, but it's been so long.
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it!! No spoilers here yet...

My main notes are:

1. It was a little too long. Took foreeeever to get her turned into a human.
2. The romance between Ariel and Eric was really given the update it deserved - it was really sweet and believable. I was very impressed with how well they made the 2 believably fall in real love in 1 day with Ariel not having her voice. The 2 also have great chemistry.
3. They did a really nice job updating Eric to give him more personality and depth. +Jonah Hauer-King is super lovable as Eric.
4. Score updates were really well done. Looking forward to that part of the soundtrack being available? I hope?
5. Overall good casting. But nobody in my party enjoyed Javier Bardem as Triton. He felt like he just showed up, had 0 fun, and kinda sucked all lovability out of the character.
6. Halle Bailey was amazing. 10/10 no notes.
7. Location change and character additions/changes/updates were all good.
8. The new songs are... fine. They didn't feel stylistically out of place like "Speechless" does, and their placements make sense in context, but they obviously don't hold a candle to the originals.

There are definitely more specific things I could nitpick but those are my overall impressions!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your notes match everyone else's I've come across. What's wild is Javier Bardem was supposed to have a song and they cut it Laughing

And I will say one thing I do enjoy about the string of Live Action updates is Alan Menken getting to revisit his scores and update them. The whole thing is out now:

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/1b7rPu376c9APSVH2KKcdk
itunes: https://music.apple.com/us/album/the-little-mermaid-2023-original-motion-picture/1688808328
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard both good and bad stuff tbh, but I rather not comment on the movie yet as I haven't seen it myself and tbh not exactly rushing into cinemas atm.The Hun dub didn't seem any good based on the trailers and not sure if I can find a place where they play the movie in English. It simply doesn't have a big market for that.

Probably just will watch it on Disney+ later on, given that I can only get Bleach TYBW legally there (least till the DVD for each cour doesn't get released) and Doctor Who will be released on that platform too later this year. Geez, it's still a bit weird to think my big 3 favs are under Disney now in a sense.

Glad you guys enjoyed it though at least.
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to see the live-action The Little Mermaid. I will be honest, when I watched the trailers that came out, it didn't really look any different from the other live-action movies Disney is pumping out these days. I haven't been impressed with most of them (the only ones I can think of that I somewhat liked were Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast), but I still want to see this one.

Hopefully I will be able to watch it soon and determine my opinions on it. Very Happy
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it funny a lot of personal reviews are like "Ariel didn't get any cute outfits like Jasmine did in her remake". Yeah, sorry to say Jasmine has the best wardrobe out of all of them so far. She was wearing looks that had less than a minute of screen time, it's kinda of hilarious actually Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always sequels Laughing
Goth Genie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved it, only part I didn't love was the starfish (huge fear)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum