Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Sequel to Live-Action Aladdin (Officially) In Development
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sequel to Live-Action Aladdin (Officially) In Development

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Sequel to Live-Action Aladdin (Officially) In Development Reply with quote

As reported by Variety
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/aladdin-sequel-1203502713

Quote:
With new horizons to pursue, “Aladdin” is getting a sequel.

Following the massive success of last summer’s reboot, Disney is developing a follow-up to the film with writers John Gatins and Andrea Berloff.

Sources say the movie is in early development, but after spending the last six months figuring out what direction to take the next film, producers look to have found their path.

Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich, who produced the original, are back producing through their Rideback banner, with Ryan Halprin executive producing.

It’s unknown at this time whether director Guy Ritchie will return. Producers hope to bring back stars Will Smith, Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott, but offers won’t be extended to the cast until a script is ready.

The film will be a theatrical release, not a Disney Plus title. The original animated movie had two straight-to-video sequels, but sources say this new take is completely original and not based on those ideas.

AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen, if we're really going to have a mini cinematic universe, idc what they do with the second movie since the first ended a little differently for everyone, but the third MUST BE Aladdin finding his father so the internet can all be collectively horny over Cassim for my additional amusement Laughing
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have seen that coming...

If something I learnt from watching Doctor Who S12, is that the enjoyment of watching a sequel or continuation gets heavily hindered if you are not invested in the characters. Sadly this is the case with the new Aladdin for me. I just don't like the new versions of these characters (and I blame the writing here mostly) and I wasn1t too happy with how they handled the story either.

Credit where credit is due, least they don't plan to just remake the sequels, but actually try to get inspiration from the 1001 Tales. Yes, this can mean that we will never get any reference or even a callback to stuff from the TV series and such, but least we can expect something different.

However this also means they need to improve the writing a lot more, as now they can't rely solely on nostalgia to carry them and get the big profit. Maleficent 2 is a good example for that. The first movie made a lot of movie, while the sequel brought in significantly less. Or even the Star Wars sequel triology: last movie had a quite a hard time to even break 1 billion and this was supposed to be the big finale for the whole Star Wars saga.

I won't see this on premier day for sure, unless they actually show they improved a lot. I rather invest my time and money into stuff I actually like . I already started to get Bleach manga volumes and who knows what we will get with the 20th anniversary.

Oh well, hoping for the best!
arisha
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When there were rumours about a sequel floating around I felt pretty indifferent to the idea, but when I saw this official news I got REALLY excited. Return of Jafar is maybe my least favourite installment in the Aladdinverse (although "Forget About Love" gets stuck in my head like all the time lol) so I'm genuinely interested to see an alternate sequel storyline. Can't wait! Hope the main cast returns although I still really wonder what they're going to do about Genie no longer being a genie ...
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arisha wrote:
When there were rumours about a sequel floating around I felt pretty indifferent to the idea, but when I saw this official news I got REALLY excited. Return of Jafar is maybe my least favourite installment in the Aladdinverse (although "Forget About Love" gets stuck in my head like all the time lol) so I'm genuinely interested to see an alternate sequel storyline. Can't wait! Hope the main cast returns although I still really wonder what they're going to do about Genie no longer being a genie ...

They already said it won't be adapting the original sequels, so the live-action sequel should e something totally new. I can see them exploring Shirabad's secrets and such tbh.
Lemonadeon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my guess is also that they're going to go visiting Sherebad to clear up some of the mystery around Jasmine's mother. As for not having a Genie, well, there's still Jafar, even if they don't follow the plot of RoJ... or even, a Genie of the Ring ! And if there's an excuse to recycle Desert Moon, I really hope they find a way to get it into the sequel.

I've gotta admit, I didn't care for the remake, but I also have a feeling that a lot of that had to do with Guy Ritchie as director/screenwriter. My hope is that with a different director and a plot freed from comparisons to the original, everyone will shine.

Quote:
(although "Forget About Love" gets stuck in my head like all the time lol)

You're not alone in that Very Happy
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, the more I think about it, the more I want a live action tv series instead. There's way more flexibility and there's very little Aladdin canon that takes place after Aladdin and Jasmine are married. I was grateful for that for years seeing as how the only story Disney knew how to tell post-marriage with its couples came with a child, but now I'm ready to see what could be done with new stories (especially since they gave that child plot line to Genie and Dalia so I'm clear for a while longer with Aladdin and Jasmine Laughing)
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mena shares an update:
https://thedisinsider.com/2021/09/30/mena-massoud-shares-an-update-on-the-aladdin-sequel/

Quote:
They’re working on it. They’re trying to make it happen. That’s really all I know. As you know, usually actors are the last piece of the puzzle, so the studio has got a lot to worry about before they start thinking about the actors. Obviously, I would hope that all of us come back and Naomi, Will and I all come back and the rest of the cast, Marwan, Navid, Nasim, everybody. But right now, as far as I know, they’re just working on the script and trying to make it happen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum