Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Happy Hour with Alan Menken
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy Hour with Alan Menken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Happy Hour with Alan Menken Reply with quote

On Zoom tonight! RSVP for live music and a Q&A. I'll be there Smile

https://salastina-org.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIvcemhrD4iGtIcuMcHd7c6bz_EKCIlcUJ9
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, anything good happen/get mentioned?
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He answered a bunch of questions and played a handful of tunes, including AWNW and Sheraton Square (we talked about Howard in honor of his birthday last week). It was mostly stuff we already knew, with some new nuggets thrown in. He talked about figuring out a film's musical voice and not being married to being too on-the-nose, especially for Cab Calloway style with Aladdin and gospel with Hercules. He said he struggled to find the voice for Tangled, especially with the love ballad. He talked about a rock ballet that never got recorded, where he met his wife and briefly talked about the films he scored that he didn't write music to.

He had some good advice about character-writing and art. He says he decided to make Rapunzel's opening number upbeat because he believes you shouldn't have a character start out crying for themselves, if you ever want there to be an emotional return later. He said he pictured "When Will My Life Begin" as a Tori Amos (I think?) song and played like 10 seconds of his idea of it on piano and I remember preferring the way he played it Laughing

He said that when you're composing for film, you can't get too attached to what you do and you have to let others tell you what's good or not. When asked what his favorite work is, he said that's like asking what his favorite child is. But he said Hunchback had the most scope and was the grandest, and he shared a special sentiment for TLM.
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hearing he struggled with the music from Tangled makes so much more sense now cause I never found any of it particularly memorable for very long. I remember the score itself, like the music from the kingdom dance and the healing incantation better than any of the lyrics to any given song. But I hear the songs from the series are way better.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty good with lyrics from Tangled, but the songs and score don't work together a whole lot, and the styles aren't super consistent. So it makes sense to me too.

I watched like one episode of the series then forgot about it. I heard good things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum