Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Have you ever met anyone who worked on Aladdin?
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you ever met anyone who worked on Aladdin?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fez_Head
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Have you ever met anyone who worked on Aladdin? Reply with quote

Super random question, but I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has ever met anyone directly who worked on the original animated Aladdin. I saw that there is a comic con this summer where Scott, Linda and Jonathan will all be attending, which made me think about this.

I think Meesh said that she once saw a performance with Alan Menken (so jealous!) and I have met quite a few of the actors from the Broadway show when I went to see it years ago, but what about any of the voice actors/animators/directors/etc.?

If you could meet anyone, who would you want to meet and why? I really want to meet Scott! He seems so sweet and kind of a goofball, plus his voice. It's still adorable, even this many years later.
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Mad. I've met the OG Broadway cast (Adam, Courtney and James), but that's it. Oh, and DeeDee Magno (OG Jasmine from the Disneyland Musical) knows of my existence and I have sent her a vintage Aladdin Christmas card Laughing

I would love to meet them all (especially cause we're at the age where the voice actors from the Renaissance era are slowly passing away and we're already down three from the Aladdin cast Crying or Very sad). With that said, I don't think I'd make it through an interaction without like full on bawling, which is probably why I've never met any of them. Animators, VAs, directors, it doesn't matter - the tears are gonna flow Laughing.

What con is this? Should I maybe start updating the news page with their con appearances?
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Steel City Con in Monroeville, Pennsylvania https://www.steelcitycon.com/

Yeah, I have met Adam, Courtney, James, and a few others from the Broadway show too, but that's so cool that you've met one of the actors from the Disneyland show.

I think I would end up a weeping mess too. When I went to Walt Disney World this past March for March Break (essentially Canadian spring break), I nearly cried when I saw a picture signed by Linda and Scott, so I can only imagine what I would do if I actually met them in real life. I don't want to scare them Laughing

I've never been to a con (I heard about it from a friend of mine who works on Visual Effects for Marvel movies), but it looks like those 3 are all scheduled with a bunch of other actors/actresses across different fandoms.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, Ming-Na was gonna be there, too? This must be one of the bigger cons. I'm guessing they're gonna do an Aladdin/Disney panel?

Most people know her as Pearl from Steven Universe, but I'm like "nah, that's Princess Jasmine. She sang 'To Be Free' on the Aladdin musical spectacular soundtrack. Look it up Cool " Laughing

Wait, was it on sale? Did you get pictures? I wanna see it!

I might hold it together for pictures and then lose my shit afterwards. Can't mess up my makeup in front of my honorary parents who raised me Laughing
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I saw her name and was so sad that she wouldn't be there. I love Mulan too! It's my other favourite Disney movie.

I wish I could have bought it, but it was like $700. Yeah, pretty pricey for a picture, especially when I have to consider the exchange rate between CAD and USD.

It was at the Art of Disney in Disney Springs. I did take a photo of it (how do you upload personal photos onto this forum because I would love to show you!) and made my friend look at all the Aladdin ones with me. I even taught her how to say Scott's last name because she had no idea how to pronounce it Laughing

I am currently trying to figure out if I can manage to do it. I know it's extra money, but I would really want them to sign my Aladdin lithograph. It's so sad that 3 of the main VAs have passed away, so I need to meet them before Scott, Linda, and Jonathan are gone too!
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know she was probably there because she's part of the Marvel family (and just got a star on the hollywood walk of fame!!), but she was Mulan first. Like show some respect Laughing

Wow, they've really gone up in price. I remember a picture signed by Scott and Robin when I first visited there in 2004 that was around $350 if I recall right. Shocked I know there's a gorgeous print of Jasmine there that I want, but I've been too lazy to call and see if they'll send it to me for the rate it's going for in the parks.

Aw, I loved the store! It kept me broke Laughing. (If you have a personal online storage account like Photobucket, Flickr, Google Photos, etc. you can upload them there and we can go look at the photo since I think hot-linking has become harder these days)

Which lithograph? (I'm being so nosy Laughing). I keep waiting for another big Aladdin event with more of the cast and crew, but they didn't do anything for the 30th as far as I know. Might have to find a con near me one day instead.
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense, for sure, but whenever I think of Ming-Na Wen, I immediately think of Mulan. And yes, show her some respect! Laughing

Do you think that the prices are going up as the movie gets older? Just a thought, but it could be a potential reason because it would make sense as the fanbase is getting older. I don't recall seeing anything signed by Robin or Gilbert, but I can imagine those would have been sold at even higher prices, especially Robin's.

Here's a photo I found online of the signed picture, which is from the Prince Ali parade. I am really sorry that it isn't the best quality.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipM3puUdgYzY9kP77BYurByt4nqNMVYRDKTVd6C0=s1360-w1360-h1020

I wonder why they didn't do anything for the 30th anniversary, except release some merchandise. I bought the 30th anniversary Loungefly backpack because I don't have a ton of Aladdin merchandise. I wish I had a collection like you, AG.

I have this lithograph and a Snow White one. I would love to get this signed since this is one of my favourite images from the movie.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, for sure. Inflation, for one, but also, millennials are older now and can buy bits of our childhoods. The 90s are "in" right now with all those promo tees from the decade selling for hundreds to thousands of dollars (an Aladdin shirt famously sold for almost $6,000 a few years ago: https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3ea93/most-expensive-disney-aladdin-shirt-90s-nostalgia), so sellers can charge top dollar.

Oh, you mean this picture on my wall that is most definitely not signed by anyone? Now I don't want it unless it's signed Laughing

I splurged on a few items from ShopDisney Japan, but that was about it. I know they're *still* doing events for BATB's 30th because of covid delays, so maybe we're part of that, too?

Oh gosh, do you? Cause it's honestly to the point where it needs its own room Laughing

Ooh, I have that one! That would be perfect to have them sign!
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Aladdin and Disney in general, but $6000 for a t-shirt?! Shocked

Is no one going to talk about the irony of spending so much money on a movie that focuses on a poor “street rat” character? Laughing

Yup, that’s the one! I only remember old photos of your Aladdin room and usually tell people who think I’m obsessed that I’m nowhere near as dedicated a fan as you. Is your house all Aladdin inspired too or just that room? I’ve been toying with the idea of using Aladdin inspired decor when I get my own place, with added direct connections to the film like my dish towels with Aladdin’s and Jasmine’s faces and my Aladdin painting.

I think it would be perfect too, but I wish I had a lithograph of Jafar if I got Jonathan to sign. Would it be weird if I asked him to sign that one or should I try to find something else Jafar related?
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could buy so much more Aladdin merchandise with $6k. Plus, the shirt isn't *that* cute. But yeah, a vintage Aladdin (or Disney) tee of any kind will get you $200+ easily.

I do think about that sometimes, yes Laughing. I'm feel like a class traitor sometimes.

No, but I've been thinking a lot about that lately because I've seen Disney houses where they have a huge collection all over the home and it looks cluttered, which makes me feel uncomfortable. Sometimes if it's really high-end, "adult" looking merchandise it can look cohesive, but I have a mix of "high end" and "low end" merchandise and it would clash. So even if I do own things like a nice Aladdin shower curtain with matching lamp hooks, for example (which I do Laughing), I would still let my entire collection be its own room and then the rest of the house will have Aladdin-ish elements without having actual Aladdin pieces in there if that makes sense.

However, if I ever get my hands on this again:

it will be the sole piece of merchandise that makes it outside of the Aladdin room as it's going right there in the living room for everyone to see Laughing (I had it years ago but the person who sent it just shoved it in a box with no proper packaging so it broke upon arrival Crying or Very sad).

And okay, I've been considering having this be The Sole Item that makes it to my own bedroom because it's so pretty:

And maaaaaybe my framed picture signed by Robin. But that it's I swear Laughing

It would be weird unless he drew a little menacing Jafar in the background Laughing. Maybe have him sign a postcard with Jafar?

Last edited by AladdinsGenie on Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't believe that someone paid $6000 for an Aladdin shirt. Those are the types of people who have so much money that they don't know what to do with it all.

I have seen some of those Disney houses that you are talking about in videos and I agree, they seem to range from "classier Disney" to straight up "tacky." Don't get me wrong, I love a silly Disney thing here and there, but when a house feels like I am walking through a queue at Magic Kingdom, that is a bit much. But I guess everyone has different preferences. I love Aladdin-esque decor and think I would like to incorporate that into a house, but I would want it to be tasteful.

I would be so livid if I bought something as beautiful as that figurine and it was broken upon arrival. Mad Were you able to get back any of your money for it because of how it arrived to you?

I love that light! It is so gorgeous! And you have a framed picture by Robin Williams!? I am so jealous right now.

Yup, it's official. You are the Cave of Wonders Laughing Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that were me Laughing

Yeeeeeeeeeeah, and like even themed rooms are okay! Like if each room is based off a movie or character or something, but I need breathing room personally.

I was so sad. I was trying to convince myself I could just glue it together because I was NEVER going to get that deal again (It was only $300, which is insane given it was around $1200 at the time), but UPS filed a claim and took the broken pieces with them. I did get the money back, though.

I framed it myself cause I had three Aladdin frames from the Disney Store (I think I have one more hanging around as I gave one away) and never used them so I figured now was a good time Laughing

It's a postcard that says "Warmest Wishes" Very Happy. I was gifted Linda's signature for helping someone purchase a doll years and years ago and that one says "Best Wishes", so I need Scott to sign something and say something about wishes on it to be complete Laughing
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had $6000 at my disposal to just buy whatever I want. I feel like this person has a genie and wished to be a millionaire instead of a prince Laughing

I would be so heartbroken because that IS an incredible deal. I am glad that you at least got your money back, but I can't believe someone would pack something as precious as that in such a careless manner.

I wish I had Robin's signature. Did you buy that from online or were you given that one too like the one from Linda? And yes, you definitely need Scott's signature for sure! I am really hoping that I will be able to go to the comic con (I live about 6 hours away, not including time spent at the Canadian-American border) because I really want to meet Scott, Linda, and Jonathan.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine using all three wishes to wish for a million dollars each time you run out Laughing

Right, I had the same thought. If I recall, Carpet's tassels came off, Genie's hand, and Aladdin still holding Jasmine was broken. All that was left on the base itself was the bottom of his pants and his feet Laughing

I purchased it from an estate sale from someone who used to work at Paramount studios. Since it was written on a Disneyland postcard, no one really wanted it since people tend to prefer photos, posters, lithographs, etc. But I felt like this was literally meant for me Laughing. If I get another Robin signature, I want one of the ones where he signs it "you ain't never had a friend like me". I would melt.

The one from Linda was someone who wrote in asking for an autograph on my behalf (something I didn't know you could do in 2009 and get a quick response). I love it because now she signs things as "Linda Larkin - Princess Jasmine" but mine doesn't have the "Princess Jasmine" part so instead it's "Best Wishes, Linda Larkin".

I have Jonathan's signature but it's more of a scribble since a friend got it for me and he was in a rush Laughing. I'd like to get a nicer one some day.

EDIT: All this talk of autographs had me search on ebay for some and omg:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325660475718

John Rhys-Davis signs his "From Cassim - the King of Thieves". I need his signature for that alone Laughing

Wait, you have to spend time at the border?
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes me think of when I went to watch Aladdin on Broadway and when asked by one of the security guards what I would wish for, I said that I would wish for the exact amount of money I needed to purchase anything I wanted. He seemed impressed Laughing

That’s so wild that no one wanted a Robin Williams autograph, but I guess that works out for you. And that’s so cool that you have so many of them from the VAs, so adding one from Scott is a must.

I love that JRD signed it that way, but damn, where are people getting this kind of money? I swear, genies are just granting wishes all over the place now Laughing

I was saying time at the border more so because there is usually a good amount of people going into the US the way that I normally go, so there’s always a long line. I haven’t done anything illegal…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum