Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - I MET LINDA LARKIN AND JONATHAN FREEMAN!
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I MET LINDA LARKIN AND JONATHAN FREEMAN!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fez_Head
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: I MET LINDA LARKIN AND JONATHAN FREEMAN! Reply with quote

Oh my goodness, I cannot believe that I can actually say that I have met OG Princess Jasmine AND Jafar IN PERSON! Shocked

I met them this past Friday at Steel City Comic Con and it was such a surreal experience. I had actual conversations with them where they complimented my Disney villain shirt and Princess sneakers (Linda said Scott would have loved my beige pants and the purple scrunchie in my hair to represent Aladdin), took photos with them, and got personalized autographs from them. I even got to speak in French with Jonathan, which was so wild!

So many things happened and I don’t think I’ve truly processed it all Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing!!! So happy for you. Hopefully some day the rest of us could be so lucky Smile Would be happy to see pics if you wanted to share but you don't have to!
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, how did you not break down in hysterics? It's what I would have done Laughing

And yeah, pics or it didn't happen Laughing
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Man, how did you not break down in hysterics? It's what I would have done Laughing

And yeah, pics or it didn't happen Laughing

Thank you! To be honest, I have no idea how I stayed relatively calm with them. They were both so kind. Linda noticed that a group of us were just about to meet her when she had to leave for the Aladdin panel, so she told us that we could go right to the front after her photo op sessions to avoid waiting in line again. During my autograph time with her, she wanted to see our photo op picture to make sure it looked ok in case I wanted another one, loved looking through my Aladdin postcard book and even picked one for Scott to sign if I ever meet him. She was also the one to suggest personalizing the autograph and said the way I spell my name (Meghan) is really pretty.

Jonathan was also so amazing to talk to. We talked about the Broadway show, how he tries to stay in contact with Gilbert's family as much as he can, how he appreciated I loved Jafar's laugh, and how Scott had to miss the con because his mother in law passed away. I mentioned I had listened to some Aladdin songs in French because I am a French teacher and he suddenly started speaking in French. It was honestly the coolest thing and after I responded in French, he said I had an adorable Canadian accent Very Happy

Honestly, they were so easy to talk to, it felt like talking to a longtime friend. I tried to upload some photos to my Facebook profile (other social media of mine is quite private, due to my job), so hopefully it will upload here. If not, I can try to find another way to do so, so I welcome any suggestions.

https://www.facebook.com/meghan.vertentes/
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well, don't risk your job cause I'm being nosy! (I don't have a facebook but I see your header and I'm SO happy for you just from that Laughing)

Yo, he speaks French? How did none of us know that after all this time? I feel like that would have come up somewhere Laughing

They sound so lovely, though Crying or Very sad

Did you see the panel? Anything interesting?
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it's not like that at all, I just want to maintain some level of privacy on some social media because students are super nosy to find their teachers, not you! I didn't mean to make it seem like you were at all, I am sorry.

I had no idea he could speak French either, but it was super cool. I know Scott can because I found out after I graduated university that Scott and I almost did the same degrees (English literature and French studies), but Jonathan was new to me. He was also super sweet when I mentioned the autograph was a long time coming since I wasn't able to meet him after the musical 7 years ago. He was so apologetic and hoped that our meeting now made up for it.

And they were both so lovely, for sure. During the panel, they had to be aware of not talking about their time working on Aladdin due to the current strikes, so a lot of questions were about acting in general and their personal lives. Jonathan used to do puppeteering as a kid and they both are passionate about different causes. Linda said that she volunteers to help socialize guide dog puppies and she brought one to a recording session with her, whereas Jonathan is really interested in learning more about Autism Spectrum Disorder after working with the family on the documentary "Life, Animated." I really want to watch that documentary at some point because it sounds really interesting.

Oh, and I met this one lady who designed her own Aladdin jean jacket, which Linda adored. It was such a cool jacket and she said that she is going to make one for me because I am an Aladdin fan like her. Super cool!
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, I get it! I just didn't want to seem like I was pressuring you to post pictures when you have your reasons for not doing so.

Yeah, when I went to see the broadway musical I also didn't get to see him Crying or Very sad Someday! I wonder why both of them picked French, though...

Aw, she has a service dog? (Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the type of dog she helps trains) And there's a clip on the board somewhere where the guy I think the documentary is mostly about got to meet him and Gilbert.

More family members found, yay!! Laughing I genuinely love meeting other Aladdin fans in person because we're all so quietly passionate about this franchise.
Fez_Head

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was no pressure at all, I am glad that you liked my photo, though Very Happy

I think I remember hearing in a podcast once that Scott learned French after going to Paris with a past girlfriend, but no idea about Jonathan's reason. As someone who has been learning French since she was 9 years old, I do find it interesting that they both studied the same language. Definitely going to use that whenever the kiddos ask why they have to learn French at school.

"But Madame, why do we need to learn French? "
"Look child, Aladdin and Jafar speak French, so we must speak French!" Laughing

Linda said her and her husband train the puppies by exposing them to different social settings, like taking them on the train, playing music for them, and even bringing them to recording sessions. She joked during the panel that during one recording session, she was recording her lines while the "diamond in the rough" was playing with the puppy.

And yeah, this lady would be an amazing addition to the Aladdin Central community. I wish I could upload the quick photo my friend took of the jacket, but it was this image for reference https://giphy.com/gifs/love-disney-jasmine-v42gdWNg4njNe I love that moment in the movie and it looked professionally done. I really hope that it works out and I can get one.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what a great picture!! A day to remember Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum