Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - DVD review - LA City Beat
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVD review - LA City Beat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: DVD review - LA City Beat Reply with quote

http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=1279&IssueNum=69

First of all, kudos to them for having the courage to say that TLK was formulaic and risking the ire of certain of its rabid fans. Laughing

So, now we know who's going to be on the audio commentaries for certain. I'm glad to see Will Finn on the list. I'll bet anything he annoys the rest of the animators with his Gilbert Gottfried impression. Twisted Evil

It's pretty sad that no one can mention Aladdin without bringing up current events. It's a fairy tale, people, it has as much to do with the real Arabia -- past or present -- as Sleeping Beauty had to do with the real Europe. Although the who-the-characters-would-vote-for question is interesting on its own merits....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: DVD review - LA City Beat Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:

It's pretty sad that no one can mention Aladdin without bringing up current events. It's a fairy tale, people, it has as much to do with the real Arabia -- past or present -- as Sleeping Beauty had to do with the real Europe.

Which is why I was inspired to write my editorial for English on the supposed insults to Arabs that the movie presented.
Calluna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could find a list of all the complaints I would *so* write an essay about that. Just for fun, which shows how much of a geek I am. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you have no idea. I started typing my paper and it ened up being about 5 pages. It's only supposed to be 2. I narrowed it down to about 2 and a third. I had to take out my gripes about how Jasmine, Jafar and Rasoul were seen and just kept Aladdin and Farooq because you know how the "American looking" Arab characters was shown as good and the more "Arab looking" characters were shown as evil Rolling Eyes
It's amazing how this: The film’s light-skinned lead characters, Aladdin and Jasmine, have Anglicized features and Anglo-American accents. This is in contract to the other characters who are dark-skinned, swarthy and villainous-cruel palace guards or greedy merchants with Arabic accents and grotesque facial features.
sparked a whole paper.
Calluna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to dig out some screenshots, but off the top of my head, Rasoul is about the same skin tone as Al and Jas, Fazal is darker, and Hakim is lighter. The rest of the guards are about the same as Al, Jas, and Rasoul.

As for the facial features, I don't see how Disney could *win* with these guys. Make them too normal looking and they're "too American". Make them too cartoony, and they're "grotesque" stereotypes. Repeat after me: Al and Jas are the good guys, therefore they are drawn more realisticly. Farouk is a minor character and a villain, therefore he is drawn in an exaggerated style. Seen the English in Pocahontas? Some pretty grotesquese faces in that bunch, for the same reasons.

As far as the accents, I don't see where they're getting that. The only characters with Arabic-ish accents are minor characters, and the only "evil" one is Farouk. Jafar's is British. Iago's is New York. Rasoul sounds Midwestern to me; he could be my next-door neighbor!

Farouk -- I should write an essay just on him; I'd have a lot to say. Long story short: anyone who's seen the TV series knows that he's not representative of Agrabanians, he's just a greedy and takes the law into his own hands (pun intended). I need to make an icon of him: stop being in my fandom, you're making it look bad!
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was a solid review, right to the point where he started relating it to politics and then it's just a waste of reading. If he wants to drag the current political situation into a movie made 12 years ago like that, well, he's lost my respect for his writing.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:

Farouk -- I should write an essay just on him; I'd have a lot to say. Long story short: anyone who's seen the TV series knows that he's not representative of Agrabanians, he's just a greedy and takes the law into his own hands (pun intended).

And that's basically what I said in my paper. He is just a disgruntle merchant. He is no different from your average worker that really does not like their job, but has to do it because that is their means of living-Not because he is a merchant being stereotyped as villainous because he is Arab and looks like it.

That skin issue was the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Are the critics trying to say that all Arabs have to be dark skinned to be politically correct? I smell a stereotype!
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A late response to the topic I've been meaning to respond to.

I was also going to write my paper on this very same topic. Of course, my teacher said I couldn't because no one cares about it. I like my teacher less now. Anyway...

I don't know if it's just my paranoia speaking, but I do fear that there could be some more controversy coming from the DVD release. I really hope not, considering the arguments are well, stupid, but with the culture the way it is now (so eager to jump over anything that may slightly disagree with personal thought), I'm dreading.

I think people just need to learn how to seperate stereotype from characterization. I don't get the Farouk arguement. I mean, the protestors or whatever claim he painted the Arabs as vile, sneaky, and what not. But Aladdin/Jasmine were Arab characters, both good, noble, and kind to those around them. Sultan was a loveable guy in comparsion to Jafar's evil. But then they complain that Aladdin/Jasmine/Sultan aren't Arab looking enough? I mean, come on. That's just looking for an excuse to bitch.

I'm still, after all this time, upset that they changed the Arabian Nights line. The original line sounded better and flowed better. To go back to the Pocahontas thing Heather mentioned, I'm not going to boycott the film because it has a line that says "Pale face is a demon", which might be strewn as a stereotype. But boy, did "Dirty redskin devils" get protested. *Bangs head against the wall*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum