Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - And coming up next from Disney...
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

And coming up next from Disney...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
HAH! See?! I KNEW these cartoon chicks with ultra-modern attitudes were a BAD idea! I was right! I was right I was right I was right!

I personally thought Mulan was done pretty well. She was a little scatterbrained sometimes (writing notes on her arm... *snicker*) and a little more "modern," but she was willing to put her life on the line to save her father's. That's what really endeared her to me.

Yeah, I guess Disney wants to keep instilling the idealism that girls should "Be quiet, gorgeous, WHITE, and a willing slave."

Mulan was a more modern girl, but that's understood. She was also really funny at times... and not nearly as confident or intellectual as the other princesses.

MEESH AND MYSTICMEG'S COMBINED STORY!!!

Just another weird lil' fanfiction obsession of mine...
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a balanced character, personally. Someone with spunk, but not so over-the-top that she has to be a feminist at every turn. I think Belle is probably an excellent example of what I have in mind. She was an individual who didn't let people walk on her, but she wasn't a total rebel, and didn't have to constantly show people how kewl she was or how her ideals were superior.

And yes, I agree that while the ultra-spunky princess was fun for awhile, it's getting pretty old now. *coughMary-SueTraitcough*

As for the "white" part, that's a problem with story's settings, not the characters themselves.

If Rapunzel is going to be a comic character, then I say GO FOR IT!! GO FOR IT! We need something fresh and new! And a comic princess is something that hasn't been done yet!

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
I like a balanced character, personally. Someone with spunk, but not so over-the-top that she has to be a feminist at every turn. I think Belle is probably an excellent example of what I have in mind. She was an individual who didn't let people walk on her, but she wasn't a total rebel, and didn't have to constantly show people how kewl she was or how her ideals were superior.

And yes, I agree that while the ultra-spunky princess was fun for awhile, it's getting pretty old now. *coughMary-SueTraitcough*

As for the "white" part, that's a problem with story's settings, not the characters themselves.

If Rapunzel is going to be a comic character, then I say GO FOR IT!! GO FOR IT! We need something fresh and new! And a comic princess is something that hasn't been done yet!

Actually, the whole "white" issue is more on the fact of the times. We're still in a time where we see white women as the "ideal old-fashioned" woman.

Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and Cinderella were all in imaginary kingdoms... they could have been any race.

Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Imaginary kingdoms" or no, the stories were fairly much of European origin.

And even though "Cinderella" is a multiculteral phenominon of a story, Disney's Cinderella was closest to Charles Perrault's Cinderella, which was probably the most well-known at the time. Probably whatwithall Perrault being French, Disney chose to set their Cinderella movie either in France or a mirror-image of France.

And Snow White couldn't have been "any race." She was definitely white. White white white. White as the snow. All the stories say so. Razz

AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because Belle acted like her ideas were superior all the time. She's a little snob Laughing. I'm sorry, but everyone acts as if Belle is this heroine Goddess because she reads and wasn't out to get married, but she really isn't at all. None of them are to be honest. I can't think of a perfect heroine and God forbid if I do. I prefer it this way. Although I do think Mulan was really balanced, which is why she is my favorite heroine outside the "princess" title".There was a lot more realism with her than I've seen in anyone else in a long time. Jane as well.

I have no problem with the chicks with attitudes, but...do all of them have to be that way? Haven't we progressed past that enough to have a different type of heroine to use? Laughing

Sometimes I wonder just how much ethnicity plays into all that, but I hate bringing race into matters so I don't. It's really easy to play on that "ethnic attitude" stereotype, but I really do think it's a coicidence they are like that being that with the presence of Megara. Her and Esmeralda can totally kick back and be seen downing a few beers talking about life Laughing

Yes, that's how I heard her approach was going to be and it isn't being receptive by a lot of the Disney princess fans at all. The closest I'd say we have to that type of character is Jane, but she was loopy Laughing. I am completely for it because I'd love to see how that is going to be played. Having the woman be the comic relief and she isn't some old lady who sits around and cracks witty comics or smart ass remarks? This I HAVE to see. Laughing
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Belle was snobbish (I didn't think she was *that* snobbish... she just had no interest in marrying a jerky oaf), then quite frankly, it worked out well because Beast was even more snobbish and bratty, LOL.

Beast's brattiness cracks me up. Very Happy

Quote:
I have no problem with the chicks with attitudes, but...do all of them have to be that way? Haven't we progressed past that enough to have a different type of heroine to use?

You'd think. It does get old in a hurry, doesn't it? And frankly, I'm getting tired of seeing Princess-Sue do her little rebellious thing.

AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were both just as arrogant as the other was Laughing

I mean, that rebel thing has been going on since about Belle, but definitely Ariel and hasn't stopped. Well...it sorta stopped with Jane. I love rebels, I'm a little rebel myself, but I just want something new. A 2-D animated movie (maybe even musical) with a female lead that's funny is a dream, and this is as close as I am getting to it. Laughing
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm rather dubious about the 3D animation myself, it could work. We'll just have to see, eh? Smile

Husse
Genie of da Pibb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that Kida should be included in anything. And Nala? It's a LION. Rolling Eyes And not a princess lion either.

But, yeah, I don't see the racial problem with disney. Color shouldn't matter, and I can't imagine a black person shoved into Sleeping Beauty, can you? Not the setting is all.

NO YOU CAN'T!

YES I CAAAAAAAAAAAN!

IRideAladdin'sCarpet
Genie of the Vegetarian Chicken Nuggets

Location: Below the Paris Opera House with Gerik #2 ~_^ (Louis Phillippe Room)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

husse: i freaking love ur avatar!!!
as for the subject on which i'm *supposed* to be conversing about...
i need to get into the biz. just the other day, my mom randomly mentioned it'd be fun to do the voice of an animated character.
"uh, mom, that's only what i've been wishing to do like, my whole life! haven't you heard *any* of my ramblings about doing that?!"
mom:"after constantly hearing about aladdin, i've learned to ignore most of the ramblings"
me:"thanks, mom" <sarcasm
Laughing
Husse
Genie of da Pibb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd love to do anime. Some of the wackiest characters ever concieved reside there, and I do great little kids. Unfortunately, everyone in that business is WAAAAY more talented than I could ever be, and in anime, you have to live by the flap as well. Confused

NO YOU CAN'T!

YES I CAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Husse wrote:
Yeah, I'd love to do anime. Some of the wackiest characters ever concieved reside there, and I do great little kids. Unfortunately, everyone in that business is WAAAAY more talented than I could ever be, and in anime, you have to live by the flap as well. Confused

I could start by doing minor minor characters and move on up.

What do you mean "live by the flap"?

Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to fit what you're saying into the mouth movements - AKA flaps - of the anime characters.

Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
You have to fit what you're saying into the mouth movements - AKA flaps - of the anime characters.

Oh, true. Alot of them are still in the Japanese mouth mode...

That's why sometimes when they are dubbed in english, the english voice actors have to elaborate of what they say...

Like instead of "I fight for love"

It would be "I fight for love because it is the only force that can keep us all together!"

Or vice versa.

Husse
Genie of da Pibb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, a lot of "okays" and "rights" and hehehehehehs, to fit the long Jap flap. Laughing

NO YOU CAN'T!

YES I CAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum