Genies and Jinxes by PirateWizardThief



Summary: Two years after finding eight year old Alaric on the street and taking him in, the two streetrats become almost like brothers. And one day they are tossed into a world of royalty, genies, wishes, and evil plots. Can Al and Rick overcome these strange new things or will they get into something they can't get out of? And will Alaric's jinxed life make things worse?
Rating: G
Categories: Aladdin
Characters: Original Characters
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 02/28/14
Updated: 09/02/14


Index

Chapter 1: Finding Friends
Chapter 2: Chapter 2
Chapter 3: Chapter 3
Chapter 4: Chapter 4


Chapter 1: Finding Friends

Chapter 1:Finding Friends

"…One…two…three…" A boy murmured from the side of the fruit stand. His ocean blue eyes watched as the fruit vendor walked towards the middle of the street, where he had planted a gold coin. As soon as his back was to the stand the boy with a brown vest and white pants, reached a hand into the pile of fruit and grabbed an apple. But as his hand grabbed it, another grabbed his hand. Alaric peered over the side of the stall and saw a furry little monkey attached to his hand.

"Let go!" he hissed angrily at the small primate. The monkey chattered angrily back and tugged on the apple. "No, way get your own!" Alaric tugged back and then a tug-of-war game started. Both continued to pull until a shadow appeared above them.

"Get your hands off that apple you little thieves!" the boy and monkey looked up to see an angry vendor holding a sword above them. Both shrieked as the sword came down and the monkey gave a final tug on the apple and got out of the boy's grip. The boy quickly moved his hand as the sword came down causing the sword got stuck in the wood of the stall and Alaric took off after the monkey.

"Come back here monkey!" the boy yelled, and then he heard a crash and looking behind him saw as the vendor finally freed his sword causing splintered wood to fly everywhere.

"Come back here thieves!"The vendor took off after them and the boy sped up trying to catch the monkey. The monkey took off down an alley and Alaric followed him. The boy sprinted around the corner and ran smack into something and he fell backwards onto his bottom.

He looked up to see an older boy wearing beige colored pants, a purple vest, and a red fez. The little monkey chattered at him from the older boy's shoulder.

"Hey, did you take that apple from Abu?" the older boy said frowning at Alaric.

Alaric glared back and ran a hand through his tousled light brown hair. "No! That monkey of yours took it from me! My hands were on it first!" the older boy seemed to consider this a moment.

"Abu." The boy said accusingly at the small monkey on his shoulder. "Did you take this from him?" he held up the apple and the little monkey attempted to grab it. "Abu!" the boy said more sternly. "Well?" the monkey seemed to know the jig was up for he nodded and pouted as the older boy tossed Alaric the apple.

"Here, it's yours fair and square. Sorry about Abu." Alaric nodded.

"Eh, its ok he was probably just hungry like I was." The monkey pouted some more and the boy laughed.

"Here, then if it means so much to you." He held the apple out to the tiny monkey and he grabbed it greedily. Then he looked up from eating and chattered at him.

"Abu thanks you." The older boy grinned. "But you didn't have to do that."

Alaric waved him off. "He's welcome and it's no big deal. I can always get another."

"Well, if you're sure. Thanks again." Alaric nodded and the older boy and the little monkey disappeared. Alaric stayed in the alley a little longer and was about to leave when suddenly he felt the back of his vest grabbed.

"Got ya! Captain over here!" the vendor called. Alaric tried to get away when the guards showed up.

"So, we meet again little rat!" the captain smiled evilly revealing a few missing teeth. Grabbing his vest the burly man lifted Alaric off his feet.

"Let me go! Put me down you big gorilla!" Alaric yelled, kicking his feet out.

"Shut up!" the burly man snarled and gave him a shake. Suddenly a furry blur flew past the boy's head and slammed onto the top of the captain's turban. Abu grinned at Alaric and pulled the guards turban over his eyes. The guard dropped him and the boy felt something grip his arm. Alaric looked up to see the boy from earlier wink at him and then he pulled him along. They ran through streets, allies, past crumbling buildings and finally to an old abandoned building.

After catching they caught their breaths Alaric said, "Thanks." The little monkey soon appeared. "Both of you." He added with a wide grin.

"Hey, it was no big deal." The older boy shrugged and Alaric smirked as he recognized his words.

"Well, guess I better be going." He said and started to walk away. But the older boy stopped in his way.

"Where are you going?"

"Home or uh, whatever you wanna call it." The boy shrugged and the older one frowned.

"What do you mean? You don't really have a home do you?" Alaric sighed, the thing he hated most was discussing his past and he didn't like to talk about it.

"No. But I'm ok. Really." He added at the disbelieving boy's gaze.

"No you're not. Not if you're all alone. Let me help you."

"Why? Why would you spend your time on me?" the smaller boy asked confusedly and a little suspicious.

"Because it's the right thing to do." The older boy stated simply. "Do you have any parents?" Oh why did he have to ask that question? Alaric didn't like thinking of his mother.

"No. I uh never knew my father." He said quickly and tried to walk away, but the older boy stood right in front of him.

"And your mother?" Alaric looked at the ground. "Oh…I'm sorry." Alaric shook his head. "No? What is it? You can tell me, honest you can trust me." Alaric looked into the older boy's gaze and then decided to come clean.

"She left me." Alaric said quietly. The older boy winced.

"Look I'm sorry about your mom. If it's any consolation to you my mother died when I was younger and I never knew my dad either."

"Yeah? Well at least your mother wanted you. Mine left me in the middle of the street and never looked back." The older boy flinched. "She didn't want me."

The older boy frowned, "Why not?"

Alaric sighed and looked at the ground. "Because I'm a jinx." Suddenly laughter filled the air and Alaric's head shot up and stared at the boy in front of him.

"A jinx? Really? I don't believe in jinxes!" after he saw that the boy wasn't kidding he frowned again. "Who told you, you were?"

"The people from the town I ran away from. They blamed me for everything. So you won't want me either. I might give you bad luck." Alaric said mockingly.

"Of, course you wouldn't. You seem like a pretty good kid to me. Why don't you come live with us?" as he said and the little monkey leapt onto Alaric's shoulder and chattered in his ear something that sounded like 'oh please!' Alaric smiled a little unsurely.

"Um, really?"

"Of course. Now c'mon lets go home." The older boy walked away.

"Home, that sounds good." Alaric said and after pausing a moment he ran to keep up.

"So, what's your name?"

"Alaric."

"Well, Alaric, I'm Aladdin and this is Abu." The monkey hugged Alaric with his tail.

"Nice to meet you, Aladdin." The monkey grumbled. "And you too Abu."

After awhile Aladdin said, "You know, you don't look like a jinx to me." And the little boy grinned.

Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2

Chapter 2: One Jump Ahead of Danger
Alaric's POV

It's been two years since Aladdin and Abu had rescued me from the guards. At first I was untrusting of him; my bad experiences made me more defensive about whom I trusted. But the more time we spent together the more I started to trust him and forgot my past. We soon became fast friends. Al pulled me out of my shell that I had built around myself and now it was like I never had one.

Since I already knew how to ducking the guards, Al just taught me a few things that I didn't know and pretty soon I was as good as he was. Abu was like the toddler of our little group always wandering off and getting into trouble. But Al and I didn't mind bailing him out as long as he promised to behave; of course it was Abu so he never stayed out of trouble very long.

"Thieves! Guards!" the bread vendor shrieked as Al took off from his stand. Not wanting to be left I followed him. We got to some crates and started up them. Not far behind the palace guards followed. We got to the top and started running across the rooftop trying to outrun the guards shouting and barreling their way towards us. We reached the side and skidded to a stop, me slamming into Al. The loaf went up into the air and Al struggled to catch it, after glaring at me briefly.

"Oops?" I said sheepishly as he rolled his eyes and turned back around.

"Stop thieves! I'll have your hands for trophies, street rats!" Rasoul shouted after us. Al looked back at him, then down at the bread, then at me.

"All this for a loaf of bread?" He asked and I shrugged. Then he jumped off the building.

"Oh, great." I muttered and leapt after him, just as the guards came upon me. I fell a short distance before catching a clothesline and sliding down it behind Al. He collected pieces of people's hanging clothing on him as we went down the line.

As we reached the end of the line, some woman reached out slammed the shutters closed on us with an angry scowl, as if we offended her. Al slammed into the shutters and me into him and one by one we fell bouncing off the many bouncy awnings. Al landed on the pile of clothes that he had collected and neither of us was too hurt. Not to mention I had an extra cushion to break my fall.

Al growled when I landed on him and I laughed sheepishly shrugging my shoulders. "Uh…Oops again?" He rolled his eyes and reached out and caught our bread. Then he shoved me off him.

"There they are!" One guard shouted.

"You won't get away so easily!" Another shouted indignantly. Al and I looked at each other with smirks.

"You think that was easy?" Al asked me.

"No way!" I shook my head grinning. We heard laughter then and looked over at the three women who were laughing at us. Al wrapped himself in a sheet and tossed one over my head, and then we ran over to the women disguised as girls.

"Getting into trouble a little early today, aren't we Aladdin, Alaric?" One of the women asked us, smiling secretly. Al and I grinned.

"Trouble?" Al said feigning innocence.

"No way." I scoffed with a wave of my hand.

"You're only in trouble if you get caught!" Al smirked as he said this. A hand then grabbed his shoulder and yanked him back, his disguise falling off in the process.

"Gotcha!" The guard said. It was that big gorilla, Rasoul, the captain of the guards.

"We're in trouble!" I said as the guard continued.

"And this time-" He was cut off mid-rant as Abu pulled his turban down over his eyes. Much like he had done the first time we met.

"Perfect timing, Abu as usual!" Al said, laughing at the monkey.

"Thanks, Abu!" I said giving the primate a nod. He grinned at me and chattered 'Your welcome!' as he leapt onto my shoulder.

"Come on, let's get outta here!" Al said, turning and bumping into a guard. He then started singing.

Gotta keep...

One jump ahead of the breadline

One swing ahead of the sword

He said this while dodging the guard's sword. After a couple of swings, I jerked the guard's sash away, dropping his pants. As I was laughing Al grabbed me and took off.

We steal only what we can't afford

And that's everything!

I added loudly after him. Al rolled his eyes playfully at me and I grinned impishly back as we ran away from the guard who had pulled a fish up his around his waist instead of his pants. We scampered up a pile of barrels, dodging as another guard swung at us.

One jump ahead of the lawmen

That's all, and that's no joke

These guys don't appreciate we're broke!

He said as I kicked down a barrel onto the guard that was following us. Al gave me an approving nod and I smirked back. The guards on the ground started sing/yelling at us.

Riffraff!

Street rats!

Scoundrels!

Take that!

The guards said as they threw weapons and anything they could get their hands on at us. We flew up to the top of a platform. Al was on the edge of the platform singing as I eyed the guards below us.

Just a little snack, guys!

Yeah, were hungry!

The next second he ducked and I grabbed Abu as a whole group of dangerously sharp weapons flew and stuck into the pole behind me. The guards grabbed on to the bottom then and tried to shake us off as we clung for dear life. Al grabbed me and pulled me to the edge.

Rip them open, take it back guys!

Al sang as we fell off the platform. We went flying through the air, with me gripping his waist. And Al grabbed Abu and like he had practiced it, slung us through a window into someone's house.

I can take a hint, gotta face the facts

You're my only friend, Abu!

What? Hey!

I said angrily. He grinned sheepishly at me as I narrowed my eyes. Then we heard singing and turned to see three beautiful harem girls dancing about the room.

Who?

Oh, it's sad, Aladdin and Alaric have hit the bottom

They've become a two-man rise in crime.

I grinned as Al was wrapped in a scarf and swirled into a large woman and then laughed as I spotted Abu stuffing his face in the corner. The harem girls giggled at me and I waved embarrassedly back at them.

I'd blame parents except they haven't got 'em

The large woman sang as she attempted to swat Al with her broom. I stuck my tongue out at her and then Al ran through the girls over to the window dragging me behind him.

Gotta eat to live

Gotta steal to eat

Al sang as we sat down in the windowsill. One of the girls pushed us out of the window.

Tell you all about when we have the time!

I sang as we fell down to the street, bouncing off a giant awning. Al rolled his eyes at me. "What?" I said and he just shook his head and got up behind a muscle man and matched his moves while I pretended to be among the crowd.

One jump ahead of the slowpokes

One skip ahead of our doom

Next time gonna use a nom de plume.

He suddenly made a mistake and the guards spotted him. I sniggered as he kept his form anyway and ran as Abu ran with the bread held by his tail. I walked behind him, trying not to attract their attention. I thought I was going to be unseen when…

"There they are!" Well, that worked I thought rolling my eyes. I broke out in a speedy run behind Al. We jumped on top of a flock of sheep, walking lightly across their backs as the guards waded slowly through behind us tossing sheep left and right like they were dolls.

One jump ahead of the hitmen

One hit ahead of the flock

I think I'll take a stroll around the block

Al sang as we hurdled over a man sleeping on a bed of nails. The largest guard behind us landed on the poor guy. I winced at the guy and we kept running. Looking around I then realized that one of our party was missing, and found him covered in jewels on a stall. The merchant grabbed the jewelry upon the small primate.

Stop Thief!

Vandal!

Al ran up to him and pulled Abu away. The pearl necklace snapped as he gave the monkey a jerk.

Abu!

Scandal!

A lady behind the stall covered with a cloth shouted at us. I stuck my tongue out and I stood by Al as the guards surrounded us.

Let's not be too hasty

Al sang shielding me as we backed into a wall. The door suddenly opened up behind us as a large, ugly woman scooped Al up. I snickered at the look of horror upon his face.

Still I think he's rather tasty

Al tumbled away from her and leaned on one of the guards like they were old friends. I inched away from the woman before she spotted me.

Gotta eat to live

Gotta steal to eat

Otherwise we'd get along

Wrong!

Al and the guards sang as they tackled us. Al dragged me underneath them as they grabbed at us. I wanted to stay and get a few punches in but Al pulled me and we hid under some large pots and we started to tiptoe away. By the time the guards had figured out that they were fighting among themselves, we were almost home.

"Over there!" One shouted, and we threw off the pots. Al jumped on the back of a coal walker and I followed with ease. The moronic guards thought they were being smart as they ran across themselves. But they were soon yelping and hopping about as their shoes heated up from the hot coals. We ran past a sword swallower, and Abu yanked his sword out of the swallowers throat. Abu advanced on the guards, who cowered back in fear. I stopped running to watch with interest.

"He's got a sword!" One yelled, terrified. I snickered.

"You idiots, we've all got swords!" Rasoul said, pulling his out to show them.

"Oh yeah!" The other guards followed suit with grins of realization. Abu grimaced and set his sword down slowly, then I grabbed him and we made a run for it. We then quickly climbed up on a floating rope in the street provided by a friendly snake charmer and the guards crashed into each other below us.

We were again surrounded by guards once we landed on the ground, and Abu ran up the stairs leading up the side of a building. I followed quickly him with Al further behind us.

One jump ahead of the hoof beats!

Vandals!

One hop ahead of the hump!

Street Rats!

One trick ahead of disaster!

Scoundrels!

Their quick-but I'm much faster!

Take that!

Guards suddenly appeared in front of Abu and I. We shrieked and Al pulled us out-of-the-way just as they swung their swords at us. He pulled up a carpet lying around, and pulled me onto his back. Not again.

Here goes, better throw my hand in

Wish me happy landin'

All I gotta do is jump!

He said, jumping out the window. The carpet popped open in the air so that our decent was slowed. I looked behind us at the guards who had stupidly followed us and they fell into 'Crazy Hakim's Discount Fertilizer.' I laughed loudly at them, imaging the way they would smell for a while.

We landed in a back alley and Al and Abu smacked hands. As we settled against a wall, Al then broke the bread into three pieces and grinned at me and Abu.

"And now, esteemed effendis, we feast!"he handed out the pieces and I took my eagerly as did Abu.

"Alright!" I said as Al placed the bread into my hands.

Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Snooty Princes and Being Worthless

We were about to take a bite, when I noticed that something had Al's attention. I looked over to where he was gazing and saw three little kids digging in the trash ahead of us. They caught us looking and the oldest girl dropped what she was holding and they tried to hide. Al and I looked at each other and nodded. Then our gazes fell upon Abu, who haughtily took a bite out of his bread. Al sighed and stood and I rolled my eyes at Abu and stood up too.

We took our bread and handed it over to the children. Al handed his to the oldest girl.

"Here, go on-take it." He said reassuringly to the girl. She hesitated a moment then smiled and took the bread. I held out mine to the little girl in front of me. She looked slightly frightened.

"It's ok. You can have it." I said gently and she took it carefully.

"My mommy is in heaven. Do you think she is an angel?" she whispered to me. I smiled at her.

"Of course, I'll bet she's watching over you now." I said sincerely. The little girl hugged me then and I felt tears well up in my eyes. "Do you really think so?" I pulled back then slightly embarrassed then I recovered.

"Yes, I do." She grinned and then I rubbed her head. She giggled as I stood. Al walked past me and I followed him and looked over my shoulder at Abu who I saw had finally gotten up. I watched as he gave the little boy his bread and then the little boy rubbed his head. Abu swatted the hand away playfully saying, 'aw don't' he finally noticed we were gone and I turned back around as he jumped onto my shoulder.

Being slightly shorter than everyone else, I crawled down through the people's legs until I could see. I watched as a fancy clothed man rode by on a white horse. I then went back to Al and we listened to a conversation in front of us.

"On the way to the palace I suppose." The first man said.

"Another suitor for the princess." His companion agreed. Al and I just exchanged a look. That was the third this week! Then I suddenly noticed the three little kids from earlier running right out into the middle of the street.

"Al!" I shouted and not waiting to see if he heard me dived into the throng of people hoping to get there in time. I saw them in front of the prince's horse holding on to each other. The horse reared up and I ran and stood in front of the kids.

"Out of my way you filthy brats!" the prince raised a whip, his expression a snooty one.

"Go." I whispered at the children and they ran off to safety. I glared at him, with my arms rose in defense and braced myself and just as he was about to hit me with the whip, Al grabbed it. I opened my eyes then and watched him toss it back into the prince's face.

"Hey, if I were as rich as you, I could afford some manners!" Al shouted and I stuck my tongue out at the stuck up prince.

"I'll teach you some manners!" the prince snarled and then he kicked us into the mud, riding towards the palace gates. I landed next to him and he looked over at me a sly look in his eye.

"Look, Abu, Alaric, it's not every day you see a horse with two rear ends!" I roared with laughter and the prince whirled around in his seat.

"You are worthless street rats! You were born a street rat and you will die a street rat and only your fleas will mourn you!" he hissed and then Al attempted to go after him, but the palace gates slammed shut in his face. The slam echoed in my head and I looked down at my lap, the prince's harsh words circling in my head. You are a worthless street rat! All I could think about was the village I had come from.

PWT

"Get out, you freak!" the man shouted throwing a stone at the seven-year-old. The boy ducked and whimpered as he ran from the store. "And don't come back you, jinx! I don't need your back luck in my store!"

The boy ran and ran until he found a place to hide. But it soon wasn't good enough.

"There he is! Get him!"Alaric screamed as people from everywhere came to throw things at him. He got up and ran again, pelted by words and objects.

"Stupid!"

"Jinx!"

"Freak!"

"Get out of here!"

PWT

"We are not worthless and we don't have fleas!" I heard Al say snapping me out of my thoughts, but not my mood. I looked up to see him scratching his head and then frown at his hand when he realized what he had done. He looked at me then and I hid the hurt feelings from him. I gave him a shaky smile instead and he sighed.

"C'mon, Alaric, Abu, let's go home." The monkey ran and sat on Al's shoulder and I walked glumly behind him still feeling the sting of those long forgotten words. As we walked home I heard Al start to sing softly.

"Riff raff…

Street rat…

I don't buy that. If only they'd look closer."

After that one verse, Aladdin seemed to stop. I just stayed quiet for a time. When we got home, he started again.

"Would they see a poor boy?

No sir-ee."

Abu hopped up onto his bed and slid off his hat. I went to sit on my bed and lay down on my side, watching as Aladdin tucked him in and leaned out our window, looking at the beauty of the palace.

"They'd find out...

There's so much more...

to me."

He sighed and then turned to look at me. "Someday, Abu, Alaric, we'll be rich live in a palace and never have any problems at all." I then decided to just forget the feelings and ignore them.

"Sure, sure Al." I said and I must have had a look of disbelief on my face, because he suddenly looked at me funny.

He frowned. "No, really. I promise to not let anybody hut you again." I blinked back tears then and Al came over to me. I turned away so he wouldn't see.

"Rick? What is it?" I shook my head and Al made me look at him. He saw the look on my face and he grew concerned. "What's wrong?"

"I-I..." He seemed to know what I was thinking, he always did.

"Don't mind what that stuck-up prince thought. You're not worthless." He hugged me to him then. "I mean it. I don't want you to think things like that anymore. You're not a jinx, okay?" I nodded and he tucked me back into bed. I tried to stay awake as sleep started to sink in. He brushed my hair back from my forehead.

"Now get some sleep." I suddenly felt very tired and yawned. "And don't worry Alaric, I'll see to it that you'll never have to live like street rat ever again and you'll always be taken care of."

"Sounds incredibly boring." I slurred sleepily. I soon started to drift off and the last thing I heard was:

"You'll see."

That night I had a nightmare. I was walking with Al in the marketplace when one of the villagers showed up. He stabbed Al and laughing, the man left. I ran over to Al and flipped him over.

"Aladdin!" I shook him and then his eyes flew open.

"It's your fault! You never should've come here." Al said, but the voice was someone else's it was the man who often haunted my nightmares. It was the man from the village that I had run away from, Hakim, the one who gave me scars on my back and arms. I shivered at the sound of the voice.

"Now you will lose everything, because you are a jinx! You have put a curse upon Aladdin and soon he and all you care about will die! You have doomed them all!" then the Al lying on the ground leapt up into my face.

I gasped and sat up, sweat drenching my forehead. Looking around I saw that Al was still asleep. I sighed with relief and lay back down. Abu mumbled something in his sleep and I smiled at him and then gently drifted back off to sleep, hoping that I wouldn't dream that again.

Unfortunately I did, several times in fact. At one point my constant waking up got on my nerves, so I lay there awake waiting for the sun to rise.

Back to index


Chapter 4: Chapter 4

Chapter 4: Enter the Princess

"Aright Abu," I said. "Are you ready?" the small monkey nodded and I looked at Al who grinned at me. We were sitting on the awning above the melon stand and were planning to snatch one for breakfast.

"Ok, Abu, go!" Al said and with a salute the little monkey disappeared over the edge of the awning. I heard the merchant shout and then Al leaned over the other side. Abu reappeared and we waited for Al. He then sat up holding a melon. Abu and I grinned.

"Nice goin' Abu. Breakfast is served guys." Al split the melon into two and we gave Abu one and we shared the other. After we finished eating we sat back and observed the people walking to and fro throughout the marketplace.

"Al?" I said after a couple of minutes. "Why do you suppose that everyone is in such a hurry?" I waited for a reply and upon hearing none looked over to see that Al was staring at something in the distance. "Al?"

"Wow." He murmured and I cocked my head to one side in confusion. Then I saw what he was looking at. A girl. Abu confused too, sat on Al's head and waved a paw in front of his face, back and forth and not once did Al move. I then watched the girl and saw her pluck an apple off the fruit stall hand it to a small little boy. I grinned, boy Al could pick 'em. She was beautiful and kind. Those are two things that are pretty rare around here. I only hoped he would actually talk to her instead of the endless unidentifiable words he spoke to other girls.

I heard Al shift beside me and then snapped out of my thoughts and focused on the girl again. This time the fruit vendor had her arm. I heard her plead with him and I knew without looking that Al had leapt into action. I jumped down from the awning too and ran over to help them out.

I came up behind the girl as Al pulled the sword out of the vendor's grip. He then handed it to the girl. She looked at it confusedly for a moment before hiding it behind her back, as the two turned to look at her. I gently took it from her grip and she spun around and looked at me and then back at Al. I then tossed the sword away and focused back on the scene in front of me.

"What are you doing?" she whispered to us.

"Just play along, trust us." I whispered back. She then turned back around as the fruit vendor spoke.

"You, uh, know this girl?" Al grinned.

"Sadly yes, she is our sister. She's a little crazy." He took his hand and spun a finger in a circle around his ear for emphasis. The girl gasped angrily putting her hands on her hips. I had to hide my laughter. Al had a lot of explaining to do for that.

The vendor gripped Al's vest and pulled him into his face. "She said she knew the sultan!"

Al shoved his hands off. "She thinks the monkey is the Sultan." He indicted Abu who got caught red-handed trying to pick someone's bag. He pulled his paws back and grinned sheepishly at us. The girl looked at me briefly and I winked at her. Then she kneeled on the ground before Abu. I stuffed my fist in my mouth to keep from laughing.

"O', wise Sultan, how may I serve you?" I snorted into my fist as a look of disbelief crossed the vendor's face. Abu then patted her upon the head and chattered something unintelligible.

"Tragic, isn't?" Al told the vendor as he grabbed an apple off the stall with his foot. Then he tossed it at the surprised vendor. "But, no harm done." He stared at us curiously and I made a poor pitiful face at him. Al decided it was time for us to exit. We each linked arms with the girl and began to walk off.

"Come along sis, it's time to see the doctor." Al said and I grinned. The girl stopped walking suddenly and faced towards a camel.

"Oh, hello doctor, how are you?" I snorted and Al pulled her away and acted like he was scolding her.

"No, no, no, sis. Not that one." I could barely control my laughter.

"C'mon, Sultan." I told Abu and he bowed at the ground. Unfortunately his vest had been full of pick-pocketed things and they spilled onto the ground. The vendor growled angrily at us as I scooped up Abu and the pilfered things.

"Come back here you little thieves!" he shouted as we took off after the girl and Al.

Al and the girl climbed ahead of me and I gladly stayed back, secretly hoping that this was the girl for him. I had thought she was nice earlier, but after listening to her talk I felt that she was even better than before. Al climbed to the top of the ladder and turned offering his hand to her. She took it and upon being pulled up tripped into his arms. I watched them gaze at each other, obviously in love and I grinned.

But somewhere in my mind I felt a hint of jealously. It wasn't fair that they ignored me! But I quickly felt ashamed. It wasn't every day that Al met a nice girl and after all, he deserved to be with someone like her. Then the couple suddenly blushed realizing what they were doing. I pulled myself up to the top and waited for Al to help me over the wall. But he never did. Instead he acted as though I wasn't there!

I frowned to myself. He's just love struck that's all! I decided to give him another chance. I waved at him and he suddenly noticed I was there. Rather reluctantly he pulled me up and I then backed up to give him space. Suddenly I felt saddened. Maybe I was just getting in the way. After all I said he deserved to be with her, so why do I need to be there? So I told the jealous voice to shut up. I wasn't his brother after all just his friend.

The girl spoke then, "I want to thank you for stopping that man." She smiled at him. I went over to where Al and I usually catapulted ourselves over the street. I grabbed a pole and vaulted over to the next building.

"Uh, forget it." Al said then he grabbed another pole. "So, uh, this is your first time in the marketplace, huh?" he asked then he vaulted himself over and almost landed on me in the process. He was really head over heels for this girl.

"Is it that obvious?" the girl asked and I watched Al lean on his pole.

"Well, you do kinda stand out." He said his eyes locked on hers and she blushed, smiling. Then he snapped out of it. "I mean, uh, you don't understand how dangerous Agrabah can be." He then held laid out a plank for her to walk on. Instead, to his amazement and mine she vaulted herself over to us.

"Wow." I grinned at her. She was definitely made for Al.

"I'm a fast learner." She said walking past, jaw-dropped Al. Abu didn't like being ignored and glared when Al handed him the pole.

"Hey." Al said and followed after her. I walked slowly behind them, hoping to not distract them. I went and sat in the doorway after they went in.

After a while I heard Al yell, 'Abu!' I half turned my head and saw the little monkey greedily sulking in the corner. I waved at him to come over to me. He ran over and I pulled an apple out from where I had hidden it and handed it to him. He hugged me and then ran back over to Al. Feeling bored with the lovey-dovey stuff I walked away from our hovel and just as I rounded the corner I bumped into something. That something was a guard!

Before I could react another grabbed me from behind and slapped a hand over my mouth. I started trying to fight back, but all I got was a smack and then I was lifted off the ground.

"Quiet, street rat!" The guard carried me down the steps and there we waited for the other guards. Great, the jinx does it again.

A little while later I heard the Al yell 'jump!' and saw he and the girl leap from the window. They were soon caught as well as Abu, who had gotten thrown into a pot. I was then dragged over and Al looked up at me. I gave him an apologetic look. He frowned at me and then we both turned to look at the girl, who was beating upon Rasoul's arm.

"Let go of them!"

"Look what we have here men, a street mouse!" he then tossed the girl back and she hit the ground. Suddenly she stood up.

"Unhand them!" she shouted and then threw her hood back, revealing a jeweled band around her head. "By order of the princess." I felt my jaw drop and looked to see Al's and the guard's had too.

"Princess Jasmine." Rasoul said bowing low.

"The princess?" Al, Abu and I said at the same time.

"What are you doing outside the palace and with these street rats?"

"That's none of your concern." She said angrily her demanding nature kicking in. "Now do as I say release them!"

"I would princess, but my orders come from Jafar. You'll have to take it up with him." Rasoul bowed again and the guards dragged us off. I looked at the princess one last time and winced at her dark expression.

"Believe me I will."

Rasoul took lots of pleasure of parading us down into the dungeons and all I could do was look at the ground. My stupid cursed self got us caught. I could feel Al's eyes on me but I ignored them, not wanting to start talking now.

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.aladdincentral.org/library/viewstory.php?sid=1044