Together Forever by Sindie



Summary: My first story I ever wrote about Aladdin. If you want to know what happens after the third movie, this one covers over 60 years of the lives of the characters.
Rating: PG starstarstarstar
Categories: Aladdin
Characters: Abu, Aladdin, Genie, Iago, Jafar, Jasmine, Mozenrath, Original Characters, Sultan
Genres: Dark/Angst, General, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 12/06/04
Updated: 09/27/08


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Chapter 2: Chapter 2
Chapter 3: Chapter 3
Chapter 4: Chapter 4
Chapter 5: Chapter 5
Chapter 6: Chapter 6
Chapter 7: Chapter 7
Chapter 8: Chapter 8
Chapter 9: Chapter 9
Chapter 10: Chapter 10
Chapter 11: Chapter 11
Chapter 12: Chapter 12
Chapter 13: Chapter 13
Chapter 14: Chapter 14
Chapter 15: Chapter 15
Chapter 16: Chapter 16
Chapter 17: Chapter 17
Chapter 18: Chapter 18
Chapter 19: Chapter 19
Chapter 20: Chapter 20
Chapter 21: Chapter 21
Chapter 22: Chapter 22
Chapter 23: Chapter 23
Chapter 24: Chapter 24
Chapter 25: Chapter 25
Chapter 26: Chapter 26
Chapter 27: Chapter 27
Chapter 28: Chapter 28
Chapter 29: Chapter 29
Chapter 30: Chapter 30
Chapter 31: Chapter 31
Chapter 32: Chapter 32


Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Author's Notes: Disclaimer: All Aladdin characters are property of Disney and were used without permission, but they were used with love and respect. Anna, Troy, and Clara are all my creations, and I own the rights and priviliges to using them. Please do not use any of my characters without my permission.

This story was completed between Nov. 1998 and Jan. 1999 by Sindie.


~Together Forever~

I bring to you a story of life and death, fear and courage, melancholia and ecstacy, and truth. To all out there whose souls let them believe...

The human mind
Is a thin glass membrane,
Hollow inside
And shatters easily.

The human spirit
Is a solid glass sphere,
Whole inside
And unbreakable.

Chapter One


"I now pronounce you man and wife," said Sultan.
The two young lovers kissed and were married. Married...wow, it's hard to believe. Three years had gone by since they first met. Whoever would have thought it could have turned out this way for him. Born and raised in poverty, living on the streets, stealing to prevent starvation for seventeen years, and alone for that matter...until he met her.
She was born and raised in riches. Her life seemed so opposite of his. She had her loving father, a warm bed, and meals every day, but what a strange paradox life held for them, because she, too, was alone.
They were so fortunate to have each other. Together forever. But that was their life, not mine. As I looked on upon the joyous celebration, I knew I did not belong in their world. With nothing to prevent me from doing otherwise, I decided to leave.
"Goodbye, Aladdin," I said.
"Goodbye? Where are you going?"
"I'm not sure. I think I'll go with your father when he leaves."
"But why?" he questioned.
"Please," I whispered, "trust me, it's better this way. Tell Jasmine 'goodbye' for me, and good luck with your marriage."
"What? That's all you have to say? After all we've been through the last couple of years, you're just going to walk out on me? I don't understand..."
"Aladdin, please don't keep me here. You know very well who and how I am. If you delay my departure, I will only become angry. You know my temper is short."
"Very well," he replied, with a dissatisfied look on his face.
What could he possibly understand about my life, my inner self? I had hidden my true feelings away from my friends. I couldn't tell them. Not now. That is exactly why I had to leave.
I was on my way out when Abu, Aladdin's monkey, stopped me. He looked at me through his huge, innocent eyes, and although he couldn't talk, I know he knew something was happening. He always seemed an annoyance, because he got in the way when I usually wanted to be left alone. For some reason, though, I accepted him. Like with all my friends, though, I acted somewhat indifferent to their presence. It's not that I didn't care; it's just in my nature to act as though I don't care about them. I am not pleased with such a trait, but that is part of who I am. Anyway, this time it was different. I almost felt like crying...
"I'm leaving here," I replied, somewhat choking on my words. "I already said goodbye to Al. Well, goodbye."
He burst into thousands of tears and hugged me tightly. I know he was saying, "Don't go."
"Hey, it's okay. I'll be back. Don't worry."
I couldn't hold it in any longer. I, too, cried.
I eventually was out of the palace. I spotted Cassim, Aladdin's dad, standing behind the crowd.
"So, have you come to say 'goodbye', you little turkey?" he asked me.
"No, I already said my 'goodbyes'. Of course, the monkey had to cry, and that got me going..."
"You mean, you're not going to live in the palace?"
I didn't want to sound sad, so I merely made up an excuse and said, "With the newly-weds?! It'll be all lovy-dovy! I'd just as soon keep my will to live."
"Well," he began, "I don't know where I'm going, but you're welcome to come along for the ride."
"You're a good guy, Cassim."
He mounted his horse, and together we rode off into the desert.
"Where should we go?"
"It's up to you. Do you want to search for treasure?"
"As much as I like gold, I don't think so. I've been doing some thinking. Ever since Aladdin found you after twenty years, I have wanted to find my family. I never knew my dad, and I barely remember my mom. I was taken from my home when I was very young, and I haven't seen her since. I want to find her."
"Where?"
"Go south of here until you come to the rainforest. I know she is there."

Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2


Chapter Two


When we arrived, I knew it would not be easy to find my family. There are thousands of parrots in the jungle. The atmosphere was humid and hazy, something I was not used to. The desert was of course hot like the rainforest, but it was a dry heat, not heavy and wet.
"What does she look like?" asked Cassim.
"She's red until you get to her wing tips and tail, where she is all the other colors of the rainbow. She's beautiful. Hopefully, she should really stand out."
I turned my head to the right, and a parrot that looked just like her caught my eye. I immediately flew over to her.
She was facing away from me when I landed on the tree branch next to her.
"Mom?" I asked.
She jumped and looked at me, afraid.
"Who are you? What do you want?" she frantically questioned.
When I heard her voice, I knew it was her. I remembered how she used to whisper soft, sweet melodies as I went to sleep at night. It was Mom.
"Mom, it's me. Don't you remember? I'm your lost son."
She looked into my eyes. She smiled and exclaimed, "It is you! Oh, Iago! I thought you were gone forever!"
"No, I'm alive. I haven't always been happy and healthy, though."
"What? Well, where have you been all these years?"
"I've been living in the desert with humans. The man who took me was a nightmare. Oh, Mother! He tried to kill me! But when I talked, he was amazed parrots could talk. Well, it became worse after that. I became indulged in gold and power. I was a nightmare. I was evil..."
"You? Evil?"
"Yes, but I have changed. I've been good, or considered good, for the past three years. I don't believe it, though. I'm ashamed of myself. I still have too many bad qualities."
"I don't see what you mean. You are my son, and I love you. Didn't you have anyone?"
"I guess. I had friends, but I think they grew sick of my short temper and stealing and greed. I didn't belong with them."
"But you proved by coming to me that you do care. If you changed from evil to good, then you have strong willpower, Iago. You are good."
"Do you mean that?"
"Of course I do."
"Thank you. Well, I've found you now. I wish to find my brother and sisters. Have you seen them?"
"Yes," she stammered, "but they all have their own lives now. I see them from time to time."
"Do they have families?"
"No, but your sister Serie has been in love with a young parrot around her age. And Terie, your other sister, has lived with her. Your brother, Tico, looks just like you. He lives very close to me."
"Please show them to me!"
"Okay. Are you ready to go?"
"Hold on. Before I forget, I want to introduce you to a friend of mine. He is a human."
"A human?! How can you be friends with a human? They are scary."
"No, not all of them. I have lived with humans for almost my whole life. Many of my friends are people," I explained.
"Well, okay."
We flew to the clearing, where Cassim had been waiting. He had fallen asleep and was leaning against a tree.
I landed on his knee and said, "Cassim! Wake up!"
"What? Huh?" he asked in a daze.
"I want you to meet my mother."
"Oh, sorry! I fell asleep. It sure took you long enough."
"Mom, this is Cassim, the father of Aladdin, my friend."
"Um, hi," whispered Mom. "I never spoke to a person before."
"It's nice to meet you," he replied. "Iago was right. You are beautiful."
"Thanks," she quietly said and blushed.
"Well," I began, "we should be finding my siblings now! I'm anxious!"

Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3

Chapter Three


So, we travelled to a very tall palm tree and stopped. The lowest branches were twenty feet from the ground. He is smart, I thought, to build his home this high above the ground.
Mom and I flew up until we came to the top.
"Is this where he lives?" I asked.
"Yes. He doesn't like unwanted guests, if you know what I mean."
Mom went to Tico's front door and yelled, "Tico! Are you home?"
"Mom?" asked the voice from inside. "Yes, come in."
I followed behind her and acted somewhat shy. This feeling was strange for me, because I had never been afraid to meet someone.
"Hi there!" exclaimed Tico. "I'm glad you stopped by! It's almost lunchtime. Do you care to stay?"
"Sure. Thank you. Tico, I want you to meet someone."
I revealed myself to my brother and stared at him. Mom was right. He looked exactly like me! All these years I had a twin that I didn't even know about. The only difference about him was his voice.
"What? Who is this?" he asked. "Mom, is this some kind of joke? He looks just like me!"
"I know, Tico. That's because he is your lost twin brother, Iago."
"Brother? I have no brother."
"Yes, you do. Please try to remember. When you were very young, you had a brother. One day, he disappeared."
"Brother! I do remember! It really is you!"
Tico hugged me ever so tightly. He didn't let go for a few minutes.
"Hi, Tico," I shyly said. "I'm your twin, I guess. Wow, I never thought this day would come."
"It's great to have you back. You're always welcome in my house."
We sat down to a lunch of bananas, kiwi, and coconuts. Fresh fruit was a luxury one could never find in the desert. Even though the fruit merchants claimed to have "fresh fruit", it sure didn't taste as good as what I had that day.
We talked for hours about our lives. My mom and Tico's lives seemed so simple compared to mine. When I told them about my trips around the world on a flying carpet and the many times I nearly escaped death, they were amazed. And one thing I had neglected to realize was that I was changed by the humans. Humans and parrots are two totally different species, but when one lives with another species as long as I had, he is changed. I realized I would have never been so greedy for gold and power if I merely lived in the jungle.

Back to index


Chapter 4: Chapter 4

Chapter Four


"Thank you for lunch," I said.
"No problem. What should we do now?"
"I was hoping we could see my, I mean, our sisters."
"Sure."
We flew for quite a while before we came to their home. It's not as high as Tico's, I thought. My sisters lived in a rotted tree in a hole too close to the ground.
"Get out!" I heard one of them yell. "I never want to see your face again!"
A green and blue parrot came out of the hole, looking rather disturbed. He didn't say anything and flew off, not looking back.
"Who is that?" I asked Tico.
"Oh, him," he said in disgust. "He was Serie's boyfriend. I never liked that creep. He treated her so wrong. He always asked her for this and that, and if he couldn't have it, he would slap her! I'd like to hit him around a few times..."
"Tico!" Mom yelled. "Stop that! You don't talk about such things!"
"Yes, Mother."
We eventually got around to the hole. Mom stuck her head in and said, "Serie, I heard what happened. Are you okay?"
"Mom? Mom, I'm so glad you're here! That rat...he...he hit me!"
"Come here, Dear. I think I know what will cheer you up."
"Really? What?"
"Not 'what' but 'who'. Tico, bring him in."
Tico and I walked in, and I stared at Serie. She was pretty, and she looked like Mom, except for her tail, which was green and blue, rather than all the colors. She looked at me, confused.
"Tico? Is he a new friend of yours?"
"No, Serie. He's our brother. You recall when he disappeared, right?"
"Iago, isn't it? I do remember you! You were the one who always left the nest when Mom was gone!"
"Yes, that's me. I should have never done that if I knew what would have happened."
"What happened?"
"An evil man took me. All these years I have lived in the desert north of here with humans."
"Really? Wow! You must tell me all about it!"
"Of course, but first you must show me Terie."
"Okay, but let me warn you. Terie is extremely shy. She might not come around right away."
"That's okay."
"Terie! Come here!" Serie shouted.
"Yes?" asked a quiet, timid little voice, and she peeked around the corner.
"Come here, Terie."
"What?"
Terie was smaller than Serie and was marked the same as Mom. She was more cute than beautiful, because she seemed more like a child than a lady. Her eyes were large, and she looked like she had never done a bad thing in her life.
"Come on now," said Serie. "You need to meet someone. This is Iago, our lost brother."
She came close to me and looked at the pupils of my eyes. She just stood there, still as a statue, for a long time. Suddenly, her eyes filled with tears, and she put her wings around me.
I didn't move. I knew she needed me there, and for once in my life, I was unselfish. I realized that she probably needed someone her whole life, and now that I had come back, she was overjoyed.
That day had been the ultimate treasure for me. A huge revelation occurred inside me. I knew that all the riches in the world couldn't buy the happiness I received that day. I had my family back, and I didn't need anything more. For once, I loved myself.

Back to index


Chapter 5: Chapter 5

Chapter Five


Cassim met my whole family and lived in the rainforest with us. We spent our days in a tropical paradise, something I had wanted for a long time.
I told them of my life, and they looked at me in shock. My life was exciting to them, although I thought it was exhausting.
They never knew what it was like to live an adventure, to risk everything, and to actually want to be bored. How foolish they all were to want to live such an on-the-go life. I would explain over and over that they were lucky to have their lives.
As the days passed, though, I lost track of time. And the more time passed, the more I longed to live an adventure again. How I had changed! I never imagined growing bored of a simple, easy life.
As I thought some more, I realized that it wasn't so much the events I lived, but the people I had lived them with. I missed my friends in Agrabah, that city in the desert. I had to see them again.
"Cassim," I began, "let's go back to Agrabah."
"Are you crazy?" Remember, I'm a wanted man there for stealing the oracle from the royal treasure room."
"I know, and I also know that it was me who put you up to that, only so we could find the Hand of Midas, the so-called ultimate treasure. But I've changed now. You know I don't care about wealth."
"But how will the guards know that?"
"That's doesn't matter. Remember, Aladdin is sultan now; ever since he married Princess Jasmine, he has had power over them."
"You're right. I'm for it. I have to admit, I don't want to go another twenty years without seeing my son."
"Let's go, then!" I exclaimed happily. "I could bring my family to meet them!"
When I told my family about my plans, they were excited. They knew the journey would be long, but they yearned fo rthe chance to travel.
I was glad I was going back. They will be surprised, I thought, about how I have changed so much. My dreams were coming true. I had my family and friends and best of all--love. Nothing could destroy that.

Back to index


Chapter 6: Chapter 6

Chapter Six


Agrabah came closer and closer as we travelled across the hot, dry desert. This was strange to me, no humans for so long except Cassim, and now I would be surrounded by them. How long had I been gone?
"I'll fly into the palace first," I said. "Cassim, you should wait here, just to be safe. Mom, Tico, Terie, and Serie, you follow me."
I went through a small window at the back of the palace. When I was inside, I didn't see anyone. So, we walked quietly towards the doorway.
As I turned the corner, someone came out of nowhere and jumped on me.
"Hey! Get off me!" I screamed. "I can't see!"
He got off me and stood in front of me to see who I was. It was Abu!
"Abu! It's you!"
He was so excited as he bounced up and down. A huge grin beamed across him.
"See? I told you I'd be back."
He nodded in agreement and picked me up and tossed me up and caught me again.
"Okay!" I exclaimed. "I'm happy to see you, too! Abu, meet my family."
He stared in disbelief at them. I knew he was thinking, "Wow, I've never seen so many parrots!"
"Where's Aladdin?"
He grapped my wing and led me to the throneroom. Aladdin looked older; maybe it was his royal clothing, but he had a mature look on his face.
When I approached him, he looked at me and said, "Iago? Is that you?"
"Of course. Who else would I be?"
"You came back. I thought you didn't want to live with us."
I didn't know what to say. I expected him to act differently. He seemed to not want me there. He had changed.
"Aladdin, you're not as I remember you. What happened to you?"
"I have grown up, Iago. I am sultan and have been for a year now. I had to learn what responsibility is, because it is my duty to rule over Agrabah."
"Your duty? I thought it was your dream. You weren't so cold before. You cared about everyone, even me. And now you say it is an obligation, something you have to do rather than want to do, to look out for others. I miss the old Aladdin."
"Silly nonsense! At least I stood tall at my post. I wasn't like you; I didn't abandon my friends! You never did appreciate all I had done for you!"
"You don't understand!" I cried. "For once in my life, my eyes were opened and have stayed that way! I went to find my family! I don't care about gold; I care about those I love! Look at me! Look at me and know this: You have not lived my life! I hated myself for years, and the reason I left was because I didn't feel like I belonged in your world! Your dreams have come true! Mine have, too, now that I have realized what is important in life--love. Maybe it seemed like I never thanked you for putting up with me, but I was and still am grateful to you! Aladdin, you were the first person who ever looked out for me. I admire you. Look, I'm sorry! I truly am sorry for the way I was! All I ask is that you talk to me as a friend again. I miss you."
His cold eyes glowed with life again, and he smiled. He was still there; he hadn't left after all.
"Iago, I am so sorry. You are absolutely right. I let my job get to my head. Thank you for setting me on the path in the right direction again. You have changed. I think you always cared deep down, and that's why I never gave up on you. I knew you needed a friend. I'm glad you're back."
"I'm glad you're back, too."

Back to index


Chapter 7: Chapter 7

Chapter Seven


"Where is Jasmine?" I asked.
"She's in her room with our son."
"Your son? You mean, you're a father?"
"Yes, for two months now. I have a family now."
"Oh, silly me. I almost forgot! Speaking of families, I found my family."
"Really?! Where?"
"In the rainforest. Aladdin, I want you to meet my mom; Tico, my brother; and Serie and Terie, my two sisters," I said as they were walking in.
"Wow, this is wonderful, Iago!" Aladdin exclaimed. "You must be so happy you found them again! I'm happy for you."
"Thanks. I got the idea to find them after you found your father. By the way, Cassim is waiting for you outside."
"That's great! I'll go get him. Uh, you can visit Jasmine if you want."
While Aladdin was gone, I flew to Jasmine's room with my family close behind. I poked my head around the doorway and watched her sing to her baby. She was still just as beautiful as ever. Although I'm not human, I consider myself a pretty good judge of what is attractive in people. Let me tell you, Jasmine fits the bill! She has large, brown eyes with long, black eyelashes. Her hair is extremely long and is sleek straight and silky black. Her smile shows her perfect teeth. Her shape is curvy and lean, and her skin is tan and smooth. Aladdin sure picked a great woman!
She looked up and saw me standing there. She looked at me for a moment in surprise and smiled.
"Iago! I'm so happy you're back! When you left, I was wondering if I would ever see you again."
"Really? Me? I never thought anyone would really care. In fact, I thought at the time you would have been better without me."
"It may have seemed like I didn't want you around, but you must remember that I have known you longer than Aladdin. I remember when you worked for Jafar and were evil. I could never forget how mean that demon was to my family. You may not know this, but before you were in the picture, he killed my mother."
"How? Why?"
"He poisoned her while she was asleep one night. He made it seem like she just died in her sleep, but I overheard his plans while sneaking around one day. I was too afraid to tell Father, because I knew Jafar would kill me if he found out. He wanted the throne, that's why."
"I'm so sorry," I began to cry. "I didn't mean for you to bring up your horrible past."
"Oh, Iago. It's not your fault. I don't blame you for his actions. I remember how you saved all of Agrabah when you pushed Jafar's lamp into the lava. He was destroyed, thanks to you. What you did was so brave and was more than enough to accpet you as our friend."
"You really mean that? Maybe I did belong after all, but if I hadn't left, I would have never found my family. I hadn't seen them since I was kidnapped as a baby."
My family came in and met Jasmine. She told them they could each have their own room to live in. She turned to me and said, "You have changed even more for the better! You are so kind now, and your greed and short temper are gone as well. You amaze me, Iago."
Jasmine was so nice to me and gave me my own room as well. It was grand and lovely. The bed was extremely soft and had a lot of silky pillows on it. There were paintings on the walls ten feet high, and golden chandeleirs hung from the ceiling.
"Welcome home!" Jasmine smiled.

Back to index


Chapter 8: Chapter 8

Chapter Eight


In all the excitement of being home, I had forgotten about Genie. Genie wasn't always tolerable to me. I was usually too serious, and he joked around too much. I never said goodbye to him, and I wondered if he would be happy to see me. I'm not such a good parrot at dealing with problems. I seem to cause more of them than solve them. Hopefully, Genie's wouldn't present a problem.
I found him in a room, playing Chess with Carpet. He was really into his game, and I wasn't sure I should disturb him.
"Genie?" I asked, standing off to the side.
"Yes?" he asked. "Can't you see I have a game to lose?"
"Uh, never mind..."
"Wait a minute. Who am I talking to? Your voice sounds awfully familiar...Iago, is that you?"
"Yes."
"It's you!" he yelled and jumped up into the air.
"Uh-huh."
"Wow! You're back! You suddenly disappeared one day, and I wondered what had become of you. Where did you go? Did you have fun?"
"I had a lot of fun with my family."
"Family?! You mean to say that you found your family?"
"Yup, and I have spent the past year living with them in the rainforest. Aladdin and Jasmine already met them. So did Abu."
We talked for a long time about what each of us had done for the past year. It turned out that Aladdin has no longer had the time to adventure all over the world. He had been kept very busy in the palace. His son's name was Troy and has been an even bigger responsibility to Aladdin.
I hadn't talked to Genie for that long in a long time. Was it true? Genie and I were having a sensible conversation. It seemed like we were always arguing before. It was so nice to actually be able to talk. Genie wasn't so bad or annoying after all. I probably never gave him a chance, that's all.
The day was coming to an end, and I was really worn out. This sure had been an exciting day. Everything was wonderful in my life, and I counted myself fortunate to have all I ever needed in life: friends, family, and love.
I went into my room and lay down on my comfortable bed. There was a mirror on the table next to it, and I picked it up and looked at myself. I looked different somehow, although I wasn't sure how. Maybe it was my eyes, because they appeared more caring. I don't know, I thought. I felt so human, and when I would see a beak and feathers on myself, I knew I wasn't. And I wondered what I would look like if I were human. Ridiculous probably.
My wandering mind stopped suddenly and focused on something more important. I was so young, only seven years old, and felt like I had lived a hundred years. I had lived and felt more than most others ever would in their lifetimes. My shame of being once evil would always linger within the depths of my darkest thoughts, but the more I thought about my good aspects, the more I realized my qualities would shine through. I knew I had changed so much, and I was pleased. I was a hero, too.
There is a candle that burns within all of us. It can only be blown out if we are careless in our ways and leave it unprotected. Those who do wrong find themselves blind and living in darkness, because their candle no longer lives; therefore, they no longer live. All their lives are are hopeless mistakes and unguided children who shall never grow up to be wise. Those, however, who do what is right merely because they want to, possess candles that never die out. Their legacies live on forever, because legends are made from heroes. My little candle once went out in me, but another's candle lit mine again and gave me true life, the chance to be someone. Thank you, Aladdin.

Back to index


Chapter 9: Chapter 9

Chapter Nine


I had fallen into a deep sleep my first night back and had a horrible dream:
I went into my mother's room and felt an eerie presence. Within the heavy blackness, I saw my mom lying on her bed, as if she were merely asleep. Quietly, with fear arousing in my stomach, I approached her. Reaching to feel if she was awake, she was freezing cold to the touch. I gasped in pure horror at the sight that lay before my eyes.

There was blood all over the silk sheets, and her brains were sticking out of the top of her head!

"No!" I screamed. "Who did this to her?! They will pay!"

A sudden cackle came from the center of the room, and Jafar appeared before me. He looked at me with his glowing red eyes and sharp-toothed grin.

"Did you do this?!" I frantically questioned. "Huh?"

"She deserved it!" he shrieked, "because she had you! You were the biggest mistake ever set on this planet! You betrayed me! You shall die for your betrayal!"

"You...you demon! Have you no compassion for others? Are all your thoughts evil?!"

"Weak fool! Don't you recall how you once were? You were twisted, cruel, and evil, too! You have become weak!"

"You're wrong!" I yelled. "I destroyed you! I DESTROYED YOU!!!"

My eyes jerked open, and I peered around at the black emptiness that surrounded me. I listened. It was totally silent.
"Just a dream," I gasped. "That's all. A dream."
I closed my eyes again and tried very hard to fall asleep. For some reason, I couldn't, though. Everything seemed too good to be true. How could everything go right for once in my life? I tried not to be a pessimist, but I still feared the worst was yet to come.
I shouldn't worry about the future, I thought. It hasn't been written yet. There are things I should worry about now, in the present. My sister Terie was one of them. I knew she probably felt lonely in such a big, strange place. That in mind, I decided to go to her room.
She was not asleep, and that didn't surprise me. She sat up in her bed, her eyes totally huge and alert. When I came into her room, she jumped and squeaked, "Who's there?"
"Quiet, it's only me."
"Oh, Iago. Thank goodness! I was afraid it would be someone I didn't know."
"You have nothing to worry about. Everyone who lives here is really kind. I know you must feel scared being in a new place, but I'm here to help you."
"Thank you. You are so sweet to me. No one ever understood me before you came. It wasn't that I didn't love my family; it's just that I felt so out of place. They all have their own lives, I thought. And I shouldn't burden them with my problems. I was too quiet for them, I guess."
"I know how you feel. I felt out of place with my friends here, the only family I really had."
"Maybe that's why we're so close."
"Maybe."
I hugged Terie before I left and whispered soothing words to her as I parted.
Everything was fine, at least for now.

Back to index


Chapter 10: Chapter 10

Chapter Ten


I woke up to the very bright desert sun shining in my face. The moment I opened my eyes, I was nearly blinded by the intense rays.
For a moment, I had forgotten where I was. I looked around at the beautiful atmosphere and remembered I was in the palace. I looked out my window down on the plain city. The merchants were just beginning to set up shop for the day. It looked so different from up here. I recalled when I lived in the palace four years ago, but I had never seen the city the way I did that day.
There were so many poor people, starving their whole lives. I couldn't possibly begin to understand what it must be like for them. I felt like it was up to me to do something for them. I turned my head away and glanced around my room. Why couldn't everyone live like this? They probably deserved it just as much as any king.
Then my mind began to drift again...
We all are so different, but yet we're all friends. Fate brought us together for a reason, though, and I knew all our lives weren't always happy. Aladdin and Abu grew up as orphans on the streets alone. Jasmine grew up in a palace alone. Genie was mistreated by all his former masters and spent thousands of years in a lamp alone. And there was me, who despite having Jafar there, was also alone. We all had horrible childhoods.
I knew I had changed, but something still bothered me. There were so many things I had kept hidden away for so long. Until I came back to Agrabah a few days ago, I never wanted to admit to my friends that I actually cared. I had not known any different because of how I had been brought up...but that was gone now, wasn't it? Other people were more fortunate...
There were children like Aladdin's son Troy who are lucky to have loving parents. I wonder what he will be like when he grows up, I thought.
I decided to peek in Troy's room (which was also Aladdin's and Jasmine's) and look at him. Yesterday I hadn't gotten a good look at him.
I went down the hallway three doors until I came to the room. I opened the door just wide enough so I could fit through. Everyone was still sound asleep, so I tip-toed as softly as I could toward the cradle.
Troy was lying on his tummy with his little head turned to the right. He had a thick head of black hair and was extremely adorable. He wasn't much bigger than me!
"You're going to be very handsome when you grow up," I whispered. "It doesn't surprise me either. I mean, look at your parents. You must be the luckiest kid on earth to have such beautiful people as your parents, inside and out."
I suddenly heard Aladdin move. I turned around to see him facing me with his eyes wide open.
He smiled and said, "I heard what you said just now. That was very kind of you."
"Oh, you heard? Thanks. Did I wake you up?"
"No. I was already awake. You're up early."
"Yeah, I woke up with the sun. Are you getting up now?"
"Of course. As sultan, I have the responsibility of getting up early every morning, so I can start my plans for that day."
"You don't mind me being in you room like this, do you?"
"Of course not. You have just as much right as anyone to do as you please."
At that moment, Jasmine stirred and opened her eyes. She sat up and yawned, stretching her arms toward the sky.
"Good morning," she said to Aladdom. and they kissed.
"How did you sleep?" he asked.
"Pretty well." She turned to me and replied, "Good morning, Iago. How are you?"
"Great!" I exclaimed. "Oops, I guess I should keep my voice down with Troy still asleep."
Everyone eventually awoke within the next half hour, and we all went to the dining hall to have breakfast. Sultan (as he was still called) was there and didn't know I had returned. He welcomed me home. Cassim was there as well.
To be waited on hand and foot was so strange. There was a gigantic variety of fruit and grains. A feast for every meal every day may sound crazy, but I guess it was larger now that there were more of us to feed. It seemed kind of silly, because it's not like a parrot could eat as much as a human anyway!
After breakfast, Aladdin told me about some of his former enemies. Most of them eventually had given up, but Abis Mal, a power-hungry thief, tried to get the throne and was thrown in the dungeon as a result. Ever since, all had been running rather smoothly.
"Have you done anything about the poverty?" I questioned.
"I've tried many things, but nothing works."
"Oh," I replied sadly and looked at the floor.

Back to index


Chapter 11: Chapter 11

Chapter Eleven


Two weeks quickly passed, and I was used to the new routine. There was a lot more that went into being sultan than I thought. Aladdin had to go away for two to three days at a time on diplomatic missions, and if he wasn't away, someone was coming here. Peace agreements, what to trade, repairs in the city, new workers, a plan of defense, and so many other things were discussed.
Jasmine stayed home most of the time and took care of her son. She was busy; Aladdin was busy; and everyone else was busy in some way, shape, or form. I was bored out of my mind.
"Isn't there something I can do?" I asked Aladdin.
"I don't know. Do you have anything in mind?"
"Have you thought any more about the poverty problems?"
I had it on my mind, but I still haven't come up with any means of controlling it."
"I have an idea! We could count how many there are who have homes. We could compile a list of names and where they live. Then once a month we could give each family some money, enough to spend on food and clothes."
"That sounds like a great idea! I'll tell it to the other rulers at the next meeting! Thank you so much! Hey, how about you come and tell them yourself? You know, we could use some new ideas."
The meeting was that day at 3:00. When I told them my idea, they all smiled in great approval. The very next day my plan went into effect. The guards walked through the slums of the city and counted a total of 536 poverty-stricken homes. Aladdin made a speech to the city the day after that, and all cheered. The homeless children would all be adopted by wealthier families.
A month passed, and things had really changed for the better. There was less stealing in the marketplace and more peace in the homes. There wouldn't be another time like this for the city, for it was at its peak. Of course, I knew no better than anyone what lie ahead. When Aladdin came to me one night, he sounded worried, and I only wish I could have never known what was to happen next.
"Sultan is deathly sick," he said. "The medicine I need is far away, and I must leave at once to find it. Jasmine is too worried about her father to leave his side, and Genie is coming with me. You are in charge while I am gone."
"Me? But, Aladdin--"
"You can do it, Iago. I wouldn't allow you to be sultan if I didn't feel you couldn't handle it. I know it's a lot of responsibility, but someone has to do it."
"I'll try my hardest. I hope you find the medicine in time."
With no time to lose, Aladdin and Genie set off on Carpet. I paced nervously back and forth.
"What am I supposed to do?"
I flew to Sultan's room and looked hopelessly at Jasmine. She was bent over with her face hidden in her arms. Poor girl, I thought. Her father is dying. If only I could do something for her...
I perched myself on her shoulder and whispered into her ear, "Jasmine, I'm here if you need me."
She lifted her head up and looked into my eyes. Emptiness gazed right through me and hit my heart, and I knew it was over.
Something fell inside me, and I didn't know what to say or do. All those years of plotting behind Sultan's back when I worked for Jafar pulled my soul down. The poor, innocent, old man, so kind and cheery in his ways, was gone forever.

Back to index


Chapter 12: Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve


"He's gone, isn't he?" Jasmine whispered in fright. "No, he can't be! No!"
"Calm down, Jasmine," I began, "I know how you must feel, but there's nothing more that can be done. He's passed on."
"But-," she stammered and burst into tears.
"I know. You loved him dearly, and he loved you. You had him your whole life to care for your well-being, and you turned out wonderful."
"So, what do we do now?"
"I think I should inform the city. You should stay here. Don't worry, I'll take care of everything."
I flew to Cassim and brought him the sad news. He assured me that he would stay by her side.
Finally, I knew I had to make an announcement. I perched on the ledge that faced the city and yelled, "I need your attention, Agrabah! Hear me!"
A huge crowd formed outside the palace, and I began.
"The former Sultan of this great city has passed on within this hour. Your present Sultan Aladdin has left me in charge while he left to find the medicine. He had only left today a couple hours ago when Sultan was ill. Further plans shall be announced later. I must be off the find your Sultan Aladdin."
I lost no time and flew as fast as I could in the direction Aladdin had left. It was becoming dark, and I knew Aladdin must have set up camp for the night.
I eventually came across a single tent in the middle of the desert. Flying down toward it, I spotted Carpet laying outside the door.
"Aladdin!" I screamed. "Wake up!"
"Huh?" he asked, half asleep.
"You must go back to Agrabah at once! Sultan is dead!"
"Dead! When?!"
"Right after you left. Please, there's no time to explain now. Just come."
We hurried back to Agrabah on Carpet, and none of us fell asleep, because we were all too worried. When we flew into the palace, Cassim ran toward us and said, "Jasmine has gone into hysterics! She's going insane!"
Aladdin ran to her room and trying to comfort her, put her in his arms. She stopped crying and fell asleep in his arms.
"Thank you, Iago," he said, "for getting me at once. I picked the right one to be sultan."
"I didn't know what to do until things turned from bad to worse. I only did what seemed right at the time, hoping I made the right decisions."
"Poor girl," said Cassim. "I hope she gets over this soon. She shouldn't have to suffer so."
"If you knew her like I do, Dad, I think she can fight anything. She is a very strong person inside. I just hope I don't lose you any time soon."
Sultan was sixty-eight years old when he died. Cassim was forty-three at the time. He was a lot younger than Sultan, and Aladdin needed him around a long time, since he hadn't seen him until last year.
Sultan's funeral was held two days later, and he was buried to rest in peace. As time passed, Jasmine became more like her old self again, and when she found out she was to have another child, she rejoiced. Nine months later she had a baby girl. Anna Lynn was her name. The days and nights came and went. Ten years passed so quickly, and I watched Troy and Anna grow older. Troy looked like Aladdin, and Anna looked like Jasmine. Both were intelligent, sweet children and were the fruit of their parents' greatest dreams. Everything was happy for a long time.
It may sound strange, but I forgot about myself. I devoted myself to teaching Troy and Anna and helping the city. Abu looked at me in disgust, although he was actually jealous.
"Abu," I began one day, "I haven't forgotten about you. I'm sorry if I seem occupied with other things, but I've grown up. There's no time to play around anymore."
He understood what I was saying, but he wasn't the least bit pleased.
"Come here," I replied.
He came, and I hugged him.
"I should never become so busy that I can't be with my friends. You're absolutely right. Look, let's chase each other around, for old time's sake."
He beamed, and we had fun again. I forgot I was eighteen years old, and I ran about like I did when I was five. And you know what, it felt great!

Back to index


Chapter 13: Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen


Life was so strange. It favored some of us and tortured others. It didn't make sense: Why it was unfair was still a mystery. I thought I would have figured it out by now. No one knew myself better than I did, and so I was quite sure that something was still wrong with me.
Genie walked into the room and came toward me.
"What are you doing all alone in here?" he asked.
"Just wondering."
"About what?"
"About why it feels so strange. Did you ever feel out of place?"
"For a long time. I always knew I would be different because of who and what I am. People thought that because I was a genie that my only purpose was to grant wishes, to be their slave. That is, until Aladdin came around. He told me that he would set me free. Of course, at first I didn't believe him, but I didn't know the kind heart he had. I'm so grateful to him."
"I can relate. When he was willing to take full responsibility for me, I thought, 'He saved my life. No one ever looked out for me.' It wasn't easy, though. The only way I had been used to thinking was evil. One thing you never had to go through was changing yourwself. I mean, I know I've been fine for eleven years, but I can't help but to wonder how Aladdin could be so caring. I'm sorry, but he's the only one who would understand. I must find him."
"Fine, I understand. I guess I could never be smart enough to be your friend."
"Genie, come on. You know I didn't mean to-"
"Whatever. You are still so selfish. It's always 'Help me.' or 'You wouldn't understand.'"
"Fine! See if it matters to me anyway! You always were stupid!"
"Fine! I'm leaving!"
"Fine! And I hope I never see your face again!"
Genie stormed out of the room, and I bawled.
"You idiot!" I told myself. "Now look what you've done! You had to go and lose your temper! Oh, I hate myself!"
I buried my head in the bed covers and cried forever, it seemed. I hadn't changed at all. I was still selfish and rude.
"I don't deserve happiness!" I shouted. "I'm so ugly and mean and oh--everything imaginably bad! Stupid! Stupid! STUPID!!!"
From out of nowhere, Aladdin's voice said, "Iago, what's wrong?"
"What?" I said softly and looked at him in blurred vision.
"Are you okay? Please tell me."
"I'm not worth it. You're sultan. You have more important things to do than worry about me."
"No, nothing is more important to me than my friends. I won't leave you until you tell me what's wrong."
"It's me. Look at me. What do you see?"
"What do you see?" he asked and handed me a mirror.
"A scary face, a huge beak, and an ugly..."
"No, look beyond that."
"Beyond what? Nothing?"
"All I see is beauty."
"Beauty? In me? Never."
"Why do you say that?"
"There's a part of my life you don't understand, because I never told you about it."
"Tell me, then."
"Okay..."

Back to index


Chapter 14: Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen


I was only a child. One day, like every single day before, Mom went out to find food for us. I was left in a cramped nest with my siblings and wanted freedom. There had been many days before when I would leave the nest to try to prove how sneaky I could be. I would take nearly a half an hour to fly from one tree to another, considering my wings were clumbsy and awkward in proportion to the rest of me.
I spent the afternoon leaping from tree to tree, enjoying myself and thinking I knew it all. Totally out of breath, I stopped and looked at my surroundings.
"Where am I?" I asked myself.
I had wandered too far from my only home. My sense of direction was terrible at that age. With nothing wlse to do, I cried.
A dark shadow approached me. I quickly glanced behind myself. The man behind me was tall, snake-like, and thin. His sharp teeth were perfectly lined, and his beard was sleek, black, and twisted at the end. His eyes scared me the most. I could tell he was evil.
Too afraid to scream, I trembled as he grasped my body. He threw me into a cage and took off with me on a horse. The surroundings changed over the next few days. The rainforest, my homeland, disappeared, and a desert surrounded my weak body. We approached a city, rather dull-looking, all the same color, and so dry.
That day was the first time I saw Agrabah, never knowing that barren place would become my new home.
We passed all the monotone voices of the crowd, which blended far too closely with the buildings. There was only one place left to go. A palace--huge and beautiful. Did this man live there? Was he king or sultan or tyrant or whatever?
The guards bowed to him as he walked past. He had to be somebody important.
As soon as we entered the palace, I could not believe my eyes. There were marble floors, pillars then stories high, and gold everywhere.
In the throneroom sat an old man. He was fat and had a long, fluffy, white beard. He looked gentle and welcoming with his comforting smile. He was sultan, because he sat high in his golden throne.
Next to him was a young, beautiful girl of about twelve or thirteen. She was very thin and had long, black hair and large, brown eyes. She was a princess, I was sure.
"So, Jafar," began the old man, "how did your expendition go?"
"Spendidly, Your Highness," said Jafar. "I have captured another animal for my studies."
"A parrot," began the cheerful sultan again, "is an exotic bird. Where did you find him?"
"In the rainforest south of here."
"How nice."
"Indeed," said the snakeman rather slyly. "Well, if you will excuse me, I must proceed on to my chamber."
"Very well. Good day to you."
Jafar, so he was called, lifted the cage up off the light blue marble floor, and he walked off toward another elegant room of the palace. He went to the wall and pulled on a rope that hung from the ceiling. Suddenly, a trap door opened and in he went. As the stone door closed behind us, I noticed the surrounding atmosphere had changed from elegant into desolate. There was a hidden chamber that looked like a sorceror's study. There were numerous books on shelves, a table topped with glass flasks and test tubes, magic potions of varying colors, a huge magic book opened on a pedistal, and a black kettle was boiling on a fire. There were also other types of things, but I had no idea what they were.
I was set down on the table with all the potions. I recalled the sultan telling Jafar about studying animals, but there were none in sight. Suddenly, I began to wonder what he did with all those poor animals. Fear aroused within me, and my stomach churned.
The evil man opened the cage and grapped me with his cold hands. He brought me closer and closer to the boiling kettle of who knows what. He was planning on killing me!
"No!" I suddenly screamed. "Please! Don't kill me!"
He stopped moving totally, and his eyes grew huge.
"You can talk?" Jafar gasped.
"Yes, I can! But please, don't hurt me or kill me or do anything bad to me!"
"You can talk," he said in astonishment. "I never heard of an animal of any breed or sort having the capability of talk. Amazing."
"So, you won't kill me?"
"No, I've had a change of mind. You could be good for my experiences. Ah, yes! The intelligence of a parrot! Just tell me, can all parrots communicate like humans?"
"Well, yeah. But I want to go home."
"You mean, you don't want to live here? In the palace? All the wealth of the city is here. I'm the royal visier, or advisor, to the sultan. Not forever, though, because some day I shall be in command! I shall be sultan!"
"Well, I guess this is a pretty nice place."

Back to index


Chapter 15: Chapter 15

Chapter Fifteen

It was after that first day together that I became brainwashed by the shine of power and gold. I did not realize after long that I had become far too much like this man who I thought was evil at first sight. Being evil seemed so good at that time. My personality changed from innocent and dumbfounded into greedy, intelligent, and loud. I remained sneaky and deceitful, but not in a childish way, yet in true evilness that blackened my heart. Being extremely smart was fine, but I used it in the wrong way. My temper was short, and I was stubborn. The only person I ever spoke to was Jafar, and I complained about the other people in the palace.
I found out the princess's name was Jasmine. She seemed to look more mature every time I saw her. She was now fifteen and looked like a young lady. Her figure was curved, and her face lost its roundish shape. Most of the time, she was in her room alone. She would talk to her tiger, Rajah, and tell him she had no real friends.
One day, Jafar had asked me to sneak into Jasmine's room and steal her only diamond necklace. He didn't explain anything, but I did it anyway.
I peered around the arched doorway. Jasmine was sitting on her lilac bed, faced away from the door, and gently stroking Rajah's fur on his back. There was no way I was going in there. Not with that cat in there.
"Rajah," said Jasmine softly, "I wish I was someone else. I hate my life. There's no freedom here. My home is nothing but a beautiful prison. Father merely tells me I'm a princess and should be happy as who I am. Jafar, yuck, he scares me. I've seen him sneak into his chamber. And that bird of his, he probably got him only so he could have someone small do his dirty work."
Dirty work? It never occurred to me that I had become cursed with evilness. I only knew I had to get that darn necklace.
Suddenly, a wonderful idea came to me. I could imitate the sultan's voice calling Jasmine.
"Jasmine! Oh, Jasmine! Dearest, please come here for a moment, won't you?"
"Father?" she asked loudly.
"Just come here, Darling."
"Coming!"
Jasmine stood up and quickly walked out of her room. Rajah followed.
"Yes!" I exclaimed in a loud whisper.
I took the necklace and flew back to Jafar's chamber.
"Excellent work, Iago!" he exclaimed.
Jafar took the diamond from the necklace and mounted it into a stone holder. Then, he mixed a blue potion with a red potion and poured them onto the diamond. The acid boiled and actually ate away the entire diamond! Lightning, blowing wind, and clouds came together above us, and a picture of a ring with a blue diamond appeared.
"Yes! At last!" he crazilly yelled. "I'm only one step away from ruling Agrabah!"
"What?"
"I now know where the last thing I need is. The ring on Sultan's finder is the one I need. Of course, I already know where the Cave of Wonders is, well, I will have the the two halves of the scareb. I will anyway tonight once that lousy thief Gazeem gives me the only half I need. Put the two parts together, and the cave appears! I find the lamp with the genie inside, and viola--I'm sultan!"
"But why would the book have you find the ring?"
"I don't know, and I don't care! I have all I need!"
So, the day grew old, and the sun set. Jafar and I rode out to the middle of the desert with only the starlight and full moon to guide us. A chunky, short man in torn clothes appeared in the distance and eventually reached us. He timidly handed the other half of the scareb to Jafar, who immediately put the two pieces together. As soon as they were attached, they magically flew off to where the Cave of Wonders was.
A gigantic tiger's head came up from the sands and opened its mouth. Jafar ordered Gazeem to go into the cave and get the lamp. The head prohibited such an action:
"Know this: Only one may enter here. The one whose fortune lies within the diamond in the rough."
Gazeem turned toward Jafar and gave him a look that asked, "What should I do?"
"What are you waiting for? Go on!"
Gazeem approached the cave once more and was swallowed inside.
"That does it!" I yelled. "We're never gonna get a hold of that stupid lamp! Look at this--look at this...I'm so ticked off that I'm molting!"
Despite my temper tantrum, Jafar remained calm and said he would have to find the one who may enter the cave.

Back to index


Chapter 16: Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen


The next day would show us who. Jafar hypnotized Sultan with his snake staff and took the blue diamond ring off his finger. That was why the ring was there, so we would be able to find who could enter the Cave of Wonders.
"Iago," he said, "you will run on my storm machine, so I can find out who can enter the cave."
"Not again!" I yelled. "Why do I always wind up having to do everything?!"
"Listen to me, you little coward! You would not be here if it wasn't for me!"
"Okay, okay."
There had been many times when that idiot told me what to do, and I would sometimes tell him what I thought. He, however, manipulated me into always following his commands. So, like the cowardly fool I was, I had no other choice than to listen to this tryant or die.
Reluctantly, I stood on the machine and began running.
"Can't we just wait for a real storm?"
Save your breath, Iago! Faster!"
So, I ran as quickly as I could, and an image of a boy appeared on the hourglass. He was about seventeen and looked like he had lived his whole life on the streets.
Jafar planned on sending out the palace guards to arrest the street rat and lock him in the dungeon.
"I shall disguise myself as an old begger," he began, "and tell him of a treasure. We shall escape from the dungeon to the Cave of Wonders. I will tell him to go in and bring me the lamp, and he shall receive his reward. But that reward, not gold, oh...no, but DEATH!"
He physically looked insane as he laughed. I only stared at him. Even though he was my only "friend," I often knew deep in my mind that he had a crazy, inhuman mind that merely craved power. It is not easy for me to now remember exactly what I was thinking. Am I still the same? Or did I somehow evolve?
Later that day I knew when the boy from the marketplace had been arrested. We were coming out from our "secret chamber" when Jasmine came storming into the room where the hidden door was.
Jasmine was almost sixteen and mad been moody lately. She was supposed to wed a prince by her birthday; however, she detested all her suitors who came to court.
"Jafar!" she bellowed. "The guards just took a boy from the market on your order!"
Jafar, not expecting her entrance, closed the door on me! The jerk!
I could hear them muttering to each other for a couple minutes, but who cares! I was stuck! The moment she left, I somehow escaped and found out Jasmine was truly angry.
Sultan was angry at Jafar once he had found out what had happened. Being the kind-hearted man he was, however, he forgave him.
We headed back to the chamber, and Jafar disguised himself. He looked so different that I would not have recognized him. Well, he had become ten times uglier than he already was.
As Jafar sat in the cell, I was hidden under his clothes and could hear the boy talking to his monkey, Abu.
"I'm a fool," the boy mumbled.
"You're only a fool if you give up, boy," Jafar said.
"Who are you?"
"A lowly prisoner like yourself, but together, perhaps we can be more."
"I'm listening."
"There is a cave, boy. A Cave of Wonders."
Jafar pulled some jewels out of his pocket to impress the prisoner. He coaxed him and led him out through a secret passageway.
On the way to the Cave of Wonders, I could hear the conversation between Jafar and the boy. I found out his name was Aladdin, and he had lived his whole life on the streets. He told Jafar about a beautiful, young girl he met before he was arrested. That girl, he said, was the princess. Now it made sense why Jasmine had come storming into that room earlier and yelled at Jafar.
I only hoped my master's plan would work. I did not appreciate being stuffed into his clothes and sweating to death.
An hour or so passed, and the cave began to roar and glow from within. It only beame angry when someone touched some of its treasure. They must have done something wrong, because I knew Jafar's plan would not work.
He approached the mouth of the giant tiger's head and looked in. Aladdin was holding on for his life. Below him was a lake of lava that boiled and steamed so hot.
"Help me up!" he yelled.
"First give me the lamp!"
"But I can't hold on!"
"Give me the lamp! Then you shall have your reward!"
The struggling boy handed Jafar the lamp, and Jafar laughed crazily and pulled Aladdin up. He held a dagger in front of him.
"What are you doing?!"
"Giving you your reward! Your eternal reward!"
Suddenly, Abu came out of nowhere and bit Jafar's hand. Jafar screamed and Aladdin fell to his doom and was trapped in the Cave of Wonders.
"I've got it!" yelled Jafar as he looked in his pocket.
"What? Where is it? Nooo!"
He had lost the lamp.

Back to index


Chapter 17: Chapter 17

Chapter Seventeen


"See what you've done?" I began. "You wasted so much time coming out here just to get your stupid lamp!"
"Shut up, you little fool! Don't force me to destroy you!"
At that moment, I was so frightened. I knew I had no choice but to do as I was told or die.
"I'm sorry."
"Good. Now let's move on."
Later that day back at the palace, Jafar sat in the throne, wondering how he could become sultan.
"How about you marry the princess?" I suggested.
"Indeed," he agreed.
When Sultan was sitting in his throne again, Jafar came running into the throneroom with a scroll.
"I have found a solution to the problem with your daughter!" he exclaimed.
"Oh, really?"
"If the princess has not chosen a suitor by the time she is to wed, then the sultan shall choose for her."
"Yes, but Jasmine hated all those suitors. How can I chose someone she hates?"
Jafar pretended to continue to read from the scroll: "No need to worry. If the sultan can't find a prince, then the princess shall marry the royal visier."
"What? But I thought only a prince could marry a princess. I'm quite sure that..."
"Desparate times call for desparate measures. You will order the princess marry me!" Jafar said, holding his mesmorizing snake staff in front of Sultan's face.
Suddenly, a long band was parading down the street and blasting its music extremely loud! A chorus sang about Prince Ali-Ababua. Well, from the looks of things, it appeared Jafar wouldn't be marrying Jasmine after all. At least not yet.
The prince entered on his gigantic elephant through the palace doors and stopped directly in front of Sultan, standing on a magic flying carpet.
"Your Highness, I have journeyed from afar to seek your daughter's hand."
"Oh, how marvelous! Of course! Prince Ali-Ababua! I'm delighted you're here. This is my royal visier, Jafar. He's happy, too!"
"Ecstatic," mumbled Jafar.
Sultan was obviously very happy to see a prince come to court his daughter; Jasmine might actually find someone to marry. Jafar asked Ali where he was from, and the boy seemed to be uncomfortable. While the two disputed, Sultan rode on the magic carpet and chased after me. I looked away for a moment and flew straight into a pillar. That really hurt!
Jasmine came into the thronemroom and overheard the conversation about Ali saying he would win Jasmine's hand.
"I am not a prize to be won!" yelled Jasmine and stormed off.
"Just give Jasmine time to cool down," Sultan reassured Ali, and the two left.
Jafar's face darkened, and he muttered, "I think it's time to say good-bye to Prince Abubu."
That evening Jafar ordered the guards to arrest the prince and terminate him.
"Make sure he's never found!"
The prince was thrown off a cliff into the ocean to drown. That was the end of him, so I thought.
Jafar and the guards headed back to the palace. I was excited, because I thought Jafar was surely going to get the throne.
He hypnotized Sultan again and told him to tell Jasmine to marry him.
"Jasmine," said Sultan, "I have chosen a husband for you."
"What?" she gasped. "But I chose Ali."
"You will wed Jafar."
"No!"
"You're speechless," I heard Jafar exclaim, "a fine quality in a wife!"
"I'll never marry you! Father, I told you I want to marry Ali!"
"Prince Ali left," Jafar said.
Suddenly, Ali was back, because I heard his voice:
"You better check your crystal ball again, Jafar!"
"Ali!" exclaimed Jasmine.
"What the heck?" I asked.
"Tell him the truth, Jafar! You tried to have me killed!"
"Your Highness, what ridiculous nonsense. He's obviously lying."
"Father, what's wrong with you?" asked the princess.
"I know what's wrong!" Ali yelled.
He grabbed Jafar's snake staff and broke it. Sultan came out of his trance.
"Sultan! Jafar's been controlling you with this!"
"What?!" Sultan screamed. "Guards! Guards! Arrest Jafar at once!"
"That's it! Just dig a grave for both of us! We're dead!" I panicked.
Jafar quickly grabbed something out of his pocket and threw it down at the floor. Smoke rose, and we were in his chamber.
"We've gotta get out of here! We've gotta start packing! Bring only essentials! The guns, the knives, the weapons, and how about this pictures? I don't know. I think I'm making a weird face..."
I trailed off as I realized Jafar was laughing.
"Jafar! Hello?! Get a grip!" I said, knocking on his turban.
He grasped my neck tightly.
"Good grip."
"That Prince Ali is nothing more than that ragged urchin Aladdin! He has the lamp, Iago!"
"Why that miserable..."
"And you are going to realive him of it!"
"Me?!"

Back to index


Chapter 18: Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen


That evening I disguised myself as a flamigo and stood in the pond with the rest of them. I immitated Jasmine's voice and called for the prince, or Aladdin, to come. While he was in the garden, I cleverly snuck inside and grabbed the lamp. When I arrived with the lamp, Jafar was hysterically happy.
"Yes! At last!" he screamed, grabbing the lamp from me, never thanking me or anything.
He rubbed the lamp, and a genie came out. His first wish was to be sultan, and when he figured he wanted more power, he wished then to become the most powerful sorceror in the world. He banished Aladdin and his monkey Abu by throwing the tower they were in off into the sky.
While I was shoving crakcers into Sultan's mouth, and Jafar was persuading Jasmine to marry him, suddenly, Aladdin and Abu appeared out of nowhere. The monkey grabbed me from behind, and Aladdin fought Jafar, who had turned into a snake, so he could kill Aladdin.
"Face it, Jafar! You've still just second best! The genie has more power than you'll ever have!"
"You're right," the snake replied. "His power does exceed my own, but not for long. Genie, I wish to be the most powerful genie in the universe!"
Jafar's transformation began, and he looked so terrifying to me, even the devil was better looking. He thought he had all the power in the universe, until he was sucked into a lamp. On his way in, he grabbed my tail, pulling me in as well.
"Get your blasted beak out of my face!" he yelled.
"Oh, shut up, you moron!" I yelled, sick and tired of him.
"Don't you tell me to shut-up!"
Suddenly, I could feel the lamp begin to fly across the sky. We were buried somewhere in the middle of the huge desert.

Back to index


Chapter 19: Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen


"You're going to get us out of here," Jafar ordered.
"Yeah, yeah..."
Maybe that's what he was thinking, but I had other intentions. I was getting out, not him. When I finally got my head above the sand, I told him he had better listen up.
"You're nothing without me!" I screamed.
"If it weren't for me, you'd still be in a cage at the bazaar squawking, 'Polly want a cracker?'"
What a lie! Did he think I was stupid? He never bought me at some bazaar; he stole me from my home. I may have been young, but I still remember. He never appreciated everything I had done. Fed up, I dropped the lamp in the well and flew back to Agrabah.
When I was finally back home, I looked at the palace. Oh, how I wish I could be in there again, I thought. Aladdin and Abu came strolling from the front door, and they were dressed like royalty. It's not fair, I thought again. I had lived my whole life in the palace with no worries. I never knew what starvation was or finding a place to sleep or loneliness. Now I realized I was the one on the streets, doomed to be condemned for the rest of my life. Suddenly, I hated myself for the first time. I should have never stayed with Jafar those past three years. I never knew guilt, but now I did.
But what was I supposed to do? I didn't want to live like some street rat. I quickly denied my guilt and decided to try to get back into the palace.
So, I put dirt on myself to make it look like I had been suffering, and in a sickly, coughing voice, I said, "Aladdin...finally got free of Jafar."
"Iago! What are you doing here?" Aladdin questioned angerly.
"Getting dark," I continued. "Where are you? Hold me..."
Suddenly, he grabbed fiercely at me.
"You're not fooling anyone!"
"No, wait. I'm serious," I lied. "I was under Jafar's power. He mesmorized me with his snake staff...just like the sultan."
I quickly flew through the marketplace till Aladdin, Abu, and I bumped into someone. This ugly, fat slob was a thief who recognized Aladdin and started chasing after him. Plus, his men went after me, too. I had nothing to do with Aladdin's past. Angered, I pushed a vase off an upper ledge, so it fell on the men, causing them to run off.
"Thanks for your help. You saved me," said Aladdin.
I was taken back to the palace, and you know what happened from there.

Back to index


Chapter 20: Chapter 20

Chapter Twenty


"Wow," said Aladdin in amazement. "I never knew that part of your life. I completely understand now. I wish you would have told me earier. I would have listened."
"I'm glad you know now. I wish I hadn't have yelled at Genie, though. I haven't lost my temper like that in a long time."
"I'm going to talk to him. I'm sure he will understand."
"Is there really beauty inside me?"
"Of course! And you aren't ugly on the outside either. Look at yourself again. Smile and you'll feel better."
Aladdin left the room, and I picked up the mirror on my bed. I held it for a long time and simply stared long and hard into myself. I turned my head from one angle to the next. Suddenly, there was one angle that stood out above the rest. My eyes looked huge and innocent. There, for only a moment, I saw myself as a child once more. My light laughter and cute, bouncy body shined through my dark soul again, and I left out a familiar sound. And then I found myself lost again in the night, and those terrifying eyes of Jafar shot through all that was loved inside myself, destroying it. My bright plumage turned dull, and my voice became heavy. That fool I was was myself. Unbearing to look at my nightmare of a past any longer, I came back to reality.
"My voice?" I gasped. "It's so...old. What happened to me? I know...I aged."
It seemed so tiresome and repetitive, my life, that is. I mean, I would find myself over all my problems, but then here my problems were back again. I decided not to think about it anymore that day.
I closed my eyes and drifted into a light slumber for a while until Genie came into my room.
"Hello!" he exclaimed. "Oops, he's asleep. I better go--"
When I heard his voice, I jumped up and jerked open my eyes.
"Huh? No! I'm up!"
"Oh, okay. Did I wake you up?"
"No, I was only taking a nap."
"Aladdin told me."
"Yeah, he said he would. Look, Genie, I'm sorry. It's just that I--"
"Wait. I understand completely. I shouldn't have raised my voice at you. I didn't know what you were going through. Now that I do, I only wish you would have told me years ago."
"Aladdin told me the same thing."
"Well, I can see why. Iago, we all wish you only the best. We will always be your friends. If something has been troubling you for so long, why didn't you say anything?"
"I felt like an outcast. I never had any real friends before, and I thought everyone was just going to use me for their own benefit. I never knew any different. And when I was how you guys put up with me, I felt like you were annoyed with my presence."
"I know how you feel, but there are other things to life. Come on! Cheer up! Do you really want to wear a frown for the rest of your life?"
"Well, no. Genie?"
"Yes?"
"I'm sorry I yelled at you. I--"
"Don't worry. Everything will be fine. You'll see."
"Thank you so much."
With that, Genie smiled and left.
I felt reassured. I had finally overcome my greatest burden. My friends were each golden treasures to be kept cherished forever. For a time, I would be happy again.

Back to index


Chapter 21: Chapter 21

Chapter Twenty-One


"I'm leaving to fight in battle!" yelled Aladdin.
"Do be careful, Dear!" Jasmine cried after him. "I hope to see you soon!"
"I'll be back, Jasmine. Have no doubts..."
"I really hope so..." Jasmine frowned.
Aladdin walked over to his beloved and placed his arms around her body. He gently rubbed her back and looked longingly into Jasmine's eyes.
"I will be back, Jasmine. I promise you. You have my word on my love for you, and that cannot be broken."
Aladdin rode off to the east, leading two thousand men into Mesopotamia to fight. There had been problems over the borders of the two kingdoms there, and Agrabah's trade routes were threatened. With no agreement on peace, war broke out some six months ago.
Troy was learning his duties as Sultan, for one day he would take over Aladdin's position when he decided to step down.
"What did you do as Sultan?" he asked me.
"I was only Sultan for a couple hours when Sultan died. Jasmine had to stay here, so I left and found Aladdin and Genie. It is no easy task. I once thought that all a Sultan did was sit on his throne and tell people what to do."
"Can he do whatever he wants? Why, I would! I would have lots of gold brought to me, and I would throw parties everyday!"
"Troy, don't be foolish. There's more to it than that."
"Then, what's the point?"
"The point is," said Jasmine as she entered the throneroom, "to consider the wellbeing of others before yourself. You are still a child, though. Some day, you will see."
"I'm no child! I'm twelve years old! Mother--"
"Troy! Stop it! You are not Sultan yet. I'm your mother, and you will listen to me!"
"Yes, Mother."
Troy hung his head and walked out of the room.
"He'll survive," I said. "Well, it's getting late. I'm going to bed."
"Good night."
"'Night."
It was a good thing I was going to bed, because that day had been one long day. With Troy's attitude problem and all...
Late that night, Troy came running into my room and began violently shaking me.
"Hey! What are you doing?"
"Hurry! It's Abu!"
"What?!"
"Come on!"
I flew quickly into Abu's room and looked at him. He looked fine.
"He's sleeping," I said. "So?"
"No, he's not breathing."
"What?"
I scurried up to him and listened for a heartbeat. There was none.
"Abu!" I cried. "Wake up! Abu? Abu..."
"What's wrong with him?"
"He's...dead. No. No! NO!!! This can't...be. Abu...come back. No, don't be gone. You were my friend...one of my best--nooo...you can't be--Abu? I love you so much..."
My dear, little friend had passed on to a better place.
"Wherever you are, Abu, I just want you to know I'm so terribly sorry for all those mean things I said to you so long ago. I hope you are okay."
I cried harder than I think I ever had yet. It wasn't fair. He was nineteen years old, and that was old for a monkey, yet I had been the same age, and I was still rather young for a parrot. I could live for another fifty or sixty years. Why couldn't he?

Back to index


Chapter 22: Chapter 22

Chapter Twenty-Two


Aladdin spent six months in battle. It was the longest war Agrabah had to fight in a long time. Jasmine had taken control of the city during that time, and a huge famine devoured Agrabah. People fell dead on the streets, because the war caused many trade routes to close. There were few foreign merchants selling theirs goods in the marketplace, and the crops that we managed to grow in the desert were not enough.
Every morning Jasmine would go out into the city to help the poor. She dirtied her hands and sacrificed her time to help her people. And in all of that, her aging began to take place. She had a few wrinkles under her eyes and white hairs frosted her black hair. For only being in her early thirties, she sure aged quickly. I guess all her hard effort was wearing her out.
One day while she was attending to her royal duties, she glanced up to see an army returning to the palace. Her eyes beamed again, and she ran in excitement to the door. Aladdin led the army. He too was fatigued and aged. He had a rather long beard and was leaning over. He lifted his head and smiled to Jasmine.
Both ran toward each other and hugged for the longest time.
"I told you I would be back," replied Aladdin.
"Oh, can this be?! My love has returned! I've waited so long for this day!"
"Me, too. I never lost hope though that some day I would see your beautiful, young face again."
"What beautiful, young face? I have aged. Oh, what was happened to us?"
"Jasmine, you will always be my jewel. I love you forever. Besides, I've seen better days as well. Look at this beard! I must shave."
Jasmine laughed and hugged Aladdin again.
"So, how is everyone doing?" question Aladdin.
"They're fine."
"Where's my little buddy Abu? I expected him to attack me the moment I entered the palace."
"Oh, Abu...poor Abu...I'm sorry, Aladdin--but...he's dead."
"What?! Dead?!"
"Yes, he died shortly after you left. He was found dead one night. Died peacefully in his sleep."
"He was my first friend. Why, Abu and I, we go way back. I'm sure going to miss him. I never got to say goodbye."
"I know how you feel. Father's death was hard for me, too."
"He was old, very old for a monkey."
I had never seen Aladdin cry. I thought he would break apart then, but somehow, he held it back. He had a very strong heart, the heart of a fighter. I guess anyone who was as great a hero as him would have to.
He looked up to where I watched from on a high window. I flew down when he waved to me. Aladdin looked at me with the softest eyes and said, "At least my other little friend is still alive."
I didn't know what to say. I wanted to thank him for his kind remark, but I was afraid to bring anything up about Abu. I felt I should have died with Abu.
Troy and Anna greeted their father. A huge welcome home banquet was thrown in honor of Aladdin's return. Everyone was happy for the most part, so I figured there was nothing more to do than to be happy as well.
While the party was going on, Mom came up to me and pulled me aside.
"I'm awfully sorry to bother you, but I have something very important to tell you."
"Yes?"
"Your brother, sisters, and I have decided to return to the rainforest."
"But, Mom, I want you to stay here. Don't you like it here?"
"Of course we do, Iago. It's just that our home is in the jungle. We have been gone for twelve years."
"I guess I can't block your happiness. I sure will miss you, though."
"Me, too, Son. You found us, and I'll never forget the happiness it has brought me to see your face again. Don't kid yourself, though; your true family is here...in Agrabah. It was here all along."
"My friends? Of course they are my family, but you are my real mother."
"Your home is Agrabah, Iago. Please do not make this harder than it has to be."
"I understand. It would be selfish to me to wish for you to stay here if you really don't want to."
"Thank you for understanding. I love you forever."
"I love you, too."
"My family flew out of my life, and I never saw them again.

Back to index


Chapter 23: Chapter 23

Chapter Twenty-Three


Three years passed in the blink of an eye. It was Troy's sixteenth birthday, and the boy still looked like a child. Anna, for only being a year younger, had blossomed into a beautiful lady. She looked just like Jasmine when she was younger, except Anna's hair was wavy rather than straight. Another year would bring unbelievable changes in Troy's appearance. He grew nearly a foot in height, his voice deepened, and his stature was now that of a man.
It had come time for him to start dating. He courted princess after princess from several surrounding kingdoms. None of the damsels interested him, though.
"You are just like you mother," said Aladdin. "You can't find someone to love. She rejected all her suitors. That's how she wound up with me, a street rat."
"I just don't understand, Dad. I try very hard to find the right girl, but they all seem so dull and boring. All they care about is how they look and how much money they have."
I know it's hard. They don't value money the way they are supposed to. I know that very well, because for a long time, I had no money."
"How did you know Jasmine, I mean, Mom, was the right one for you?"
"The moment I saw her, something sparked inside me. I thought with my heart. It's an unexplainable felling of just knowing she's the one."
"How do I know?"
"You just do. Besides, one day you shall be Sutlan."
"Wow, I can't believe that!"
"You've known it all your life. Why are you so surprised?"
"I don't know. It just hit me really hard all of a sudden."
"Easy for you to say," interrupted Anna. "I'll never be ruler of this city."
"That's because you're just a girl," snickered Troy.
"Stop that, Troy!"
"Stop what? Telling you the truth?"
"Troy! Cut that out!" yelled Aladdin. "Anna, calm down..."
"No! He always does this! I've had enough!"
"Anna--"
Anna ran out of the throneroom and into her bedroom. I had seen the whole thing, and I felt sorry for the poor girl. I went to her side and peeked around her head.
"Anna, you'll always be someone important to me."
"Huh? Oh, it's just you. Thank goodness it's not Troy."
"Why are you so sad?"
"Troy really gets on my nerves at times. He likes to rub it in that I'll never rule this city."
"A lot of people never get the chance to rule a city. Your father is a big exception. He's not even royalty. Well, what I mean is that he wasn't born in the royal family. I'm not royalty, and you know what? I don't care."
"But you're good friends with the Sultan. You live in a palace like you're royalty."
"True, but I didn't always. When Aladdin lived on the streets, I lived with him for three years in an old, abandonned building. He managed. At the time, I was jealous of the Sultan. I tried over and over to get wealth, but every time I failed. After a while, I realized something, though. Good friends are worth more than any treasure. You know that."
"Yes, I guess I do. You are very wise. Thank you. I'm glad you have been with me all my life. You taught me a lot about life."
Anna got over what seemed at the time a huge ordeal. She would eventually understand all that complicated stuff in life. It seems we all do, but not without going through a stage of searching first.

Back to index


Chapter 24: Chapter 24

Chapter Twenty-Four


Aladdin decided that each week he would send someone from the palace to patrol the streets to make sure all was at peace and report back to him any problems. Troy was walking through the street, disguised as a commoner, the one day. He noticed a pretty girl just his age selling silk clothing in one of the marketplace stands.
"Hi there," he flirted.
"Oh, hello."
The girl acted shy and blushed, looking down at the ground.
"How are you doing today?"
"Oh, fine."
"Do you sell these lovely clothes every day?"
"Well, yes. I've been here every day for nearly a year now, and I have never seen you."
"Oh, really?"
"Yes. Are you foreign?"
"No."
"Oh, I'm sorry. Agrabah is a big city. I guess it's impossible to meet everybody."
"I don't know anyone here."
"Oh, and how is that?"
"I don't get out much."
"That's a shame. By the way, my name is Clara."
"That's a nice name. My name is Troy."
You have a simple name. It's nice to not have to memorize a difficult name for once."
"Yeah, well, I have to get going. I'm kinda busy today."
"Okay. Hey, it was nice meeting you."
"You, too. So, I'll see you around?"
"You know where to find me."
With that, Troy was on his way. He continued to visit Clara whenever he had the chance. They became very good friends, and Troy got to thinking that she was the right girl for him.
"We've known each other for quite a while now," he said. "I got to thinking one day. We're good friends, right?"
"Of course."
"How would you like to be more than that?"
"What are you getting at?"
"Would you be my girlfriend?"
"Me?! Really?"
"Sure."
"I'd love to, but I don't know where you live."
Troy became nervous all of a sudden. He would have to reveal his true identity if they were to go out.
"You promise to believe me?"
"Of course. It's not like you would make up some silly story about how you live in the palace and you are the prince."
"Um, actually, I do live in the palace, and I am a prince."
"Stop joking!" Clara laughed.
"I'm not joking. I really am Prince Troy."
Clara stopped laughing and glared at Troy in complete disbelief.
"Why won't you just tell me the truth, Troy?"
"But I am!"
"Prove it!"
"Fine! I will! Meet me here at five o'clock today. Wear your best dress. Trust me, you won't regret it."
"Okay," she said dryly.
Five o'clock rolled around, and Troy met Clara. He escorted her to the palace gates. She kept silent the entire time, and she knew that Troy had been serious, because when they walked past the palace guards, they bowed to Troy.
"I have invited you to a royal dinner with the Sultan, Queen, and Princess Anna."
"You chose me? A regular, old girl to come into the palace? Don't you need a princess?"
"Why would I choose anyone else? You are the girl I love."
"I know, but still--"
"Do you know who my father is?"
"The sultan."
"Well, yeah. No, but he is Aladdin. Have you ever heard of him?"
"Oh, yes! My mother told me stories about him when I was a child. He was Agragah's greatest hero. He saved the city countless times."
"That's right. And do you know who he had been before that?"
"A street rat. I remember now! Princess Jasmine couldn't find a prince who she loved, so she chose a common boy to be her husband."
"Now you know why I chose you."
"I'm touched, Troy. You have no idea how much this means to me."
"I know what you mean to me, though--the world."
The two young lovers seated themselves at the dinner table. Aladdin and Jasmine were delighted that their son had finally settled down and chosen a girl to wed someday.
Clara saw me and said to Troy, "Is he your parrot? Does he know how to speak?"
Troy glanced at Aladdin. Both laughed.
"What's so funny?" asked a perplexed Clara.
"You have no idea, my dear!" exclaimed Aladdin. "He can talk as well as you or me. Don't you know that parrots are as intelligent as humans? He is no pet either; he is our friend."
Clara blushed and turned to me.
"I'm sorry. I didn't know. How do you do?"
"I'm fine. I bet you are pretty happy yourself, huh? I mean, knowing one day you will be Queen and all."
"Me? Queen? You're right! Wow! I can't believe it, uh--what's your name?"
"Iago."
"Okay, Iago. Say, what a funny name! I like it! This is fun. I mean, talking to a parrot--"
Clara turned out to be quite interested in me. I couldn't help but to laugh. I approved of her as being Queen one day. What a sweet girl.

Back to index


Chapter 25: Chapter 25

Chapter Twenty-Five


Clara was beyond excitement when she left the palace. Troy offered to escort her home. As the blossoming couple strolled down the pleasant, quiet evening streets, Troy wondered where his girl lived. He had never seen her home before. They came to a plain building, just like all the others, in the center of town.
She led Troy into a rather nice home. Apparently, Clara and her mother were well off. The walls were painted light blue, and colorful wolven rugs hung from them. Two beds with multiple blankets sat on each side of the room, and in the center sat a wooden table with four matching chairs. There was a cooking area inside a smaller room. Two red and yellow vases stood on each side of the door, and sweet aromas of breads and tea came from the doorway.
Clara peeked her head into the kitchen, and Troy stood behind her. He noticed a lady in her mid to late thirties with long brown hair at work.
"Hi, Mom," replied Clara.
"Oh, hi, Dear," said the lady, not noticing Troy. "So, how did your--"
She suddenly stopped. She was lifting her head slowly when her eyes met Troy's. She gasped and put her hand over her heart.
"It couldn't be-- No, that's ridiculous. He would be as old as me now..."
"Who, Mom?"
"Oh, just someone I knew when I was your age. He was so handsome. I fell in love with him at first sight. We saw each other a few times after that, but we were only friends. I haven't seen him for nearly twenty years."
"Who was he?"
"Huh? Oh, it doesn't matter. It's just that he looked a lot like this young man here. So, this is Troy, the boy I've heard everything about."
"Yes. Our date was wonderful. He introduced me to his parents, and you are not going to believe this, but they live in the palace!"
"The palace?!"
"See, you don't believe me."
"No, wait. I do. Clara, this is Prince Troy, then that must mean that his father is Aladdin."
"You know my father?" Troy asked.
"Yes. He is the one I spoke of. Clara, this is wonderful."
"You could meet him again," Troy suggested. "I invite you to the palace tomorrow at five o'clock for dinner. A carriage will be by in front of your house to pick you up."
"That would be wonderful! It has been so long. I often wonder if he has forgotten about me while he sits there high on his throne."
"My father would never forget anyone. His heart always has more room for friendship."
"Yes, that he does."
"Just tell me, what is your name?"
"Sadira."
"I'm glad you will finally see Aladdin again, Sadira. Well, I am afraid I must go. It was nice meeting you."
Clara and Troy kissed and hugged, and Troy headed home. He went up to his father and said, "I have invited Clara and her mother to dinner tomorrow."
Troy walked down the hall to his bedroom with a slight smirk spread across his face.

Back to index


Chapter 26: Chapter 26

Chapter Twenty-Six


Troy was excited to see the look on his father's face when he would introduce Sadura to him. The boy, I still called him that, came into my room and jumped on my bed. The rumble of blankets woke me up.
"Good morning, Iago!"
"Oh, hi. What are you doing?"
"Wait till I tell you! Clara's mother knows my father!"
"Of course she does. He's the sultan."
"No, I mean, she knew before that. She knew him like twenty years ago."
"Really? Who is she?"
"Sadira."
"Oh, Sadira. I remember her. She was saved by Aladdin one day. See, Jasmine had taken him into the marketplace one day to choose cloth, so she could make him an outfit. Anyway, while they were standing there, the palace guards ran past them, chasing a girl. Aladdin got involved and told the guards that Sadura was the royal fruit inspector, and that is why she had taken some fruit from a nearby stand. They pulled it off, and Aladdin introduced her to Jasmine. The head guard came up to Sadira and asked if all the fruit was fine. Jasmine exclaimed, 'But Agrabah doesn't have a fruit inspector!' The guards chased Sadira, but she lost them. She then tried to win Aladdin's heart, but she eventually realized that Aladdin's heart belonged to Jasmine. They became friends, though, despite me not trusting her."
"What a story! Why didn't you trust her?"
"She used sand magic to try to win Aladdin. Even though she never intended to hurt anyone, magic is dangerous. Once I had to test her 'soup.' It tasted fine, but my body turned into an hour glass. Luckily, I turned back to normal when the sand all reached the bottom."
"I guess I could have been nervous around her, too, but I'm sure she has changed."
"I'm sure she has, too. She was never a bad person. I should have accepted her more, but I was so stubborn."
"Well, I'm glad you told me more about her. I'll see you later."
"Bye."
Dinnertime was arriving quickly. It would be wonderful to see the surprise in Aladdin's face again. He was always so occupied with his royal duties that he had to act serious and focused, or if he was finished, he was too tired to do anything fun. I don't know if it's something about aging, but the young fire that Aladdin possessed seemed to be dying out. Where had the sparkle in his eyes and the shine in his smile gone to?
Everyone was seated, and Clara and Sadira entered. They sat down, and Aladdin greeted them, not looking up. Troy began laughing. He looked at Clara, who also began her little giggle. Before I knew it, the whole table was in laughter and gesticulating awkwardly to Aladdin. Finally, Aladdin lifted his head up. He glanced to Troy and gave him a puzzled look.
"What's so funny?"
"You."
"Me?"
"Yes."
"Why?"
"Have you looked at Clara's mom yet?"
"No, I--"
Aladdin suddenly met eyes with Sadira and realized who she was.
"Is that you, Sadira?"
"Yes, Aladdin. I'm sorry, I'm so dumb. I mean, Sultan."
"No, that's okay. Call me Aladdin, please. I can't--believe...it's really...you...wow! Sadira! I haven't seen you for--How long has it been?"
"Too long!
Sadira jumped up, and Aladdin hugged her. Jasmine joined in the happy reunion. What a great day for Aladdin. He was still young at heart.
"Wow! This is amazing!" exclaimed Aladdin. "Tell me, how old are you now?"
"I'm thirty-seven years old. Gee, I've become so aged. Look what time has done to us."
Tell me about it. One day I've a little child with no idea what the future holds, and now I'm a middle-aged man with children who are grown up."
"Yes. It's hard to believe. It's sad how life had to change so much. I want back the risks we used to take, the adventures we used to have. Everything is so dull now."
"What you say is true for me as well. Everyone thinks that I have everything going for me. I'm not complaining about my friends and family, but I feel worn-out and old now. Ever since Abu died six years ago, things just haven't been the same."
It was too depressing to listen to. What started out as a happy reunion turned into a long lamentation about life. All we do is age constantly, and I knew I could not escape it. I would die someday, too. An omnipotent fear aroused without my conscious control in my darkest depths. It felt like a thousand knifes stabbing, penetrating through each pore of my limp body at once. What a horrible, crazed thought!
I dashed out of the room, devoid of uttering a solitary word. I flew, rushing to unknown places. I would stop for only a brief second to catch my breath and then move faster to catch up for the lost time. It was like a race, and I was so close to an ever-moving finish line. And suddenly, Cassim stopped me.
"Stop trying to beat time," he began. "You'll never succeed."
"How did you know?"
"I know you, Iago. I know your strong inner fear of death."
"But why? I don't understand. Why do good people have to die? What did they do to deserve such cruel punishment?"
"You are mistaken. Don't think of it as a punishment. See it as a blessing. They no longer have to suffer from this earth. They are living in a forever prosperous paradise called Heaven."
"Heaven is real? I thought people only believed it was true for the sake of mere comfort. How do you know it even exists?"
"Faith. It's really quite simple. You just know in your heart what is true."
"Really?"
"Yes. Are you content now?"
"I am. Thank you."
My fear subsided, although I would still have times when it would come back. I remembered the first time I risked my life without the fear of death ever crossing my mind:
That demon Jafar was destroying Agrabah for the second time. It looked to Aladdin and all his friends like nothing could save them now. I stood from afar on the top of the palace, and I saw the destruction Jafar was causing. He had opened the earth, and lava was boiling just below.
"You won't ever hurt anyone again!" I yelled.
I flew down to the steaming pit and grapped Jafar's lamp. While I was flying over the lava, Jafar sent a beam of lightning at me. It struck me hard, sending me head-first into the side of the rock wall. Barely conscious, I kicked the lamp, which had fallen beside me, down into the lava. As the fallen lamp melted, Jafar screamed in agony as he died.
Somehow, Aladdin had managed to grab me, because the next thing I remember was being in the arms of him, and everything was calm again.
"You saved our lives," he said. "Twice. You saved all of Agrabah even though you didn't have to. Thank you so much."
"Me? Did I really? I had to. You saved me twice. It's only fair that a friend do what the other would."
That is how I had earned such a true friend, and now I understood years later that I would never lose him, not even to death.

Back to index


Chapter 27: Chapter 27

Chapter Twenty-Seven


Things ended quietly that night, and everyone went to bed. The next morning was peaceful and rather quiet. We were always used to hearing Genie bounce about the hallways, laughing childishly as he wished everyone a good morning. This day was different, though. We had all dressed and were now seated around the breakfast table. Genie still hadn't come. We waited some more, but Aladdin jumped up with a terribly worried look on his face.
"Something's wrong. Genie is always up by now. I'm going to see what is keeping him."
Nobody could sit still, so we all followed Aladdin to Genie's room. The door creeked open, and the room sat still and calm. But something was wrong...
"Where's Genie's lamp?!" Aladdin exclaimed. "I'm almost sure it was here last night. Everyone, search the entire palace! It must be here somewhere!"
"Aladdin!" boomed a frighteningly familiar voice. "Aladdin!"
"What? Hey, who's doing that?" Aladdin questioned, angered.
"It's been a long time, such a long time since you have seen me. Oh, how I missed torturing you..."
"Who are you? As Sultan of this city, I demand that you reveal yourself, trickster!"
"Calm, calm, Aladdin. You wanted to know where your genie is; well, I think I can be of some assistance. Too long have I waited to darken your doorstep again, but it was worth every second. You see, you took from me my sole source of magic--my gauntlet! I have spent years studying all the books on the darkest forms of magic, and after all these years, I have finally found the perfect source for my new power. A golden helm worn by Amenhotep IV in ancient Egypt was the source of his knowledge. He believed in monotheism, the belief in one god. At the time, he was scorned for his belief, but he possessed the power of Aton, his one god. The helm is mine now, but it's power has been drained over the years. I need a cosmic blast of power from an immortal big enough to rekindle my magic. I have your genie, Aladdin. Come claim his fallen cadavre, for he shall not survive my infliction."
"Mozenrath!" Aladdin bellowed. "The nerve of you! I thought you were through!"
"Oh, no. Aladdin, you shall be the only one who is through!"
"We'll see, Mozenrath! You'll never win! Never!"
So, just like years ago, we set out on Carpet to the Land of the Black Sand. It was so strange to be going on an adventure again. We had missed those adventures, because our lives had turned dull, but the endangerment of Genie's life wasn't the way any of us wanted to spend an adventure. Aladdin was extremely angry and more worried than anything else. I hated to see him this way, but how could I change anything?
"Aladdin, everything will be fine. You have beaten Mozenrath many times before. You can do it again."
"It's been a long time. I doubt my strength to fight him. Who knows what crazy plan he has developed to destroy me now."
"Destroy you? Aladdin, seriously, this really doesn't sound like you. You never give up. You're a hero. You can go through with this."
"I'm not so sure now. I'm not the person I used to be. I'm old and weak."
"I'm ashamed to hear you speak so about yourself! You sound like me when I made myself a terrible name. Listen to me. You always never gave up on helping me; well, I'll never stop helping you. I will fight Mozenrath till my last breath if I have to."
"You would die because of my cowardice? I won't allow it! No! I'll fight Mozenrath, and I'll win Genie back! He's my friend; he wouldn't abandon me!"
"That's better!" added Jasmine. "We'll all help you. No matter what happens, we won't stop until we win."
Carpet arrived with us in front of Mozenrath's Citadel. We gazed up in simple amazement and pure fright at the huge wooden door and black, cracked bricks.
"Let's go," said Aladdin.

Back to index


Chapter 28: Chapter 28

Chapter Twenty-Eight


The eerie atmosphere inside Mozenrath's Citadel was nothing to be missed. We all felt the exact same fear as our stomachs knotted and churned as we had felt several years ago. Aladdin led us straight to Mozenrath's throneroom, and as we looked inside the barely opened door, we could see a figure perched high on the throne. It was Mozenrath, no doubt, although he looked much older than someone around forty years of age. His face was the lonly thing not hidden behind his deep maroon clothes. He wore a long, uneven beard, and his hair grew limpish and dull from under his turban. He was pale as a corpse, and his black eyes emitted a glare of pure hatred. Mozenrath's clothes hung loosely off his bony, malnourished body. Worst of all was his right arm. He had given up his flesh and blood of that arm for his magical gauntlet. All that remained of his arm were the yellow, dry bones. If he did not move, one would have mistaken him for a corpse dead one hundred days!
"Aladdin!" boomed a surprisingly loud voice for such a frail man. "It's so nice you could join me this afternoon."
"Cut the small talk, Mozenrath. Where's Genie?"
"Do you really think I am going to just reveal that kind of information?"
"You can make this easy, or you can make this hard."
"I would have no means of entertainment if I merely gave your Genie to you, Aladdin. I have dire need of a good laugh. No matter, why continue to talk about this miniscule dilemma when I can show you!"
"Then show me Genie!"
Mozenrath snapped his fingers, and Aladdin disappeared.
"My dear husband!" yelled Jasmine. "Where is he?"
"You shall meet again, my dear, sweet princess."
"I'm no princess!"
"Oh, pardon my dishonor, Queen Jasmine. You shall see your beloved in the grave!"
He clapped his hands, and she was gone.
"The rest of you," began Mozenrath, "I have no need of. To the dungeon with you! And this rug shall make a nice tapestry!"
Mozenrath's undead guards, the mamluks, grabbed hold of Clara, Troy, Anna, and me. We were taken to a cell and locked up.
"This is crazy!" shouted Troy, inflamed. "My parents are going to die, and there's nothing I can do about it!"
"We can't lose hope," said Clara. "You must remain strong."
"But it's so hard."
"Don't forget, Troy, that our parents have beaten Mozenrath many times before," reassured Anna.
"I wish I were as brave as my father," said Troy, looking at the floor.
"This doesn't involve you guys," I said. "If you wouldn't have come, you wouldn't have wound up in here."
"But it does involve us!" Anna cried.
"Yeah, they're our parents. We love them," added Troy.
"Look, I'm sorry," I said. "I didn't mean it like that. I just don't want to see you suffer. Oh, listen to me. I'm being a talking fool. I think I can fit between these bars."
The thought also crossed my mind: If only Abu were here. His lock picks always came in handy when we were locked up. But he's not here, is he? Abu...if only...I miss you...
As I wiped a small tear away from my eye, Anna began again: "You're going to find them?"
"Yes. I have to. Now let's see."
I stuck one leg and one wing outside the cell. I was stuck between the bars.
"They're too close!" complained Anna.
"No, I can do this," I said, trying my best to concentrate.
I pulled myself in as small as possible and pulled my other wing through. After one giant yank on my other leg, I was free.
As I walked slowly and cautiously through the halls of the damp dungeon, I felt lost in a labyrinth. I heard cries from my right and above, and I realized that those were the cries of Aladdin. I quickened my pace and followed the sound. I finally escaped the prison and went up a twisted staircase to another long, dark hallway. I knew I was very close. On the left, all the way at the end of the hall was a door. Unable to move slowly any longer, I flew to the door as fast as possible. I flung open the door and saw Aladdin holding on for his life unto a thin iron rod. He was about to fall to his doom into a deep, bottomless pit.
"Aladdin!" I gasped.
"Iago! You came for me! But how will you pull me up?"
"I don't know! I must find something!"
"Help! Fast! Please! I'm slipping!"
"I'm trying--"
I panicked and frantically ran around the room, looking for something to help.
"I can't find anything! Oh, Aladdin! I can't let you fall! I'm too weak to--"
"I'll always remember how you tried."
"No! I can't stand here and allow you to die! If you fall, then I'll fall with you!"
"But you can't--"
"Grab my wing!"
I reached over, and Aladdin grabbed my wing. An overwhelming strength came to me, and slowly I began to pull him up. The longer I pulled, the easier it became to pull.
"It's working!" he exclaimed.
Aladdin was finally safe, but I was beyond worn out. I felt like I hadn't slept for a week.
"You did it! Thank you so much! You found the strength to save my life!"
Aladdin picked me up and hugged me tightly. I couldn't move.
"What's wrong?"
"That strength took a lot out of me."
"How did you do that?"
"I don't know. I believed I could do it, and it came true."
"Well, however you did it, thank you."
"Hey, that's what friends are for."
Aladdin had to carry me, because I was too weak to fly or walk. We walked around for hours in that forever-going palace.
"Where could Genie be?" asked Aladdin.
At that moment, an image of Genie appeared in front of us. He was screaming in agony as he burned in a furnace.
"Mozenrath! Is this some kind of joke?!"
There was no response. Then an image of Mozenrath sitting in his throne appeared. He was looking at the ground and obviously not doing any magic.
Maybe it's not Mozenrath," I suggested.
"You could be right. Maybe I'm doing this with my mind. If you think about it, it all makes perfect sense. You must have used your mind to save me. Somehow, this place is enchanted. Whatever someone imagines becomes real."
Aladdin imagined a pathway that led directly to where Genie was. It worked, because many yellow arrows suddenly appeared on the floor that pointed to a room. We followed them and found ourselves right outside of where Genie was.
Aladdin saw Genie suffering just as his real image had shown him. Raged and worried, he rapidly wished to have the fire be out. It worked, and Genie came out of the furnace, burnt but still alive.
"Thank goodness you're still alive!" yelled Aladdin in complete relief.
"I thought I was done with. Mozenrath and his little mind machine didn't work after all."
"Mind machine?"
"Yeah, he told me his entire plan. He got a helmet from an ancient Egyptian who was granted absolute mind power. The magic died out over the years, and Mozenrath needed a cosmic power strong enough to rekindle it. He built this furnace that changed my power into power of the mind. The helmet would then of course absorb the power, and Mozenrath would be able to use the mind power to make whatever he imagined become real."
"That explains it! We discovered that whatever we imagined became real, too. The power from that furnace must have enchanted this whole palace, not just the helmet."
"All of that is over now. Thanks for saving me, pal."
Genie and Aladdin quickly embraced, but we moved on again to find Jasmine. It was pretty easy to find her using our minds. She was locked up in a boiler room and had passed out from the intense heat.
"Let's hurry and get her out of here!" Aladdin yelled.
After we saved Jasmine, we released the others. Troy and Anna were so amazed that their parents were alive, but they were more happy than anything. Aladdin was, of course, relieved that his family and friends were safe, but he was in a rage at Mozenrath.
"I'll make sure that snake never hurts any of us again!" he bellowed. "I have his helmet. Let's see if he wants it!"
He imagined Mozenrath standing in front of him. Suddenly, the poor excuse for a man appeared, and his face sneered.
"Aladdin! How is it you live? How did you get me here?"
"Simple! You thought you were the only one who knew how your little mind machine worked; well, you're wrong! You used its magic to nearly kill Jasmine and myself; now I'll use it on you! It's not your magic anyway! That power came from Genie!"
"Good, good Aladdin. You figured it out. We'll see how you like the power of my helmet!"
Mozenrath turned around to grab his helmet but saw it was missing.
"My helmet! Where is it?!"
"Looking for this?" asked Aladdin, holding it up in front of the furnace door.
"My helmet! Give it to me!"
"Mozenrath ran toward the helmet, but just as he was about to grab it, Aladdin raised it higher. Mozenrath stumbled and fell into the furnace.
"Aladdin!" screamed a dying voice from within the flames. "Al-a--"
And he stopped. Aladdin threw the helmet into the furnace.
"Now you have what you want!"
Mozenrath was gone forever. All that would remain were his worthless ashes and our terrible memories of him. Good riddence.
"If you hadn't saved me," began Aladdin, "he probably would have won, and we would have all died. I can't thank you enough."
I felt like a hero for once...it was truly wonderful to live an adventure again.

Back to index


Chapter 29: Chapter 29

Chapter Twenty-Nine


With Mozenrath gone for good, Aladdin had no more threats for a long time. Troy and Clara announced the date for their wedding to be the coming summer on Troy's nineteenth birthday. It was unbelievable how quickly that time went, and it was a week before the set date. Troy was extremely excited and anxiously awaited the day.
"Come dress for your brother's wedding shower," said Jasmine as she stood in the doorway of Anna's room.
"I don't want to go to his stupid shower. It's his wedding. Let him enjoy it."
"Anna! Why must you act so sour toward Troy? He's your brother."
"Yeah? And I'm his sister and nothing but a lonely princess. Do you really think any of this matters to me? I'll never be ruler of this city!"
"Anna...oh! Fine! Be like that!"
Jasmine left the room rather angered by her own daughter's refusal. Anna had always been the harder child to please. She appeared selfish and stubborn, but I felt sorry for the poor girl.
"Anna, you must feel very hurt right now, but one day this all will change."
"How can you be so sure? You don't know the least about my problems."
"One day you will find somebody to love, and he will love you. Look how beautiful you are, just like your mother. She felt trapped and lonely, but look who she wound up marrying. Your father was always kind to her and would do anything to protect her."
"Iago, I know you are trying to help me, but I don't need anyone's help. What you tell me may be true for some people, but not all. What about you, for example?"
"Me?"
"You don't love anyone romantically."
"You are right, but I never found the time in my life to have any type of relationship. I never felt I needed to; besides, I'm not the least bit romantic."
"Do you think a prince would fall in love with me?"
"Of course. If I were human, I would fall in love with you."
Anna laughed at what I had said and replied, "But you're a bird!"
"I know. Now, come on. Let's go to the party."
"Yes."
Anna finished getting ready and soon came down into the ballroom. Troy and Clara stood in their best attire and greeted all the guests. Anna went to her brother with a smile on her face, and he smiled back and hugged her. I saw how content they were, and feeling rather reassured myself, I took a place at a table for dinner. Aladdin looked over to where I was sitting and approached me hastily. He looked quite worried.
"Have you seen Jasmine?"
"No, not since she went into Anna's room."
"I'm worried. She should be here by now for dinner. Will you help me find her?"
"Yes, of course I will."
I began by searching each of the rooms, and when I didn't find her in any of them, I looked outside. Deep in the royal gardens, where the bushes had grown over and had hidden this section from the rest, I found her. She was kneeling and bent over with he head hidden in her hands. There was a large willow tree, and its sagging branches hung over her father's cracked grave. The desolate, gloomy atmosphere saddened my heart, and I felt tears coming to my eyes.
In between Jasmine's loud sobs, I managed to pick up a few heart-breaking words:
"'Twas you, Father, who married my dear husband and I what seems so long ago and indeed is. It was nearly twenty years ago when we celebrated the dawning of a new life together in holy matrimony, believing we would be together forever. And you, so kind and always understanding in your ways, did not last long enough to share years of happiness with us. I fear now that the marriage of my only son shall forge the deaths of Aladdin and myself. And Mother, oh, dear, sweet Mother, I failed to know you long enough, so that one day you would see me grow up. You being so much younger than Father, you could have possibly lived to see the marriages of your grandchildren, but where are you now, Mother? Why have you abandonned me, Father? When I have need of you the most, answer me that."
And she bawled by now, and the tears fell like a waterfall. Should I risk to intrude on her privacy like this? I was sure she needed someone to comfort her; I was not the one. I figured Aladdin would be the only one she would not reject, and I flew off to find him.
"Aladdin, I have found Jasmine."
"Good, but why isn't she with you?"
"That's what I must tell you about. She's by her father's grave crying. I couldn't disturb her. I think it would be best if you went to her."
"Yes."
Aladdin dashed off to Jasmine and found her just as I had left her. When Aladdin moved through the bushes, they rustled, and a stick snapped beneath his feet. Upon hearing the noise, Jasmine gasped.
"Shhh, it's only me," said Aladdin calmly.
"Oh, Dearest. Why do you come here?"
"To find you. Tell me why you have come here."
"My parent are gone, Aladdin. Forever, you know. I'll never see them again. Do you remember what I told you when I stood by you on our wedding day?"
"Of course I do. 'Together forever.'"
"But how can we possibly be together forever? Death has separated us from those we loved so dearly, and we have not seen them since. Our deaths, Aladdin, are bound to do the exact same. We are not immortal; we shall die, too."
"My dear Jasmine, we shall be together forever, have no doubts. You may wonder how I can believe this, but I know this. How did I know you were the one for me? How did I know we would spend our lives together? How do I know that we will always be together? Faith. Even in death, we are one now and forever. There is a place so glorious, so magnificent, above this petty, dying world, where our souls will live together forever and eternally in peace. That is Heaven."
"Heaven is real. My parents are there, and one day I will see them again. Are you sure?"
"Yes. And are you?"
"Yes," said Jasmine, but she had doubt in her voice.

Back to index


Chapter 30: Chapter 30

Chapter Thirty

And so it came to pass that Troy was married. He did not become Sultan right away, because Aladdin was still young enough to reign. As it turned out for Anna, she found a prince to love and was wed to him the following year. She ruled with him in the next kingdom over and was contenet that her wishes were granted. Jasmine withdrew more and more over the following years. She came to dinner less and less, and when brought her food, she could refuse to eat it. Jasmine was overcome with an unknown illness and lay in bed, unable to walk. She was no longer young. At the age of fifty-two, her hair was all gray, and wrinkles had formed around her eyes.
She lay there, helplessly and hopelessly, as her breathing staggered and harshened. Aladdin stayed by her bedside and looked in despair at her face. Her face looked straight up at the ceiling, and her eyes stared at nothing. With his hands on hers, Aladdin, half-believing himself, tried to assure her that everything would be fine.
"You will get over this, my forever dear flower. You will live on..."
"No, Aladdin. I am through fighting. Look, it's Father. And Mother, too. See how they beckon me to join them. Oh, look how beautiful...the white light...so pure...see how it beckons me...come...come..."
"No, Jasmine! No! Don't you leave me!"
She did not respond.
"NO!!!"
For the first time in his life, Aladdin cried, and he not only bore tears, but he drowned himself in sadness. In all this grief, we all cried, and of us all, he cried the most and the hardest the whole time. I wanted so badly to be able to tell him something, but I failed to find any possible words. At Jasmine's funeral, she did not look like she was sleeping. She was too pale and cold, and Aladdin bent over one last time to kiss her on the lips. When the casket was lowered, Aladdin jumped in after it and clung onto the wood.
"I won't leave you now. No!"
"Aladdin, remember. Together forever." Jasmine's voice echoed in his head.
"Together...forever," he said in broken words, and tears streamed down his nose.
He looked back upon the grave of his happiness, Jasmine. The night was settling, and chilly breezes rustled the trees. It only added to Aladdin's greatest burden, and with nothing more left in him to let out, he stopped crying, completely drained and empty. I sat on his shoulder and hugged him gently, and he turned toward me and smiled. Aladdin took his right hand and softly stroked my feathers.
"Thank you for being my friend all these years. You're always here when I need someone," he whispered.
"I would never leave you. Thank you for being one of the only true friends I've ever had."
Once we headed back into the palace, however, Aladdin was again saddened by the sight of everything he saw.
"Our bedroom where we slept side by side for over thirty years...now an empty spot lays beside me. Her old room, her place at the dining table, her throne where she ruled, her deathbed, her grave..."
He fell to his kneels and screamed, ripping off his turban and cape. Then the sound of violent coughing down the hall stopped him.
"Father?!" Aladdin frantically asked.
"My son, it is so nice to see you again. It seems this world has forgotten about this old man, but don't you worry. I am content and at peace. I found my son and have been happy ever since. It seems somehow that the passing of time has put a space between father and son. Oh, listen to this foolish, old man. Aladdin, people always say that if they don't die young, they will die from old age. Set your eyes upon me, my boy. I am an old man of seventy-seven years and worthless to this world. I think I am done. I shall die tonight in my sleep, content and at peace."
"No, Father. Don't you leave me, too. I have just lost my dear wife. Do you really think I need to lose you as well?"
"Goodnight, Aladdin."
"You wouldn't do it, would you? Answer me!"
"'Night."
"Answer me!"
"So long...the journey begins..."
"That's final. You won't die tonight."
Aladdin didn't sleep, and when dawn came, he went to Cassim's room to wake him up.
Cassim did not awaken.

Back to index


Chapter 31: Chapter 31

Chapter Thirty-One


With two deaths within the last week, Aladdin no longer found the strength within himself to be Sultan. So, he retired from his position and gave Troy to the throne. The years to follow were tranquil, and the alliances between kingdoms were strong. Agrabah enjoyed years of peace and prosperity, and for the most part, people were happy. Aladdin smiled at the sights of his grandchildren and enjoyed the time with them. Troy and Clara had three girls, Katrina, Kylina, and Atrina, and finally a boy, Ahari. Anna only had a boy, Milone. There was not much to be said about Aladdin's last few years. When he wasn't with his grandchildren, he was in his room alone. He had never been the same after Jasmine's death and had eventually totally withdrawn himself from society. Genie tried to cheer him up, but he figured it was no use. Genie sadly looked on as his best friend aged, and he himself never did.
"My father was so right," said Aladdin raspy voice. "Old age does cause us all to die."
"Al, I wish I could help you, but my magic isn't powerful enough," Genie frowned.
"No, Genie. It wouldn't be right to make me immortal. It has been so long since I have seen Abu, Sultan, Father, Jasmine...Oh, Jasmine, my darling, here I come home to you."
"Yes, you're right. I just don't want to see you go. Al, you set me free, and I'll never forget how kind you were to me. You were my first real friend."
"Genie, friend...I'll never forget you...you belong right here in my heart with all who I love so dearly. But alas, I must go soon."
"Yes. I understand."
Then Aladdin turned his head and gazed up at me. I flew to his side and looked at him straight in the eyes.
"My lifelong friend...you, too, mean so much to me. I'm glad I gave you the chance to change so long ago. Iago, you amaze me. You have the strongest willpower of anyone I know. You changed so much for the better into someone I admire. I don't think I would have been able to change myself the way you have. You have stayed with me while many others have come and gone. That is true friendship, and I thank you greatly for it."
"Likewise to you, Aladdin. I admire you. It was your patience and kind heart that allowed my reformation. You have always been a true friend and someone I love dearly. You, my friend, were and are the light that guides me through my foggy vision. I don't want to let go, but it would be selfish of me to keep you when you long to join those before you. I can't deny that I surely will miss you will all my heart."
"I will watch down upon you. Remember, I will see you again."
"I look forward to it."
"Now I see clearly as Jasmine did. There she is...hello, my love...my life"...And so the greatest hero who ever lived closed his eyes and died. I am certain that I cried the hardest I ever had in my life. I felt as Aladdin had when he lost Jasmine. I withdrew. It was a repetitve story that came back to haunt and cause the same suffering. My life would end some day, just as had Aladdin's at the age of eighty.

Back to index


Chapter 32: Chapter 32

Chapter Thirty-Two


There is nothing to be said about my last years. It was strange how my death was on the same day as Aladdin's, exactly fourteen years later, making me the same age as he had been. Death had always been something to fear, because it was unknown, but the experience wasn't scary at all. I lay on a bed as Troy, Clara, and their children and grandchildren looked on. I was unconscious and could not see them, but I could hear their voices and could not respond. Suddenly, I could see myself lying there below. I felt myself floating uncontrollably upward. At first, I longed to go back into my body and be with the living, but the farther up I went, the less I felt that way. I had gained some kind of new understanding; I knew what death was and went with it. I desired to see all my long gone friends in Heaven, but just as I felt totally weightless and detached from the world, a heavy weight grabbed my heart, pulling me downward at an incredible speed. I was stopped by a boom when I hit the ground. I stood up without feeling any pain and looked around at my surroundings. I thought myself to be in a damp, dreary cave, but then I saw the greatest fear in my heart: Jafar! He was seated all alone in a heavy fog with his back facing me.
"Jafar!" I gasped loudly.
He turned around and glared at me. I trembled and feared that he would hurt me.
"You have nothing to fear, fool. I cannot hurt you. You're dead."
"I am dead, and you can't harm me! Do you know how relieved I am that I can finally tell you what I think of you without the fear that you could kill me?!"
"I know what you think of me. You killed me, remember? It's your fault I'm in Hell."
"Don't you dare blame me for your problems. That's all you ever did. You created your own Hell by the way you lived your life. I had to destroy you or else you would have killed thousands of others!"
"And your point is? You don't even know the least of it! You were evil once, too. Look at you now. You have become weak."
"Yes, I was evil, and you have no idea how much I regret being like that. I am not weak! I changed myself, and that took a lot of time and willpower. You, on the other hand, are the loser. Look what all your craving for power and money has gotten you--an eternity in Hell!"
"So, you're here, too. You'll suffer as well."
"No! You're wrong like you have always been! I had to face my worst fear before I can go to Heaven, and I am doing that! I have finally proven to you that good shall always reign above evil! Always!"
He was speechless at my words, and his eyes glared hatefully at me as I began to glow. I faded away and entered a realm of pure white light. Before my eyes, the gates of Heaven opened to a place no one can ever imagine and picture in one's dreams. This was and is Heaven...my friends were all there...their families...my family...everyone...and even Genie managed to get there to visit somehow. Aladdin was the first one to run to me.
"You are young again!" I exclaimed.
"As are you!"
Everyone's youth had been restored and would stay that way forever. It was and still is all so very true. I have no doubts now and forever that the greatest truth in the world is that we will be together forever.


The End


Written by Sindie (July 1997 to April 1998)

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.aladdincentral.org/library/viewstory.php?sid=389