Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Trying to Understand by Sindie
[Reviews - 1] Printer

- Text Size +
~Trying to Understand~

~A Little Aladdin Story by Sindie~

"I just don't get it," Aladdin frowned at his friends. "It's been over a year now, and I've tried to understand why he acts this way."

"You've done all you could," Genie comforted. "You know, Al, it's not your fault he is so greedy."

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I just wish there was a way to change him."

"Well, you can't expect a miracle to happen overnight. In time, maybe he will realize that happiness doesn't lie in wealth of gold. You know that."

"Yes, I know that, but so should he. I mean, it seemed at first like everything would just fall into place, you know? I thought he was leaving his old life behind when he decided to be friends with us, but this constant greed, those rude remarks he makes at you and Abu, and so much...I just don't know...Do you think he even appreciates anything?"

They didn't know it, but they were being listened in on by the one of their discussion. Iago looked at them in comtempt and turned away.

"Is that what you think of me, Aladdin?" he asked himself. "If that's so, then maybe I should just leave. I don't need to listen to this."

He turned and flew out the window as the sun was setting. He didn't know where he was going, but all he knew was that he had to get away. What did they know anyway? They didn't really understand him at all, or so he felt. He was angry at the whole world just then, and when he let his anger get the worst of him, the result was never pretty. Iago stormed out of town in silence to the exterior but in a rage within himself. If this was the type of harsh unfairness that life was going to dish out to him, he just didn't need it. He would prove to the world somehow and someday how wrong they were, and they would be proud of him because why, he would be rich and powerful.

"Then who will be laughing?" he muttered.

He stopped when he came to an oasis and looked down at the refreshing water. It looked so tempting to just be able to jump into the water and cool off against the hot, dry climate of the desert. Iago looked around cautiously, and when he saw no one was around, he went into the water and enjoyed the serenity of the place. When it came time for him to leave the pool, he sat on the edge and looked at his reflection in the water.

"Who am I kidding?" he asked himself. "Am I deceiving myself? Look at me, there's no way I could ever be important. I guess sometimes those dreams are all I have that keep me going. I don't feel like I belong anywhere, except alone. It's almost like they only tolerate me and nothing else...I just don't know, but how can I tell them? I was never shown how to express my feelings when I was with Jafar. I feel like I should blame someone for all these feelings and all these problems. Maybe if I were someone else, things would be different..."

With those feelings flowing through his mind, Iago fell asleep that night in the oasis. He had never before really given himself the time to be alone and to reflect these types of things.

Back in Agrabah, Aladdin returned to his hovel and looked around.

"I just don't get it," he began. "Where could he be?"

"I don't know, Al," Genie replied. "Maybe he's just off searching for some treasure."

"Maybe...but why would he leave without telling me? Most of the time, I can't keep him quiet, and now, this is just strange...for him to disappear in silence."

"Well, it's late. Maybe he'll return tomorrow morning."

"I guess you're right, Genie. Well, good night."

When the morning came, Iago stretched as he opened his eyes. He looked around in confusion for a moment and then remembered where he was. He didn't know what to do. This was another day, and he tried to imagine running off somewhere and starting a new life. Yeah, right, he thought, knowing my luck, I'll probably wind up as someone's dinner by sundown.

He tried his best to piece together all that had been going through his mind the past day. He had to admit that this little trip was something he needed, but now he felt at the end of it. Where would he go? Who would want him around? He then remembered something he had forgotten the past day or so.

"Aladdin," he said to himself. "He's the reason why I left, or is he? Am I blaming this on him? But...no, that just can't be right. He's not the type of person who would cause pain. In fact, he was the first person who ever showed me what friendship is. I have to admit that. What am I doing here anyway? I should be back in Agrabah. That's my home and where my friends are, and I can't leave them."

His mind was made up. He was going back to Agrabah. When he did arrived there later that day, he noticed that Aladdin was alone in the hovel. Iago landed in the window and looked at him.

"Were you looking for me?" Iago asked.

Aladdin was shocked when he heard Iago's voice, and he turned around.

"Where were you?" he asked. "We've been looking all over for you. In fact, that's where Genie and the guys are right now...looking for you. I figured I would stay here in case you came back."

"You mean, you were actually looking for me? But I thought you didn't want me around."

"What would make you think that?" Aladdin was puzzled.

"Well, I...uh...I heard what you were saying about me the other day. I didn't know what to do, so I just left. It didn't seem like you cared if I was around."

"Oh, Iago," Aladdin sighed, "I'm sorry you had to hear that. It's not that we didn't want you around. It's just that sometimes, well, you have this way of..."

"I know. You don't have to explain it to me. I know what I'm like, and there is a lot about me that you don't know about. You really don't know me that well."

"Well, if you'd just tell us if something's bothering you..."

"It's not that simple. I can tell you more than anyone else because you are one of the few people I actually trust. The truth is, I envy you. I mean, you've got it all. One day you'll be the sultan and be powerful and rich, plus you have the woman of your dreams. Not everyone is so lucky. But you are also so brave and people admire you, and then there's me. I'd like to believe there was something more to me than just this."

"I've never heard you say so many deep things to me, Iago, but I'm glad you are. I've known that things must not be easy for you to adjust to, but I've noticed the little hints you drop every so often. You may not realize it, but your heart is bigger than you are willing to admit. You are afraid to admit it because you don't believe in yourself. I understand that very well. I'm a lot like that, too. It's just been recently that I've had the chance to show it more. Don't be afraid of your feelings, okay?"

"I'll try...but I can't guarantee perfection overnight."

"No one is perfect, but you have come a long way. There's a lot ahead of us, but look, if we stay friends, at least we will have that."

"You're right," Iago smiled. "Look, don't tell the others about this, okay? I'd rather tell them on my own one day, but until then, let's just keep this as our little secret."

"Okay."

The chance to understand how the mind and heart work came and it never left.

Disclaimer: All Aladdin characters are property of Disney and were used without permission, but they were used with love and care as always.