Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Gone by Katie Ann
[Reviews - 6] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +
Gone ___________________________________________

  The blazing heat beat down upon the back of Aladdin’s neck. The sun lit the sky and heated the sand. It heated it- for any other word couldn't describe the temperature of the grains of rock under Aladdin’s feet. The heat rose from the ground and suffocated Aladdin, for the heat was so extreme and so sickening, Aladdin felt as though he might fall and never get back up.

Just another day in the desert.

It was nearly nighttime, but still the heat lingered in the air and on the ground. Aladdin thought he would never get away from the burning feeling the heat gave him. He looked down at his feet, which fortunately were covered with shoes. He was glad that he had bought them before he left, even if they didn't abolish all the heat from his toes. But that was fine, since he hadn't paid too much for them anyway.

Wiping the beads of sweat that were pouring from his forehead with the back of his hand, Aladdin gazed up from the ground to view the city. He was on the outskirts, near the canyon just outside the large conurbation. The palace covered much of his view, and he couldn't take his eyes off it. It was where he belonged. Not in the palace really, but with the person who lived there.

Jasmine.

With her on his mind, he found new strength he thought he had lost. He took a deep breath and moved his feet again, trudging back to his home and back to his life, which he hadn't visited in too long.

He was now only a minute outside the city and his heart rose and his spirits lifted as he got closer. Finally, he would be home again, and he could relax. After all the time he had spent away, he could now rest and be happy once more. He approached the gates of the city, where he received many curious looks from the guards on duty there. But he couldn't even react to them, for it was too much effort. He just kept walking, lifting one foot, then the other, until he stepped into the city limits.

A sense of relief swept past him as he entered, even though he knew he was still at least fifteen minutes from seeing all those he loved. Still, he loved the city, and the people in the city. He just reminded himself of the time left until he would see everyone again, and he kept lifting his feet and kept trudging along.

It was an hour away from night, but the city still bustled with liveliness. It was the cooler part of the day, and all the merchants wanted to sell a little bit more before they retired to the night. The people wanted to get a few more errands out of the way before they returned home for dinner with their families. Everyone was focusing on their new task, that hardly anyone noticed Aladdin as he slowly crept past them. The few that did see him gasped and rushed quickly to one side. Aladdin didn't even notice. It was too much effort to notice.

He walked further. As he got closer and closer to the heart of the city, more and more people began to become aware of him. Again, he was oblivious. People gasped and cried out, people smiled and clapped their hands in delight, and others were stricken with confusion at seeing him. But everyone eventually saw him.

The ones that knew who he was pointed him out to their friends and acquaintances. “Look!” They said. “There is Aladdin! He has returned to Agrabah! But how?”

“Aladdin? Who is he?”

“You've no knowledge of him? Why, he is the greatest hero this side of the seven deserts!”

“doesn't look like a hero to me. Look at him, he’s so tired and dirty. Besides, he isn't even dressed as a hero. He is dressed as a street rat.”

“But he is a street rat! A street rat gone hero!”

“What ridiculous nonsense. You've been under the sun too long today.”

“But I tell you, he is the greatest hero this city has ever seen!”

Children gawked at him like children do. They tugged on their parent’s arm and pointed too. “Look Mama! Who is that? Is he a soldier?”

Their parents looked up and gasped. “How did he return?”

Aladdin was not met by any of the people. They stayed back and pointed at him, rather than greeting him with open arms. He noticed it finally, but he didn't want to comprehend their squabble at the moment. He wanted to get to the palace and see his friends and loved ones. He could deal with the confusion of the citizens later.

Aladdin past by a familiar stand now. It was full of fruit, and the merchant who was working it sighed when he saw Aladdin. “Come back now street rat? You might want to go to your hovel before you go to the palace. you'll be surprised!”

Aladdin took in what Omar said. He knew Omar well and had stolen from him quite a few times when he hadn't any food. Aladdin looked at the merchant to see him look away from Aladdin, as though it were too painful for him to gaze at his face. Aladdin walked closer to the stand and glanced at the fruit on the cart.

Omar saw him glimpse at his products and grabbed a ripe, red apple. He handed it to Aladdin. “Here, take this. I'm sure the whole city owes you for whatever you did to save us out in the desert.” Aladdin hesitated, then took the apple from Omar. “don't be in such a hurry to get home, Aladdin. You might not like what you see.” Aladdin looked up at Omar with the weariest eyes Omar had ever seen. It was as if Aladdin’s body kept going, and his eyes were the only truth of how tired he was.

Omar looked away from Aladdin again, and began putting things way, for the sun was nearly set and he was done selling for the day. “Go home, Aladdin. Go see everyone you love. Maybe it will take the blankness out of your eyes.”

Aladdin, more confused as ever but not wanting to stand there all night and think about what Omar had just said, began to walk away. He turned back after a few steps, nodded to Omar, and then began the longest walk he had ever taken- to the palace, some 100 yards away.

To Aladdin, an eternity passed with every step he took. The sand was starting to cool from the setting of the sun and the rising of the moon, but to Aladdin it grew thicker and hotter, halting his tread more and more. The laughter and the whispers were dying away now, and the only noises Aladdin could hear (or the only noises he chose to hear) were the sounds coming from each house he passed, each family he elapsed.

Finally, he had made it to the palace gates, which surrounded the large stronghold from the unwanted strangers. At the moment, Aladdin felt like a stranger, and he was hesitant to go any further. Perhaps he should have turned and gone to his hovel first? Maybe he should have waited until morning to see everyone? But he knew he could wait no longer, and the lingering only made his hungry need to see Jasmine and all those he loved even greater.

The gate was heavier than he remembered, and it took a bit of effort to push it open. He had it just about all the way ajar when a hand grabbed him from behind and pulled him around.

“And just what do you think you're doing, stranger?” Rasoul asked Aladdin, not realizing who he was until Aladdin had straightened up.

“Stranger? I think that hurts more than street rat.” Aladdin grinned at the coincidence and folded his arms across his chest. “But stranger is a nice touch considering I haven't seen you in a while.”

Rasoul let out a gasp when he recognized Aladdin, and stepped back when Aladdin spoke to him. He put his hand on his sword, but didn't pull it all the way out. “How can it be?”

Aladdin gave him an inquisitive look and took a step towards him. “What’s wrong Rasoul? It’s me, Aladdin... remember?”

Rasoul put up an arm, as if to shield himself from Aladdin. “Yes, I remember, but....”

Aladdin took another step forward and Rasoul took another step back. “But what?”

Rasoul gulped and moved back again. “I think you should go see the princess.” With that, he turned on his heel and hurriedly jogged away from Aladdin. He stopped at a corner, gave Aladdin one last look, shook his head, then left Aladdin’s sight.

Aladdin stood there for a second and was dumbfounded. “Okay....” He walked past the huge, blue gate and closed it when he got inside. “Maybe Rasoul should stay out there, I think there’s something wrong with him...”

He gave a shrug and quickly jogged up to the palace door. Again, there weren't many guards around, and Aladdin let himself in quietly.

He half stepped into the throne room as he stopped short in the doorway when he heard the sound of her laugh. Only his head and upper body were visible past the door as he searched the room sharply to find her.

Jasmine was sitting on a large pillow next to the dining table brought out every night, and her smile was evident from across the room. Her father, the Sultan, was at the head of the table, facing Aladdin, and he also was grinning largely, as though he and his daughter had just shared a common thought and found it humorous. Genie was floating in the air next to the Sultan, laying on his side beaming as well.

“Okay! Okay! So turning Iago into a monkey to punish him for stealing from the royal treasure room might be a little bit extreme, but...”

“...it’s funny!” Jasmine finished for Genie, putting her hand over her mouth to stop the laughter.

The Sultan shook slightly as he quietly laughed too. “Now Genie, I'm sure Iago learned his lesson... I doubt he will steal from the royal treasure room-”

“For a few weeks. Father, Iago has tried to steal again and again and again! Why won't you realize this too?”

“Dearest, Iago has a thieving nature. It’s all right. Just leave him as a monkey for... oh.... Three weeks and I can bet he will never do anything like this again!”

“I suppose.... But you must admit Father, this is funny!” Jasmine pointed humorously at her father, who nodded his head.

“Yes, seeing a monkey with a beak is rather amusing...”

Aladdin watched the three laugh happily and found himself silently laughing too. He was so glad to see them again that he continued standing in the doorway, afraid of breaking up the precious moment that he sorely missed.

“Now, Jasmine, you must tell me about what happened in Presse. I must know what happened with-” The Sultan cut short his statement when he noticed Aladdin in the doorway. He put a hand up much like Rasoul did. “By Allah...”

Jasmine was giggling at her father when she noticed his odd expression. She stopped laughing and looked at him curiously. “What’s wrong, Father?”

Genie looked at the Sultan too, then followed his eyes to where they were fixed. Genie saw Aladdin and fell out of the air.

Jasmine saw Genie hit the ground and looked back at the door. She saw Aladdin and her eyes grew large and her mouth dropped open in surprise. Genie brought his head out of the floor and looked up again at his friend. Aladdin, realizing that he was caught, came out of the doorway and walked forward a bit.

“Aladdin?” Genie was standing now, rooted to the spot, with a confused look on his face.

“Hey Genie...” was all Aladdin could get out. He looked at Genie and smiled when he saw his expression. “It hasn't been that long, has it?”

“Aladdin... my boy, you're back! But how?” The Sultan seemed to be the first to respond with intelligence, as he hopped up off his cushion and ran over to Aladdin. He grabbed Aladdin’s arm and pulled him down to shake his hand. He let go when he realized what he was doing and hugged Aladdin friendly.

Aladdin bent down to hug the Sultan, but kept his eyes on Jasmine the entire time. She had both hands over her mouth and her eyes were reflecting with tears. She stayed back though, and made no effort to move. As the Sultan let Aladdin go, Genie came whizzing over and picked Aladdin up. He twirled him in the air and hugged him tightly. “Aladdin! Kid! you're back! And you're front! you're both here!”

Aladdin spun in the air with Genie and gasped for breath when Genie hugged him tightly. “I'm back Genie...”

Genie tossed him into the air and caught him. “I can't believe it! My buddy is back!” He changed into a mother-figure that oddly resembled Edith Bunker from All in the Family. “Oh! I'm so glad you're back! How was your day, dear?”

Aladdin raised his eyebrows, but smiled. He was glad to see Genie’s antics again.

Genie changed back and grabbed one of Aladdin’s hands and swung him around. “My buddy is back! He’s back, he’s back, he’s back...” He was dancing around and dropped Aladdin to the floor as he continued his cheer. “He’s back, he’s alive, he’s still his same old size...” Genie stopped for a second. “What else rhymes with alive?”

The Sultan shrugged. “Thrive?”

Genie shook his head. “No, I don't think I could make that work.” Genie stuck his tongue out as he concentrated. “Wait, what about, 'Into our hearts he still has dived? No, that doesn't work... maybe if I don't use alive...”

Aladdin picked himself off the floor and dusted off his pants. He chuckled at Genie as he raised his head. His eyes met Jasmine’s almost instantly and he froze when he saw her. Genie and the Sultan looked over at the two. Jasmine was now standing and her mouth was still open in surprise and wonderment; Aladdin had a look of slight fear- as though he was afraid of her reaction to him again.

Jasmine took a step towards him. “Is it really you?” She whispered.

Aladdin gulped and nodded. “It’s really me Jasmine.”

She kept walking towards him, slowly. She was a few paces away. “Say it again.”

Aladdin’s eyebrows knitted together. “Say what again?”

Jasmine took one more step forward. “My name. I've been praying I could hear you say my name one last time.”

Aladdin’s eyes were already filled with love, and now his voice filled with it too. “Jasmine...”

Jasmine choked out a cry and ran over to Aladdin. She jumped into his arms and cried into his chest. He picked her up and held her tightly, kissing the side of her head and slowly rocking her back and forth. The rest of the world was forgotten as Aladdin and Jasmine reunited: he held her close, afraid to let her go again, and she cried softly onto his heart, afraid of ever being away from it once more.

Jasmine stopped crying after a few minutes, but stayed in Aladdin’s arms. She was so comforted being held by him, that she forgot everything and was lost in him. Lost in his arms, lost in his scent, lost in the feeling she had as he held her closely. She whispered into his ear. “Is this a dream? Are you really here?”

Aladdin took her head in his hands and she looked up away from his chest and stared into his eyes. “I'm really here, my Princess. But this feels like a dream anyway.”

She held his hands as he lovingly caressed her cheek. “I thought I lost you forever...”

Aladdin shook his head. “you'll never lose me, Jasmine. I'll love you until the day the earth dies. I'll always be by your side.” He hugged her tightly again and she began to cry once more.

Carpet, Abu and a very disfigured Iago (who resembled a half-bird half-monkey) came bursting through the door. “What’s all the commotion? Jeesh, you'd think we're having a party in here...” Iago stopped short as he saw Jasmine hugging someone and crying. Aladdin’s back was to them and Iago, Abu and Carpet couldn't see his face. “What the...”

As Iago spoke, Aladdin moved back from Jasmine, and turned around. As soon as Iago and Abu saw Aladdin’s face, they gasped and stepped back. Iago rubbed his eyes with the backs of his hands, blinking, thinking his eyes were deceiving him. Abu simply stood there, too surprised to move, too stunned to think. Both animals looked like they had seen a ghost- the ghost of their closest friend come back to them once more.

Aladdin, trying to ease off some of the awkwardness of the moment, shrugged his shoulders and smiled slightly. “Hey guys...”

It was as if a gun had just gone off. Abu and Iago both let out boisterous yells and ran as fast as they could to Aladdin, almost knocking him down in fright. Abu leaped onto Aladdin’s shoulder, circled his neck, and wrapped his tiny arms around Aladdin’s head, hugging tightly. Iago flew up and then back down (his wings now only being able to carry him so far, as they weren't really wings anymore), grabbing hold of Aladdin’s leg and squeezing it firmly.

“Al! Oh Al, you're alive!”

Genie, sensing a “group-hug” moment, took hold of Jasmine and the Sultan’s hands and threw them onto Aladdin. “Everyone, in together now!” He shouted, picking up the large and fumbling group, too shaken for words at the sight of their true friend and companion.

Eventually it was Iago who called everyone off after a few minutes. “Okay, that’s enough mushy stuff. Okay... GET OFF NOW.” The Sultan stepped back somewhat as Iago shouted. “Thank you. I think I've managed to keep some of my spine intact...”

Genie was too cheerful to be anything but that. He was simply bouncing off the walls, crying out in delight whenever he saw Aladdin out of the corner of his eye, smiling all the way through. “I can't believe it! Al! Little buddy! HE’S...BACK!”

There was laughter all around, and a few sniffles from Jasmine, who didn't seem to be capable of composing herself just yet. Aladdin looked at her, the thing he treasured most in the entire world, and held her hand. He almost regretted it for as soon as he did Jasmine started bawling again, surrounding Aladdin with her arms once more.

The dinner on the table lay forgotten as everyone in the room was marveling at the return of the best friend they knew. The Sultan, the only one who seemed to be able to produce full, coherent, and sane sentences, called for the guards and the servants. “Everyone in here!” Rasoul and a few of the servants nearby quickly gathered round. “Rasoul, you are to alert the city as soon as possible tomorrow morning that there will be an announcement concerning Aladdin’s return. Kader,” he said, addressing a servant to his left, “go and prepare Aladdin’s chamber- I want him to have the best night’s sleep he has ever had tonight. And Abet,” he glanced at the small, greasy servant to his left, “I want you to take care of some of the items in the room farthest from the west wing. I trust you know of what I speak.” The greasy servant nodded, and headed for his destination.

The other servants obeyed immediately, all hurrying off to follow the Sultan’s orders. Rasoul bowed roughly and muttered something about not wanting to celebrate the return of a street rat, but even he seemed pleased to see Aladdin yet again. Aladdin saw none of this, as he was so busy holding Jasmine and having all his fondest dreams come true.

Genie was besides himself with happiness. He was bouncing off the walls of the room, picking Aladdin up and putting him down, throwing food in the air, and being more Genie than Aladdin had ever seen him be. There were nearly tears in his eyes whenever he looked at Aladdin, and his words were cut off with laughs and cheers. “I can't believe- you're back! Little buddy! I never- but how? But why? Who cares! you're back!”

Abu chattered happily around Aladdin as well, sitting on his shoulder and then running off to hit Iago excitedly, who in turn would chase him about the room. More of the dinner was ruined this way as well, but as soon as Aladdin had been spotted, nearly everyone had lost their appetite.

Everything was wonderful to Aladdin too, but uncertainties began to cloud his mind after a while. His friends were too cheerful, the Sultan was acting as though his own son had returned, and even the servants were acting more merry than he had ever seen them act. Which began to bother Aladdin.

Of course, Aladdin was thankful of all the happiness he gave to his friends, and he wasn't angry at all the bliss occurring in his honor- just suspicious. Perhaps he had been away while something major had happened? Maybe Mozenrath had attacked while he was away? Was a sand monster assaulting the city and stealing all the children? What the heck was going on?

But one look in Jasmine’s eyes was all he needed to forget these troublesome qualms. Certainly it was an enigma to find everyone so happy he had returned- especially since he hadn't thought he had been gone for a long time. He had assumed the amount of time he had been away was minor- he probably had been away much longer than this past trip- and that everyone would say nice things about his arrival and then everything would be back to normal. Which was when he spotted the turban.

He had been looking at Genie (who in turn had been turning himself into random things in all his delight of seeing Aladdin) when out of the corner of his eye he had spotted something red. Something VERY red. The color so contrasted with the marble walls of the palace that he could hardly believe had hadn't seen it before.

It was a turban- sitting on a table in the next hall across from him. The door had been left slightly ajar by a servant and Aladdin’s eyes slowly fixated upon it. No one else noticed it- Genie was running around again, Iago was throwing dinner plates at Abu who was running around the Sultan’s feet, Carpet was trying to save Abu, and Jasmine was hugging Aladdin tightly, almost draining his breath.

But there it was- a deep, blood red turban sitting in the hallway on a table next to the room he was now in. However, the question wasn't of why it was there, but who it belonged to.

Jasmine pulled back to look into Aladdin’s eyes, and he found his eyes automatically drawn to her own. Tears had covered her cheeks and reddened her eyes, and yet he still found that her face was the most beautiful thing he had ever looked at. It’s beauty was something that he had truly missed after his short leave, and couldn't believe he had gone so long without looking into her eyes and staring into her soul.

“I can't believe you're back...” she whispered to him, almost afraid that the words would drive him away.

“Oh, but you can believe it Jasmine. I'm back here now, and I'm never going to leave again.”

Her eyes had closed when he had said this and then opened slowly again to look right at him- her stare piercing through his very being. “you'll never leave? Do you promise?”

He chuckled slightly and pulled back a loose strand of her hair from her face. “I promise that I will never leave you alone again, my princess. I promise that everyday you shall find me with you, and that whenever the sun sets you shall find me close to your heart. Always.”

More tears climbed down her face and she smiled as the words soaked in. “Then that’s enough for me, Aladdin. That is enough for me.”

Her eyes traveled to his lips and she kissed him deeply- she not wanting to let his lips leave hers and he wanting to forever take in her taste, salty tears and all.

_________________________________________________________

Aladdin walked through the palace, his hand in Jasmine’s, taking in everything he had forgotten. True, he had hardly be gone a long time, he thought, so not much had changed. But he saw everything in a new light now. His time away from his friends and loved ones had made him forget what it was liked to be loved. His time away from Jasmine had made him forget what it was like to be happy.

The tables were decorated with cloths and vases, the windows held new air, and Aladdin felt whole again. This was where he should have always been, and this was where he was always going to be. Starting now.

Jasmine was showing him to his sleeping corridors, which were conveniently near her own. He knew his bedroom would be the same as it always had been, the room at the end of the hall, but he still allowed Jasmine to show him to it, as though he couldn't remember. He smiled down her at, as she kept her focus on the steps in front of her. She had given up looking at his face a little while ago, and he had refrained from drawing her eyes to him because every time she even got the slightest look of him, her eyes filled with tears all over again. He figured it would still be some time before she was able to act like she normally did, and he was willing to give her that time.

He passed by a large empty room with an underwater theme, another bedroom with red silk covering nearly every inch of it, a room with a large bath in the center, and another hallway until finally he found familiar landmarks. He saw the large picture of the palace and city near the huge blue doors and knew he had arrived at Jasmine’s sleeping quarters. She sniffed a little as she turned and pointed down another hallway to the door at the end where he would be staying for the night.

“I thought you might like the bedroom with the other balcony. That way you could sleep next to it, if you'd want to, like you do normally.”

He turned to her, and his eyebrow went up slightly. “Like I normally do?”

She choked back tears when he had starting talking, but then turned to him with a smile on her face. “You know, in your hovel? The large window that you sleep next to? I thought you would be used to that.”

Frankly, he wasn't used to walking in the palace again, but he smiled widely at her thoughtfulness and squeezed her hand tightly. “I would like that. Thank you.”

She looked to the floor and he looked over the window- the uneasiness seemed to have come back. For some reason or another, she wasn't used to seeing him just yet, and she had continually looked at the floor whenever there was an awkward pause. Like now.

Aladdin thought of something quickly, and drew back his free hand to the vase behind him. He pulled on a flower, and brought it before her. Jasmine looked up and smiled at the sight of it.

“The most beautiful flower, for the most beautiful lady.”

She looked at the flower, then up at him with a pleased look on her face. Aladdin, bemused, looked down and noticed that the flower he had intended to pick from the vase was actually shriveled and dead. “Uh....”

She laughed and took the dead plant from his hands. “It’s lovely. I wouldn't change a thing.” She giggled again as she held it away from her, taking in a full view look. He smiled again, and put his hand below her chin to turn her towards him.

“Neither would I.” He stared into her eyes again and she smiled broadly, the tears quickly evaporating from her face.

“Even after all this time, you're still throwing out cheesy love lines?”

He looked at her, somewhat confused as she pulled away a little, though the smile on her face she couldn't hide. She laughed as she added, “And after all this time I'm still falling for them.” She giggled once more and pushed herself up against him. She wiped some of the dirt off his face with the back of her hand, and then stopped. Her smile quickly vanished as they locked eyes and became still.

Aladdin slowly caressed the side of her face and held her cheek in his hand. “It feels so good to see you all over again. I can't believe we ever parted.”

Jasmine sighed into the side of his hand and cast her eyes downward. “I can.”

Aladdin pulled her face over to look at him and he saw the tears bordering her eyes. “What’s wrong, Jasmine?”

Jasmine sniffed and focused her stare onto Aladdin’s chest. “Nothing. Everything is fine. Everything is just as it was before.”

Aladdin was confused again. “Is that a bad thing?”

Jasmine looked up again to answer but couldn't get anything out. They heard a loud noise on one side, and they turned to face Jasmine’s bedchamber door. They saw the swish of blue mist and a small squeak that sounded oddly familiar.

Aladdin dropped his hands from Jasmine’s face and laughed. “Genie...”

A small voice came from inside the almost closed door. “Nope...no Genie here....you're hearing things...no one here....”

Aladdin smiled over at Jasmine as she chortled, then he joined in as he walked up to the door. “Oh, yeah, you're probably right, Jasmine. The guys wouldn't be right behind this door. Because if they were, it would hurt when I did this.” He suddenly pushed the door over hard and heard it hit something solid. There was a muffled 'Ow!’ as the door swung back to close again. Aladdin, amused, hit the door open one last time and watched as it almost opened completely, but managed to hit something once more.

There was another stifled mutter as three eavesdroppers came around the door, each rubbing a specific part of their bodies, where the door had obviously hit. Genie was the first to respond. “Gosh, Al, I wish you wouldn't have hit the door open so hard...”

Aladdin put a hand to his cheek, acting shocked. “Did I hit you, Genie? I thought no one was there. I mean, no one told me so.”

Genie looked up, blushed slightly and then grinned. “No one told you so, huh? Are you hearing things, Al? Do little voices like that speak to you a lot?” He turned himself into a doctor, oddly taking after Patch Adams. He pushed a flashlight into Aladdin’s face. “Hmm, pupils in good condition.” He checked Aladdin’s pulse and pulled out his tongue. “Heartbeat good- tongue normal looking.” He began writing on a tab. “Take three aspirin tonight and don't yell at me in the morning.”

Iago walked around Genie’s foot (now looking perfectly normal again, with no monkey tail) and held onto his leg to steady himself. “I don't know what’s talking to Al, but my head sure is talking to me. It was awfully nice of you, Aladdin, to hit the door twice, by the way. As if the first time the door slammed into my skull wasn't painful enough...”

Aladdin smirked at the parrot. “I thought it was awfully nice of that no one person to be eavesdropping on a private conversation, too.”

Iago shook his head and then grinned when he recalled the moment he heard Jasmine and Aladdin share. “Oh, yeah, Romeo you were looking good. You should be thankful no one bothered you. One more minute and I think you would've ended up farming. It was getting so corny in there, I was surprised monkey-boy hadn't rushed in there to eat it all.”

Abu, who had been leaning on Genie’s other foot, growled loudly and jumped for Iago. Iago instinctively flew up and landed on Aladdin’s shoulder. He soon wished he hadn't as he was hastily covered in dust. “Geesh, I wonder where you could've been. IN A DESERT MUCH? I mean, just because we live here, doesn't mean you gotta roll around in the sand. First off, it’s called a bath- you could've at least showed some thoughtfulness by cleaning up before you came back-” But Aladdin never got to hear the rest. A large, straw bag with CORN written across it abruptly covered Iago’s head and he fell to the ground.

They all giggled as Iago struggled to free himself, yelling out every so often. Jasmine, however, was one of the first to stop laughing. Her eyes focused on Aladdin as he continued his laughter, watching his every move. The brims of her eyes glistened with tears and she sighed deeply. He was home at last, and she still couldn't understand how or even why. But Allah had decided to grant her every pray and hope for the last six years.

Aladdin suddenly became aware that Jasmine had ceased her laughing and looked over at her. She had her eyes closed and was crying silently. Genie saw this as well, and grabbed Abu and the bag with Iago still inside, and quickly hurried into the next room, giving Aladdin and Jasmine some time to themselves.

But he needn’t have left- Jasmine simply opened her eyes once more, moved to Aladdin, gave him a kiss on the cheek, and strode into her bedroom, closing the door behind her. Aladdin stood there, staggered, and wondering how long it would be before Jasmine would act normal around him again. After all, he had only been gone for a few months.

___________________________________________________________

Aladdin had decided he had never slept better in his entire life. He had remembered that the bed was soft and comfortable, but he was sure that had nothing to do with it. He was home, he was with his friends, and no matter if he had slept on rocks, he would have gotten the best night’s sleep he had ever had.

The desert sun shone brightly behind the cloth substituting a door to the balcony. Aladdin smiled as he got out of bed when he remembered where he was, and when he remembered that he was about to get up and spend all day with the woman he loved and the friends he loved as well.

He quickly got dressed into a new outfit that had been laid out for him, and he rushed into the hall to find Jasmine. He was practically running to see her, but he swiftly slowed down when he almost collided with her.

“Wow! Hey Jasmine, where’s the fire?”

She smiled up at him and bit her lip. “I could ask you the same.” Aladdin smirked and then stepped back slightly as Jasmine immediately wrapped her arms around his neck. She kissed the side of his head as she grabbed for his hand and pulled him to start walking with her. “Did you sleep well?”

“I think I've never slept better before in my entire life.”

She continued smiling. It was all she seemed capable of doing now that her tears had all dried up and the two had been reunited. “Good.”

They past a maid who was on her way to see the princess herself. “You called for me, Princess?”

Jasmine and Aladdin stopped. “Yes, Aula. I wanted you to send this letter for me. I trust you know who to.” She handed the woman a letter with a red stamp on it (one Aladdin had failed to notice before), then gave the maid a sharp look. “Send this as fast as you can.” Aula nodded and then headed into another hallway. Jasmine quickly started walking again.

“What was that about?” Aladdin asked, as he was pulled along by Jasmine’s hand.

“I forgot to send a letter to one of our allies. Father has been trusting me with things like that for some time now, and I was foolish to have forgotten.”

Aladdin was confused for the umpteenth time since he had gotten back, and his curiosity wasn't strong enough to question anything just yet. Jasmine had just spoken very strangely, though it was the words and the tone she said them in that had taken Aladdin off guard. But he had no time to inquire as he and Jasmine walked through the hall and into the dining hall. He saw the Sultan and Genie already there, and was soon seated with Jasmine next to him.

The Sultan has smiled when he saw Aladdin and had sat him down directly to his right. “Come, come now, my boy, sit down, sit down. Rasoul has just been off to announce to the city of your arrival. I trust you slept well last night?”

“Yes, I did. I don't think I've slept that well in months now.” Aladdin answered cheerfully, happy to see that the Sultan was acting so nice to him. But the Sultan gave him a curious look, before shaking his head and going on.

“Very good. Well, I suppose breakfast will be served shortly, and then perhaps you can tell us all about your travels, hmm?”

Aladdin smiled at him again as another servant brought out a large platter filled with eggs, breads and everything else under the desert sun that Aladdin could possibly want. He had forgotten exactly how hungry he was last night because of all the excitement, but now his stomach soon reminded him. He had a bit of everything as small talk was made around the table. Genie enlightened them with jokes they had heard him tell dozens of times (but which all got roaring laughs from the Sultan, who seemed to have forgotten them), and amused them with imitations of Iago when he had looked like Abu.

But after the food was all eaten, and all stomachs were bursting to the brim, the Sultan brought up the subject that everyone (except maybe Aladdin) was anxious to hear. Jasmine, so apprehensive to hear about Aladdin’s sudden disappearance so long ago, hadn't eaten anything at all.

In fact, she looked almost sick. A numbness appeared to have taken over her body, and she sat still, slightly rocking back and forth. Aladdin had noticed quickly, as had everyone else, but the Sultan and the others seemed almost used to it.

“So, Aladdin. Since your return as of last night, we've all been wondering how you got back.” He paused, thinking. “Actually, we were all wondering where you had gone to as well. I must say, it is certainly surprising to see you alive and well.”

Aladdin looked up at the Sultan, confused (what was it, the twentieth time now?). “Surprised to see me alive and well?”

“Yes. I mean, no. I mean... you were gone for so long... of course we thought you were...” The Sultan gave his daughter a grave look, as her rocking stopped at the mention of Aladdin death. “My boy, you were gone for six long years.”

Aladdin’s mouth dropped wide open. “Six years?” He turned to Genie. “Six years?”

Genie gave him a strange look, and nodded. “You've been gone for six years, pal. didn't you know that?”

Aladdin closed his mouth and looked straight at the table in front of him. “I was not gone for six years. Six months, maybe, but certainly not six years.”

Jasmine had tears flowing freely down her face now. She even gave a small sob at the thought of Aladdin having only been gone for six months. “You were gone six years. I counted the days myself. 2,264 days, four hours and forty-seven minutes.”

The Sultan and Genie gave Jasmine a piteous look, as though they felt sorry for her. Aladdin gave a snort. “You counted the days? Jasmine, I was not gone for six years.”

She gave another sob, and turned to look at him. “You were gone for six years, Aladdin. I celebrated my twenty-third birthday one month ago. You had your twenty-fourth seven months ago. Rasoul got married, he has a son now. We haven't seen Mozenrath in three years, not after the attack on the oasis. And Mirage? She hasn't been seen since she tried to put the entire city to sleep. Omar had a heart attack- Sadira moved into a near-by city. Saleen tried to take over Agrabah three times, but after she learned you were no where to be found.... And Abis Mal works at one of the casinos in Getizstan. Haroud as well. We think they're up to no good, but Sultan Pasta-Aldente refuses to listen. You were gone for six long years, Aladdin. And I will be damned if you sit there at laugh as though you weren't.” She threw her napkin on the table and got up and left the dining hall.

Aladdin sat there for some odd minutes as he tried to sink this new information in. Six years? Mozenrath and Mirage absent from their attacks on the city? Saleen trying to take over? Six years? Abis Mal and Haroud in a casino? Six years? He was now twenty-four? SIX YEARS?

His head hurt just thinking about it.

Genie and the Sultan whispered to each other silently as Aladdin banged his head on the table, and the back of the chair, as though he were attempting to recall the lost time.

“Why doesn't he remember?”

“Could be amnesia.”

“But then why does he remember us? And the palace?”

“Could be amnesia for things he doesn't like.”

“Then why does he remember Rasoul?”

“Hmmm.... Maybe he’s sick. Or maybe whatever happened to him was so bad, he can't remember.”

“Perhaps he was stuck in time and was only awakened a little while ago. Like Allah’s will caused him to wait six years before returning.”

“You've been playing that Zelda video game I let you have too much. Besides, people don't just get frozen in time. You get banished for that kind of stuff.”

“Banished? Why?”

“Union rules. All union’s rules, actually. The Convention of 2,349,823 BC forbade messing with mortal’s time. Or was it moral time? Anyway, I know it’s practically impossible- only REALLY powerful sorcerers can even try that.”

“But then that must mean...” The Sultan turned to look at Aladdin, who was sitting still now, rubbing his head.

“Yeah.... Al was playing with some big-shot wizards.”

Aladdin looked over at them. “Was it really six years?” He whispered, tears coming from his eyes now. They both nodded solemnly at him. He looked away, towards Jasmine’s empty seat. But then his head came up, and he threw his own napkin on the table, and ran after the love of his life. “Jasmine!”

He found her lying flat on her stomach, her face smothered into the pillow as she tried to hid it from him. He was sure she had been crying again- and now that he realized why, he felt like doing to same. However, he heard no weeping nor bawling coming from her, and as he sat down by her side, she turned to face him and he saw that there were not tears to be found on her face.

“Jasmine?” He asked, taking her hand when she turned fully towards him. She refused to look at him. “Jasmine?”

“I've wept all the tears I could a long time ago.” Was all she said.

He was looking straight at her again, and she wished he would look away. The pressure under his stare increased as the seconds rolled by, and still they both would not say anything.

“I thought I was done crying. I thought I was done being torn in two- that my heart would finally get some rest and stop aching. And then you came back, and it has done nothing but burn all over again.”

She finally looked at him, and he at her; their eyes locked and she spoke low, whispering that which only he was to hear.

“Why did you come back?”

He could no longer avoid his own grief, and a single tear bathed his face as it ran down the side of his cheek. He looked away, then back at her, and then away one last time. He could not answer, for he had not anticipated such a question being asked.

“I came back for you. You kept me alive from whatever it was that was keeping me away.”

She pulled her hand from his and she looked into her lap. “I was just starting to get used to life without you. I thought there was no way that I could ever live without you when you were gone for so long. I questioned everything- my family, my friends, my life. And yet, somehow, I managed to keep going. Just as my heart was about to close, to retrieve the last piece of it and be whole again, you show up. And all I can think about is how I ever made it without you.”

She looked up at him again, and this time pulled his face to look at hers. “I love you still, Aladdin. But I don't understand how you came back, where you even left to. I was so worried, at first, when you didn't come home. I thought for sure you had been taken by an old enemy- I searched the entire desert. Then, I was nothing but angry- I became sure you had left me, left me to pursue another life. I thought you had given your love to another, and had forgotten about me. I gave up my search. You were dead for certain- else you would never come home.

“But you did. You did come back, just as I was starting to be happy once more. I do not regret your arrival- I only want answers. Every night I asked myself where you had gone- if you were safe, dead, or with another. If you were trapped somewhere, lying in the dark, being beaten and I unable to save you. If you were running around the desert with another woman, with another friend. If you had thought I didn't love you anymore, and had simply left.”

She was unable to continue further, and both sat there for quite some time, crying together and alone at the same time. They were together, for they were in the same room, but they were alone for both were unable to understand the other after all the time that had past last.

“Jasmine, I came back for you. The image of your beautiful face made my feet keep taking one more step. The thought of your laugh, the sight of your smile- it gave me a reason for wanting to live. I was trapped, but I wasn't- I was trapped from ever getting back and yet I was free to go wherever I wanted. And do you know where I wanted to go?” He looked at her deeply now and saw her slightly shake her head in response. “I wanted to be here. I wanted to be nowhere but here. And here was the one place I could not get to.”

“Aladdin, I-” Jasmine began, having finally gotten the courage to tell him everything and forgive him for ever leaving, willing to get their lives back together and have the happiness they once had had. But she couldn't finish her sentence. And even if she had, he would not have heard her.

For the horns from the city of Presse were bellowing, and the prince had arrived.

Aladdin stared up at Jasmine and saw the exasperated look upon her face. He could not understand why, but she seemed to stutter as the horns continued to blow. It was as if her worst nightmares had just been shown true, and she was unable to stop the catastrophes from occurring. From happening. From ruining all she had worked and grieved for.

“Jasmine, what is that?” He asked her, waving his hand in front of her eyes in hopes of receiving some sort of response. He got none. Frozen as though she had just looked into the eyes of the gorgon Medusa, Jasmine sat- not blinking, not seeing, and not breathing. Aladdin shook her a little and still she did not falter from her pose. He heard the horns blow again and again- and when he had asked Jasmine thrice more for answers, he finally walked over to the balcony to see what was the matter.

What he saw made his memories sharpen. There, on its way to the palace, was a large parade- with horses and elephants, swordsmen and belly dancers, and wealth of the extremes. He saw ribbons and posters- a swirl of red that contrasted with the brown city. All red. The city appeared on fire- the red swept past and grew such astounding noise, that it was a wonder people were not running for their lives.

But the people seemed most pleased with the parade, and cheered and rooted on the mass of red that was creeping closer and closer to the city. The people applauded the parade as though they had known and hoped it would be coming by, as though they had seen it before and welcomed it always.

It was exactly like the parade Aladdin had used to make his way into the city as a prince.

And then it hit him. He looked back to Jasmine who saw him at last, and made a mad rush for the door. Aladdin sprang over to her, blocking her path, and grabbed her arm. She was forced to look at him, and he looked intently onto her face. “Who is that parade for?”

Jasmine, tears threatening once more, merely shook her head. “No....”

Genie suddenly burst into the room and flew to Jasmine. “Jas! The prince from Presse is here and-” He stopped when he caught sight of Aladdin and his mouth fell open. “Oh... hi, Al...”

Aladdin looked to Jasmine to Genie a hundred times in a matter of a few seconds. Then he ceased to do so, because he got a headache from it. Neither one would give Aladdin a look, never mind any answers. “Genie?” He gazed at the ground. “Jasmine?” She gawked at Genie. Aladdin was growing very impatient very fast, and when both had finally looked at him, it was to watch his back as he exited the room and headed for the throne room.

He nearly ran through the hallway, pushing past servants and tables, vases and pictures. He ran and ran, his fears and insecurities eating away at him as though he were made of bread. He made it to the entrance of the throne room in record time, and halted at the doorway, hiding himself and hearing the people in the throne room. He recognized the Sultan’s voice immediately.

“Ah, yes, Prince Roseau, welcome back.... Though I hadn't expected you back so quickly....”

“The princess had insisted on my speedy return, and I dared not have kept her waiting.”

Waiting for what? Aladdin wondered. What were they talking about?

“Well,” the Sultan started, “it’s never smart to keep my daughter from anything she wants, I'll agree with you there. But I do believe she sent a letter to you this past night, saying she couldn't accept your return so soon...”

“Yes, that I received on my way here. I wondered at her sudden change of will- but that was always one of the things I fancied about her. She has such a strong will, but she doesn't realize that I have one to match. I'm afraid I couldn't stay away from her for so long... and what with the war going on outside my country and everything...the battle has crept to our home front, you see... I was afraid I would never see her lovely face again... or hear her splendid laughter....”

Splendid laughter? This guy talks as though... as if he...

But Aladdin had heard enough. Without so much as a second thought, he strode out of his hiding place and almost all the way to the Sultan. The kind old ruler’s eyes grew outsized when he saw the young man before him, and gasped when he saw the look on Aladdin’s face.

Aladdin, certain before about coming forth and confronting the two, now didn't know what to say. He looked from the Sultan to the prince, back and forth, forth and back. The prince was surprised at him, and merely peered at Aladdin from his place next to the Sultan. The Sultan nervously glanced at the prince and cleared his throat several times.

So that was how it was. Aladdin, standing before the two richly dressed, royal men, looking between the two anxiously, and they staring at him, wondering why he was there and who was going to say something first.

Jasmine, running with Genie close behind, suddenly poured into the room, trying to catch her breath at the same time. “Aladdin...!” She saw Aladdin turn to her when she called to him, and saw the red prince standing just behind him.

When he heard the princess, the red prince was all smiles, regardless of the awkward situation he was in. “Jasmine! There you are! I was wondering where you had gotten off to.” He stepped up to greet her with a grin and a kiss on the cheek. Beyond him, Aladdin glowered.

“Prince... Prince Roseau! Yes, yes you're here... in-in Agrabah... why?”

Roseau chuckled slightly and grabbed one of her hands as she spoke. “Is that any way to greet your fiancé, I wonder? Perhaps it is some strange custom in this city I was not told about, hmm?”

Jasmine laughed tensely at his laugh and turned her eyes to her father, who looked away. She looked at Genie who shrugged a touch, and then to Aladdin.

Aladdin was as frozen as a statue. He kept his stare on Roseau and hardly breathed in and out. Jasmine closed her eyes when the realization hit her- he knew. And she had betrayed him.

Roseau, noticing another uneasy moment, looked around at everyone. “Jasmine? Is everything all right?” Jasmine didn't respond, at all, so he continued further. His eyes met Aladdin’s and he gasped in apprehension. “Ah! Where are my manners?” He turned back to Jasmine. “Where are our manners?” He twisted around to Aladdin once more, and extended his hand. “I am Prince Roseau, of Presse. It’s a pleasure to meet you... Aladdin, was it?”

Aladdin looked at Roseau as though he had three heads. Then he stared at Jasmine and answered coldly. “Yes, I'm Aladdin. It’s nice to meet you, Prince Roseau.” He reached out and shook the prince’s hand.

Roseau was delighted. “So, Aladdin, are you a friend of Jasmine’s? Or perhaps Genie’s? Or do you...ah...work here?” He blushed at his own question. “Sorry...it’s just you...”

“don't look like royalty.” Aladdin finished for him. He now gave the prince his full and undivided attention, and spoke to him like a new friend. “No, I don't work here. And I suppose you could say I am a friend of Jasmine’s. And Genie’s.” Jasmine begin to silently cry as she watched and heard the betrayal in Aladdin’s voice, and Genie cringed and looked away when he heard his disloyalty come out.

Aladdin was so surprised at such a turn of events, that he wasn't sure how to act. Prince Roseau was here to marry Jasmine. Genie obviously knew him, the Sultan as well. He had been gone six years. And life had apparently moved on without him. But he was angry. And felt deceived. Jasmine had gone on with her life, and had forgotten about him. Genie was probably now best friends with this new guy.

And then there was this new guy. He didn't seem crude, or egotistical, or even vain. He wasn't cruel, and he wasn't ugly, and he wasn't rude. Roseau, Aladdin saw, wasn't much different from himself. In fact, Roseau even looked like him. He was taller than Aladdin, with brown, wavy hair and sparkling brown eyes. He had a handsome face and was clean and elegant. He had an air about him that made him seem like an everyday guy.

And the worst part was, he was a pretty nice guy. Someone Aladdin would have been friends with. Which made Aladdin resent him even more.

Roseau smiled again and again, as though he had just made a new friend. He pulled his hands away from Jasmine’s and then, to the surprise of everyone, shook Aladdin’s. “Nice to meet you then Aladdin. But you say you are a friend of Jasmine and Genie, though I have never met you. Have you been gone? Are you visiting for the time being?”

Aladdin stared at Roseau for quite some time before answering. “Yes... I was gone a long time. I just returned. And it looks like everything has been changed.” He side-glanced at Genie. “Friends have changed.” He looked at the Sultan. “People have changed.” Finally, he glanced ever so briefly at Jasmine. “Hearts have changed.” He took his hand away from Roseau’s as he finished. “And you, Prince Roseau... have you been gone?”

Roseau gestured in agreement. “Yes, I was gone for quite some time... probably longer than you! There is a war going on outside my city and I have been busy setting up the proper protection, should it suddenly threaten my kingdom.” Aladdin wondered at the need for a large parade with a war happening, but Roseau seemed to read his mind. Which made Aladdin even more resentful, though he refrained from showing it. “Ah, you wonder at the parade then, eh? I brought many of my servants with me... to get them out of the palace. And, I thought since Jasmine and I are to wed soon, I could bring some of my city’s wealth here for safe keeping.” Roseau smiled again all of a sudden as he remembered something. “But then you must have heard of my engagement to Jasmine, no?” He stroked Jasmine’s back as he talked. “So happy I was when she accepted! So Aladdin, you must come to the wedding! It would be splendid to have a friend such as yourself present!”

Jasmine had turned white, Genie as well. Aladdin, emotions raging, could think of nothing to say in response.

“Roseau...” Jasmine began, then stopped when she realized she was being too familiar with him in front of Aladdin. “Prince Roseau... I don't think this is the time to discuss such things...”

The Sultan caught on quickly. “Yes! I think your right, dearest. Prince Roseau, you must be tired after all that traveling... would you like to-”

“Well, I am a bit tired, though I think I should have a good night’s rest tonight. Aladdin, have you eaten breakfast yet? Would you like to stay for the meal? The food here is always excellent.”

Aladdin almost laughed, but stopped before he got to far. “No, I think I should get going. I'm sorry for rushing off so soon, Roseau... but I must be getting back home. I think I wore out my welcome here anyway. Genie,” he said, nodding to the jinni, “Sultan,” who sighed in response. “Good-day.” And with that he walked out of the palace. Without so much as a goodbye to Jasmine. Without so much as an angry word or soft tear.

Roseau waved goodbye to Aladdin as he gaited out of the large, blue palace doors. He then turned to the remaining, and beamed. “He was very nice, wasn't he? We'll have to have him over sometime again.” He patted Jasmine’ back and walked her to the menagerie. “Now, Jasmine, I must tell you all that happened at Wainscot, it was truly remarkable the stories they told...”

And Jasmine walked with him. Without so much as a goodbye to Aladdin. Without so much as an angry word or soft tear.