Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
The Phoenix by Soraya Summers
[Reviews - 3] Printer

- Text Size +
The Phoenix

A large wagon rolled through the desert and almost got stuck in the deep sand that was piling up because of the wind. The winds at night began to pick up as cold fronts collided with the warm fronts. As the ferruginous winds become stronger, the driver stopped the horses and checked his cargo, just to make sure it was secure. From behind him a windstorm grew and headed toward the wagon. Knowing nothing could keep him from delivering the precious freight which he carried, he continued on. With a snap of the reins, he put the horses into a trot and quickly turned around just in time to see the wind change direction.

Past the shifting sands and many canyons, the horses ran until the small, black, serpentine designs in the sand became thicker. The sand ran black in the great land that lay ahead, and the driver continued onward with a hint of fear. The mighty gates of the city opened as he pulled up to them like magic. At the same time, the horses reared back in fright, but the man urged them to go on. Once he passed the gates, they slammed closed behind him and he continued on toward the mighty citadel that lay ahead. Black was the sky, and ground that stretched before him.

Perhaps I never should have come here alone, he thought while looking around and seeing troops of undead guards walking throughout the streets not even noticing him as he passed by them.

After he passed the crumbled buildings in the city. a large path lay before him; it led to the citadel. Tugging on the reins, he brought the horses to a stop and saw a strange creature fly in front of his wagon and then back toward the large palace.

“Master, Master! It here!”

“Well, it’s about time. I should have just torched that little kingdom instead of making this deal.”

“Master not happy?”

“Shut up, and let’s go,” Mozenrath, the ruler of the Land of the black sand said to his familiar, Xerxes. They walked out of the citadel doors to the grounds of the pathway that lead up to the citadel.

Mozenrath walked up to the man sitting in the wagon, who had been stopped by the guards.

“It’s about time you got here. I was deciding whether or not to go back on our deal.”

“I am most sorry, my lord, but there were many cold nights and storms that came.”

“Do you think I care?”

“No, of course not. But my people would never lie to you. After our sultan made this deal with you for not destroying the kingdom, we sent only our bravest warriors to find the Phoenix. It escaped many times, but we were finally able to contain it.”

“Where is it?!” Mozenrath asked angrily. The man in the wagon jumped to level ground and walked behind the wagon to where the cargo was held. It was covered by a dark blanket, which he quickly pulled off.

“It’s in here.” the man replied. The crate was decorated with gold and lapis designs and on the front was a large gold lock in the shape of a sun.

“In that crate? That small thing? It can't be.”

“Yes, my lord. Now that I've brought you want you wanted, I'd like to leave knowing your end of the deal shall be kept,” the man uttered. It was obvious to Mozenrath that he wanted to leave as quickly as possible.

“Of course. In due time,” Mozenrath replied, motioning his guards to carry the crate inside. When four of them gathered around the small crate, they expected it to be heavy and quickly picked it up. They lost their balance and almost dropped the box.

“Watch it, you idiots! Never again,” he scolded them as Xerxes flew around his neck. The guards mumbled something and walked with the crate into the citadel. “I guarantee that if your words are not true, you will pay. I'll hunt you down like a mouse.”

“No need to worry. S-s-satisfaction is g-g-guaranteed,” the man stuttered. He climbed back on the wagon, nodded to Mozenrath, and turned the horses around. The sand kicked up quickly from under the wheels of the wagon as it sped out of the gates of the kingdom and into the open desert. Within the citadel, Mozenrath sat with his familiar in the laboratory.

“What this?” Xerxes asked.

This is one of the most powerful magic raptors in the world. It will add nicely to my collection,” Mozenrath replied as he glanced at his other 'toys’. Xerxes swam close to the box and looked through one of the small holes to see what the box contained. With a screech, he jumped back toward his master.

“It serves you right,” Mozenrath added laughingly.

“What in there?”

“Within this crate is a bird made out of fire. The Phoenix, as it’s called. It can destroy a whole solar system by absorbing the energy from its sun.”

“Bird eat sun?”

“Only this one. Its powers are created by the energy of a sun, and with this amount of power it will make it easier for me to control the world--when I get around to it. Now, get away from there!” Mozenrath roared. Xerxes backed up and turned around. As he did, his tail hit the crate and it smashed open on the black marble floor. The jewels and gold binding that held the crate together flew across the floor and shattered into millions of pieces. From within the shattered pieces of gold and blue, a large bird crawled out. The bird spread its mighty plumage, of which hues were bright violet, scarlet, crimson, and flaming orange. Its eyes were deep, glowing ruby color.

Taking advantage of the situation, the bird flew out the large window. The intensity of the wind from the giant bird’s wings caused great twisters throughout the laboratory. The heat caused the furniture closest to it to melt and burn.

After the bird had left, Mozenrath stood up and picked up the small lock that was shaped like the sun. It hadn't even been opened. He examined it for a moment and with great anger chucked it at Xerxes who flew out the doorway.

“Get back here, bird bait. You can run, but you can't hide!” he roared loudly as he walked out of the laboratory. In utter fear Xerxes hid himself from his master’s wrath.

“Do you know what I went through to get that damn bird?! I've been looking for it for years, and you just go and ruin it all. I'll never be able to catch it. Oh, you are going to fry for this. Get out here!” Mozenrath screamed while frantically searching for Xerxes and cursing under his breath.

*

In Agrabah, the sun had already risen and the wind died down. Jasmine was patiently sitting and waiting for Aladdin to join her side. With her hand over her eyes, she looked up toward the bright sun. Just above the horizon, she saw Aladdin on Carpet swooping through the clouds. After a few tricks they joined Jasmine on the steps.

“Did you see that? That was so awesome!” Aladdin cheerfully said. “You ought to try it.”

“No, that’s ok. I prefer the ground better.” she said. “What’s going to happen when you fall off one day?”

“Carpet will swoop down and get me.” he said with a smirk.

“What happens if he doesn't make it in time?” she asked in a smart tone.

“Well, he hasn't failed me, yet. Why? Are you trying to jinx me?”

“Of course not, but you never know what will happen.”

“Come on, Jasmine. Just try it. You loved it when we used to go together.” he added with a smile.

“I – I just don't know. Well, ok, but only if he doesn't do any tricks.” she said pointing to Carpet. Carpet quickly shook his tassels as if to say no. Then he took her up above the city.

“No offense, Carpet, I love heights, but Aladdin is a dare-devil and flips in mid air don't agree with my stomach.” she said. With a tassel, Carpet gave her an ok sign. “But to show I'm not afraid---- Carpet go as high as you can,” she whispered to him. And like rocket he shot vertically up into the sky. On the ground, Aladdin looked up with amazement.

Holding on tightly, she looked down at the ground, which was starting to look like an anthill.

“Carpet!” she shouted. “You can stop now!” But because of the wind, he couldn't hear her and kept shooting through the clouds.

“Carpet, stop!” she shouted again, to no avail. From above Carpet she saw a large ball of fire moving through the sky.

We are going to collide right into it, Jasmine thought as they flew closer and closer to the ball. She could tell that Carpet had seen the thing and tried to slow down, but he was still going too fast.

As they came closer, Jasmine could see it taking on the shape of a bird. In horror, she prepared herself for the collision and began to put her hands up to her face. A bright flash of light appeared before her and she felt sharp pains throughout her body, then all went black.

*

After searching for quite a while, Mozenrath tired of Xerxes’ game. “Forget it, I don't have time for this. If I were you, Xerxes, I'd never come out!” he ranted while stepping out of the room.

Now how do I get that bird back? he thought to himself while looking around the demolished laboratory. Perhaps that meaningless little town should pay for this, he thought to himself as he opened up a large cabinet containing magical items.

“I know I have that thing somewhere..ah, here it is.” he said after picking up a tiny amulet. “Those mindless gnats thought they'd be able to hide the sun of Shamash from me forever.” The rock he held was a key to finding great sources of energy. His guards had just recently raided an innocent caravan that had mistakenly wandered into The Land of the Black Sand who happened to be carrying the amulet. This tiny amulet, once charged with energy, would show him where exactly the sun of Shamash was buried.

After posting his guards he disappeared into a black flame.

*

“Oh no, Jasmine!” Aladdin yelled as he ran toward where she was falling. After the collision, she had fallen off Carpet and fell downward toward the water. As he ran toward the dock, he saw her fall into the water. He quickly ripped off his fez and dove in.

When he found her, he walked to shore, holding her limp body and slowly put her on the sand. To make sure her lungs weren't filled with water, he turned her on her stomach.

“Oh, Jasmine, this is all my fault. I should have listened to you. Come on, wake up. I can't let your father see you like this.”

She quickly opened her eyes and coughed out some water.

“What--happened?” she asked.

“You're ok?” he asked in shock. “You just had an accident on Carpet. What was that thing you crashed into?”

“I'm not sure. I really don't remember what happened. I want to go back to the palace now,” she said. He helped her up and they walked back to the palace together.

As the sun began to set, Jasmine prepared for bed. She lifted her covers and climbed in. She turned over and watched Rajah walk into the room. He settled down in front of the fireplace and fell asleep. Jasmine slowly began to close her eyes as she watched Rajah’s rhythmic breathing. The crickets began to chirp loudly as midnight passed and the day began anew. Even though it was still dark, the stars shone brightly in the sky as Jasmine suddenly awoke and found herself in new surroundings.

“Where am I?” she asked out loud. As she looked around, she saw nothing that looked familiar. Lifting up her hands, she touched her face. Nothing seemed to be the same. Her shape had changed. Reaching over to her left, she felt some matches and a candle. She struck a match against the side of the bed and lifted it toward the candle setting it aflame and illuminating the room. Getting out of bed, she walked toward a mirror to see her figure.

“A mortal?” she said as she stared at the reflection. “The Phoenix has been everything but human. Perhaps this could work,” she said to herself.

Noticing the door behind her she walked out and started down that hall. The air was cold as she walked down the steps to the menagerie. All around her stood tall exotic trees and a large water fountain. Like a cat, she hissed at it and stepped back.

“It’s too cold. I need heat,” with a flash of her hand the trees lit on fire. Using the flames that jumped off, she created a circle around her to keep warm. Sitting on the cold marble floor, she rocked back and forth in her fire circle. The flames became larger and so did the marble floor as she lay upon it looking up at the stars.

Never again shall I let any human trap me, she thought to herself. Soon, she fell asleep, and the fire began to die out.

The sun rose over the horizon of the desert. Aladdin had wanted to wake Jasmine in her room, but she was gone. He sent the guards searching everywhere.

“Perhaps she’s in the menagerie, Genie.” Aladdin suggested. Shrugging his shoulders, Genie flew out of the room with Aladdin running close behind. As they neared the doors to the menagerie, they spotted Jasmine lying on the floor. Running down the steps Aladdin came to her side.

“Jasmine, wake up,” he said picking up her head. She mumbled something and slapped him in the face. She opened her eyes and saw Aladdin rubbing his cheek.

“What...what’s going on?” she began as she looked around. In a half-dazed voice she said,

“How did I get here?”

“We don't know. I went to wake you up, but you weren't in your room. Maybe you were sleep walking,” Genie added with a chuckle.

“No, I don't sleep walk. This is so strange.”

“Here let me help you up,” Aladdin said as he took her arm to help her stand up. Immediately she grabbed his wrist with her other hand. Hot flames came from her hand and forced him to release his grip.

“You foolish mortal, don't ever touch me!” she roared at him as her eyes turned a ruby color.

“Ow–Jasmine what was that for?” he asked holding his wrist.

“I grow tiresome of your pathetic ways. Jasmine is no more. The Phoenix shall live again!” she said, laughing as she levitated off of the ground. “I've also become quite hungry,” she added as she looked up at the sun and back down at Aladdin. “Since Jasmine cares for you, I'll let your death be less painless than the others when the time comes.” She raised her arms and then flew over the wall.

“Wow–someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.” Genie commented.

“Something is really wrong with her, Genie. We have to find out where she’s going.”

“Sure thing Al, but if I were you I'd explain this to the sultan first.”

“Why?”

“’Cause he’s standing behind you,” Genie said to Aladdin who turned around and saw the sultan standing behind him with a confused look on his face.

*

In a far off desert land where there had been signs of civilization and destruction, was buried the sun of Shamash. After Mozenrath was outsmarted by sprites that had buried the sun somewhere in the desert, no one was ever supposed to find it. Upon a desert hill, Mozenrath appeared and looked down at the symbol that he had once created of a hand in the sand. He started down the mountain and walked around the sand that was deeply cut into the shape of a hand.

Something wasn't right. He could sense it. It was as if something stronger then his own magic was nearby. This bothered him, so he walked toward the ditches. The feeling became stronger as he walked closer. Then, from within the deep alleys in the sand, he felt a pull on his ankle, which knocked him down into the pit. When the dust cleared, he looked up and saw Jasmine.

“What do you think you are doing, stupid mortal? Looking for me?” she asked. “You, ha! Why would I want--“ he started to say, but realized that the strong energy was emanating from her.

“Simple boy! Looks can be deceiving. So, you are the one who wanted me, huh? You had me trapped in that tiny crate for days.”

“You would have stayed that way if Xerxes wouldn't have knock the crate over. And then you would have worked for me.” he added.

“You will be the first to perish when I find that sun. Now make it easy on yourself and tell me where it is.”

“Go find it yourself!” Mozenrath yelled as he started to get up. The tiny stone he had in the pocket of his cape fell out. At the same time, both he and the Phoenix looked down. Making a swipe for it, Mozenrath got to it first.

“So, you have a toy to help you find it, huh? Well, it doesn't matter. I'll find it on my own.” she said as she flew up and held him by his shoulder.

“I do believe you've swept me off my feet,” he said grabbing her wrists. A great flow of energy went through her and into the sand. It glowed brightly as it ran through the yellow sand. Then, from behind them, it came out and exploded into the air.

“Found it! That was easy enough. After I'm done, I'll come back and play,” she said, throwing him on the ground and flying off.

Just as Mozenrath fell, Aladdin flew over the hill on Carpet. “Mozenrath!” he yelled.

Oh no, please don't let it be--, Mozenrath thought as he turned around and saw Aladdin, Carpet, and his Genie.

“Well, well...come to join in on the fun?” Mozenrath asked as he stood up.

“Where is Jasmine? You put her up to this, didn't you?” Aladdin asked furiously.

“Me? Come now. What would I want with a princess?”

“You're not fooling anyone.” Aladdin said.

“You're right. There is just no fooling you, oh wise one,” Mozenrath remarked sarcastically.

“Well, where is she?” Aladdin asked.

“Jasmine? She got tired of playing and left.”

“Ha ha ha,” Aladdin said sarcastically. “Where is she?”

“You are wasting to much time!” he yelled and with a flash they disappeared and reappeared near where Jasmine had dug out the large sun.

“I'm wasting time you--what is she doing?” Aladdin asked.

“Something must have happened and the firebird took over her body.” Mozenrath replied.

“Firebird?”

“It’s a long story, but to sum it all up she absorbs the energy from a sun to keep her alive, and soon enough she'll destroy our solar system.”

“Solar system?” Aladdin asked.

“You have the simplest of minds. The Earth!”

“I know that I was just imagining the solar system being destroyed,” Aladdin replied.

“Yeah, sure,” Mozenrath commented.

“So, why are you letting me help you?”

“She’s your girlfriend and I'm not letting you help me, I'm using you as bait. Now, I need to think of a way to stop her.”

“Don't hurt yourself,” Aladdin said sarcastically.

“That’s it!” Mozenrath said as he called forth his powers.

“Wait! Where is Genie?” Aladdin asked. He looked around and spotted Genie by Jasmine.

“Hey, Jas, why don't we talk this over? I understand your pain. Why don't you share with the group?” Genie asked as the Phoenix used her powers to knock him down. “You are my problem, Genie,” she said.

“Just don't let her use her energy to fuel the sun.” Mozenrath said to Aladdin.

In front of them, the Phoenix circled around the large sphere. She touched it and fused her energy around the small sun like a spark of a match; it ignited.

“Too late.” Aladdin said as they watched her. She put her palms up against the sphere and began to drain the sun’s energy.

“We have to stop her now!” Mozenrath declared.

“Ok, I have an idea. Genie!” yelled Aladdin.

Genie flew from behind the hill to Aladdin’s side.

“Genie, help me. Distract Jasmine–I mean the Phoenix, while Mozenrath gets rid of the sun.”

“What? I'm not helping you! This is your plan.” Mozenrath stated.

“Fine, but if we fail, you are going to die anyway. And the Phoenix will destroy your kingdom.”

“I can stop her on my own,” Mozenrath said.

“You wanted that sun anyway, and you still have a chance at trapping that bird.” Aladdin said.

“Al, what are you doing?” Genie asked.

“Bribing him,” Aladdin whispered.

“Now, we don't have much time. I told you what you'd get out of the deal. Now do you agree?” Aladdin asked. Mozenrath hesitated and then shook his head.

“Fine, but don't get in my way,” he added.

“Don't worry, while Genie and I distract her, you make that sun disappear. Then meet us at the shoreline.” Aladdin said as he and Genie ran out of their hiding place and behind the Phoenix.

“Hey, bird! Over here!” Aladdin yelled.

The Phoenix pulled her hands away from the sun and turned around.

“Excuse me, I told you I'd make your death less painful, but if you annoy me, I'll take it back. In fact, I'll destroy you right now,” she said with a smirk.

“I'd like to see you try,” Aladdin said.

“What makes you so sure I can't?” she asked.

“’Cause we have something you don't!” Genie exclaimed.

“Oh, yeah. What’s that?” As she finished her question she abruptly turned around and saw both Mozenrath and the sun disappear in a blackish blue light.

“The sun! What have you done with it?” she asked, concerned.

“If you want it back, you'll meet us at the shoreline.” Aladdin said. He turned to Genie and with a flash of blue light, they disappeared.

So, those worms think they can out smart me do they, I'll teach them, the Phoenix thought as she flew through the sky toward the shore.

*

On the shoreline, Aladdin and Genie awaited the arrival of the Phoenix.

“Hey, Genie, where is Mozenrath?” Aladdin asked.

“That slacker. He probably cut out after he took the sun,” Genie said.

“Well, it doesn't matter. We don't need him anymore.” Aladdin replied. From behind them, a flash of blackish blue light appeared. Both Genie and Aladdin quickly turned around.

“Oh, you don't do you?” Mozenrath asked as the light faded away around him.

“Punctual as usual,” Aladdin added. “What took you so long?”

“Where is she?” Mozenrath asked, trying to avoid the question.

“She’s on her way,” Just as Aladdin was going to continue, the Phoenix appeared. She levitated over the water and looked around for her playmates.

“Genie, here’s your cue.” Aladdin said.

“Hiding? You pitiful mortals. I don't blame you, though,” the Phoenix said as she looked around, trying to find out where they were hiding.

“Hmmm, let’s see” she said as she took a deep breath of air, “two magical beings and one hero!” she screeched, looking at her nails.

“We better distract her again,” Aladdin said to Mozenrath.

“Ok, go out there,” Mozenrath said back.

“Me? She wants both of us.” Aladdin answered back.

“You go first.” Mozenrath replied.

“Why? You chicken?” Aladdin asked.

“No,” Mozenrath replied and pushed Aladdin out from behind the sand hill.

“So, there you are,” the Phoenix said as Mozenrath stepped out from behind Aladdin.

Just as she finished speaking, Genie released a heavy fishing net on top of her. As she fell into the water, a great amount of steam was released, because of the fire that she was made of. Under the water, she struggled to get free, but her power became weaker. When she had wriggled free from the net, she used her left over strength to form a protective bubble around herself. Stopping for a moment trying to gather her strength while observing her surroundings, the Phoenix looked toward the surface where the sun shone brightly overhead. She reached up to the sunlight as the bubble floated upward. Faster and faster it floated until she reached the surface where it popped. Levitating above the water, she hung limp for a couple of minutes trying to gather her strength. Slowly, she lifted her head up and her eyes opened wide as if she was possessed. Shaking her head and hands to get the water off, she laughed loudly. Both men looked at each other in confusion.

“That should have done it!” Aladdin said. “I don't understand.”

“Maybe she’s stronger then we thought.” Mozenrath answered.

“Ready to face me now, mortals?” the Phoenix asked.

“We have to think of something, now!” Aladdin said. Mozenrath looked around, trying to get an idea of what he could use. He looked down toward the ground and saw a scorpion crawl between himself and Aladdin.

“I've got it!” he shouted. “See that scorpion?”

“Yeah. What about it?” Aladdin asked in confusion.

“Watch this.” Mozenrath said as he created a circle of fire around the scorpion with his magic.

“What are you doing?” Aladdin yelled at him.

“You've never tortured a scorpion before?” Mozenrath asked.

“No! Unlike you I don't have evil tendencies.” Aladdin snapped.

“Right. You go pick flowers in fields.” Mozenrath snapped back. “Now shut up and watch.” In the circle, the scorpion desperately searched for a way to get out. Getting as close to the fire as it could until it had to move back, it examined every angle and direction the fire was coming from.

“What is it doing?” Aladdin asked.

Mozenrath sighed and looked angrily at Aladdin.

“Since there is no way for it to escape, it would rather kill itself than suffer the pain the fire would bring.” As Mozenrath finished, the scorpion stung itself with its stinger and soon it collapsed as the fire engulfed it.

“You're just to sick for me, man,” Genie said to Mozenrath.

“What does this have to do with the Phoenix?” Aladdin asked in a strong tone. “If we can contain her, she'll start to burn out and lose her powers before she gets a chance at destroying our planet.”

“So, what’s the plan?” Aladdin asked.

“Get her down to our level and I'll do the rest.”

Immediately Aladdin and Genie ran up to her as she levitated overhead.

“Why don't you come down here and face us?” Aladdin asked.

“Poor little birdie afraid to get wet?” Genie asked in a mocking tone. The Phoenix looked down at them, her eyes a bright ruby color.

“You think I'm gonna fall for that?” she laughed.

How are we gonna get her down here? Aladdin thought. Then he got an idea.

“Mozenrath, where did you put that sun?”

“Why, you are not about to take it back!” Mozenrath shouted.

“Trust me!” Aladdin shouted back.

“No way.”

“You want her down here, or not?” Aladdin asked. Mozenrath sighed deeply and obeyed Aladdin. With a snap of his fingers, the giant metal colored sun appeared before him. When he had taken it away from the Phoenix, it was charged with energy. But, in order to hide it, he had to draw all of the energy out of it.

“You want your power, Phoenix? You'll have to come down here and get it!” Aladdin yelled. She landed on the ground and ran toward the sun.

“I hope Mozenrath knows what he’s doing!” Aladdin said to Genie.

As the Phoenix was about to reach the sun, Mozenrath snapped his fingers, and a blackish-blue mist appeared around her. In confusion she looked down as the mist engulfed her.

*

The sun had gone down now as night took over the desert. The cool wind whirled through the Citadel where Aladdin and Mozenrath had reappeared earlier that day. They sat in the library, Aladdin on the marble floor and Mozenrath in a comfortable chair in front of a glass case.

“As soon as this is over I never want to see you again,” Mozenrath remarked at Aladdin.

“You think I wanted this to happen?” Aladdin asked. “We have been sitting here for hours and she hasn't woken up. What did you do to her?”

“Just took some of her energy. Boy, was she powerful! It could have been mine too if Xerxes--I mean, if your princess didn't get in the way.” Mozenrath said while looking around.

He better not show up, 'cause if he does he’s gonna get it, he thought to himself.

From within the case, Jasmine awoke. She lifted her head up and looked around. Rubbing her hands on her eyes, she stood up and walked right into the glass like a bird trying to fly through a window. She stepped back and rubbed her nose as Aladdin and Mozenrath walked up to her. She hissed at them and created a giant ball of her magic, which she flung at the glass. Mozenrath tapped on it.

“Magic proof,” he said with an evil grin. With a cross look, she took a deep breath and screamed as loud as she could, hoping to break the glass. When she had no more air in her lungs she fell to the ground.

“Triple-paned, too,” he added with a nod as he prided himself in his work. “If you want to come out of there, you'll have to leave Jasmine’s body!” Aladdin demanded. The Phoenix crossed her arms over her chest and turned away toward the wall that the case was up against.

“You don't seem to get it, do you?” Mozenrath started. “There isn't enough oxygen in there to last very long and without it your 'fire powers’ can't thrive. So, either you come out, or you and the Princess both die!”

“Now what?” Aladdin asked.

“We wait until she surrenders, which better be soon, or I'll deal with her myself,” Mozenrath replied.

The night seemed to be dragging on as the hours crept by. Both men sat patiently until the small rays of the sun came through the dark clouds that hung over the kingdom. A ray shone through a window in the library as Mozenrath opened his eyes. He looked down at the floor to see Aladdin who had also fallen asleep.

Now would be a perfect time to strike, he thought, imagining Aladdin’s end. As he was about to make his move, something caught his eye and he glanced at Jasmine, who was staring back at him. Her eyes where deep ruby red and they seemed to mysteriously draw him to her. He got up and walked toward the case never taking his eyes off of her. Staring back, she got up off of the floor and came closer to the case and he put his hand up against it. Like one of his Mamluks he stared at her as she smiled and looked toward the giant lock that was on the case. Putting his hand down he walked toward it and pulled the key from his cape. The Phoenix walked closer to the door as he turned the key. Her eyes became wider as the lock fell open. Mozenrath looked down and realized what he was doing. Remaining calm, he looked back up at her and smiled devilishly as he closed the lock and put the key away. In anger, she banged her hand on the glass and slid back down. The noise of the lock awoke Aladdin, who stretched and got up.

“What happened?” he asked.

“Nothing---yet,” Mozenrath replied as he walked over to the window and shut the curtain.

“What are you doing that for? The sun is good for you,” Aladdin said as he walked over to the window and began to pull the curtain.

“NO! You fool! Do you want her to regain the strength she has already lost?” Realizing what he was doing, Aladdin quickly closed the curtain and walked over to Jasmine. She was lying on her back on the floor, looking up at him with her head tilted. With sad eyes, he looked at her.

“Oh, Jasmine, come on. You can fight that demon. I miss you,” he said.

“Don't bother. The Phoenix probably took control of her by now,” Mozenrath said in an unconcerned tone as he looked through one of his books.

“Why, Phoenix? Why won't you leave her alone?” Aladdin asked as he slammed his fist on the glass.

“You wonder why? These feelings, these emotions--I have never felt anything more wonderful, so why should I let go of them?” she asked.

“’Cause if you destroy us all, you won't have anyone to share them with,” Aladdin said as he looked away.

“Nothing will make me more happy then to destroy all humankind. You deserve it for what you've done to me.”

“What have we done that is so horrible?” Aladdin asked. Curious, Mozenrath lowered the book to hear what she had to say.

“Your kind has been hunting mine for ages. Every 500 years a new Phoenix is born from an old one and you hunt us down.”

“Well, you try to destroy our lives. Can you blame us?” Aladdin said. She turned over and sat on her knees, looking at him.

“No, no I can't. It’s my nature to destroy and yours to stop me,” she said, looking away.

“Not only to stop you, but to use you.” Mozenrath added. “You could have had everything you wanted if I owned you.” he picked up the book.

“You always have to be so negative, don't you?” Aladdin growled at him.

“Yes–it’s my nature,” Mozenrath smiled evilly and began to read his book again.

*

The hours seemed to go by faster, and the Phoenix still refused to give up. Aladdin tried everything, but nothing worked.

With the sun at its height, the Phoenix longed for its warm heat and powerful shine. The air was indeed running low in the glass case as she tried to breathe. Taking deeper breaths made it worse, and her lungs hurt badly. Her energy seemed to be fading as she tried to call upon her powers, to no avail. Tired and longing for more power, she struggled to break the glass like the scorpion that was trapped in fire. She tried and tried until she could no longer breathe. Holding her throat she took in deep breathes of the carbon dioxide that filled that case once she had used all the oxygen. She banged on the glass to get the two men’s attention.

Aladdin turned around and saw her struggling to breathe.

“Aren't we going to help her?” he asked.

“No. You want her to leave Jasmine alone, or not?” Mozenrath replied.

“Well, if she’s going to suffer like that, I want to save her.” Aladdin shot back.

“She'll be fine.” Mozenrath said picking up another book. “She’s just crying wolf.”

“How do you know?”

“’Cause I'm smart.”

“Ha, don't make me laugh!” Aladdin said. Ignoring him, Mozenrath kept on reading. Aladdin came over to him and ripped the book out of his hands. “Now, wait a minute! What’s going to happen to Jasmine?” Aladdin yelled.

“Give that back! What do you think is going to happen?” Mozenrath yelled as he got up from the chair.

“She’s gonna die too?” Aladdin asked in a deeply concerned voice.

“Very good!” Mozenrath snapped as he tried to grab the book back from Aladdin.

“No. This isn't supposed to happen. You said the Phoenix will leave her alone.”

“That’s right, but I didn't say your princess would live!”

Aladdin backed up as Mozenrath lunged at him, trying to get the book.

“Open it right now!” Aladdin yelled and threw the book at the glass case. Mozenrath walked over to pick it up. Nothing was going to make him open it.

“Listen, Aladdin, you're make this harder on yourself than it already is. There are a lot more princesses in the world,” Mozenrath said as he picked up the book. When he stood up, Aladdin came up from behind and held a dagger to his face.

“Open it NOW!” Aladdin yelled. Mozenrath laughed as Aladdin ordered him to get they key.

“I'm not joking! And it’s not funny. You'll cause a war, and I won't rest until you and your kingdom are destroyed! Now, open it!” he yelled again and pushed the blade closer to Mozenrath. Mozenrath quickly gestured toward the case where Jasmine was suffering.

“COME ON! If you're not going to open it, then GIVE ME THE KEY!” Aladdin yelled in anger. He looked over to Jasmine who was on her knees with one hand up to the glass. She fell down and her hand slowly glided down the glass until it reached her side. From within the case, a great light of fire appeared as the Phoenix came out of her body. It hung in the air and disintegrated into nothing as the light faded. Aladdin took a deep breath.

“Jasmine,” he whispered. “JASMINE! You let her die! You did this, and now you are going to pay!”

To be continued...............

Disclaimer- Did you know that the phoenix is a legendary bird that lived in Arabia? According to tradition, the phoenix consumed itself by fire every 500 years, and a new, young phoenix sprang from its ashes. This was taken from Microsoft Encarta 97 Encyclopedia. Sorry for the educational stuff.