Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Diamonds of Darkness and Light by Eden
[Reviews - 2] Printer

- Text Size +
Diamonds of Darkness and Light

by Eden

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Dedicated to my two best friends and fellow Aladdin fans, Evi and Sedeara, who encouraged me to keep going, even when I felt like quitting. Love and prayers always.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aladdin paced the length of the bedroom nervously; he shuffled the note cards in his sweaty hands and started again to recite. "Fellow rules of the seven deserts, Agrabah has called you here today to solve our urgent lack of oil problem . . ."

Aladdin stopped at the window and gazed out. The moon had risen high and the stars were bright; it was well into the night. Maybe he should just go to bed and get some rest and practice again in the morning. Tomorrow was his first big try at being Sultan; he was to lead a discussion with other desert leaders. Aladdin didn't want to disappoint Jasmine or her father, but he wasn't quite sure how to handle diplomacy. "Funny," Aladdin thought to himself. "Ask me to pick any lock, or attack a giant monster or a band of thieves, battle a sorcerer and it's a lot easier than talking to a bunch of aristocrats." Just then the door creaked open and in stepped Jasmine, who had been attending to the servants preparing the guest rooms for the visiting rulers. She walked over to Aladdin and rested her chin on his shoulder.

"How's it going?"

"Could be better. I've only really gotten the first part of the opening speech." Aladdin sighed.

"Don't worry." Jasmine kissed him reassuringly. "I'm sure you'll do just fine!"

ALaddin kissed her back, wishing he was as sure of himself as she was.

The next day dawned hot and sunny. Aladdin rose, washed and dressed in his best suit of clothes. And after breakfast he round himself in a room at a head of a table with a roomful of officials staring at him.

"Um . . . good morning, fellow noblemen of uh . . ." ALaddin looked down. Oh no! He had forgotten his note cards and left them on his dresser. Well, he'd just have to "wing it."

"We're here to discuss, um, the problem of lack of oil in the . . . uh . . . seven deserts . . ." Aladdin finished lamely. He stuck his finger down his collar and tugged on it. The on impulse he said, "Have you ever heard the one about the camel driver and the shepherd?" Aladdin glanced and noticed the Sultan glaring at him and gulped.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Aladdin!! How could you?!" Jasmine cried angrily. "How could you embarrass us like that?"

"I'm sorry, Jasmine," Aladdin answered, and he was. "I tried; I'm just not good at this kind of stuff!"

"Hmpphh! That's no excuse! Next time try harder!" With that, Jasmine turned on her heel and left.

"Aw, Jas," Genie called after her. "Al didn't mean to embarrass you; how was he supposed to know the one about the camel driver and shepherd was outdated?" The Genie turned and saw Aladdin looking out of a window, his hands folded behind his back and shoulders slumped. Genie went over and kindly put his hand on Aladdin's shoulder.

"Let's face the facts, Al," he said. "You just didn't feel like a diplomat today, did you?"

"No, I didn't," Aladdin agreed. "But I didn't want to embarrass Jasmine and the Sultan either. I just wasn't brought up to know this stuff, Genie."

"Sounds like you could use a . . . VACATION!" Genie poofed himself into a flowered shirt, swimming trunks, sun-glasses and the like. He shoved a fist full of travel brochures in Aladdin's face. "I hear the enchanted island of Tritos is quite lovely this time of year!"

"Yeah!" exclaimed Aladdin, perking up. "A romantic trip with Jasmine would be just the thing to make up to her! Thanks, Genie!"

"Aw, whatta friends for?"

Aladdin found Jasmine in the royal library looking through some old scrolls. He went up and wrapped his arms around her.

"Sweetheart, I'm really sorry about today; so why not let me make it up to you and take you away somewhere, just the two of us?"

Jasmine smiled.

"Sounds wonderful," she answered, "but I'm afraid I can't. Father wants me to look into some ancient laws of Agrabah and revise them. But I encourage you to go; I think you could use a break from palace life."

"Are you sure I won't be needed around here?"

Jasmine laughed and pushed him. "Go on, you deserve a little vacation!" she said. Then seriously she put her hands on either side of his face and looked him straight in the eyes. "I have one more thing to say, Aladdin. I don't really care about your diplomatic skills as long as you love me!"

Aladdin smiled and held her close. "I won't be gone for long," he said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aladdin packed a small pack with his belongings, kissed Jasmine good-bye and set out on the Magic Carpet. AFter they had flown a while and were well away from Agrabah, Aladdin gave Carpet a pat. "Hey Carpet, let's take a spin and see what Dad and Iago are up to!" Carpet shook a tassel in agreement and picked up speed. Only Aladdin and Carpet knew where his father was staying, because Cassim was a wanted man. By the time they reached the small town where Cassim was staying it was late in the evening. Aladdin followed the dark streets to the house his father was renting. No one appeared to be home; all was quiet and no light shone form inside. Aladdin knocked once, twice, no answer. He pushed on the door and it opened. Cautiously, he entered.

"Go away. No one's here, no one's home," came a frightened, small voice. "No run-away parrot would come back here, so you're wasting your time!"

"Iago?" Aladdin called. "Where are you? What happened?" He found a lam and lit it. The smaller room looked like a whirlwind had blown through it. Clothes and articles laid scattered all over the place, furniture was tipped over, a cushion cowered on the floor. "Iago," Aladdin said again and walked over to the cushion. He picked it up and there as Iago, cringing with both wings over his head. After a minute, he moved a wing and peeped up. "Al?" he said in surprise. "Al! Am I glad to see you!! I thought 'they' had come back for me! What a relief; now you can protect me!"

"What happened, Iago? Where's my dad?" Aladdin asked.

"Oh Al, it was terrible! Huge, I mean big and strong, boy were they strong! Women in armor, warriors!" Iago pulled out a block of arrows as long as Aladdin's arm.

"Galefems?" Aladdin asked in disbelief.

"Kid, these ladies make the Galefems look like little girls having a tea party! Anyway, they came bargin' in here, knocking over anything in their path, then they grabbed your dad and me and carried us off! Except I managed to get away; I flew back here and have been hiding out these last couple of days," Iago finished.

"And I've been worrying about my diplomatic skills!" Aladdin thought to himself.

Out loud, he said, "Why didn't you come to Agrabah and get me to come rescue my dad?"

"Because I know you'd concoct some crazy rescue mission, including me!" Iago moaned. "And I have a feeling that's what you are doing right now!"

"That's right, Iago!" Aladdin grinned. "We're going to rescue Dad, and you're going to show me the way." He grabbed Iago and stepped aboard the magic carpet.

Out and into the early light of the dawning sun they soared. At about noon they had come to the strangest looking city Aladdin had ever seen. In the center was a black marble Grecian style palace, surrounding the palace were smaller barracks also black. There were garden plots and stables to each set of several barracks. Aladdin saw strange black, bat-winged unicorns tethered outside of the stables.

All of a sudden, a whipping sound split the air. Aladdin turned just as a steel rope wrapped itself around his upper body. Another one wrapped around the magic carpet, yanking it out from beneath him. Aladdin felt himself being lifted by the rope around him. In a quick minute he was hefted into a gleaming black chariot, hitched to one of the winged Unicorns. Holding the reins was the biggest woman Aladdin had ever seen. She towered about six and a half feet tall and had muscles in her arms to rival Rasoul's, the head of the Sultan's guards. Aladdin gulped. The swung down out of the sky to the ground below. The woman stepped down out of the chariot and pulled Aladdin after her. The approached another woman guarding the palace doors. No matter how he struggled, Aladdin couldn't free himself of the bonds.

"I found 'this' invading our land by air." The first woman dumped Aladdin on the ground at the guard's feet. "Take him to the dungeon and see he gets an audience with the queen in her time."

"This might be good," Aladdin told himself. "If I see their queen, I'll find out what happened to Dad." But he didn't have to wait long to find out. The guard threw him on the cell floor and locked the door with a bang. Struggling to a sitting position, Aladdin blinked. In the dimness he could make out another person coming toward him.

"Dad?" Aladdin asked. "Is that you?"

"Aladdin!" Cassim answered. "What are you doing here? How'd you know . . ." Cassim loosed the rope around his son.

"I went to visit you and Iago told me what happened, Dad," said Aladdin.

"You shouldn't have come, Son!"

"What else could I do?"

"Well, now we're both at the Warriors' mercy," Cassim said.

"Dad?" Aladdin asked. "Who are these women? What do they want with you?"

Cassim stretched out and paused before answering. Finally, he said, "These women are the Warriors of the Dark Diamonds. They are an army of female fighters. Not only are they physically stronger than any army of men alive; they also possess a dark magic that gives them supernatural powers to fight. It's been said they never lose a battle!" Cassim paused again before going on. "Many, many moons ago, when I was searching for that cursed Hand of Midas, I asked for the Warrior Queen's help on my quest, with the understanding when I got the hand, I would repay her. But as you know the story of the hand, I have not repaid her which is why she sent her warriors to capture me." Cassim groaned. "Allah only knows what fate she has in store for me." Aladdin put his hand on his father's shoulder.

"Whatever it is, Dad, we'll get out of it together!" Cassim reached over and ruffled Aladdin's hair playfully.

"Together, Son," he agreed.

Later that afternoon, the cell door swung open and four guards entered. Quickly they grabbed the prisoners and shackled their hands behind their backs. They were taken up the dungeon stairs and through a series of passageways until they came before two towering doors carved out of ebony and decorated with engravings of women hunting and fighting victoriously in battle. The doors opened to reveal a large marble throne room. The guards ushered Aladdin and Cassim inside. Aladdin's eyes moved from one side of the room to the other, taking it all in. ALl over the walls hung items of war: bows and the same long black arrows Iago had shown Aladdin, spears, swords, and more of the like. Sitting about the room were obvious trophies of war, great treasures taken as spoils of battle. Above the throne was a huge pair of antlers from some great beast. But the Queen herself was what held Aladdin's gaze the longest. She was at least seven feet tall, even sitting on her throne, she was impressive. The shapely curves of her body had a strong muscular appearance. Her skin was a dark tan that caused her dark blue eyes to shine brightly. Her lips were full and red. She had high cheekbones and flowing, thick black hair. She was the most fierce woman Aladdin had ever seen. He felt a shiver run down his spine. She wore a gown of shimmering black silk and a mantle of animal fur. In her hand was a long staff with a gleaming black crystal on it. The queen leaned forward in her throne as the two men were forced to kneel before her. Her gaze fell on Cassim.

"So, Cassim," she said. "Is it true what I heard? That the "mighty" King of Thieves has failed to retrieve the Golden Hand of Midas? Do you make light of the great debt you owe to me for my help?" Cassim started to answer, but the Queen held up her hand and went on angrily. "Do you know what happens to those who take advantage of--"

"Your Majesty, I assure you I had every intention of retrieving the hand and repaying you, but something unexpected happened!" Cassim went on to tell the story of how Aladdin had found him, and in the end how he decided his son was worth more than any treasure in the world. When he had finished, the Queen's eyes fell on Aladdin, as if noticing him for the first time. She beckoned to the guards, holding him, to bring her closer. She took his chin in her hand and examined his face from all angles. At last, she said:

"I cannot blame you, Cassim, for giving up the treasure for your son. If I had a boy like this, wouldn't I do the same?"

Cassim, in relief, let out the breath he'd been holding, but at her next words, sucked it back in again.

"I have reached my decision then," the queen said. "I will keep your son as payment for your debt."

"What?" Aladdin jerked back in disbelief.

"You can't do that!" Cassim cried angrily. "My son is not to be bartered with!"

The queen settled herself back in her throne and looked at Cassim through narrow eyes.

"Think yourself lucky that I consider him to be!" She then ordered her guards to throw Cassim out.

"Your Majesty . . . No!" Cassim shouted, but the guards pushed him out the door and closed them with a bang.

"Dad!" Aladdin tried to pull away from the guards holding him but their grips were like iron restrains. The queen turned to smile victoriously at Aladdin.

"When my friends find out, you'll regret this."

"When your friends find out, it'll be too late!" The queen signaled for her guards to take Aladdin away. "My guards will see to it that you are comfortably put up for the night."

After they had escorted him away, the queen's second in command turned to her and asked, "What are your plans for the 'prince of thieves'?"

"Tomorrow he will get his first taste from the Dark Diamond. After he is fully turned over to our side, I will proceed with marriage arrangements," the queen answered. "Agrabah will then come under our control, as they will not dare defy us when the boy is in my control!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, Cassim found the Carpet and Iago hiding in a tree just outside of the city wall.

"Come down here, you blasted rug!" he shouted. "We have to get to Agrabah right now!"

"Agrabah?!" squawked Iago. "We can't go there! They hate us! They'll throw us in the dungeon and . . ."

"Enough, Bird! My son is in danger because of me and I'll need some help to rescue him," Cassim interrupted gruffly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jasmine slipped between the cool sheets of hers and Aladdin's bed and gave a small sigh. SHe was glad Aladdin had taken some time off; he still wasn't completely adjusted to place life and badly needed the break. But Jasmine missed him. MIssed his strong arms around her and their whispered conversations which lasted far into the night. Jasmine turned over and blew out the lamp, closed her eyes and heard a voice call her name. She recognized the voice as belonging to Aladdin's father, Cassim. What was he doing here? she wondered.

"Princess Jasmine?" he called again. Jasmine got up and pulled on her robe, quickly making her way to the balcony where Cassim stood. Opening the curtain, she beckoned him in. It didn't take long for Cassim to tell her the facts. Jasmine sat down on the edge of the bed.

"My poor Aladdin," she whispered and not being one to waste time she sprang into action. PUtting on her brown peasant's robe, Jasmine grabbed Genie's lamp.

"Let's go!" she said. They boarded Carpet and got ready for the showdown.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dawn was just breaking as Aladdin awoke with a start at the strange surroundings. He was lying on the floor of a cold, stone room. It had a few furnishings, such as a bed and night stand. It all started coming back to him now. He started to try to think of a way out of it all and there was a sound of a key in the lock and the door pushed open. The queen and four of her guards entered.

Aladdin stood up, his fists clenched.

"Good morning, my pet," the queen greeted him. "I trust you slept well?"

Aladdin disregarded her question and glowered.

"I don't know what your plan is, lady, but I assure you, you won't get away with it!"

"Such a big attitude for such a little man!" the queen quipped. "But you will come with me, won't you? There is something I'd like to show you."

The guards stepped forward menacingly. Aladdin unclenched his hands and held them out. "Do I have a choice?" he sighed. With that, the queen turned and left. The guards escorted Aladdin after her.

They walked through several marble corridors till they came to an entrance into a spacious room. IN the middle of the room was a large, black gem. It's hypnotic light caught and kept Aladdin's gaze. He heard the queen's voice as if coming from a distance.

"Behold, the dark diamond. The source of our power. You will give into it and become one of us. Yes . . . yes . . ." She smiled as Aladdin drew nearer.

The queen reached out and placed his hand on the gem. Instantly, horrifying, dark, gothic images flooded Aladdin's mind. He felt a strange force flow through his body. Then suddenly, as if stung, he pulled away. "No, this isn't right . . . Jasmine!" his mind cried. But the queen pushed him back again and held him. Darkness started to engulf him again. But Aladdin fought back.

"No, I won't give in . . . for Jasmine's sake!"

The queen gasped. A small pinprick of light shown on Aladdin's forehead. It quickly grew into the shape of a diamond and shone brighter.

"A child of the pure diamond!" the queen said. "He can not be overcome by the darkness; therefore, he must be destroyed." She turned to her guards. "Quickly, execute him!" The light form the diamond now shone brightly, blinding the guards. Aladdin, his eyes closed, appeared to be in a trance. The light now focused in one beam directed at the dark diamond.

"Now, kill him before he destroys the dark diamond!" the queen shrieked.

"I don't think so, sister!" Jasmine shouted from the entrance.

The queen and her guards turned to see Jasmine, Cassim and Genie striding into the room.

"Time for 'time out' you bad girls!" Genie pulled his hair out of his head and snapped it into a rope. He lassoed the four guards and threw them into a corner. "Now, for your queen bee."

But the queen was faster; she blasted Genie with her staff.

"How dare you come here?!" she prepared to blast at the three intruders again. But was stopped by an ear piercing shriek and the sound of the dark diamond shattering. The beam of light from Aladdin had broken the gem. A swirling black hole appeared and it lifted the queen and her guards off the floor. It pulled them into the dark vacuum. Then it grew stronger and pulled in all the warrior women from outside the room and on the grounds. When all the warriors were gone, the dark hole closed up and disappeared. ALaddin fell to his knees and the image on his forehead faded out.

Jasmine ran to him and threw her arms around him. "Aladdin, are you all right?" she asked. "What was that?"

Aladdin opened his eyes. "I guess . . . I guess it had something to do with my being a diamond in the rough!"

"That's my boy!" Cassim laughed.

"Some vacation, Al!" exclaimed Genie. "You really gotta learn to relax!"

"Jasmine, let's go home! I think I'm ready to tackle diplomacy, in fact, I think I could tackle anything!" Aladdin laughed and they all joined in.

The End