Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
True Love's Test by Melitta
[Reviews - 4] Printer

- Text Size +
True Love’s Test By Melitta

One night in the city of Agrabah Aladdin was in his hovel getting ready to go to the palace. Princess Jasmine had invited him there for a night of dinner and dancing.

“Well how do I look?” Aladdin asked his friends.

“Oh Al, you look great.” Genie said.

The animals in the hovel just groaned. Iago and Abu were really getting sick of Aladdin thinking of nothing but Jasmine night and day. Tonight Aladdin was going to the palace for another date with Jasmine.

“I'm leaving now,” Aladdin said. “don't get into trouble when I'm gone.”

He then hopped on Carpet and rode to the palace eager to see Jasmine. He went to the formal reception room and saw Jasmine there waiting for him. He always knew she was beautiful but never as much as when he saw her in that moment. She was wearing a light aqua-blue off the shoulder dress with one of the largest diamonds he had ever seen around her neck. He landed and greeted her.

“Hello my Princess.” Aladdin said.

“Aladdin!” she said walking towards him “How are you?”

“Right now, I am the happiest person in the entire city.” he said smiling at her.

“That is so sweet,” she said smiling back at him.

Then all of a sudden the band started playing a wonderful song. They both felt the sudden need to dance.

“May I have this dance,” he asked very properly.

Laughing, Jasmine said “Of course.”

When they were finished dancing they spent the rest of the night laughing and talking. Finally the night was almost gone and it was time to say good night. (or good morning. It depends on how you look at it).

“Goodnight, my handsome prince.” Jasmine said dreamily.

“Sleep well princess.” Aladdin responded.

“Come again tomorrow, Okay?” Jasmine said.

“I can't wait for tomorrow to come so that I can see you again.” Aladdin said.

Then later that night when Jasmine was sleeping she never noticed the dark man with a pale face come in to her room. Mozenrath entered her chambers with a smug smirk on his face.

“This should be interesting, Xerxes.” he said to his familiar. “Aladdin and Jasmine claim that they are in love. On several occasions Aladdin has beaten me and he says it is the love that he has for the princess that makes him win. Both myself and Mirage have found that love might actually be a powerful weapon.” Smiling smugly he remembered Mirage’s failed attempt to prove that love is weak when she turned Jasmine into a snake creature and thought that Aladdin could not find the cure. “I will cast a spell on the princess to make her at least think that she has fallen out of love with Aladdin and even despise him. Then I will test to see how strong love is by seeing if they can break the spell, either way I can't lose.”

He then approached the sleeping princess and pulled out a spell book from his cloak and turned it to the marked page. He then started to chant in a language long dead and forgotten. When he had finished, he laughed his smug laugh and transported himself back to his Citadel in the Land of the Black Sand.

The next morning Aladdin woke up smiling. He had a dream that was about Jasmine and he went on a grand adventure together just the two of them there was no loud parrot, no squeaking monkey, and no shape-shifting genie. When he was thinking about the dream he suddenly had a great idea. “Why not just make the dream come true?” he asked himself. He jumped on carpet and started to fly to the palace and specifically, Jasmine’s balcony. When he arrived at her balcony he landed and called out her name. When she came out, he smiled and started to say, “Jasmine, I just had this great idea...”

But, she sharply cut him off and said rather meanly, “What are you doing here?”

Confused and a little hurt Aladdin said, “I don't know what you mean. I just was thinking about a dream last night about us going off on an adventure without Iago, Abu, or Genie. I just thought that you would want to go with me.”

“And why would I want to do that?” Jasmine asked him. “I am a princess, I don't have time to run around with a commoner on a foolish adventure.”

Aladdin said, “Jasmine what’s wrong. Did I do something to make you mad at me? Because if I did then I sincerely apologize for whatever it is I did.”

Jasmine said snidely “I don't think you can apologize for being born.”

Now really hurt, Aladdin said “Jasmine, I don't think that’s fair. Last night everything was just fine. What possibly could have changed overnight?

“Many things.” she responded coldly. “I think you should leave now.”

“Well, if that’s the way you feel.” Aladdin said. “I'll leave.”

And with that Aladdin slowly climbed on to carpet and slowly went back home to his hovel. There, he found that the rest of the gang was awake and ready to start the day.

Genie said “Hey Al, where have you been?”

Then Iago loudly said, “Well where you think he was. He was obviously at the palace.”

“Yes, I was at the palace” Aladdin said sadly.

“Al, what’s the matter?” Genie asked, concerned.

“It’s Jasmine. I went to see her today and ask if she would want to go on a carpet ride and she was really mad at me.” Aladdin said.

“What did you do?” Genie asked.

“That’s just it.” Aladdin said, frustrated. “I don't know. I asked if there was anything I did that made her mad and I tried to apologize for whatever I did but she just said that you can't apologize for being born. Then she told me to leave.”

“Oh, that sounds rough.” Iago said with a trace of concern is his voice.

“Eeek, eek” Abu chimed in sympathetically.

“Thanks guys” Aladdin said. “I am going to try and talk to the sultan and see if he knows what is going on.”

Later that day Aladdin went to the palace through the main gate and in to the throne room. He saw the sultan on the throne studying some papers.

“Sultan” Aladdin said quietly.

The sultan was startled at the sound of a voice and especially surprised when he saw that it belonged to Aladdin.

“My boy” the sultan said. “What are you doing here?”

“I want to talk to you about Jasmine” Aladdin said.

“Well I am sorry about it but I am afraid that there is nothing I can do. I tried to convince her to change her mind but she wouldn't,” the sultan said softly.

“What do you mean?” Aladdin asked now more confused than ever. “About what?”

“Well, the calling off of the engagement.” The sultan said bluntly.

“What!” Aladdin practically yelled.

“Jasmine told me just an hour ago that she no longer wanted to be wed to you.” the sultan said.

“Did she give you any kind of a reason?” Aladdin asked.

“Well all she said that it is as easy to fall out of love than it is to fall in love,” the sultan said “I am sorry my boy.”

“I have to talk to her and try and straighten this whole thing out.” Aladdin said with a determination in his voice.

He found Jasmine sitting in the menagerie. He slowly and quietly approached her as you would approach a wild animal.

“Jasmine” he said quietly.

“What is it?” she said fast and sharp.

“Please just let me talk to you.” Aladdin said.

“No.” she responded quickly.

“Why don't you want to marry me anymore? I at least need to know that much,” he said.

“You don't need to know anything.” She responded coldly.

“Jasmine, please.” he said desperately.

“Leave now Streetrat, before I call the guards and have you thrown out.” she said with a look that could make an onion cry.

Aladdin was stunned for a minute. He had been called streetrat before, many times in fact. But, he was called that by people who didn't matter, it was never Jasmine she was the one person who looked beyond his exterior and saw his worth that lies far within. But now, that one person who mattered to him more than anyone else had just called him a streetrat. Defeated and depressed Aladdin turned away and walked home very slowly.

Meanwhile, in the Land of the Black Sand, Mozenrath was watching all of the happenings in Agrabah and he could only smirk.

“Xerxes,” Mozenrath said happily, “look in how much pain Aladdin is in. No one suspects that the princess is under a spell that makes her hate who ever the spell tells her to hate. But now it is time to start the second part of my plan to truly test love.”

When Aladdin got back to his hovel later that evening he felt like someone had cut out his heart and smashed it into a million pieces. He saw his friends look at him with sympathetic eyes.

“How did it go?” Genie asked uncertainly.

“It’s over. I've lost Jasmine, she doesn't want to marry me any more.” Aladdin said sadly.

“Al, I'm so sorry.” Genie said sincerely.

“Yeah, me to Al.” Iago said unusually quiet.

“Eeep eeep.” Abu squeaked sadly.

Even Carpet looked sad. Aladdin resolved that the best thing for him to do was to take a quiet carpet ride by himself and clear his head and gain a fresh perspective on the situation. He flew away on carpet with no real place to go.

Mozenrath watched Aladdin coming closer to him. From his hiding place behind a large sand dune he could see that Aladdin was totally alone. He didn't even bring the Genie’s lamp. This was perfect for Mozenrath’s plan. When Aladdin flew right overhead Mozenrath send a powerful blast of his trademark bluish-black magic that sent Aladdin and carpet falling to the ground. When Aladdin woke up he saw that he was in heavy chains and that carpet was in what looked like anti-magic chains. But, who has anti-magic chains? He looked up and got his answer.

“Mozenrath!” Aladdin said. “What are you doing?”

Mozenrath smiled arrogantly “Oh not much just conducting a little test.”

“What do you mean?” Aladdin asked truly curious.

“Well it actually has to do with you and your girlfriend,” Mozenrath smiled. “Or is that ex-girlfriend now?”

“You monster!” Aladdin yelled, “What did you do to Jasmine?”

“Nothing really, just a little spell to make her hate who ever the spell tells her to hate.” he smiled villainously “In this particular case, it is you.”

“And that is why she was so mad and couldn't give a reason for it.” Aladdin said half angrily and half relived. “But what kind of test are you doing?”

“That is quite simple, I want to see how powerful love is. I will send a false report back to Agrabah that you have been killed and I will see if your love is powerful enough to break the spell.” Mozenrath said calmly.

“If you are going to do that then you have already lost, Mozenrath.” Aladdin said with more bravado then he felt.

“Oh, but Aladdin that is the best part, If the spell does get broken I will have the knowledge of how powerful love is and then when your precious princess comes to get me I will simply capture her and kill you both. And if the spell is not broken I will know how weak love is and I will still kill you.” Mozenrath said and smiled. “Now all I have to do is send word to Agrabah that I killed you, all I need is a little proof.” as he said this he grabbed Aladdin’s fez and vest, stained them with some blood that he pulled out of nothingness and ripped the vest. “But before I let everyone think that I killed you I will have to wait and let worry set in for a few days.

Two days later Genie, Abu, and Iago were really worried about Aladdin because he had been missing for two days. They decided to go to the palace and try and talk to Jasmine. When they got to the palace they found Jasmine sitting on her balcony.

“Um, princess?” Genie said almost scared.

“Yes Genie?” she said pleasantly.

“How are you doing?” he asked.

“I'm great, thank you for asking.” Jasmine said.

“Have you heard from Aladdin at all in the last couple of days?” he asked quietly.

“I do not want to talk about, him is that clear?” she snapped.

“Okay” Genie said in a small voice. “How is your father doing?” he asked, changing the subject.

“He is great.” Jasmine said sweetly.

Surprised at how nice Jasmine was being without mentioning Aladdin. Genie was surprised and curious at how the mention of his name seemed to instantly make her mad.

At the same time Aladdin and Mozenrath were watching this episode through a portal.

“So you see Aladdin, the spell only kicks in when someone mentions your name or if you are there.” Mozenrath explained arrogantly. “When she is around everyone else she just acts as nice and sweet as she always does. That is what makes my spell so hard to detect and even if your genie might have his suspicions about a spell he can't do anything about it.” He continued “And now it is time to see how she will react at your apparent death. I will even give the spell a chance to be broken, I will send a messenger that I created and I will have the messenger appear to be devastated by your death”

They both looked back to a portal and saw Jasmine sitting alone on her balcony (Genie had just left). The messenger slowly approached the princess.

“Princess Jasmine I am afraid I have some bad news for you.” He said softly. “Aladdin, was traveling through the desert on his magic carpet and he was murdered by that fiend Mozenrath.

Jasmine said suddenly, “I don't believe it. You are lying.”

At which point Mozenrath said “Well Aladdin it looks like your little princess does not love you as much as you thought she did.

“Wait until you see what happens when she sees that “proof” that you made, Mozenrath.” Aladdin said defiantly.

Then the messenger said “I am afraid it is true princess, Mozenrath stopped me on my way to the city and told me himself. He also gave me this as proof.” As the messenger said this he pulled out of his bag the bloody fez and the ripped vest that were no doubt Aladdin’s.

At the exact moment that Jasmine saw those clothes the spell was instantly broken. She grabbed the clothes and held them close to her and started to cry. Between her sobs a few words could be heard.

“He’s gone...The last I said to him was...I was so stupid” she sobbed.

This went on for about two hours in which time the sultan tried to console her with out much success.

“There, there dearest. It’s all right,” the sultan said for what seemed to be the thousandth time.

“Oh father those horrible things I said to him.” Jasmine cried.

“I must admit that it seemed awfully peculiar that in one day you broke off you engagement and all relations with him,” the sultan said.

“I just don't understand why.” Jasmine said. “He didn't do anything to make me mad but I was so mad at even the mention of his name. It was almost like I wasn't in control of myself.”

“I wonder if that might be the case,” the sultan said softly.

“What do you mean, father?” Jasmine asked.

“Well, since Aladdin has been in our lives there have been encounters with many different people who could cast certain spells,” the sultan said.

“Like a mind control spell” Jasmine said.

“Exactly” the sultan replied.

“I have to find Genie and the others to tell them about Aladdin and about the spell.” Jasmine said.

Mozenrath didn't think that the princess and her father could figure out that there was a spell placed upon her he also really didn't think that she could break the spell either. He was proved wrong in both counts. But he would never admit that. All of a sudden his thoughts were interrupted by Aladdin's voice.

“Well, Mozenrath,” he said, “It looks like love proved to be strong after all.”

Later that day Jasmine went to the hovel that Aladdin had lived in for many years and found his friends there looking tired. When they saw her they all turned away, they didn't want to talk to the person that had treated their friend so badly. A friend who had been missing for two days. She was hurt by their reaction to her but she could understand it. She wanted to turn away from herself. But then she remembered the reason she was there and began to talk.

“Look, guys I have to tell you something and it would be easier it I could look at you.” she said slowly.

Slowly one by one they all turned and faced the princess first Abu, then Genie, and lastly Iago. They then saw the great sadness in her face and became concerned.

“Jasmine, what’s wrong.” Genie asked.

She began slowly “A messenger arrived at the palace earlier today and told me that Aladdin had been killed by Mozenrath and the messenger gave me these as proof.” As she said that she pulled out the bloody fez and ripped vest.

The reactions among the group were simultaneous. Genie’s usual blue color faded to chalk-white. Abu started chattering in a nonsensical string of sounds. Iago for once in his life was speechless.

Jasmine started again. “There’s more, I know that I called off the engagement and treated Aladdin like dirt but there is a reason for it. I was put under a mind control spell that made me angry for no reason whenever Aladdin would come near me or when someone would mention his name. Genie, are there any tests you could do to prove my theory?”

“Well, yes all I have to do is scan you for any recent dark magic.” Genie said.

“Okay, do it please.” Jasmine said.

Then Genie pulled out a strange looking thing that he called a “tricorder” and he confirmed Jasmine’s suspicions.

“Well it looks like you were right” Genie said.

“Thank you Genie,” she said. “Now we have to come up with a plan to trap Mozenrath. He may have gotten away with things in the past but now he has gone too far.”

Over the next hour they came up with a fairly simple plan. Jasmine will take a horse in the direction of the dunes that Mozenrath confronted the messenger. Genie will hide in her necklace so he will not be detected. Iago and Abu will stay behind and be ready to call for help at anytime. On her way to the dunes Jasmine was suddenly stopped by a loud voice.

“Hello Princess,” Mozenrath said.

Jasmine looked at him with a look that could kill. “You monster, you killed my fiancé.”

“Correction Princess, your ex-fiancé.” Mozenrath as said offensively as possible. “I seem to remember you saying some mean things before I finished him off for you.”

“I was under a spell,” she said in her defense.

Mozenrath smiled and simply said, “I know.”

Then Jasmine realized that Mozenrath was behind everything she ran at him as fast as she could and almost succeeded but Mozenrath raised his right hand and hit Jasmine with a powerful blast of magic. He then transported her to the same holding cell that he was holding Aladdin in. As soon as Jasmine saw Aladdin all the anger and hurt that she had felt a few minutes before disappeared. He looked kind of pale but he was alive. She tried to say so many things at once that nothing came out. Finally she calmed down enough to say a few fragments.

She said “Aladdin, you're alive... I love you... I didn't mean any of those things I said to you...”

Aladdin simply smiled and said “Jasmine, I know. I know that you were under a spell. I know you thought I was dead. And most importantly I know you love me and I love you.”

They both moved closer together for a kiss and for warmth. Then Mozenrath appeared.

Mozenrath said “Well, Princess, you seem to have found your boyfriend safe and alive, for now. I have thought long about how I will kill you two for a long time. I just decided to smash you into tiny pieces. True, it does lack a certain eloquence about it but it’s just so much more fun.”

As soon as Genie heard this from his hiding place inside Jasmine’s necklace he decided it was time for action. He decided it would be best just to transport them as far away from Mozenrath as possible. He tried to use his powers but there was something draining them that made it hard to do anything. Then he saw the problem: Carpet’s anti-magic chains. He whispered to Jasmine about the problem with the chains and then she looked at Aladdin in a way that he understood the problem completely. Aladdin had a lock pick hidden in his shoe. Slowly he reached for it in a way that Mozenrath wouldn't notice. Then Aladdin got the lock pick in his hand and slowly undid his chains while Jasmine distracted Mozenrath.

Jasmine said, “So Mozenrath, how did you come up with this plan it seems a little too subtle for your tastes.”

Mozenrath, flattered for the first time in his life, didn't know what to say finally all he said was “Well I guess I just wanted a change because I was bored with my normal stuff.”

As Jasmine kept Mozenrath busy Aladdin slowly came closer to Carpet’s chains and got them undone. Aladdin then threw the chains out the highest window. Mozenrath saw this and was just getting ready to blast them into next week when Genie transported himself, Aladdin, and Jasmine out of there. Everybody was safe and sound.

When Iago and Abu saw that Aladdin was still alive they were the two happiest animals in Agrabah. Jasmine invited them all for a dinner at the palace. But, before that Jasmine and Aladdin had to explain to the sultan and everybody else what happened. After they were done explaining the story about Mozenrath and the spell to everyone Aladdin and Jasmine finally had some time to be alone.

“Aladdin, I just feel terrible about those horrible things I said to you a when I was under that spell.” Jasmine said looking down.

“Oh Jasmine, don't worry about it.” Aladdin said, “It wasn't you talking. The spell was controlling your thoughts whenever somebody mentioned my name or when I was around you. Now, please let’s talk about happy things now.”

“Like what?” Jasmine asked.

“Like how happy I am to be here with you right now.” He said, smiling.

Then Jasmine turned around to give him a hug when then all of a sudden he winced with pain.

“Aladdin,” she said alarmed. “What is it?”

“I think right before Genie transported us out of Mozenrath’s holding cell I got burned a little bit.” He said.

“Why didn't you say anything before?” she asked him.

“I honestly didn't really know it was there.” He said.

Jasmine took Aladdin to go see the doctor right away. There were just a few minor burns. But, Jasmine insisted on taking care of him. Aladdin really didn't mind because he would take any excuse he could just to be with Jasmine again.

Then dinner came fast and everyone was seated around the table talking about the events of the last week and the events of the future.

THE END

Disclaimer: All the characters portrayed in this story are property of Disney and are used without permission.

Note-This is my first Aladdin fanfic and I would like to thank Sedeara and Cyndi for their wonderful stories and the inspiration to write this story.