Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Gone by Katie Ann
[Reviews - 6] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Aladdin was so tired of all a sudden. It was as if he had been working and slaving away for years on end and then unexpectedly his body gave out on him. His body and his mind gave up on him and refused to function properly until they were refreshed and rested. He was emotionally drained and physically drained- he couldn't think, he couldn't move, and he could hardly feel anything else besides the constant bleeding of his heart.

The one and only thought he could think and see without much effort was the image of Roseau kissing Jasmine’s cheek... of their hands locked together as they talked... of his looks of love that he gave her... of her looks of love she gave him....

Aladdin stood up quickly as the images ate away at him and searched for something to kick. He couldn't find anything he thought was worthless enough, and thus merely kicked the air. He got more angry at the thought of his poverty and the thought that the only thing he could afford to kick was air- the only thing he could afford were the clothes on his back. He thought of the riches and splendor that Roseau probably blanketed Jasmine with- thought of the gifts and gems he could give her... the gifts and gems he probably already HAD given her....

“Oh... why me?”

Aladdin hung his head and ran his dirty fingers through his even dirtier hair. He cursed once more at his situation, and at his poverty. Why couldn't he be rich and live gloriously too? Why had fate long ago decided that he had to be poor? How was he supposed to match Roseau with luxury and opulence?

He had defeated monster upon monster upon sorcerer. He had vanquished evil demons and saved towns and cities every other day. And yet he still could not be considered good enough to marry a princess. Why? Why couldn't he simply have been born wealthy and handsome and charming? Why did he have to work for what he wanted? He thought of the comforts Roseau probably enjoyed everyday and knew that his own comforts paled in comparison. In fact, Aladdin thought all his features paled in comparison with Roseau’s. The red prince had wealth, power, charm, beauty and intellect. And most importantly, he had Jasmine.

Aladdin flopped down on the stone steps of his hovel and closed his eyes. He could think no longer. His mind kept telling him his love was lost forever and his heart kept dying with each second the red prince was around. With each second the red prince was remembered. Aladdin could take no more for the day.

“Oh... I'm a fool.”

“Ha! I think I've heard that one before.”

Aladdin opened his eyes widely at being addressed to and look around for the source of the loud voice. He saw a flash of red out of the corner of his eye and turned to see Iago laid down on his back, stretched out on a nearby pillow. Aladdin turned back around and closed his eyes again.

“You know, you should really look into getting some things that are replaceable around here. I saw you kick the air there a minute ago and you should be lucky 'ole blue-boy wasn't around to take a picture. That was something you certainly don't see everyday. I can see it now: Aladdin, the Air-Hater.” Aladdin gave no response to this and sighed deeply after a while. But Iago wasn't through just yet. “What’s a matter with you? The desert take away your sense of humor?”

Aladdin groaned. “Yes, Iago, I came back from the desert but forgot my sense of humor. Forgive me if I don't laugh at every attempt at a joke you make.”

Iago chuckled and then stood up and walked around the hovel. “You know, anyone else would take that as an insult, but not me.”

“What do you take that as?”

“Good teaching. Anyway, I bet that if that red prince was here, you'd have something to say.”

Aladdin opened his eyes at the mention of the name. He turned to look at Iago. “What do you mean?”

“I saw you and that Roseau guy all buddy-buddy yesterday at the palace. That guy has been mentioning you all the time since you left. Seems to think it was 'unique’ that Jasmine was friends with an interesting individual such as yourself. He seriously thinks he made a new friend! What a bozo, honestly.”

Aladdin’s eyebrows knotted for a moment. “you're not friends with him too?”

Iago rolled his tiny eyes. “Please. If some new guy came around saying how 'Novel it was that a parrot could talk’ would you like it? He goes around thinking that a flying carpet is spectacular, the monkey is cute, and I am just the most fascinating parrot he’s ever met. Sometimes I just want to-” Iago made some rude gestures in the air, “and then some of this, and a little of that and BAM.” He flew over to land on Aladdin’s knee. “Course, I knew I wouldn’t like him anyway. He thinks he can take the place of the greatest friend a guy could have and get away with it? He’s got nothing you have.”

It was Aladdin’s turn to laugh now. “HE hasn’t got anything that I have? Like what, fleas?”

“First off, we sprayed for insects in here a little while ago, so if you find fleas then the Genie is going to get a few choice words. Second, that guy hasn’t got any of the good qualities you do. And third, he has nothing on your hair. Seriously. That guy WISHES he had your wavy thing going on.”

Aladdin rolled his eyes, but didn’t say anything. He wanted to hear more about Prince Roseau from Iago, who seemed to be able to judge people fairly well in the past. Aladdin was extremely interested in Roseau- the man who had stolen the love of Aladdin’s life away from him, the man who Jasmine loved, the man who had replaced him. Aladdin starved with a hunger to learn more about the red prince, and everything that had occurred while he had been away.

Iago took notice of Aladdin’s reserve, and thought it was best to continue. “Besides, that guy is a regular chump. I mean, I saw all the other suitors Jasmine got before she met you, and each one was as stuck-up as a cow-lick. These guys ate, drank and lived annoying. And...when you...when you left, this Roseau comes in and acts all haughty-ha-ha. He’s rich, but he doesn’t flaunt it; he’s powerful, but he doesn’t show it; and he’s handsome, but he doesn’t play it. The red prince is everything a regular princess could want.” Iago hopped off Aladdin’s knee and onto the ledge. “But it’s a good thing for you that Jasmine is no regular princess.” He fluffed up his feathers and stared out at the palace and the sunset all swirled into a mass of color and emotion. “Look out there, Al. What do you see?”

Aladdin barely turned his gaze, but did manage to take a peak out the window before closing his eyes again. “The palace.”

“And that’s it? You don’t see anything else?”

Aladdin sighed and opened his eyes to stare out at the view Iago was insisting on. “I see the palace and the sun setting. I see the city peaceful and quiet. I see the moon beginning to rise. I see my life as it used to be before I left.” Aladdin started to choke up once more. “I guess life doesn’t wait for anyone, huh?”

Iago sat down on the ledge and kept his stare out at the spectacle. “Life is always moving. It doesn’t stop when you want it to and it doesn’t end when you need it to. Life just keeps going and if you don’t catch up to it, then you’re going to get left behind.”

Aladdin turned to look at Iago now. “What do you mean?”

Iago avoided Aladdin’s eyes and maintained his stare. “You wanna know what I see when I look out of this window? I see your path. You stayed here, on the outskirts of the city where you grew up, and were safe. And now your life is starting to take you towards this huge obstacle.”

Aladdin looked out the window. “The palace...”

“The palace is this big obstacle lying dead smack in your path. Now look to the left. There’s cliffs on the side. And the right? You got cliffs. So where you gonna go?” Iago said, finally looking up at Aladdin. “You can’t go the right way and you can’t go the left way. You can go back, but where would that lead? No, you got no choice but to go straight. Through the palace. Through your obstacle. And you’ve only one choice on what to do when you get there. Conquer it.”

Aladdin’s gaze got foggy. “Conquer it...” he murmured.

Iago flapped his wings and flew out the window. He began to fly to the place that had held his gaze for so long, but suddenly stopped short and turned back to face his old friend, still in the air. “You know, when you left everyone was dead without you. Jasmine lost that happiness she had when you were around, Genie wouldn’t even attempt to attempt being funny, the monkey wouldn’t even fight me, and I was actually NICE to people. Do you have any idea how much that tarnished my reputation? You gotta stick around, because I have a tough guy, short-tempered, selfish façade that I gotta keep up.” Iago began to turn around again, but over his shoulder, he managed to call out one thing. “The red prince wants to have you over tomorrow night for dinner at the palace. Dress nice, 'cause this guy throws one heck of a party.” And with that, he was gone into the mist of the sunset.

Aladdin’s eyebrows knitted in thought, and he followed the direction Iago had headed, and then looked over at the palace again. It was a sort of obstacle, Aladdin mused, and in a way he had no choice but to go through it.

Aladdin had already though of leaving, but the image of him by himself without any of his old friends burned a hole in his heart even more. He couldn’t imagine living without his friends, and the people he had grown to love. Heck, he would even miss Rasoul. No, running away was not the answer. It never was, and Aladdin knew he could never leave his home in Agrabah, surrounded with the people he cared for the most.

But then how was life going to be now? Would he even see his friends anymore? Would he get to laugh at Genie clowning around, would he get to go on treasure hunts with Iago, have Abu around when he stole to eat, have Carpet take him to places he had never dreamt of visiting? Would he even get to see Jasmine every so often, have the Sultan lecture him, have the guards give him dirty looks? What was his life going to be like now that everything was changed?

And what of Iago’s invitation? It was really Roseau’s invitation, but even thinking the name got Aladdin’s face turning different shades of angry. Should he go? What would he see if he did? Would Jasmine side with Roseau, and be wrapped up in him all evening? Would everything be tense and overwrought, so that no one enjoyed themselves? Aladdin knew HE at least wouldn’t enjoy himself... not unless the candle-holder caught Roseau’s head on fire... but what of everyone else?

Genie might side with Aladdin. Abu would most definitely. Carpet might too, but as he and Genie were also the friends of Jasmine, he wasn’t sure... it seemed like Iago didn’t like Roseau at all...but why? And the Sultan would most likely side with his daughter, wanting to protect her and all that. Aladdin thought of how the Sultan probably liked Roseau better than Aladdin already. The perfect prince for his perfect princess... and how the prince probably won the heart of Jasmine so easily....

A pain tore at Aladdin’s heart as he continued thinking, and he was not sure he should be angry, saddened, or both. Was he angry with Jasmine? He knew he couldn’t be. She meant too much to him- and she hadn’t really betrayed him. If anything Aladdin felt as though he betrayed her: he was the one who had been gone for so long, and he was the one who had left her completely. He wanted Jasmine to be happy, even if that meant she was to be with another. He would fight for her, no doubt about that, but if he saw that she was truly happy with Roseau, then Aladdin would immediately back off. At least he could say that now.

Aladdin paced the floor of his hovel, going up the steps, down the steps, ducking his head past the low beam hanging, and then back. He wasn’t sure he should go. He had a feeling that the red prince actually liked him, which he thought was odd, so it most likely wasn’t a trap. And Aladdin thought for sure if it was, Jasmine or at least someone would have put a stop to it. Then maybe it wasn’t a trap? But then why would Roseau want Aladdin over? Did he know the truth, and want to know more about the street-rat? Aladdin knew he wanted to know more about Roseau. That was a perfect reason for going. He could possibly find a hidden secret about the prince and expose it to win Jasmine over. But then could he do that to Roseau?

Most definitely.

Aladdin walked into the low hanging beam and fell to the floor. He rubbed his head at the source of the pain, but it barely crossed his mind. He was only focused on tomorrow evening, when the real climax would begin, and the real pain would start.

___________________________________________________________

Jasmine paced the floor of her own room. Her troubles wrapped around her and suffocated her mind and body, stopping her from all other thought besides the constant question of 'why?’. She was so caught up in the moment of thought, that she hardly noticed the soreness of her feet- but she kept walking, kept thinking, kept hurting.

Aladdin had showed up and she had been powerless to stop him from finding the truth. She was almost certain that she could of before. As soon as she saw Aladdin, she was sure she could simply forget about Roseau and live her life as it was prior to Aladdin’s disappearance- happy, loved and in her own private fairytale. She could have left everything, the moment she saw Aladdin’s tired face, and wanted nothing except to rush to him and soothe away his weary fears and sorrows. She wanted nothing except to go to him and be by his side, and forget all else. All else didn’t seem to matter.

She was sad at first, seeing his face, and then angry. He had left her, and she had died when she could not find him. She had died in mind, body and soul, and she could feel nothing but helpless. For years she had stopped caring about anything save finding him and bringing him back. She had been a dead body, who couldn’t fight a fly, and who couldn’t react to anything she saw, heard or felt. Her life had been swept dry like the wind swept the desert- and her heart felt as dry as the desert, too.

Aladdin had left her and she had been alone. She had known before that any life without Aladdin would be no life at all, and she had learned that when he had disappeared. Six years she had paced her floor anxiously, wondering where he could be; six years she had hardly laughed at anything; six years she had cried through the long nights and even longer days; and six years she had been without her rock, her happiness, her other half. And now he had returned, just as she was starting to put her life together and feel better again.

Jasmine felt so horrible about how she had treated Aladdin when he had come back. She had been cruel and selfish towards him- she had sheltered her feelings inside herself and had not let him into her heart all over again. She had practically told him that his presence was unwelcome- that he should leave her alone and let her continue to get over her grievance and move on with her life.

But then what life did she have without him? She had Roseau- a man that had won her heart before she could even put it back together- and she was happy with him. Happy wasn’t the right word... she was blissful when he was around. He was kind, caring, intelligent, sweet, funny, and handsome. He was brave, strong and proud. She loved him when she thought she could never love again. And she had betrayed Aladdin in doing so.

Wasn’t that right? She had betrayed Aladdin- gone against him and fell in love with someone else. She certainly felt guilty about it. Even though he had gone, she still should have waited longer... she should have waited longer than six years... for the rest of her life? Was she supposed to have waited forever for him to return? She had thought she could have been able to handle that, waiting for eternity, because deep down she knew that Aladdin had never really left her forever. She hoped and prayed to Allah every night for six years that he would return. And he had.

Jasmine stopped pacing and put her hand over her mouth. She was almost getting sick just thinking of her betrayal. With her other hand, she felt behind her for her bed, and upon touching the corner, sat down and closed her eyes. She could think no longer.

But she had to think. She had to think about the places Aladdin had gone, the things he had been forced to endure, and the enigma shrouding his disappearance. He hadn’t even realized he had been gone! His memory was blank and she felt even guiltier about it for some reason. Where had he gone to? What had he seen? Why had he left?

Why hadn’t she waited for him? Why had he come back now? Why did he act as though nothing was wrong? Was there something the matter with him? Was he sick? Had he been held prisoner somewhere? He had been made a slave in a distance land? Who had taken him away from her those six years ago?

And the big question in everyone’s mind: did she still love him?

Jasmine heard a knock at the door and sniffed a little before answering to the sound. “Yes? Who is it?”

“Jas? It’s me, Genie... can I come in?”

Jasmine proceeded to wipe a few tears away from her eyes before she responded. “Yes, Genie... come in.”

A large blue head poked into the room, surveying the sight, before Genie fully appeared. He closed the door behind him. “I thought I heard someone-” he saw the glaze of tears still evident on Jasmine’s cheeks and stopped. “Oh- never mind.” He floated over and sat on the other corner of Jasmine’s bed, getting her attention. “What’s the matter, Jasmine?” He looked in front of him when he realized what he had just said. “I guess that’s a really stupid question, huh? Let me try this again... Jasmine! You’ve just found out that your boyfriend for forever has just recently returned from the dead and your new finacee wants to tie the knot soon! What are you going to do next?”

Genie watched Jasmine’s eyes well up, and then literally kicked himself for not realizing the sensitivity of the moment. “Sorry...”

“No, Genie, it’s okay... I have no idea what I am going to do...” She looked over at him quickly. “What do I do?”

Genie was taken aback slightly. “You’re asking me?” Jasmine nodded fervently. “Oh... well...in that case...” He paused for a moment. “I don’t know what you should do either.”

Jasmine sighed and then stood up to begin her pace about the floor again. “I can’t forget about Aladdin- but I can’t forget about Roseau.... Aladdin and I had such wonderful times together, but I’ve loved the time I’ve spent with the red prince.... Aladdin left me when he swore on his life he never would-” she held up a hand at Genie’s near interruption, “but Roseau hasn’t been around long enough to make those types of promises....” Jasmine stopped suddenly and her shoulders slumped. “Oh... what am I going to do?”

Genie merely shrugged. “I say follow your heart. But then that’s what I’m supposed to say right? That’s what the general advice usually is? 'Go with the one that your heart wants the most, and forget about all other temptation.’ Isn’t that right? But I personally say that if you truly love someone, then there are no other temptations... that everything would make sense automatically, and thinking would have to find a job somewhere else.”

Jasmine leaned against her vanity. “Then does that mean that I never really loved Aladdin? That the time we spent together was a waste- that we were both lying to ourselves when we confessed our love?”

Genie stuck his tongue out at that. “No, of course not... there would be no temptation if you WEREN’T human. But you are, and there are always temptations. Not to say that Roseau is a Temptation... no he’s more of a sour Skittle... and Al’s more of a Tootsie-Roll, I think...”

Jasmine ignored Genie’s references to things she had no idea about and brought back the conversation to their century. “Then what am I supposed to do? Keep my promise to Roseau and marry him, forgetting about Aladdin and everything he’s meant to me, and all the joys I've shared with him...? or shun Roseau and lie to myself about all the wonderful feelings I have with him?

Genie shrugged once more. “It’s obviously not something you’re going to be able to decide in a day... just give it some time. Time is all you need. Or was it love?” He say the widened expression on Jasmine’s face. “But you already have too much of that, huh? Not to say that too much love is a bad thing, just when there’s too many people...” Jasmine’s eyes widened even more. “But then we need more people in the world who love each other...and one less you loves you I’m afraid....” Jasmine closed her eyes now and waved Genie off. “Yeah, I should go before I have to eat my other foot too. 'Night Jas, and remember- time is all you need. Or was it-” But Genie had already glided through the door by then, and Jasmine had hardly taken notice.

Her mind was on more important matters- what she should do, who she should be with, and who she was going to hurt in the end, herself not included.

___________________________________________________________

What was there to do but wait?

Aladdin struggled to straighten the collar on his outfit for the fifth time. It looked fine already, to him at least, but he wanted it to look great. HE wanted to look great. The pressure of being compared to Prince Roseau was already too much to bear, and Aladdin wanted to make sure he looked sophisticated enough to impress the man. He wanted the red prince to know that he wasn’t just some street rat, or some urchin- he was a man just as good as any and was worthy to be welcomed into the palace.

Aladdin clapped his hands nervously before rubbing them together. The small cracked mirror in the corner of his hovel showed a young, well dressed man, who had a nervous, almost nauseous look about him. Was that even himself? Yes- he could see his eyes through the mess that was his appearance. But they were worn down, tired and sagged under his eyebrows. Aladdin lightly slapped the side of his face to wake it up a bit and look more vibrant, however all he got were a few red marks near his cheeks.

He began pacing again. It was a new hobby he noticed he had obtained. Pacing meant thinking, and thinking meant pacing. The two went hand and hand and Aladdin wondered whether he would ever be able to think without walking when this was all over.

Would it be over tonight? He hoped so, even prayed for it, but knew deep down that the tribulations for him were only just beginning. Having been through six years without ever knowing what he was doing, he knew that he was past due for more problems and more enemies and more attacks. The question was whether the attacks would be on his body or his heart. Or both.

Jasmine was the main concern now, just as she had been since the first time Aladdin has seen her. For one glorious year he had been with her and loved her without anything disturbing that love. He had been happy, prosperous, and he had been ready for anything that life had to throw at him, and often life had thrown armfuls at him all at once. But now things were different. Things were changed. Things would always been changed.

Aladdin thought of how he would get Jasmine back, but mostly he thought of how things would be like if he did get her back. Would she fully love him again? Would she ever regret being with him? From what he had seen out of her the day after he had returned, she was almost sad that he had come back. Would she stand by him for all time now? Or would she be always thinking of the past, always remembering, always wishing that things had stayed how they were, and that fate hadn’t twisted her life around and made things difficult?

Would Jasmine want to be with Roseau now, or Aladdin? The hero had mused all day about how things had probably been easier when Jasmine had been with Roseau. With Aladdin, she had always been running around, fighting villains and monsters, and saving town and child. Roseau probably still brought Jasmine adventure, but not danger. Jasmine was probably happy with Roseau, for he more than likely had never endangered her life.

Sighing for what seemed like the hundredth time since he had come home, Aladdin sat down in the corner of his hovel and stared at the dirt on the floor. He had always tried to keep the place clean, but never could manage it. Thinking of how dirty his life was, and how miserable he was now, Aladdin did the involuntary thing he had done since he could remember- he turned to look at the palace.

Whenever he had been upset, angry, sadden, or even content, Aladdin would look out at the palace and feel enlightened. His mood would change as the sands change with the winds- he would feel better about himself instantly. Looking at the palace, he remembered his dreams. He would see the towering mark of splendor and know that someday he would have one to rival it- he wasn’t always going to be a street rat, and he wasn’t always going to marvel at other people’s riches and glory. He would soon find his own.

Aladdin rolled his eyes, thinking for a moment that anyone else might consider him to have glory already. He was a hero, after all, right? Aladdin, arms folded in front of him, looked down at the street below him, where bursts of people were coming and going, paying little attention to him. Like always. He wondered if they would see him if he suddenly became the Sultan of Agrabah. But then thinking that got his heart aching, and he was forced to turn his attention and focus in on a little boy, no more than eleven, who was wandering around in the street below, playing with a little wooden sword.

“Ha! And that! Watch out for me, you scurvy, plundering jackal! I got you now!” He went about, thrashing his sword around, nearly hitting the people around him, who had to duck out of the way to avoid getting clobbered. He yelled out a quick apology to each as he continued. “Sorry, Miss Fashoda! Oh, I’ll get you next, you sundering knight! Going after innocent ladies, eh? We’ll see about that!” He kept leaping forward, as if to stab an invisible enemy, one only he could see and hear. “What’s that? You surrender? Ha!” He threw his sword into the air, arms lifted. “Satyagraha wins again! I am victorious!” He went about, flapping his arms and dancing around.

“Satyagraha! Just what do you think you are doing?!” A very angry middle-age woman, apparently the boy’s mother, jogged up and took the sword away from him. “I’ve told you not to play with your sword in the middle of the street! You could hurt someone!”

“But Momma!” The boy protested. “I need to train to become a brave hero!”

The mother put her hands on her hips, with a doubtful look shrouding her features. “Oh, is that so? I suppose you know, then, the very first rule of becoming a hero?”

The boy looked surprised. “There are rules? What’s the first one?”

The mother grinned slightly, but kept a stern look. “The first rule of becoming a hero is this: always listen to your mother.” She went to grab the boy by the arm to lead him away, but the boy jumped back.

“No it’s not!” He laughed his child’s laugh. “That’s not the first rule!”

“Oh?” Asked the mother, hands on her hips again. “Then what do you think it is?”

The boy paused for a moment, and Aladdin almost wanted to yell out to him, but only kept watching the pair. “Um....” The boy looked up abruptly and saw Aladdin. “Hey! I bet he knows! He’s a hero!”

The mother looked up and caught Aladdin’s stare. “How do you know that, Saty?” She muttered, seeing Aladdin but not wanting him to hear her.

“I seen him! I seen him on his flying carpet! Do you have a flying carpet, mister?” Aladdin, taken aback, nodded his head slowly. “See! I told you. I seen him on his magic carpet, that flies around!” The boy spread out his arms and ran around his mother, imitating a bird. “Zoom! And he fought off monsters too! Huh, mister, you did, huh!”

Aladdin looked over at the mother, and saw that she was again sporting a doubtful look on her face, as though she doubted that Aladdin had fought off anything except angry merchants. But she soon saw his price-like outfit, and glanced at her son quickly.

“I think we should be going now, Satygraha. Stop annoying the rich man and let’s go.”

“No Momma! That man is a hero! Tell her mister! Tell her!”

Aladdin smiled at the kid, and thought for a moment. He shrugged his shoulders and then called out to the pair. “Do I look like a hero to you?” He asked, almost intrigued by this concept.

The boy pulled away from his mother, who was trying to lead him away again, and nodded enthusiastically. “Yeah! Yeah! I seen you! You saved the people! I seen it! You’re...” he cast a surprised look for a moment. “I don’t know what you’re name is.” He shrugged.

His mother, anxious, tried to talk him away. “Saty, you were too little. I’ve not seen this man for some time, and I think you can not remember him. You were too little.”

The boy turned his mother. “I was a kid then, Momma, but I remember! That’s the hero I talked about before! That’s him! Remember me talking about him Momma? Remember?”

The mother looked up at Aladdin, mysteriously. “I remember him, Saty, but you should not. You were too little.”

Aladdin simply stared at the pair, afraid to speak again. He didn’t want to scare them away. But the young boy was almost through.

“That man is a hero. I know his is. I seen it. I seen it. And when I grow up, I want to be just like him!” He waved to Aladdin and then grabbed his sword from his mother before taking off down the street towards his home, calling out “Bye, hero, bye!” as he went. His mother, surprised and yet relieved, gave Aladdin one last, solemn look. Then, shocking Aladdin, she bowed her head slightly and followed her son around the corner.

It was bizarre to Aladdin that some strangers he had never seen before had thought of him so highly- as if they knew him from before when he didn’t even know himself. He smiled after they had gone, and wished that things were the same as before- like he had every moment he had gotten back.

He chuckled at the little boy- so much like himself when he was young. Aladdin hadn’t really dreamed of being a hero, like the little boy, but he knew his passion and knew his dreams just as he knew his own. The little boy was like a symbol, a symbol to Aladdin’s past and times gone by where everything had made sense and his heart had been full and untouched. His heart had been full, but not of love. It had been untouched, but not in a good way. Aladdin had had no friends, no companions, and no one to love or to love him. He had had nothing, as he did now.

Abruptly came the noise that Aladdin almost knew had been coming: the noise of ten-thousand year old magic coming to life again. Aladdin turned his out-of-focused stare from the street to the inside of his hovel, where he saw a lot of blue in a little space.

“Honey, honey, honey.... You aren’t actually going to wear that are you? Fashion rule number 33- never match gold with gray. And the hair- could you have used enough mousse?” A female version of Genie, who looked almost like Melissa Rivers, was standing next to Aladdin, turning him around and examining his outfit. She/he ran her/his fingers through Aladdin’s hair and then pursed his/her lips together. “Okay, so you didn’t even use mousse...well, I have to say, for this type of occasion and with your facial structure, I would have avoided the turban, but what can I say, you’re the man!” Genie picked up Aladdin’s turban, gave it a twirl as though it was a basketball, and then neatly placing it on Aladdin’s head again.

“You’re sure this is the right outfit though? I don’t have to escort you the fashion police?” Aladdin looked at him, bewildered, and wondering what on Earth the 'fashion police’ was.

“I think I look okay...” then Aladdin remembered what Genie had done, and dropped his casual, out-of-habit manner with the jinni. “Why, did Roseau already wear this last season? Am I not allowed to wear the same things as the red prince, in all his might and glory?”

Genie popped back into his regular form and looked away from Aladdin. “I didn’t mean it like that, Al... I was only kidding...”

Aladdin shrugged angrily. “Well, did he wear this last season? Did he wear something like this when he met Jasmine? Was he wearing this when he replaced me?”

Genie stepped (er, floated back) a pace before looking up at Aladdin. “He’s never worn anything like that before. And he could never take your place.”

Aladdin chortled irritably. “Oh yeah? Then why is he hanging out with my friends, roaming through my city, loving my girl? Why does everyone like him better than me? Why does everyone want to be with him instead of me? Why?”

Genie laughed unexpectedly at Aladdin’s bitterness. “When Iago said you were a bit grouchy, I had no idea he meant this much.”

“Hey, I can be grouchy when I want to be grouchy.” Aladdin folded and then unfolded his arms from in front of his chest. “Just how am I supposed to act when I come to find out that I’ve been gone for six years, I have no idea of where I was, and some late suitor comes and steals away my whole life in a matter of weeks?”

Genie waved off in objection. “He’s been here longer than a matter of weeks.” He sighed when he heard the words come out of his mouth, and laughed anxiously. “I mean, he HASN’T been here for a matter of weeks...he he...”

Aladdin sat down again and looked out at the palace once more. Genie stood there, however, thinking of what he could do to cheer his friend up when even he felt depressed at the thought of Roseau taking Aladdin’s place. “Well, look on the bright side! At least you’ll always have your keen fashion sense...” Aladdin didn’t respond at all. “Um... yeah...” Genie was getting sadder and sadder with every moment he looked at his broken down friend, and got more and more helpless. “Do you have any salt, because I think it would go great with my foot right about now...”

Aladdin turned his head ever so slightly and look at Genie with a stare that could have broken anybody. Genie saw the most sadness in Aladdin’s eyes than he ever knew existed. It was almost as if Genie could SEE Aladdin’s troubles, floating around in his deep, brown eyes, and SEE his hardships show themselves in the white next to them. It was frightening, and Genie couldn’t really take anymore of it.

“For Allah’s sake Al! Snap out of it! You haven’t lost yet! Remember the time Prince Uncouthma came to town? And you and I both thought that you were going to lose Jasmine? What did you do? You fought for her and won!” Aladdin shook his head, refusing to believe Genie’s words.

“She didn’t really hate me, though... she was only trying to get me jealous...”

Genie rolled his eyes. “Okay, okay then... what about when you first met Iam Aghoul? And he was going to lock Jasmine up in his great big, butt-ugly palace and make her his bride? You fought then and you won!”

Aladdin shook his head again. “Only because you helped. I keep beating myself up over it and never would have saved her had it been for you.”

Genie, desperate and annoyed, kept going. “What about when Sadira tricked you into being her knight in shining armor? Or when Saleen tried to lock Jasmine under the sea so she could steal you away from her? Or when Abis Mal tricked Jasmine into thinking she was the scourge of the desert? What then? You fought for her Al, and every time you won! Why would now be any different?”

Aladdin was starting to get pretty angry, and pretty upset. “I won those times Genie because I knew that Jasmine loved me as much as I love her. But now IS different, Genie. Now, you can’t help me, now she can’t help me...now no one can help me if I’m not in her heart. No one can help me win her back because she can’t be won back. Not now... not when she has joy and happiness at her fingertips. Not when she is close to the thing she has been longing for since before I met her... not when she has love.”

Genie sank into the ground and his shoulders fell. “Man, you really know how to bring a guy down...”

Aladdin wiped a single tear from his face before Genie could see. He saw anyway. “Jasmine has this whole new life now... and I want her to be happy... but I want to be the one to make her happy. I want to love her and be there for her. I want to be the guy I was six years ago.”

Genie shook his own head now. “What, missing in action? Aladdin, what Jasmine needs right now is for things to stop being shook up. When you left it was like Jafar had stuck her in an hour-glass again- she was in the frail spot, where she could see everything and yet not see everything she wanted to, where she could breathe but the sand was slowly swallowing her up. She’s been like that since you left. Being with Roseau has brightened her days, I’ll tell you that, but it hasn’t made her the same as before. She hasn’t been the same happy-go-lucky person she was when she was with you. And she probably won’t be until she’s back with you.”

Aladdin looked over at Genie, who was floating himself out of the floor. “You really think that I can get her back? That we can get on with our lives and be happy again?”

Genie smiled genuinely. “Hey, if a street rat could have come this far...why stop here? Why stop now? Why not win?”

Aladdin smiled slowly, and then shocked himself and Genie when it suddenly spread across his face openly and fully for the first time in a few days. “Yeah... yeah...” He stood up and squeezed his hand into a fist. “Why should I stop now? Just because Roseau is handsome and rich and charismatic doesn’t mean that he can beat me.”

“Yeah, not unless he has a really cool car could he beat you now.”

Aladdin looked over at Genie strangely. “What’s a car?” Genie shook his head, muttering something like, 'Chicks dig cars, dude’ under his breath. “Anyway, you’re right, I am the man.” He pounded his fist onto the palm of this other hand. “Maybe of constant sorrow... but all that’s going to change right now. I’m going to go over to that palace, show them all what I’m made of, and win her back.” He grinned enthusiastically and started to walk forward, apparently ready to tackle anything now. Genie quickly held up a hand to halt him though.

“Yeah, you’re ready to go... but you’re clothes aren’t. I wasn’t really kidding when I asked if you were wearing that.” He smiled apprehensively. “I mean... where DID you get that outfit?”

Aladdin looked confused. “I found it in here yesterday.”

Genie rolled his eyes and smiled doubly at his friend. “And you’re just going to wear that now?” He popped back into Melissa Rivers. “Oh, darling, I wouldn’t be caught dead in that outfit even if I WASN’T a celebrity. What you need is a bit more color, a bit more class, and a lot more attitude. Remember, you own the room you walk into. At least you do if you’re me...” He tapped a finger to his lips, and stuck his tongue out, deep in thought. “Ah ha! I think this is what you need!” He snapped his fingers near Aladdin’s shoulder and suddenly Aladdin was wearing a white sailor’s shirt with jeans and large, black boots. His fez was missing and he had a forced, prince-like smile about him.

“Ah...Genie...” he said through clenched teeth.

“Hmm, a bit too under the sea and not enough individuality. Keep it if you’re searching for a pretty little red-head, but here...” He snapped his fingers and Aladdin’s clothes where changed again. This time he was wearing a formal outfit, with shoulder pads on either side, a stiff collar around his neck, as though he were in the military or was some form of foreign royalty. But this time he could move his lips and teeth.

“What the...”

Genie cut him off, shaking his head and circling Aladdin. “Tsk, tsk, now you look like every other prince charming... but at least you can choose the blonde or the brunette this time.” He snapped his fingers one last time and seemed satisfied. “That’s better. It suits you I think.”

Aladdin looked over his clothes and found that he was wearing what he normally wore everyday only... much nicer. His vest was embroidered with gold stitching front and back; his pants were clean cut and, well, clean; his sash was a much deeper, velvety red that fit perfectly; and his feet were covered with nice, dark brown boots. The only thing missing was his fez, which Aladdin absentmindedly tried to adjust.

“I thought it would go better without. Show off your new clean hair.” Genie explained. Aladdin ran his fingers through his hair was shocked to not see any sort of dust or dirt. Genie swirled himself about a bit until he was wearing an ugly gray suit with a blonde toupee falling off his head. “Dirt-Be-Gone! Works well with tile floors, cement walkways, those hard to reach places around the bathroom, and dirty hair! It’s only three easy payments of $29.99! And when you act now, you’ll also get Doubt-Be-Gone! Works perfectly with Dirt-Be-Gone to free the mind of any doubt and sadness that can accompany poverty and the chance of losing a loved with. Order now!” Genie stopped and changed back into his regular form. “Now go out there and show everyone what Aladdin can really do.”

Aladdin smiled, gave Genie a quick hug, and then left his hovel, his destination the palace and his goal to win back the woman he loved.

___________________________________________________________

Aladdin arrived shortly at the palace with fresh optimism in mind and a dazzling appearance to help lift his confidence. He was a bit apprehensive at the thought of confronting Jasmine again, but then comforted at the thought of perhaps winning her back. He wasn’t so certain that the time and place to win her back was now; maybe he should wait and she would forget about Roseau herself? Maybe she would see Aladdin at this dinner party and remember how much she loved him?

But if she didn’t then Aladdin would fight- he didn’t know any other way.

He took the steps leading to the throne room three at a time- the excitement and anxiety rushing through his body as he slowly opened the door and peered inside. There was no one in the room, and he cautiously let himself in and closed the door. Now he started to worry. Where was everyone? Was this some kind of joke, or where they holding the party in another room?

At that moment Carpet flew into the room, apparently looking for something. He hadn’t really noticed Aladdin, and when he picked up a blood-red necklace that had been near the throne, Aladdin spoke up so the rug wouldn’t leave him behind.

“Carpet! Wait!” Aladdin walked over to the flying mat and smiled tensely. “I’m supposed to be here for this dinner party... and...”

But Aladdin didn’t have to say anything else. When Carpet had seen him he fly back in surprise and then circled around Aladdin to let him know he knew what he was speaking of. He pointed with one of his tassels to the door on the left and gave a nudge to get Aladdin to follow him.

“They’re out there? In the garden? They never used to have parties there before...” But Carpet merely shrugged and began to fly out in towards the fountain. Aladdin, brows knitted, followed closely behind and quickly looked to around to see where everyone was.

Perhaps it was because it was nighttime; or perhaps it was because Aladdin wasn’t used to seeing the place so often, but to him the garden looked completely different than it regularly did. There were lights dazzling the tips of the trees and walkways with gold and red décor lining the tables and chairs. Bouquets of white lilies and red roses adorned the tabletops and the fountain itself was completely unrecognizable. It was now a red color and it was not shaped like a flower anymore, but like a crown- a king’s crown with rubies and sapphires incrusted in the sides. It was a more golden color and lit up the entire garden as though it were a light itself.

Aladdin moved slowly down the steps, trying to take it all in and confused at the change in decoration. Was he even in the same palace? He could remember nothing that was in the area now. Where was the birdcage that used to hold doves and other birds to be tended to for wounds and injuries? Where were the apple trees that had given the garden a sense of normalcy? And where was the flower-shaped fountain where he and Jasmine had splashed water and watched from above in Jasmine’s balcony?

He was so lost, that he hardly noticed there were hundreds of other people walking around him and talking busily amongst themselves. But when Aladdin finally heard his name being called out by some far-off voice, he came back to reality.

“Aladdin! Ah, Jasmine, there he is!”

Roseau hurriedly walked over to greet Aladdin with a shake of a hand and a pat on the back. “So glad you came! Have you been here long?”

Aladdin stared stupidly at him for a moment and then shook his head. “No, I only just got here.”

“Ah, excellent then. You’re just in time. We were just about to start dinner and then get on with the dancing.”

Aladdin had been looking at the fountain, still in amazement when he thought he heard wrong. “Dancing? Did you say dancing?”

Roseau, always the perky fellow, smiled eagerly. “Yes, dancing! Isn’t that marvelous? And I must say,” he said, bringing down the volume of his voice and leaning towards Aladdin. “There are quite a few lovely looking ladies here, so I would hurry and find a good one to be your partner tonight.” He brought his voice back to a normal tone. “But then speaking of beautiful women, have you seen Jasmine yet tonight? I’m sure she’d like to welcome you here after she’s done with all the guests.”

Oh, yes, Aladdin had almost forgotten about Jasmine for a moment, and his eyes searched the crowd for her stunning eyes and long, black hair. He quickly found her amidst a large groups of guests, talking to all of them and apparently not worrying about a thing. She kept his stare for so long that it was almost impossible for her not to see him staring back, and when she finally saw him, she stopped talking and held her breath.

And that was how it was- Jasmine and Aladdin, staring at each other from across the crowded garden, in the dim lighting and somehow seeing one another more clearly than ever. Time itself had stopped- there were no other people, no other problems, just the stare they both shared and knew they couldn’t break. But had to.

Roseau saw Aladdin staring and followed his eyes to where Jasmine was. He looked back at Aladdin to make sure this was what he was looking at, and then gave an uneasy laugh. “There she is then. Aladdin...” he said, grabbing Aladdin by the arm and trying to get his attention. “Aladdin?”

Jasmine saw Roseau tugging on Aladdin’s arm and turned her mind to one of her guests, who had been speaking and was asking for her opinion on the war. The bond was broken and try as Aladdin might to reconnect it, he knew he had lost it, at least for the time being.

Roseau, finally able to receive Aladdin’s attention, pulled on his arm and pointed towards the open garden. “I don’t suppose you’d like to meet with some guests? I wonder if you know anyone here already? Come, I’ll introduce you to the finest people I know and then we shall commence with the feast.”

Aladdin had no other choice but to allow himself to be dragged off by the red prince. Many people stared at him strangely as he walked with the man he barely knew, as though wondering why the prince, with so much wealth and splendor, was walking with a man who did not appear to have a gold coin to his name. Aladdin didn’t think he looked too bad- after all Genie had fixed him up and his clothes were not ragged and grimy anymore. But for some reason, Aladdin had always noticed, those who were rich could tell when one of the number among them wasn’t rich like them; those who were rich could tell that someone was 'new money’ and not like themselves at all. Aladdin felt like that now, as hundreds of pairs of eyes turned to look at him and examine him with a scornful smile.

Roseau stopped pulling Aladdin around the room and halted in front of an elderly man who had been delighting the group around him with no doubt a story of some sort. Roseau pulled Aladdin up front and introduced him rather genially to the group and told them all of how they had met. “...stormed in one day in the palace and completely surprised me with his attire and good nature. Opposites, they were, when we met, you see. And then right away we got along so well that I simply had to invite him to the party- besides, he is a friend of my fiancée.” Aladdin found himself ceasing his forced and nervous smile and looked at Roseau through blackened eyes. “And a friend of Genie as well. Have you all met Genie? Splendid spirit, he is. Why, look, there he is now, with Jasmine’s pet bird and monkey! And there, look, can you see? She also has a flying carpet!” There was a murmur of interest in the surrounding group as they looked over to see the blue, see-through jinnee and the rug that had sailed over Abu to stop Iago from attacking.

“Where did she find such an extraordinary pair? I say, I haven’t seen a magic carpet in years!” Remarked the older man, as he clapped his hand on Roseau’s shoulder in a fatherly way.

“I asked her when I first saw them, and she simply refused to tell me. I have since asked her and the answer is always, 'I didn’t find them. They came here.’ Isn’t that interesting? Honestly, that group has such a good sense of humor beyond anything I’ve ever seen before! Except perhaps the red bird there- he’s a bit temperamental.”

The group turned their attention back to Aladdin. The elderly man looked sternly at Aladdin and questioned him the way a guard would a prisoner. “So, Aladdin was it? How do you like it in the palace? Are you here often?”

Afraid to get the question wrong and to see what the older man would do, Aladdin answered apprehensively. “I like the palace very much. It’s a beautiful place, like the market and city around it. I used to come here often a few years ago, but I’ve been gone for a while and only just returned.”

“And where did you return from?” Asked a large woman, with diamonds to match her size.

“Uh...” Aladdin thought quickly, not wanting to sound like an idiot in front of all the rich royals, “it’s all very dreadful, my past adventures, and it still stings to think about it.”

The crowd looked at one another knowingly. “Say no more,” the woman said, “not another word on the subject.”

Aladdin smiled nervously and tried to bring up the mood a bit. “Have you heard the one about the scorpion and the mad sorcerer...?” but luckily Iago had flapped his way over to land on Aladdin’s shoulder before he could continue.

“How is everyone here doing this fine evening?” he asked, his tone taking after a serious person, not like his usual voice at all. “Prince Roseau does know how to throw a splendid party, wouldn’t you say?” The group smiled lightly, amused with the characteristics of the talking bird. “Now, I must ask that you excuse my dear friend Aladdin here- there are others who wish to steal him away from you gracious people.” Again, the group smiled and nodded Aladdin off.

Aladdin turned and looked up at Iago, a playful grin and knowing smile on his own face. “What was that about? Since when did you learn manners?”

Iago retained his oily and fake voice even when talking to just Aladdin. “My dear fellow, when one is around gracious people such as these, one must learn to act in a manner accordingly.” He suddenly dropped his voice and tone and found his old behavior again. “Besides, have you seen the jewels these people are wearing around here? A bird like me could use a new home with generous people who like to give all their gold away. Heck, maybe if I act pleasant and charming enough I might find a few jewels adorning my own neck by the end of tonight. You should be glad, too, that I found you when I did. The one about the scorpion and the mad sorcerer? Please, that joke must be older than the idiot over there dressed in all blue.” He pointed over to Genie and continued. “I can see that I need to watch you tonight to make sure you don’t make a fool of yourself. How will you ever get Jasmine back if you do?”

He had touched a nerve and he knew it. Aladdin sighed and nodded. “All right then, Mr. Etiquette, what do I do now?”

The bird chuckled and jabbed his thumb towards the large dinner table to the left. “Dinner is served. Find your name on your place setting and sit down fast.”

Aladdin saw others start towards the table as he went to look for his name. He thought how silly it was to place people at certain spots ahead of time, and how foolish he must look trying to find his own name. All the others had sent a servant to find their place for them, and Aladdin found himself quickly searching down the long table for his seat.

He was surprised to find it near the head of the table and then sighed tiredly when he saw who he was sitting by. On his left he had the red prince himself, while across from him he had Jasmine. It was exactly the type of situation he wanted to be in- uncomfortable and tense. The only comfort was that Genie was on his right (a familiar face, at least) and the Sultan was on the other side of Roseau. Aladdin quickly took his seat as quite a few others followed him as they all waited for the Sultan to appear.

Aladdin sighed more when he saw who was sitting next to Jasmine- the elderly man from before. Aladdin was anxious to get the feast over with quickly so he could talk in private with Jasmine and get away from the red prince. Roseau was trying to be friendly and kind, Aladdin would grant him that, but the mere thought of Roseau and Jasmine together sent color to Aladdin’s already tanned cheeks. He wasn’t looking forward to spending nearly an hour sitting next to the man, that was for certain.

Finally, the rest of the guests managed to take their seats as they looked for the Sultan to sit down at the head of the table. The Sultan arrived a minute after, dressed in a cool silk from head to toe. He glanced around the table as he passed, the people he approached standing up to show respect. The Sultan merely smiled and found his way to the his seat, where he stood for a moment before gesturing for the entire table to sit and relax. Everyone sat down again, and at once servants began sweeping over the table, with large orders on both hands as they placed the already requested dinners in front of the patrons. Aladdin again looked around anxiously-he hadn’t told anyone what he wanted before he had arrived. Would he even get any food? Was he supposed to sit there and look like a buffoon while everyone else enjoyed their meal?

But then a servant came up from behind and laid a plate before Aladdin along with utensils and a glass of wine. Aladdin looked down and saw that the food was exactly what he would have ordered. Confused, he looked up at Genie and then over at Jasmine. She looked at him and nodded slightly before beginning to talk with her father.

Aladdin smiled, thinking he had won a small victory, and ate his food in silence. It was a great moment, sitting there across from Jasmine, both looking at each other every now and then for only a second. Genie kept bursting forth with loud, somewhat humorous jokes that the front part of the table enjoyed. Roseau was talking heatedly with the elderly man across the table in a language Aladdin couldn’t understand. Not that he wanted to either. He was perfectly content stealing quick glances at Jasmine and laughing occasionally at a joke Genie had made but that Aladdin himself had not heard.

The older man seemed to have noticed Aladdin’s presence near his own and stopped eating for the time being to interrogate Aladdin. Aladdin could have gone through the meal without this, but as the older man had gotten Jasmine’s attention as well, he tried to seem as though he didn’t care.

“So, Aladdin. You say you are a friend of Jasmines’ and Genies’. How did the three of you meet?”

Aladdin looked up from his baklava and bit his lip. “Um...well, I found Genie’s lamp in a secret underground cave. He was a prisoner to the lamp back then, and he granted me three wishes. But on the third wish I set him free.” Aladdin said all of this very quickly to make it less dramatic and to keep some questions from being asked.

They were asked anyway. “Then you were the one who brought Genie here? To the palace?”

Aladdin smiled lightly and shrugged. “Yes, I suppose I did.”

The older man’s eyebrows lifted. “And why did you bring them here? You’ll have to forgive my rudeness, but I’ve been wondering why on earth you were here so many years ago, like you mentioned.”

Aladdin gave Jasmine an inquisitive look, and she suddenly found her own voice. “Aladdin defeated father’s royal viser, Jafar, who had made attempts at taking over the throne. Ever since then he’s been conquering monsters and defeating sorcerers all the time.”

The woman with the large diamonds spoke up when she heard this. “So then Aladdin is the city’s hero?”

Jasmine shrugged as she took a sip of her water. “I believe you could say that. Right, Aladdin?”

Aladdin looked at her, confused again. Why was it that everyone was referring to him as a hero now? He certainly didn’t feel like one in front of all the rich royals, staring at him as though he was something they simply didn’t understand. But he did shrug too, and dropped his glance to the tabletop. “I guess you could say that...”

But Genie, listening in on the conversation, wasn’t willing to let it go. “You could definitely say that, no question about it! Aladdin is a hero, always has been. Remember the time we defeated the T-Rex and saved the tribe on top of that forgotten mountain? Or the time we took on Mozenrath at Dagger Rock? Or the time we defeated that gang of al-Muddi and saved the trade route? Or the time-”

“Genie...” Aladdin muttered sternly under his breath. “I don’t think all these people care about those things...”

Genie looked perplexed. “Why not?” He looked around at the table and softened his voice. “It was a beautiful, sun filled day. Aladdin and Jasmine were walking around an oasis, minding their own business, when suddenly Aladdin was trapped in the dark, smelly black sand. Mozenrath appeared and try as Jasmine might, she couldn’t free him. No! It was me he wanted and he kidnapped Aladdin to get to me and my power.” Genie stomped his hand on the table. “But Jasmine and I were too smart for him. We went with a small group of guards, disguised, and found our way to Dagger Rock. Only with Aladdin’s stubbornness and Jasmine’s quick thinking did we make it out alive.”

The entire table sat silently captivated by Genie’s tale and everyone looked over to Aladdin and Jasmine at the end. The elderly man seemed angered by the story, as though it had pointed something out to him he hadn’t realized before. He set down his glass of wine and looked solemnly at Roseau, who kept his gaze on the table. Aladdin had his face in his hands and was focusing on his dinner plate to avoid any stares. Jasmine was advertently looking up at the stars, as though that hoping one might come crashing down on the table to put an end to the awkward pause.

Genie, on the other hand, was apparently under the impression that he had just done something obligatory and was hoping for a laugh and a nod from Aladdin. Aladdin, though, did not seem to be able to give him any sort of comprehension to all that had passed.

It was the elderly man who finally broke the silence, and Aladdin was surprised to find that he hadn’t even changed his tone. “So Aladdin is the city’s hero? How typical.”

Jasmine looked over immediately and glared coldly at the man. He shrugged slightly as though he had said a simple, obvious thing and then hastily explained himself when Roseau gave him the same look as Jasmine. “That is, so typical that the poor and kind young man destined for greater things would triumph over such adversity. It is a tale as old as time, as they say, after all. Aladdin, the young hero of the city whom no one thought would amount to anything more than a common thief. He must be the type to always win. Always.” He looked at Aladdin with a challenging smile on his face and a hint of superiority in his eyes. Jasmine looked away.

The elderly man was trying to bring down Aladdin, and show the rest of the table- and perhaps even Roseau and Jasmine- that Aladdin was nothing they should be keen on. However, his attempts went in vain, for the lady in the large diamonds spoke up again. “Well, even if the idea is trite and typical, the plot can always be different. Aladdin must have braved many adventures and accomplished many things that perhaps even you, Sultan Beccaria, would not even imagine. I say we let Aladdin share his tale.”

The rest of the table seemed to nod slightly in agreement, as though this was the best idea they had heard all night. To Aladdin, and maybe even his friends, it seemed like a trap, and a sly one. Jasmine looked wearily at Aladdin and Genie as though this was something they had to endure, but Aladdin gave the Sultan a importunate look that spoke volumes.

“Er, well, I say that would be a fantastic idea at a later date. Perhaps we could invite you all back sometime to hear it? But I believe that as this is the party to celebrate the engagement of my daughter and Prince Roseau, we should focus more on the happy couple and leave other tales, though delightful they may be, for a bit later.” The Sultan spoke firmly and gazed around the table with a look that settled the matter. Aladdin was happy the Sultan had spoken up for him, and that he didn’t have to relive any tales and look stupid in front of Jasmine trying to be entertaining.

But wait- did he say the party for celebrating Jasmine and Roseau’s engagement?

So that was what this was all about- it was an engagement party to celebrate their future marriage. Aladdin put his fork down at the thought, though it had been poised in midair on the way to his lips. He, Aladdin, had been invited to an engagement party for his old girlfriend, who he still loved, and the man she now did.

Well, that was good to know.

The rest of the meal commenced in silent chit-chat amongst the guests. Aladdin, finding he had lost his appetite, merely drank the rest of his glass of wine in quiet and waited impatiently for the party to end. It almost changed everything now that the party was to celebrate Roseau and Jasmine’s engagement. Could he really try and sweep Jasmine into his arms when she was at an event to cherish a new union of love with someone else? The thought made Aladdin feel guilty and he forced himself not to think about it. Jasmine had been his before, and he had only lost her when this dim-witted prince had arrived showing off his golden camels and purple peacocks. Aladdin argued inside his head that he had nothing to feel guilty about, and that Jasmine belonged to him and not the red prince. But then was that even true? Could he be sure that Jasmine preferred Aladdin to Roseau?

Aladdin’s head was so full of questions that had no answers, that he hardly noticed the rest of the table stand and proceed to the other side of the fountain. He was jerked awake and aware by Genie, who had pulled Aladdin up roughly and hissed, “Come on, go and get a dance with Jasmine before Roseau does.” Aladdin looked up at him bemused, but quickly strode over to the dancing area, leaving his fears and, unfortunately, his debonair attitude behind him.

The dance area had been inlaid with large, smooth bricks that had been put down in a circle. Aladdin stumbled as he stepped onto it, noticing for the first time that it was there. He had little time to gawk however, as the music instantaneously began to play. It was a faster song, Aladdin was afraid, though it would prove the perfect time for he and Jasmine to converse without much eavesdropping. He gazed up hopefully around the circle, as though praying Jasmine was already taken so he could have more time to work out in his head what he was going to say. So far, he didn’t have much.

He saw Jasmine instantly. It was like their eyes knew exactly where the other was when they were looking for each other. Jasmine had been surveying Aladdin as though hoping he would be the first to ask her, but before she could so much as give him the right look, she was swept away by Roseau, who laughed as he pulled her into the center of the dance floor. Aladdin lost her in the midst of all the people (there had to be, what, two hundred of them?) and reluctantly found a seat on the side and sat down.

He was thinking hard, but also trying to find Jasmine, so he could see how he would approach her. She looked beautiful, he thought, but that was no different from any other day or night and he casually shrugged that off. What he was most concerned about was whether or not she was happy. Would she try and dance with him? Would she search him out? Or would she completely forget he was even there and spend the entire evening on the arm of her husband-to-be? If he was happy, he didn’t think he could talk to her tonight. He would not be able to try and destroy her happiness, not matter how much it killed his own.

Aladdin’s thoughts were interrupted when a squat, good-humored looking man sat down next to him and chuckled slightly. But Aladdin was too busy to notice who it was and frankly didn’t care. Probably some guest who had come to tell Aladdin that most of the other rich people in attendance thought he was a joke. Aladdin was far too used to that to even attempt to listen. But he did catch a few words of what the man was saying to him.

“...she looks so happy out there, doesn’t she?”

Aladdin, stuck in his own world and sure the man was talking about something else, agreed. “Yes, she does.”

“Time will do that to a person. Or perhaps it’s merely the dancing. Women love to dance."

Aladdin nodded curtly, not thinking about what the man was talking about. “Uh huh.”

“Dancing, I always say, is the way to a woman’s heart. Most of them adore dancing. Even if they don’t particularly like the person they are partnered with. What do you think?”

Aladdin shrugged in small agreement, keeping his eyes locked on Roseau and Jasmine as they proceeded through the formal steps. “Yeah.”

The man laughed. “Yes, then, we agree. Take for instance Jasmine there, dancing with her fiancé. Have you ever seen her look so happy?”

Aladdin sighed, still not looking at the man, and hated to agree. “No, I don’t think I have.”

“Well then, it must be the dancing. She has been around with Prince Roseau for almost a year now, and she looks the most enthralled I have seen her yet. Is it because she is with the man she loves? No. Is it because she is having a party thrown in her honor? No. It is because she is dancing the night away while the man she loves never takes his eyes off her.”

Aladdin felt a pang in his stomach that he knew didn’t have to do with the food he had just eaten. Again, he had to agree. Jasmine did look very happy and she did look very much in love. He sighed deeply and closed his eyes. He knew he couldn’t say anything to Jasmine, not yet anyway. Perhaps not ever. The man was right- she looked happy and enchanted because she had the man she loved dancing the night away with her and knowing that his love would never waver. It was almost like a fairytale for her, with her prince in shining armor having saving her from unpalatable pain, and giving her love that she never dreamt possible. But then, Aladdin mused, he had caused that pain and he was no where in sight in that fairytale.

The man, having gotten no response from Aladdin, patted him on the back and walked away. Aladdin still hadn’t taken his eyes off of Jasmine. He hoped- he prayed- that maybe if she just looked at him one time, one last time, that he would be able to deal with all the hardships and all the pain he would have to endure for the rest of his life. Just one look and he might be able to move on. Just one.

The Sultan walked away from Aladdin, shaking his head slightly and moving towards Genie. It was customary for the host not to dance until the tenth song played, and he hurried over to have a word with the jinnee about Aladdin. The old ruler was worried for the boy, and he knew that something wasn’t right. Maybe it was the fact that Jasmine had never really looked at Roseau the way she did Aladdin. Maybe it was the fact that Aladdin would never stop loving Jasmine. Whatever it was, the Sultan found himself rooting for the underdog, the little guy, the one who stood less of a chance of being with his daughter.

Genie looked up grimly as the Sultan stood next to him and gave the small ruler a tiny smile that showed something was wrong. “What’s wrong with Al? Why isn’t he out there dancing and making Jasmine fall in love with him?”

“I was talking to him and he never even looked at me. He kept staring at Roseau and Jasmine as though there were no way for him to win my daughter back. It was a sad sight indeed.”

Genie looked up. “What’s that? You support the reunion of Al and Jas?”

The Sultan shrugged and bobbled his head. “Well, as her father, I’m not really supposed to take sides in the matter, being that I only want what’s best for my daughter...” Genie gave him a knowing smile and raised his eyebrows. “Oh, very well. There is something about Roseau that I honestly dislike. I’m not sure why, but there is something about him that makes me feel he has something hidden. Something secret that he won’t even share with my daughter. And I don’t like it Genie, not one bit.”

Genie grinned and nudged the Sultan with his shoulder. “Was that a 'yes’?” The Sultan nodded hastily. “Oh good! Welcome to the club!” Genie snapped his fingers and suddenly he was dressed in a suede jacket, holding a briefcase. He opened it up and took out some forms. “All right, I need you to sign here.” The Sultan looked confused, but obliged. “And here. And here. And here. And initial here. And then here. And here. And here. And-” The Sultan gave him a reproachful look, and Genie shrugged. “We like to make sure our members are fully committed.” With a wave of his hand, the files and jacket were gone, and in their place a small button attached to the front of the Sultan’s robes. It was a small circle, colored red, in which the letters 'A.J.T.A.” stood alone in golden letters. It was a small pin, but noticeable.

“It stands for 'Aladdin and Jasmine Together Again’. Or 'Aladdin and Jasmine’s Turbulent Affair”. Which ever you prefer. Wear that so everyone knows what you stand for. The reunion of the most romantic and perfect couple you’ll ever know. If you want, I’ll even throw in a little something extra for your support.” He changed the Sultan’s turban into a baseball cap with the same letters stitched onto the front. “No? Stick with the pin.”

The Sultan smiled politely and said, “Thank you, Genie. I suppose I’ll wear it with pride. Though, if anyone asks, don’t tell them what it stands for.” Genie saluted and nodded in agreement. “Good. Oh! Is that the tenth song? I’m supposed to be dancing!”

He bounced away quickly, the tiny bells on his golden shoes jingling against the music. He ran up to Jasmine and bowed to her quickly, as she did back. Together, the two of them set off across the dance floor, with Roseau smiling at them and the elderly man looking goaded.

Aladdin was determined to keep looking at Jasmine, though the pain in his heart only worsened with each moment of viewing. He thought of all the happy times they had had together, and all the not so happy ones. He thought of nearly every moment they had been together, of when he had been thinking of her, and it was as though his life had never really started until he had met her. Could he really just walk away and never be able to look her in the eye again?

As cocky as Aladdin was at times, it was equal to the amount of hopelessness he felt right then. No, it hadn’t just been right then, it had been since the minute he saw the parade of Prince Roseau. Everything from that point on clouded his present with doubt, worry and grief. He was a different man, as men went, and he was sure he had never really known fear until this situation. Until that very moment when he watched Jasmine twirl around the dance floor, her eyes never meeting his own, as the red prince clapped and laughed along with her.

Genie could sense the fear in Aladdin’s eyes from across the dance floor. He had seen the look before, on Aladdin’s face, but had never imagined the intensity of it could be so high. What he saw when he looked at his friend was not a man who had braved a thousand monsters and had come to be called the Hero of the Sand- he saw a man who couldn’t be sure whether it was night or day, a man who couldn’t be sure of his own shadow, a man who would never get back that thing that had been taken from him.

His happiness.

Feeling that this was not going the way he had planned, Genie quickly went over his friend and pal to give him a few words of encouragement. He knew what was coming later on, and it wasn’t good for Aladdin to be so upset over a little thing like dancing. After all, Aladdin had more courage and bravery than in any person Genie had seen, and he was so sure that Aladdin could break away from the doubt that shrouded him with just a little nudge in the right direction.

And so Genie did just that- he gave Aladdin a little nudge in the right direction.

Before Aladdin could even realize what had happened, he was skidding around the dance floor with the large woman in his arms, tossing and swirling around it with the other couples. He was confused and began to panic, until he realized that Jasmine was watching him intently out of the corner of her eye. Aladdin, not wanting to seem nervous under her stare, got his state about him and paced around the floor with the woman who smiled and helped him along with the steps. It was just another dance now- just another obstacles to overcome. A quick dance would be no problem compared to facing a real life wind jackal, right?

Iago flapped over to land on Genie’s shoulder, who looked embarrassed and anxious about something. Iago, though, knew what it was about. “What the heck was that? I don’t think Aladdin wanted to dance with the lady whose neck is bigger than his is.”

Genie blushed and shrugged quickly, “I thought I would help him along a bit...”

But Iago rolled his eyes. “Well the next time you want to pushed him the right direction, make sure you have good aim. I mean, Jasmine was on the other side of the floor, for crying out loud!”

Genie glared. “Well I didn’t see you giving Al any help. You were probably the one who brought his confidence down!”

Iago rolled his eyes once more. “Please. I’m helped the kid tonight already, I’ve done my good Samaritan deed. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go smooth talk that gent over there into giving me a nice ruby for being such an intelligent bird.” He flew off, heading for a man in the corner with rubies practically stitched into his clothing. But before he made it there, he made sure to fly through Aladdin and the diamond lady to break them up and squawk something out about helping the poor birds of Agrabah.

Now that Aladdin was free and his fingers could relax (after having to grasp the diamonds and fingers of the rich woman he had been dancing with), he turned his eyes to find Jasmine to see if she needed a partner. He found her quickly, and though she had already attracted a crowd of rich men all surrounding her, she too found his eyes and smiled slightly to see him working his way over to her.

Aladdin approached the group apprehensively as though they were an exclusive club he was not in. The eyes of the dozen or so young men that made up the crowd turned to Aladdin and chuckled to themselves at his sight. He knew he must have looked like a beggar compared to the men, with his absence of a dozen sapphires glazing his fingers, but one look from Jasmine gave him something he was sure the other men had never had. He spoke up, his words shaking slightly. “Um, Jasmine?” The other men glared at his lack of propriety. “I mean, er, Princess Jasmine?” She frowned at these words. “Would you like to dance?”

The other men laughed and one of them said plainly, “I’m sorry boy, but Princess Jasmine is busy right now. Perhaps you could come back when we finish our conversation about the growing amounts of poor people who have no common sense.”

Aladdin knew the words were meant as a jab, but they were poorly put together and not at all threatening. “Perhaps then I might join in the discussion later about stately people who think they’re above the rest because they have jewels and servants and no common decency?” He knew he might have gone too far, as the man clenched his fists and gave Aladdin a look that was beyond repugnance. Jasmine, on the other hand, grinned slightly and held out her hand to Aladdin.

“As a matter of fact, I would love to dance with you, Aladdin. Please excuse me, gentlemen.” She brushed past them in a plain way, as though not to be rude. She walked with Aladdin out into the dance floor, and both seemed to sense many people watching them, as though wondering what was going to happen.

The introduction to the song came on, and Aladdin bowed his head to her in a sign of respect. Jasmine sighed, as though saddened by the thought that Aladdin would think he had to do such things, and curtsied in her own royal way. But before he could hold one hand out for her to take, she had pulled in his hand around her waist and grabbed the other to hold in the air, clearly wanting to get on with the dance part of the dancing.

They twirled for a moment around the floor, as Aladdin stared at Jasmine as though she was a treasure he had just found. She tried not to look at him, afraid already of the stares and the whispers that followed them around as they swept about the floor. She looked to one side, saw that they had nearly the attention of everyone in the vicinity, and sighed again.

“Aladdin?” She murmured slightly, not hardly moving her lips and still not looking into his eyes. “Why did you come here tonight?”

Aladdin barely noticed the looks of those around them and instead focused on the tone in Jasmine’s voice. Was she wondering why he had come for her? Or why he loved her? Her words stung a bit, as though she were asking him to simply leave her alone and be gone from her presence. The very thought of it made Aladdin feel sick to his stomach. Even the thought of the very thought made him want to gag.

But instead of voicing out all of these concerns to her as he knew he should have done, his reply came in the mere form of a shrug. “Why shouldn’t I have come?”

Jasmine sighed once more, as Aladdin’s thoughts raced past him as to the reason for it. “I just figured you wouldn’t have wanted to come to the engagement party.”

That was it. That was all she said. “Well, if I had known this was your engagement party, believe me Princess, I wouldn’t have come.”

Now, of all times, she turned to look at him. “Why do you have to do that?”

“Do what?”

She rolled her eyes, though Aladdin noticed they had begun to glisten in the dim lighting. “That. Have that tone in your voice that says you blame me.”

Aladdin twirled her to one side, so that she would look at him as they danced. “Blame you? I don’t blame you. What should I blame you for?”

Jasmine almost dropped her hands contained in his. “Why should you blame me? You did it again! Pretending all of this never happened and that I merely betrayed you in some way that could never allow us to be friends again.”

Aladdin almost dropped his hands away from her. “Be friends again? Is that what you want? You want us to be just friends, after everything we’ve been through, and after everything we’ve fought for?”

A single tear slid down Jasmine’s cheek. “I just want everything to stop hurting.” She whispered.

There was a silence between them, and both wondered how much longer the song was going to last. Jasmine kept her head down, away from Aladdin’s eyes, as though ashamed of something. Aladdin numbly kept his focus straight, continuing to look out at the sea of people amassed around them. He caught sight of Genie, who attempted to give him a thumbs-up, but Aladdin only frowned, and looked away, afraid to look anyone in the eye. Especially Jasmine.

Because deep down he did feel like he blamed her, and he knew very well that he should not. She had been alone, helpless in a way, and he had just left her. He had left her with unfinished promises and a bleak hope of the future. He had abandoned her, and she had moved on with her life like she would have in any other situation.

Although he knew she wasn’t to blame, he then wondered who exactly was. Was he at fault for all this tragedy occurring? But then, he hadn’t wanted any of it to happen. He hadn’t wanted to leave the city and all those he loved for some stupid quest and aimless wandering that lasted the better part of his life. He barely knew where he had gone to, let alone have wanted to leave. It couldn’t have been his fault, could it?

The song came to a close, as the music died away and the couples all stopped dancing. All of them, that is, except for Jasmine and Aladdin. They stood there together, moving only a little to have it be called dancing, completely enticed in their own little worlds and thoughts. They were both thinking, but not of the same things. They were both dancing, but not to the same rhythm. And they both loved, but not the same people.

Aladdin couldn’t have heard the music (or lack thereof) even if he had tried. His head was swimming with the very last thing Jasmine had said, the very last thing he had heard. I just want everything to stop hurting. He could not describe the effect the words had upon him, so lasting did they resound in his mind. He was surrounded by the words, choked by them, suffocated by them. He wanted to get away from her, from there, but his legs didn’t seem to be able to move. His mind wasn’t in control anymore- only his heart.

Aladdin had realized what she had said and it scared him beyond anything. It scared him and frightened him because he knew the truth behind the words. He realized why they were so significant to him. He felt the exact same way. It was almost as if the words had come out of his own mouth instead of Jasmine’s.

Jasmine attempted to pull away from Aladdin, to walk away and go somewhere else, but her hands were grasped firmly within his own and she found she could go nowhere. She pushed their tangled hands against his chest to get his attention and gave him a pleading look that he did not notice nor comprehend.

“Aladdin...” she whispered tearfully, fully aware of the room around them. “Please...”

He finally acknowledged her presence and bent low to whisper in her ear. “Do you want me to go? Is that what you what, Jasmine? Because I will go and I will never come back. Just tell me now. Am I fighting for all of this, for us- am I doing it in vain? Should I stop now and spare us both the grievance?”

Jasmine turned to look him square in the eye, with her jaw set and her mouth pursed. She stood there for a moment, and then said in a clear and almost definite voice, “I want you to tell me why you left me alone all those lifetimes ago. Answer me that, Aladdin, and then we can be okay. And then maybe everything will go back to the way it was. But not now. Not now.”

She pulled away from him, both physically and emotionally, and he watch her walk over to Roseau and smile to him. She walked away from Aladdin and she smiled at Roseau. But it was not the same smile as it had been before, Aladdin noticed. It was a smile from force- a smile that did not light up the area, or cause those around to smile along too. It was a smile that told Aladdin quite plainly he had better get a move on and find out why he had been gone for so long.

Carpet and Abu bounced and flew over to Aladdin, unknowing energy beaming from them. Abu grinned with a look of question and Carpet placed a tassel on Aladdin’s shoulder sympathetically. They paused for a moment, each looking at one another, while Aladdin continued to gaze at the smile on Jasmine’s face. And then he did something he would have never expected- he grinned too.

He turned to Carpet and Abu, who looked bemused. “I think it’s time to look for my past now.”

Abu turned his head to one side, confused. Carpet looked thoughtful for a moment, obviously thinking. Suddenly, he seemed to get the message and circled around Aladdin in an excited way. Aladdin laughed. “Yep, that’s right Carpet. You guys ready for another adventure?” Abu squeaked and nodded earnestly, as Carpet flew forward to go and find Genie. Aladdin followed. . He was ready for an adventure, and he was ready for a look around. He wanted to make things the way they were before, and he figured the best place to start was with his old hobbies.

Before Aladdin could make it across the dance floor, however, the music had stopped playing and the crowd had all stopped dancing. The only real movement was Aladdin’s haste to get to Genie, but he ceased his walk when the others gave him a severe look. He stood, looking around, trying to figure out what was going on, with Abu on his shoulder. The little monkey shrugged with an, 'I dunno’ escaping his frowning mouth. Aladdin put a shoulder on the man in front of him to get a better look at the thing everyone was staring at.

He saw Roseau, Jasmine, the Sultan and the elderly man all together on the left side of the dance floor. There was a hushed presence around them, as though one of them was about to make some sort of speech. It was Roseau who finally spoke up, looking eagerly at the crowd.

“Ladies and gentlemen! I call to your attention the time-honored tradition of wedding engagements in Presse!” He was handed a velvet blue box by a servant from the back. “It is tradition in my kingdom of old for the man to marry to present his future bride with a gift that shows his true devotion to her for all time. And for my dearest Jasmine, I give her something that is worthy of her beauty and status, something that can only enhance her essence and make me love her even more.” He opened the tiny box, and Aladdin saw the large, gold necklace encrusted with colossal red diamonds that Carpet had been retrieving from the throne room when Aladdin had arrived. How it had fit inside the small box, Aladdin wondered. Roseau held it up for everyone to see and turned to look at Jasmine. “My love, please accept this as a token of my love for you, and cherish it as I treasure you. Forever.”

The crowd applauded approvingly as Jasmine put her hand over her chest, as though surprised at such a gift. She smiled graciously at the crowd, and then Roseau, and took the huge piece of jewelry Aladdin could never have seen her wearing. It was too much splendor for one person to wear, even when that person was more beautiful than the desert sky. Aladdin shook his head as Roseau placed the necklace on Jasmine and continued his walk to Genie. He had to find out the answers to the past six years, and he needed to find them fast.

___________________________________

More coming soon.

e-mail me.